• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Gonna have some 15 minute queues because every champ select will be Nami ban->queue dodge.
This is why you play blind pick. At least then the turnaround is quicker -- instant queue dodge when you manage to click Nami before someone else, rather than them waiting 5 minutes for the game to be about to start, then dodging at the last second.

Pantheon: TEEMO??? FREE LANE FOR ME.
Duo Bot: DW WE GOT THIS WE'RE A DUO.

Pantheon becomes first blood.
Duo bot feed Graves/dies to minions.
Perhaps it's selective memory, but I feel like ALMOST WITHOUT EXCEPTION, if anyone is talking trash or bragging about how they will "rape" or "destroy" or "whatever" their respective target champions, they will end up losing.

And often not just losing the lane, but feeding in it, going down in flames, spamming chat for 10 minutes about how their ping is 800, and so forth. Like, it's probably a good idea to just plain dodge if someone brags about how they are going to crush Teemo etc.

Agkel

Perhaps this is not the perfect place to ask for an objective advice but I'm thinking of starting to play MOBA games and was wondering what the main difference between this and DOTA 2 were. From what Ive looked around, the main thing seems to be that supports in DOTA 2 are more fun to play.

As for background, I am a very quick learner and I'm pretty good at objective based / team based games, therefore different learning curves would not affect my decision in which to pick.

inky

Perhaps this is not the perfect place to ask for an objective advice but I'm thinking of starting to play MOBA games and was wondering what the main difference between this and DOTA 2 were. From what Ive looked around, the main thing seems to be that supports in DOTA 2 are more fun to play.

As for background, I am a very quick learner and I'm pretty good at objective based / team based games, therefore different learning curves would not affect my decision in which to pick.

Not really. Some supports in Dota (and even non-supports) are boring as hell to play too, like Crystal Maiden (eww) and some supports in LoL can be super fun (like Leona). They probably told you that because the support role in Dota is a bit more flexible compared to LoL, especially going by lane composition, but I wouldn't say that is a fair assessment.

The games are different in the sense that Dota 2 has more little mechanics to take into account, which LoL simplifies in favor of accessibility. The interaction with your hero character and the others is also different between the two games. Both games have their own complexities and are hard to master, but Dota can be a bit more cumbersome while climbing the initial learning curve.

I would suggest you play a couple of matches in both and get a feel for them. I personally like them both for different reasons.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
CM is a viable roamer/ganker/jungler. That is, she can move from lane to lane when opportunities arise to apply pressure or help someone getting pressured, while pulling jungle creeps in between to get some exp. There are lots of supports that can do this, actually, owing to the abundance and power of CC in DOTA 2.

This kind of support character does not really exist in League, Alistar is the only one that came close and I'm not sure if people do roam Alistar anymore.

The main difference between DOTA 2 and League is that League is a streamlined and simplified variation of DOTA2, with less variety and synergy and more of an emphasis on learning set roles.

inky

CM is a viable roamer/ganker/jungler. That is, she can move from lane to lane when opportunities arise to apply pressure or help someone getting pressured, while pulling jungle creeps in between to get some exp. There are lots of supports that can do this, actually, owing to the abundance and power of CC in DOTA 2.

I just meant that her kit can be boring if you are playing hard support. It's not necessarily that the role is more fun in Dota 2. It can be just as boring as playing Soraka.

Of course, people don't roam from lvl1 in LoL, but that has more to with the static jungle and champs being geared for a specific lane setup.

Agkel

I see, I understand it's not as simple as "X is better than Y, period". It's good to hear then that LoL has fun support. Well then I will be going out of town for the Holidays and I will only have my laptop to play and considering that both seem interesting to me I guess I could start with the least resource hoggerrequired first and try the other once I return back home.

For reference I can play Torchlight II on my laptop on med-high settings just fine.

edit: To clarify I'm asking which one requires lower specs to run well

dave is ok

aztek is ok
The think the role itself is more fun in Dota 2.

There's just more to do. Denying, Pulling, Stacking, etc.

Although Leona is the greatest ever.

Agkel

Reading a little bit more on the web tubes, I can see LoL would be a better entry point for me and aligns well with my likings (except the whole pay 2 unlock faster thing).

Thanks for the answer guys, perhaps Ill come back in the future if I really get into the genre.

Boken

Banned
Agkels you better advert your eyes from this...

to everyone else,
THIS IS A PSA:
DO NOT PLAY WITH BLEARGH
8pmPd.jpg

1/10; angry player would not play with again

Ferga

But but but..... you can't call the most frequent players on GAF, "gaftards". I mean, scy and boken are in the top players from gaf!

It don't make no sense gerrr darnit!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Agkels you better advert your eyes from this...

to everyone else,
THIS IS A PSA:
DO NOT PLAY WITH BLEARGH

1/10; angry player would not play with again

maybe he should fix his sub 50% winratio in ranked before judging other people.

Haly

I just meant that her kit can be boring if you are playing hard support. It's not necessarily that the role is more fun in Dota 2. It can be just as boring as playing Soraka.
It can be, but there are options, whereas supports in League are almost always pigeonholed into babysitting the ADC (or weird banana lanes like Leona/Jarven or Leona/Blitz). The idea of "support" in DOTA 2 just encompasses more concepts than it does in League.

Options is the name of the game in DOTA2.
League, probably. But as long as your computer has come from the last 4 years or so it shouldn't have a problem running either.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I see, I understand it's not as simple as "X is better than Y, period". It's good to hear then that LoL has fun support. Well then I will be going out of town for the Holidays and I will only have my laptop to play and considering that both seem interesting to me I guess I could start with the least resource hoggerrequired first and try the other once I return back home.

For reference I can play Torchlight II on my laptop on med-high settings just fine.

You should be able to run both games no problem. I run DOTA2 with some of the fancy stuff like AA, Ambient Occlusion, Fog, and Shadows turned off/on low and it runs fine. DOTA2 runs better on my PC then Torchlight 2.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Not my fault this community is full of baddies that can't tell their heads from their asses.

Blizzard

Banned
This game made me soooo sad. I finally went Eve mid after a long break.

eve2pwril.jpg

51-minute loss. Xin fed top for 4-5 levels, then wandered around stealing jungle and XP from other lanes, then ragequit. I don't think he ever typed anything. Plus our Kogmaw and/or our Maokai were apparently lagging, so I think we had at least two key pushes where Kogmaw suicided into the enemy turret/team defending it, when we might have otherwise been able to take it.

I really tried so hard and it was still futile. :(((( Oh and I had AD masteries by accident, I think.

Agkel

Again, thanks for the answers.
I already downloaded LoL and started the DL on DOTA, since you guys say it will run well on my laptop. Like I said I though, I will probably start with LoL. Having read some more on forums and what not, it seems that LoL will help me get the nuances and tactics of MOBA faster,without punishing me as hard as DOTA for my mistakes. Once I feel comfortable playing I'll give DOTA a try and then decide which one to play actively.

Edit: Oh wow, I just saw a match as spectator, or something to that extent and this really looks fun. The youtube videos dont convey as much detail i guess. I would get into a match and the whole shebang now but it's already 3 am over here. I'm pretty excited tho! :)

zkylon

zkylewd

I play a lot of support and it can be a lot of fun if you don't care so much about the spotlight of getting all the kills. It's exciting because you feel like more of an strategist, timing big objectives up, creating opportunities for the other players, granting vision, etc., but also then actually actively entering combat and turning fights around through skill and smarts.

Also, LoL will pretty much run anywhere, though Dota's prettier.

inky

Why the fuck can't they make a single decent looking Lux skin? Ugh.

Can't believe spellthief is still the only decent one.

Haly

"when" probably
LuxSquare.png

"WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY"
*lasers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom