• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

teleport+homeguard is going to be the new meta.

Pro teams are going to create whole strats around it. Ward bush, Malphite or Jarvan TP in with homeguard and dive tower at 100 miles an hour.

mercviper

Step off the platform, spend mana and then pop them, step back on the platform to refresh Flask+Homeguard. You can do the same for top/mid lane. Blow some mana somehow, pop all three Flask charges, instantly refresh them, walk to lane with boosted regen. Similarly, you can speed up regen on the platform by popping your Flask as soon as you back as well.

If you're Teleporting somewhere and you have Flask, there's literally no reason to not get three stacks of Flask regen running before TPing.

Oh true. I forgot about the mana portion of the charge. Yeah that'd do it. Kinda makes flask a mini-homeguard when you think of it that way.

scy

Fact of the day: Rlyai's slow effect makes Liandry's torment always proc the double damage.

On the other hand, Black Cleaver doesn't benefit from the Armor Reduction on the swing that procs it. That is, you deal your damage and then cause the Armor Reduction to happen; you don't benefit from that Armor Reduction until the next attack.

Also fun fact: Banner of Command works on player minions (e.g., Elise Spiderlings).

teleport+homeguard is going to be the new meta.

Pro teams are going to create whole strats around it. Ward bush, Malphite or Jarvan TP in with homeguard and dive tower at 100 miles an hour.

I'M HELPING out of nowhere.

I think Kiunch needs to do this at some point next time he plays Nasus. Nasus dives turret out of nowhere ... to wither. And Q them in the face. And wither. Mostly wither.

zkylon

zkylewd
Kage's has solid upgrade paths and getting "free" AP on a GP10 item is always good. There's really no reason to not get Kage's at some point, honestly.
I just find that there's always better things to buy. 25 AP isn't really important as a support (Sona's Q does 20 more damage or something, she heals maybe 5 more HP?), and for 765 you could buy items to upgrade your Aegis, a gemstone, an oracle's, etc...

edit: you could argue it's free AP, but unless the match's super safe and you know it's going to be a long one, I think it's safe to skip it.

It's a must-buy on supports that turn into off-AP carries, though, like Lux, Zyra, Morg, etc...

erragal

I typically play Zyra support. Her mana expenditure in lane is pretty minor, enough so that Flask+Biscuit will last several minutes in lane. It also depends on how starved for mana you are. Flask is 120 Mana on demand; Faerie Charm needs 200 seconds (3m20s) to restore the same amount, an additional ~90 seconds (4m50s) if you factor in the biscuit (+50 Mana restored, stacks with Flask if you need to speed up the regen), though you have access to the biscuit as well. You also need to factor that Faerie Charm isn't actively regening whenever you're full on mana, though I suppose this time is limited to when you're walking to lane and basically never again during lane.

Flask + Biscuit gives me 5 minutes in lane worth of sustain. At ~20 GP10, that's roughly 600 gold. About when I'd be going back anyway.

Flask is fine if you're playing a more relaxed, zoning playstyle. You still forgot the fact that I also have 2 or 3 mana pots in addition to a biscuit and the charm which gives me the ability to dump mana onto them and just bully them out of lane. A lot of item buying for supports depends on your matchup/lane strategy as well. Against sona I don't ever go so heavy on mana regen because you can't really out harass her sustain, you set that lane up to be more patient.

I don't play Zyra so I'm not sure on her ability to aggressively bully with excess mana. I do know she has tons of safe, cost efficient zoning that causes problems if you're playing thevlane purely as a "gain my carry cs advantage". She's probably more dangerous now with how much easier it is to get ap as a support mid to late game. Reminds me to use more ori support now too.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You don't find 25% flash cooldown useful? Captain is great if you're initiating for the team. Homeguard is probably my favorite because you heal instantly at fountain and can reach inhib turret so easily.
I'm sure some of them are fine, I just have a hard time justifying the cost or finding a time where I think they're the right choice. Captain in particular feels very expensive to me. I get why people would like them but for me I'd rather take another item that builds into something bigger.

erragal

I just find that there's always better things to buy. 25 AP isn't really important as a support (Sona's Q does 20 more damage or something, she heals maybe 5 more HP?), and for 765 you could buy items to upgrade your Aegis, a gemstone, an oracle's, etc...

It's a must-buy on supports that turn into off-AP carries, though, like Lux, Zyra, Morg, etc...

I dont like the mentality that aegis is even always a support item. Its poor thinking...not all supports are tanks and the item has been the most efficient defensive item forever now. Bulwark just makes it the goto item for your bruiser needing mr. Now that there are so many varieties of very potent support items its about team comp as to who should be focusing on am early aegis. If I'm supporting as Taric or Leona or tanky lulu... yes I'm going to try and rush it...but if I'm janna or lux or zyra I could become more useful to the team with a shard, crucible, etc.

mercviper

I'm sure some of them are fine, I just have a hard time justifying the cost or finding a time where I think they're the right choice. Captain in particular feels very expensive to me. I get why people would like them but for me I'd rather take another item that builds into something bigger.

Captain is pretty niche, but now you can spend that extra oracles money (because who buys that now) toward reducing your flash/ghost/teleport cooldown by 25%, which considering how key those spells are to any fight I find very worth the 475 extra gold.

zkylon

zkylewd
I dont like the mentality that aegis is even always a support item. Its poor thinking...not all supports are tanks and the item has been the most efficient defensive item forever now. Bulwark just makes it the goto item for your bruiser needing mr. Now that there are so many varieties of very potent support items its about team comp as to who should be focusing on am early aegis. If I'm supporting as Taric or Leona or tanky lulu... yes I'm going to try and rush it...but if I'm janna or lux or zyra I could become more useful to the team with a shard, crucible, etc.
I really like it, so I tend to buy it most of the time I play support, but sure, varies from champion to champion and I wouldn't suggest it on a Lux unless necessary. On my other full-time supports (Sona, Janna, Leona, Soraka) I buy it every time, though. If you're going to go off-AP carry with Lux or something, feel free to go Athene's or whatever, your role is to support through a constant barrage of snares, stuns, slows, shields and harass.

scy

Honestly, I wouldn't buy (or at least, not prioritize) an Aegis on a support anymore. They have better options for their support items (e.g., all the actives) and Aegis/Bulwark is now a go-to tank item, not necessarily a support one. Mikael's more-or-less replaces Aegis as the non-GP10 support built item.

And I suppose we need to take a step back here. Is the argument that Kage's (and the upgrades) are not worth it? Kage's is GP10 with AP. This improves every single trade (20 damage per Sona Q isn't insignificant over the course of a few trades, though I believe 25 AP is +17.5 Q Damage for her).

Getting Sightstone + both GP10s running is, to me, the best use of your first ~2500 Gold. This sets you up to afford the items you need for later and gets you the support items you'll be wanting down the road (Shurelya's, Shard).

Flask is fine if you're playing a more relaxed, zoning playstyle. You still forgot the fact that I also have 2 or 3 mana pots in addition to a biscuit and the charm which gives me the ability to dump mana onto them and just bully them out of lane.

I didn't forget them, I was just comparing it to the Faerie Charm part you brought up. Yes, potions change things up but, honestly, I'd rather have the Flask for periodic use over a few backs to lane. Remember, I can sell it back for 90g when I no longer need it. It's a short-term 225g investment, long-term 135g cost.

As for Zyra, she is more of a zoning support but she still sets up all-ins with a well placed E. She does play relatively safe until Level 2, though, since nothing to do but land an E until then.

I'm not entirely sure how many supports need ~800 Mana worth of sustain for 5 minutes of laning to be honest. I find that most my support bullying isn't necessarily mana limited.

Edit: I suppose it comes down to this: My preference in lane is to have a bit of sustain on my first, second, third, etc. trip to lane. That's worth it, to me, instead of having more sustain for the first trip.

A lot of item buying for supports depends on your matchup/lane strategy as well. Against sona I don't ever go so heavy on mana regen because you can't really out harass her sustain, you set that lane up to be more patient.

Do you mean Soraka? Sona is the kind of support you do want to put damage on early. Though, really, the same applies to Soraka. You want to try and get rid of her before she gets her sustain engine running.

brian!

in S2 it became normal for a jungler to make it, but it was also normal for a jungler to be a tanky utility gp5 character

like the support aegis mentality came from the expectation that supports would mostly function on the utility of their spells and supplement with auras, in lower level games where supports make a good amount of money (less green pink wards and oracles, etc.) this meant like a weird consistent core of aura items, which S3 is trying to actively avoid. when an aura minded support builds an aegis, a zekes, shurelias, and then thinks "now what" and builds a locket just because

I think soda cop said something about bulwark being mostly good in teams that need to MR which makes sense to me; as a stat aura item though, it mainly existed in this way: your team w/o aegis is not as good as their team w/ aegis so you should buy it. with support items becoming more situational I think "sneaking" an aegis in will play more of a part in aegis building

erragal

I'm not entirely sure how many supports need ~800 Mana worth of sustain for 5 minutes of laning to be honest. I find that most my support bullying isn't necessarily mana limited.

Do you mean Soraka? Sona is the kind of support you do want to put damage on early. Though, really, the same applies to Soraka. You want to try and get rid of her before she gets her sustain engine running.

I don't always use all of the pots, either. Its usually if I'm running Zil(mana hungry) or Lulu against a melee support I can abuse. I definitely understand the use of flask, and ability to resell it I just find it more worthwhile as a health item as opposed to relying on the mana if you need to build quickly up for an ult/full combo in lame.

Sona isn't really vulnerable to actual ranged harass if she's played properly. Ideally you want to all-in her at level 1 after a few pokes...that's not really a mana intensive situation. To be honest I haven't seen a soraka in months and when I do it just turns into a passive farming lane.

Solune

You sound disappointed :p

I thought of trying her as a jungler but with new jungle being tough and all, I figured I'd give it a week or so, so someone makes a good guide or something.
Not disappointed, just curious since you were looking for female jungler and Diana is screaming the role now in S3. I suck mid Diana, feed all day eeryday lol.

Honestly I haven't changed anything with the way I jungle, only the item build and masteries have changed really. I have something like 16/7/7, although if someone has optimized builds I'm all ears. Definitely always jungling with machete > spirt of wraith, then usually guise into rylais are torment then rylais.

Diana is kind of insane in that, even if you miss your Q, you can still rush in with R and burst someone down during a gank.
Yeah, I've been meaning to buy her iceborn but so far I've just gotten to buy the glacial shroud. I have a thing against Rylai's and RoA, so I pretty much never buy them :p

Oh, if Scy's item was to get guise, Rylai's is basically my go to item. Iceborn is really neat, it's great for Skarner/Malph etc. Don't know if going Iceborn is better than going Triforce though on Skarner...

zkylon

zkylewd
Honestly, I wouldn't buy (or at least, not prioritize) an Aegis on a support anymore.
Maybe with the new patch Aegis isn't so worthwhile on supports, I'll have to check, but I've grown fond of it. I just adore the tankiness it gives me.

They have better options for their support items (e.g., all the actives) and Aegis/Bulwark is now a go-to tank item, not necessarily a support one. Mikael's more-or-less replaces Aegis as the non-GP10 support built item.
My problem with Mikael is that it seems to think I have no control over my mana or something. Maybe I should replace my mana regen masteries for movement speed, etc., to make it worthwhile, but it just builds over two useless items on a support and the active feels aimed towards pro players with 0 ping. I mean, stuns last an average of two seconds, I don't have the reflexes to cleanse someone in less than that...

And I suppose we need to take a step back here. Is the argument that Kage's (and the upgrades) are not worth it? Kage's is GP10 with AP. This improves every single trade (20 damage per Sona Q isn't insignificant over the course of a few trades, though I believe 25 AP is +17.5 Q Damage for her).
I don't like what it builds into, really. Shard is good in theory but I haven't managed to get to use it even once, Morello's gives me a ton of mana I don't have use for, but otherwise it's alright if they have a Mundo or Yi or something, and I don't even know what to make of the ghosts.

Getting Sightstone + both GP10s running is, to me, the best use of your first ~2500 Gold. This sets you up to afford the items you need for later and gets you the support items you'll be wanting down the road (Shurelya's, Shard).
Gotta test, what you say makes sense so we'll see. I haven't been gold dry with just one GP10 just yet (running 4 points greed, pickpocket, 2 GP10 quints and philo).

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Rylai's doesn't seem great on Sejuani anymore. Her clear is so god damn fast now though. Even the first clear I just blaze through.

mercviper

So I was kinda worried about Skarner when the S3 Jungler spreadsheet came out and had him rated as 45 out of 57 champs tested, and after a couple games with him I'm gonna have to say hogwash because he's still pretty beast. The clear seems similar to what it was in S2 after his nerf, which should actually be in his favor since most everyone else slowed down. :x

The items are so good now too. My new core is Machete+5 into Spirit Stone + T2 boots (Currently Mobility but I definitely have to try out Swifties+Homeguard with teleport now.), rushing an Iceborn Gauntlet. If you need more tank after that/they have a lot of CC, turn your Spirit Stone to one of the Ancient Golem, otherwise build Wit's. In place of Wit's, I do want to try Twin Shadows/Rageblade/Gunblade. After that, some mix of Aegis/GA/Liandry's/Scimitar would be interesting.

zkylon

zkylewd
Not disappointed, just curious since you were looking for female jungler and Diana is screaming the role now in S3. I suck mid Diana, feed all day eeryday lol.

Honestly I haven't changed anything with the way I jungle, only the item build and masteries have changed really. I have something like 16/7/7, although if someone has optimized builds I'm all ears. Definitely always jungling with machete > spirt of wraith, then usually guise into rylais are torment then rylais.

Diana is kind of insane in that, even if you miss your Q, you can still rush in with R and burst someone down during a gank.
Can you lend me your full build, or maybe a guide (or both :D)? I don't know how to jungle at all and I'll take all the help I can get.

As I make amends with her overall playstyle I think I'll feel more comfortable trying her in the jungle.

mercviper

Oh, if Scy's item was to get guise, Rylai's is basically my go to item. Iceborn is really neat, it's great for Skarner/Malph etc. Don't know if going Iceborn is better than going Triforce though on Skarner...

It's definitely way better than Triforce for Skarner. Triforce before was purely an "I'm ahead and want to build damage" item on Skarner. The tank stats it offered were very slim for the cost. Now you can build Glacial Shroud, which I always debated on building that or Sheen first, AND Sheen and have them both merge into something super useful for you (guaranteed slow proc on first hit so you don't have to run through minions to gank) for 800g less.

Man I thought I'd really like Graves but he plays so weird lol.

I mainly use Darius anyway..could people tell me what kind of build they use on him with the new update? And what kind of runes, I'm only level 22 so I haven't bought any runes yet.

EXGN

Man I thought I'd really like Graves but he plays so weird lol.

I mainly use Darius anyway..could people tell me what kind of build they use on him with the new update? And what kind of runes, I'm only level 22 so I haven't bought any runes yet.

I wouldn't change my Graves build too much. BloodThirster, PD, Last Whisper, GA/QSS>Mercurial. Runaan's Hurricane can be alright on him because it helps get his AS buff up faster, but it honestly doesn't seem like it would be that great for him.

I wouldn't change my Graves build too much. BloodThirster, PD, Last Whisper, GA/QSS>Mercurial. Runaan's Hurricane can be alright on him because it helps get his AS buff up faster, but it honestly doesn't seem like it would be that great for him.

Thats around the same build I use for ADC, but I meant Darius lol, sorry if I wasn't clear

Ken

I think sight stone is great during laning phase on support when all you really need to lane is dragon and tri. Use the remaining 2 charges on a temporary emergency ward if their jungler is in lane bush or some thing. Not buying wards early on helps save money to build bigger items. I do think once laning ends the support needs to buy real wards.

scy

Darius build probably won't change that much for Season 3. Frozen Mallet and tank stuff, really.

Is it just me or is getting an Avarice Blade early on as an ADC really good since it provides superior gp10 if you can farm well and builds into a replacement for PD?

I think that may have been their goal. With how good Statikk Shiv is for ADCs (dat kiting), kind of makes it hard to pass it up for a farm lane. Plus, hey, that random crit can totally win you the lane!
Zero sarcasm.

Ashe E + Avarice Blade + TF + Pickpocket :D

Next game I get the chance, I'm totally running Pickpocket on Nidalee in top lane. Because experimenting.

Edit: Koi Nami splash:
Nami_Splash_1.jpg

LCGeek

formerly sane

I disagree. Staying with the old isn't always better. There are some other solid damage builds with their own strengths and until riot nerfs some of them will leave them for adcs to figure out.

Scy see this one.

Was gonna do your idea up to 3 bcs and see what my final choice should be. The damage was sick was enjoying 3-6 shot deaths and the speed was something I haven't see on adc in a long time. If ez ever pulled up for an ult I could kill him often before it would finish. Would love to see a game play out with this build but unless it's close I see most teams giving in to a adc that is protected with this. The amount of life they lose is too much to fight once a cc has been well placed.

Blizzard

Banned
Aren't the brutalizer passive(s) still unique? I almost expect the black cleaver passives stacking to be an oversight, and changed in the next patch or two. I'm not necessarily saying it's too powerful, but I wouldn't be surprised if Riot removes it.

scy

I disagree. Staying with the old isn't always better. There are some other solid damage builds with their own strengths and until riot nerfs some of them will leave them for adcs to figure out.

Hurricane and Statikk Shiv are the most likely additions to the ADC line up. Not much else besides SotD mid-game plays.

Was gonna do your idea up to 3 bcs and see what my final choice should be.

A fourth BC, duh!

Aren't the brutalizer passive(s) still unique? I almost expect the black cleaver passives stacking to be an oversight, and changed in the next patch or two. I'm not necessarily saying it's too powerful, but I wouldn't be surprised if Riot removes it.

They made it non-Unique. It's still to be considered under testing, though, so it may change in the future.

Swig_

Anyone have a link to a good S3 support mastery build? Or builds for all roles? I've got it fleshed out for most of my roles, except jungle and support.. Can't deicded what to take..

Telaso

Banned
Nhat Nguyen was playing today, meaning hes probably already figured out the support stuff, i plan on copying his stuff tonight :)

zkylon

zkylewd
Next game I get the chance, I'm totally running Pickpocket on Nidalee in top lane. Because experimenting.
I think that might be pretty good if you're against someone like Darius. You just harass harass harass and the margin by which you normally would win the lane extends as you proc your Pickpocket.

If you were set against, say, a Yorick, I don't think it'd be too useful.

Edit: Koi Nami splash:
I like her face in this one a lot better and she has less dumb boobs. Kinda want, kinda makes me hungry for some sushi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom