• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercviper

No ult Annie? No problem.
MBcJZ.jpg

atmjk.jpg

Still won. Probably helped they had AD Orianna. :x

Did you lag out? Sometimes when I lag out all my skills get greyed out. Reconnecting doesn't fix it but it somehow works again after maybe 5 mins.

All my uni friends play LoL and I'm finally ready to get into it. I read the OP but are there any resources you guys could recommend me? I've watched my friends play quite a bit so I know what I'm getting myself into, but a summary of champions or a newbie's guide would be nice.

Ken

All my uni friends play LoL and I'm finally ready to get into it. I read the OP but are there any resources you guys could recommend me? I've watched my friends play quite a bit so I know what I'm getting myself into, but a summary of champions or a newbie's guide would be nice.

when you play say top or feed to assert your dominance

I don't really know of any guides to teach the game basics (I TOLD YOU GUYS WE SHOULD MAKE ONE) but places like solomid and lolpro have good guides for specific champions. Most won't teach you how to play the overall game though.

There are some guides on solomid.net under the general category that could help get you started

Blizzard

Banned
No ult Annie? No problem.

Still won. Probably helped they had AD Orianna. :x
Stupid question, but I assume you tried using it to make sure it wasn't just the texture missing? One game I had all champion faces on the map surrounded by gray blocks, and all minions on either team replaced by gray blocks on the map.

Another game, any time someone would ping, the minimap would show a huge square growing out, and I think some other texture was also gone.

mercviper

Stupid question, but I assume you tried using it to make sure it wasn't just the texture missing? One game I had all champion faces on the map surrounded by gray blocks, and all minions on either team replaced by gray blocks on the map.

Another game, any time someone would ping, the minimap would show a huge square growing out, and I think some other texture was also gone.

Wasn't a graphic glitch. In the first screen you can see it considers me to have 3 ranks of it already at lvl 9.

As you can see in the second screenshot I have skill points to spend but nowhere to spend them.

Blizzard

Banned
Wasn't a graphic glitch. In the first screen you can see it considers me to have 3 ranks of it already at lvl 9.

As you can see in the second screenshot I have skill points to spend but nowhere to spend them.
Sorry, you're right. I'm glad I haven't had that happen to me. :/

scy

It seems to be an Annie specific bug right now (well, PBE Katarina has one too but she's already been disabled).

Ferga

Guide to play Lol:

Just play. Don't read any guides. Play.

After you reach level 10, you should know what champion you like. Now go to solomid.com and read and watch a guide on your favorite champion. Don't buy runes yet.

Play some more. When you are level 30, see whether you want to get better or you just want to play the game for fun. My brother has 700 games played and doesn't care about getting better, he only has fun with tower diving with his friends. If you want to get better at the game and play at a higher level, focus on creep kills and gold. Always compare yourself to the enemy and slowly understand what every single champion in the game does.

If you still want to get better, watch pro streamers. Watch how high level players play and learn from there.

If you're up for harsh but friendly criticism after this point, play with the higher elo gaffers. We can be mean but what we say will usually help you to be better at the game. And big tip for playing with GAF is to not rage at reasonable advice

E.g. If you're not doing well in a game and a gaffer tells you some mistakes that you're doing, don't tell them to piss off or stfu. Accept the advice and play to the tips you were given. Don't try to defend your own play if it's bad. It makes everyone angry at that point.

Guide to play Lol:

After you reach level 10, you should know what champion you like. Now go to solomid.com and read and watch a guide on your favorite champion. Don't buy runes yet.

Play some more. When you are level 30, see whether you want to get better or you just want to play the game for fun. My brother has 700 games played and doesn't care about getting better, he only has fun with tower diving with his friends. If you want to get better at the game and play at a higher level, focus on creep kills and gold. Always compare yourself to the enemy and slowly understand what every single champion in the game does.

If you still want to get better, watch pro streamers. Watch how high level players play and learn from there.

If you're up for harsh but friendly criticism after this point, play with the higher elo gaffers. We can be mean but what we say will usually help you to be better at the game. And big tip for playing with GAF is to not rage at reasonable advice

E.g. If you're not doing well in a game and a gaffer tells you some mistakes that you're doing, don't tell them to piss off or stfu. Accept the advice and play to the tips you were given. Don't try to defend your own play if it's bad. It makes everyone angry at that point.

lmao stfu uninstall

I want in on this harsh criticism from high elo gaffers action where can I sign up

Raide

Guide to play Lol:

Thanks. Probably the best advice.

The Archer girl in training, is she pickable later? I joined a co-op vs bots match and she was not to be seen. I have to pick someone new and ended up with Graves (Gun dude I think) He was actually pretty fun. Need to play more characters. I need to prefer Ranged but a good Support would be interesting to get good with.

Ken

The Archer girl in training, is she pickable later? I joined a co-op vs bots match and she was not to be seen. I have to pick someone new and ended up with Graves (Gun dude I think) He was actually pretty fun. Need to play more characters. I need to prefer Ranged but a good Support would be interesting to get good with.

List of free champions changes every week.

You can gain IP by playing the game and use that to permanently unlock champions.

Inskipp

Ashe (archer) costs only 450IP, which can be acquired in 3-4 games.

Teammate of the day:
0/5 Vayne with 1/3rd health chases a full health Anivia (with passive) into the bush. You know what happened next.

I was Morgana, repetitively pinging her to fall back while running after her to try to get within shield range. She died then whined I was too slow.

Same Vayne decides to farm wolves after we aced the team and were pushing mid.

Same Vayne wanted to engage after the enemy team revived. She only had half health, the enemy had Amumu while the rest of us were running away. Holy crap she kept engaging and disengaging while I was throwing my dark binding, shield and exhaust trying to save her.

We won, and she was the first (and only one) to trashtalk. I was so glad we had a good Cait and someone switched to Malphite. Vayne locked in after Cait already picked.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well I mean it can go both ways.

You can just as easily say: Why does Riot only make fire/frozen skin variants omg so unoriginal!!! I wanna see Riot actually use that k-pop Ahri skin that was posted awhile back.
Well I dunno about other fire/frozen skins, I just focus on Lux because I like her. The Ahri thing is just a play on Firefox which I thought was kinda clever, looks good and is prized reasonably, so I used it as a positive example, that's all.

Ferrio

Banned
I have a goddamn curse on me. Starting to get really pissed off. Only wins I seem to get is when I can get mid as diana and hand the game to them on a silver platter. I swear I've only had like 2 game in the last ten that someone other than me has won their lane.

Ferrio

Banned
ferrio's jax making da big plays

??

We lost. MF went into super backdoor mode. Boots of mobility, hurricane. She did some damage.. but then they just got wise to it and would kill her and take us out.

I lost my lane too, didn't know how to fight irelia as jax. I almost got the first kill on her.. but I got greedy chased her to tower, she turned around healed up bigtime and kicked my ass.

Ken

??

We lost. MF went into super backdoor mode. Boots of mobility, hurricane. She did some damage.. but then they just got wise to it and would kill her and take us out.

I lost my lane too, didn't know how to fight irelia as jax. I almost got the first kill on her.. but I got greedy chased her to tower, she turned around healed up bigtime and kicked my ass.

I mean that fight in middle when you flashed overwall with counterstrike to save a 10 HP Malzahar.

The last team fight you spent most of the fight wailing at a Fiddle with Zhonya. I think you could have won that and bailed before Irelia got there since you guys nuked Swain if you had jumped Draven instead of letting him hit you for free.

Ferrio

Banned
I mean that fight in middle when you flashed overwall with counterstrike to save a 10 HP Malzahar.

The last team fight you spent most of the fight wailing at a Fiddle with Zhonya. I think you could have won that and bailed before Irelia got there since you guys nuked Swain if you had jumped Draven instead of letting him hit you for free.

Ya, realized that after it was too late.

Ferrio

Banned

Ya, realized that after it was too late. Even then I'm not sure, they're whole team was potent.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
??

kill a backdooring MF? for shame; gingerbread-man tactics are op on MF if you ward properly.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Guide to play Lol:

LoL GAF has never said anything harsh to me.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

archer girl is called ashe; and she's only 450 IP; you can probably afford her already.

Ferga

LoL GAF has never said anything harsh to me.

People see "advice" differently sometimes.

"you need to work on positioning" can make people appreciate and try to improve while some people will get mad over it and start weird arguments trying to defend their bad positioning.

Dat human defense mechanism

Snowman

Playing with gaf sounds like fun, I take it you're all on the NA server? Would you mind playing with someone with no runes/masteries? :)

Ken

Playing with gaf sounds like fun, I take it you're all on the NA server? Would you mind playing with someone with no runes/masteries? :)

There's a few people still working their way out of pre-30s so yeah.

shadowamlet comes to mind and maybe that Raide fellow. That's all I can think of since Ashhong graduated and Pandagaf is close to 30 already.

Get Tristana and Alistar for free if you haven't already. Then buy Ashe, Garen, Annie (and/or Ryze), Soraka, Master Yi and Nunu. They're all 450 ip, they're all pretty good and easy to use. That leaves you with 2 and a half tanks (one of which scales very well as a melee fighter, if you wish it so), 2 supports (both great and one of them is also a formidable tanky jungler), 2 ranged attackers, a melee attacker and 1 (or 2) mages. In other words, you can play any lane/role with very respectable champs. After that, get Xin Zhao (incredibly easy to use and very useful). By that point you'll be more than fluent enough, anyway.

Agkel

Here's a little update and a few questions.
First of all, I'm glad I picked up LoL and I'm sure I will like DOTA 2 once I start playing. I'm loving it and the only minor downside is that matches sometimes can get pretty long, allowing me to only play 1 match per sitting. So far Ive played 5 matches, 2 victories, 2 defeats, 1 leave (got disconnected).

Which brings me to my first question. I got an email saying I got an infraction and that im a leaver at lv 1 and to lower said infraction I need to play full sessions. Where can I see my infractions?
I played most of my matches with Graves and found him fun, but kind of hard to master. Is Graves a good champ and what champs are good for someone like me who's barely starting?
And last question for now, Is the digital deluxe offer worth it? I'm thinking of buying it and getting graves with the rp they give you with the pack (if Graves is a good champ).

Boken

Banned
Here's a little update and a few questions.
First of all, I'm glad I picked up LoL and I'm sure I will like DOTA 2 once I start playing. I'm loving it and the only minor downside is that matches sometimes can get pretty long, allowing me to only play 1 match per sitting. So far Ive played 5 matches, 2 victories, 2 defeats, 1 leave (got disconnected).

Which brings me to my first question. I got an email saying I got an infraction and that im a leaver at lv 1 and to lower said infraction I need to play full sessions. Where can I see my infractions?
I played most of my matches with Graves and found him fun, but kind of hard to master. Is Graves a good champ and what champs are good for someone like me who's barely starting?
And last question for now, Is the digital deluxe offer worth it? I'm thinking of buying it and getting graves with the rp they give you with the pack (if Graves is a good champ).

The digital deluxe is worth it if you plan to play lots + like playing lots of different champions. (TBH, 10 free per week will keep you occupied for a while).

Graves is a good champion. I think the best champion types for beginners depends on how the person likes to play - if you like charging in and getting into people's faces, then bruisers are your thing. if you like blowing people up before they have a chance to react, then mages are your thing, and if you like standing at the back, dealing lots of damage to everybody, then ranged dps (graves is one).

Personally, I think mages are the easiest, since they are the simplest to understand (blow up a person and then wait for cds). Annie is a good one to start since her Q ability teaches last hitting and makes farming easier.

And yeah, games average around 30-40 minutes long. There are modes which are shorter in length, but the 5v5 map is the most popular.

Raide

Get Tristana and Alistar for free if you haven't already. Then buy Ashe, Garen, Annie (and/or Ryze), Soraka, Master Yi and Nunu. They're all 450 ip, they're all pretty good and easy to use. That leaves you with 2 and a half tanks (one of which scales very well as a melee fighter, if you wish it so), 2 supports (both great and one of them is also a formidable tanky jungler), 2 ranged attackers, a melee attacker and 1 (or 2) mages. In other words, you can play any lane/role with very respectable champs. After that, get Xin Zhao (incredibly easy to use and very useful). By that point you'll be more than fluent enough, anyway.

Thanks all.

Getting into the game now and understanding things a little more. Still need some more games before I jump into a full player vs player match.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Just giving you an example of something I said to you

was it supposed to be harsh? i just assumed you wanted to see if i recognized some of the mistakes i had made.

If thats harsh then thats some serious 'babies first bm' level stuff. the closest to harsh i've seen was kayos tearing into a lvl 16 shyvanna on mumble.

Inskipp

Where can I see my infractions?
I could be wrong, but I believe the amount of leaves are hidden. You can only see your amount of leaves within ranked games.
Is Graves a good champ and what champs are good for someone like me who's barely starting?
Graves is a decent all-rounder, although I personally dislike his short range (other carries can potentially zone you out). But if you like him then you should definitely go for him.
Is the digital deluxe offer worth it?
If you look at the monetary/IP- value, it's worth it in the long run. The combined value of the roster it contains is about 25200 IP (or 10505 RP). That's four 6k champs worth of IP.

Boken

Banned
was it supposed to be harsh? i just assumed you wanted to see if i recognized some of the mistakes i had made.

If thats harsh then thats some serious 'babies first bm' level stuff. the closest to harsh i've seen was kayos tearing into a lvl 16 shyvanna on mumble.

I know some people who would have a cry about it

Graves is one of the easiest ranged champs to master, actually. And he's incredibly versatile as he sinergizes very well with pretty much everyone due to his very basic and straightforward skills. And he's undoubtedly one of the top tier champs in his type.

As for other champs, check my previous post up there. Start with good, easy and cheap (450 ip) champs and try out all the roles and champ types to see what suits you. Then come back when you know which champ type you want to main and we'll point you in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom