• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

The worst is when they threaten with what heroes they'll play if they don't get their desired role:

"I'M GONNA GO TEEMO IF YOU MAKE ME GO SUPPORT"
"IF I DON'T GET MID I'm GOING SUPPORT VEIGAR"

honestly, I just need to dodge whether someone says that, or if someone picks Veigar

zkylon

zkylewd
I dodged a support twitch, jungle fizz and mid nocturne today.

I also got verbally abused for buying flask on adc even though I was ahead all game.

I got abused for not warding as an adc.

Abused all game by a premade because I built iceborn gauntlet on ezreal.

And the game where everyone was nice, everyone fed

Elo grind real terror
lol yikes

I got told I had no map awareness because I didn't help a Lee that got himself trapped in the enemy jungle and got Noc ulted. I BET THOSE WOLVES WERE WORTH IT

Also, first match I ask mid, one guy says "I'll mid but I can support if not mid". I mid, the guy doesn't buy a single ward, lane gets ganked to hell and back. Second match, another guy calls mid, I think to myself, okay take it, mid guy feeds.

IMBECILES

Ferga

Elo grind for me:

OK LET'S BREAK 1_00 today! LET'S DO THIS!

After game 1: well that didn't go well but I've got my music on and my mind is still pumped!

After game 2: ok, I'll break even and then stop.

After game 3: I hate my life.

During game 4 I AM GOING TO WIN THIS AND BREAK EVEN GOD DAMNIT. FUKTHISSUKGAME AREGGHGGGGHGHGHGG.

End up losing a few elo but screw it. No more ranked for another week.

Ashhong

Dodged the fuck out of that ranked game. After playing a nice relaxing Akali game, I got into the next lobby where my team consisted of: Eve, Alistar, Volibear, GP, Warwick.

The warwick was last pick and super pissed that I took top lane after he "called" it. So they of course turned on me and called me a "lane stealing faggot" to which I was just like "well I'll take the 30 minute hit to get away from you guys" and dodged it out.

People seriously need to chill the fuck out about their "call" and just play the cards that are dealt to them. Fucking pricks

Eh, maybe there's no need for their name calling, but I find that dickish. I believe in calling though. Why not just play something else when you can obviously see that they are so upset? If you are such a standup guy, try to make the team happy.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Elo grind for me:

After game 1: well that didn't go well but I've got my music on and my mind is still pumped!

During game 4 I AM GOING TO WIN THIS AND BREAK EVEN GOD DAMNIT. FUKTHISSUKGAME AREGGHGGGGHGHGHGG.

2 losses in a row warrants a break or just closing the game is the #1 rule for me.

lol yikes

I got told I had no map awareness because I didn't help a Lee that got himself trapped in the enemy jungle and got Noc ulted. I BET THOSE WOLVES WERE WORTH IT

Also, first match I ask mid, one guy says "I'll mid but I can support if not mid". I mid, the guy doesn't buy a single ward, lane gets ganked to hell and back. Second match, another guy calls mid, I think to myself, okay take it, mid guy feeds.

IMBECILES

And my buddies wonder why I don't join in the madness of ranked LoL. There is just no winning sometimes.

IsayFever

Eh, maybe there's no need for their name calling, but I find that dickish. I believe in calling though. Why not just play something else when you can obviously see that they are so upset? If you are such a standup guy, try to make the team happy.

My chat log didn't show the "call" so I picked 2nd. Then without telling me until he last pick's ww is when this whole thing started

IsayFever

Oh, well that's different then. What did you pick? Did they not say anything about your pick when you first chose it?

I picked Volibear because he's super strong and stuffff, and nothing at all was said until AFTER the last pick. Literally the chat box was empty until then

IsayFever

Don't mind playing mostly TT. I honestly like it more than SR since we can experiment a lot more

I think the problem is we just have too many good friends that play with us to just exlusively play TT. Gotta play SR every now and then, but I wouldn't mind just playing TT and getting diamond there

Neki

To be fair, being last pick means you're lowest elo, meaning you're at the mercy of everyone above you. I don't mind letting someone else call something when they're last, but if someone else takes the spot "they called", I'm not going to stop them. Just because you call mid every game before every else does doesn't mean you "deserve" to go mid every game.

Ashhong

To be fair, being last pick means you're lowest elo, meaning you're at the mercy of everyone above you. I don't mind letting someone else call something when they're last, but if someone else takes the spot "they called", I'm not going to stop them. Just because you call mid every game before every else does doesn't mean you "deserve" to go mid every game.

I'm not saying they deserve it, but don't complain about him when you don't exactly do anything to absolve the situation.

Obviously it worked out differently in the case here, so I'm speaking generally.

zkylon

zkylewd
http://www.reignofgaming.net/tier-l...786-competitive-tier-list-update-for-season-3

I know it's shit but it's nice to see Lux on tier 2 along with Karthus, Riven, Malph, etc. For some reason I feel she's gotten a lot better on S3, even though she's still got the "missed the kill for 5 hp" curse...

---

So, I've gotten fed 4/4 matches I've played with Anivia to the point it's ridiculous. I'm trying to figure out a build, I don't really like Archangel Staff all that much, so I'm thinking RoA + Athene + Rabs. And I'm gonna buy her, she may not have boobs, but she plays like she does. Also I'm gonna buy Cait/MF the moment one of them gets a good skin on sale.

And my buddies wonder why I don't join in the madness of ranked LoL. There is just no winning sometimes.
Of my 15 or so ranked matches, I'd say I played bad only one, because I've been doing mostly mid, and some people are just beyond carrying, really.

Ranked is difficult, you have to be in a state of mind that the moment the match start, you're playing on borrowed elo, and some people can't take it. I'll get mad over losing my elo but I won't start yelling at people over it. If you throw the game, I'll let you know, but getting to the point where you actually insult another person because they made a mistake or aren't good enough is just crazy to me, I don't really have that mentality. And people that have, should probably stay the fuck out and it'd make it a better place.

As for calling stuff, I usually honor it, and if I don't I'll try to be nice about it. It helps that I pretty much never feed on mid so even if I don't win my lane (which is already a bad thing), the other guy won't leave lane feeling victorious.

scy

I wouldn't really put much stock in an Elementz tier list.

Because sometimes that won't be the best way to win.

Edit: Ideally, the best route is to make sure everyone is on a role they know how to play. You don't really know ahead of time how competent someone is in a role they're calling, especially at low elo ranges, however, so role calling is kind of hard to "trust" at times.

Ken

How to play ranked.

Never dodge.
Pick order above all else.
Never dodge.

You can always regain ELO but you can never hide the shame of your name being in the "I'm going to eat a 30+ minute penalty because I'm not a man" pop-up.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, like I said, it's a pretty shit list, but hey we all have our waifus to look out for.

Because sometimes that won't be the best way to win.
Being dickish pre-match doesn't ever make sense because people are just gonna do worse that way, I've met very few people that work better under distressful situations, so there's that.

But I know the best thing for the team is for me to go mid, so I'll go mid even if someone else doesn't like it, just try to be nice about it and don't make them regret it.

I'm super nice during matches, I'm always fearful someone's gonna go rogue and start feeding or something.

I've had a Vladimir once just disconnect because my brother didn't gank him fast enough, so you know.

How to play ranked.

Never dodge.
Pick order above all else.
Never dodge.
How to play ranked.

Don't play ranked.

Ken

How to play ranked.

Don't play ranked.

There's really no reason not to play ranked unless you are playing with a premade that can't fit into any ranked SR queue. It's free stat tracking, drama, and comedy. You also get a funny little number that no one really cares about so why not play ranked for an experience you can't get from normals!

scy

Being dickish pre-match doesn't ever make sense because people are just gonna do worse that way, I've met very few people that work better under distressful situations, so there's that.

Not advocating being a dick or anything, just that just because someone called something doesn't necessarily mean it's the best choice in the end. Likewise, just because someone is a higher pick doesn't mean that them going what they want is always the best choice either.

You do have to remember that whenever you're thinking that "me going X role is the best option", someone else is thinking the exact same thing.

if you're all convinced you're in elo hell because of teammates, why not duo-queue together?

Honestly, Elo hell only really exists in the short term. That said, it's hard to believe that when you get games with three troll picks or the miraculous everyone-but-me-fed-lanes games.

Then again, I mean ... we have the latter happen in premade games. It happens sometimes. Do what you can to win it when laning ends. Sacrifice "getting even more ahead*" to benefit the team more.

*If you're up like 3 or 4 kills in lane, getting more kills in lane isn't worth your time. Don't sit in lane.

zkylon

zkylewd
I like to overplay ranked's horridness, but most of my matches in S3 have been fair in victory or defeat, sometimes a guy in my team throws, sometimes someone unintentionally gets someone fed, but in whole they have been in one degree or another enjoyable matches and normally the better team won.

Until the Lux-Blitz fiasco, of course. I wish I hadn't deleted the replay, it just defies belief.

Not advocating being a dick or anything, just that just because someone called something doesn't necessarily mean it's the best choice in the end. Likewise, just because someone is a higher pick doesn't mean that them going what they want is always the best choice either.

You do have to remember that whenever you're thinking that "me going X role is the best option", someone else is thinking the exact same thing.
Biggest problem is that champion select is shitty as hell, you have no information of what people is good at except for what little they get to say, if anything at all. I'll try to work things out but you have very few minutes to decide and the only thing I know for sure is what I'm best at, so I just act on that information and see how it goes.

I really think Riot should step up and allow you to pre-select your champion, to be able to preview which champs other players own and be able to favorite some to give your team a few hints before starting the match. Sure, people might lie but I don't think we'd be worse off.

There's really no reason not to play ranked unless you are playing with a premade that can't fit into any ranked SR queue. It's free stat tracking, drama, and comedy. You also get a funny little number that no one really cares about so why not play ranked for an experience you can't get from normals!
I just play ranked when my friends aren't around. Stat tracking and funny little number are the only incentives I could found to dare to venture this game without my possé.

garath

It's a pretty good discussion about calling vs pick order. Really when it comes down to it, it's pick order. Even in normal drafts when you're randomly last 6 games in a row (happened to me), it's a suck it up and play a role you might not be as good at.

However, I always try to communicate and work around preference. Not much you can do when 3 people call mid and all stubbornly refuse to give up, but people have other roles they're good at, just have to find it. Often someone calls a role and then alt-tabs until his turn to pick so not much you can do there either.

On a side note, loved playing Kha'zix over the weekend. So much fun. I love assassin's with gap closers and resets. Didn't really have a bad game with him. Just need more experience with teamfighting. He's so squishy and his ult wasn't as intuitive for me on when to use and how long I'm stealthed for. Just need practice.

Scy, what masteries do you run for Kha'zix? I obviously want mana regen in the util tree, but I was having trouble deciding on giving up some armor/mres/health in defense tree for getting high enough for the armor pen in offense. I guess I should try with 21 in offense and live with the squishier early game.

There's no reason to hate ranked more than normal draft. It's all in your head. It's exactly the same as normal draft with the exception of a longer dodge timer and a visible number. That visible number is the only reason people care.

zkylon

zkylewd
There's no reason to hate ranked more than normal draft. It's all in your head. It's exactly the same as normal draft with the exception of a longer dodge timer and a visible number. That visible number is the only reason people care.
People are worse in ranked because of the number

scy

On a side note, loved playing Kha'zix over the weekend. So much fun. I love assassin's with gap closers and resets. Didn't really have a bad game with him. Just need more experience with teamfighting. He's so squishy and his ult wasn't as intuitive for me on when to use and how long I'm stealthed for. Just need practice.

You stealth to reapply the passive and to kite his auto timer basically. With enough CDR, you can auto-Q-auto-stealth-wait the 1s-auto-Q, repeat on your second (and/or third, if you go the evolved R route) stealth pop.

Scy, what masteries do you run for Kha'zix? I obviously want mana regen in the util tree, but I was having trouble deciding on giving up some armor/mres/health in defense tree for getting high enough for the armor pen in offense. I guess I should try with 21 in offense and live with the squishier early game.

9/0/21. Flask + Cloth (+ Biscuit) start. If vs an AP top lane, can change the masteries to something more offensive like 21/5/4 or 19/7/4 or whatever and just start Flask + 5 pots + Ward.

Edit: Same logic for mid lane picks.

garath

You stealth to reapply the passive and to kite his auto timer basically. With enough CDR, you can auto-Q-auto-stealth-wait the 1s-auto-Q, repeat on your second (and/or third, if you go the evolved R route) stealth pop.

9/0/21. Flask + Cloth (+ Biscuit) start. If vs an AP top lane, can change the masteries to something more offensive like 21/5/4 or 19/7/4 or whatever and just start Flask + 5 pots + Ward.

Edit: Same logic for mid lane picks.

21 util? Wow. That's really out of the box. I'll have to give that a shot.

comrade

Some people are just beyond carrying.

I just had a Lux feed a Blitzcrank on mid. Seriously, HOW

...and so the ranked bubble finally gets popped, three defeats in a row, low 1200s, 10-6.

In some ways it's a weight off my shoulders, now I don't have to worry if this match is the one, because I just know they're all gonna be filled with fucktards.

HELP ME DAVID BYRNE

I had a lux against me mid that pushed the wave from the very first minion. Our Jungle Mundo came from river THREE times in a row and we ganked her every time she came back. At the end of the game the Lux player then told us to report Varus who was 20+/10 for not carrying.

Guesong

Ugh Riot Support.

After 6 days, they finally answer my ticket about my 25 owned champions missing, say the issue is fixed ; I'm still missing 5 champions :(.

And the waiting game begins anew!

Help me Nome!

EXGN

Some people are just beyond carrying.

I just had a Lux feed a Blitzcrank on mid. Seriously, HOW

...and so the ranked bubble finally gets popped, three defeats in a row, low 1200s, 10-6.

In some ways it's a weight off my shoulders, now I don't have to worry if this match is the one, because I just know they're all gonna be filled with fucktards.

HELP ME DAVID BYRNE

Haha, that's pretty awful. AP Blitz is shit, but I could actually see him doing well against Lux since she can't burst him down due to his passive. And by well, I mean, I could see an absolutely awful Lux losing to a mediocre/good Blitz.

scy

21 util? Wow. That's really out of the box. I'll have to give that a shot.

I'm not really a big fan of deep Offense in general. Executioner is lackluster at 21 points since it doesn't really help his burst in a meaningful fashion and 10-16 of Offense feels a bit wasted in terms of mastery point value (then again, Brute Force for 13-14 is ~50 Gold/point). Losing out on the Armor Pen is annoying, I guess, but his post-6 lane poke is mixed damage anyway. That and Black Cleaver and Last Whisper kind of makes losing 5 ArPen not _that_ relevant long term.

Granted, I'm probably mostly running 9/0/21 out of habit at this point but it was initially taken to get me a Flask + Biscuit + Cloth start to get a better early game vs some AD tops and gives a good reason to take any Level 3 isolation for a trade (EWAutoQAuto with Flask + Biscuit charges going) to establish early lane presence. Otherwise, just survive until 6 and then use your wave clear to poke constantly and setup the surprise engage (EW that causes isolation).

I don't want to directly trade very often and I don't think the multiplicative bonuses in mid-tier Defense are worthwhile on an Assassin that doesn't build to take advantage of them and rarely trades blow-for-blow anyway; when you go in, you're definitely going to outdamage them in a single rotation and then work on getting out as fast as possible (or pursuing if they run / stealthing to juke them at close-quarters).

Basically, I give up Unyielding and Block to get a Cloth Armor. Which negates roughly the same damage as Unyielding and Block do anyway and works on what actually tends to hurt you when you go in: skills.

Edit: @Blitz vs Lux Mid - Land grab, win lane. She can't out burst the passive and any grab is essentially a death sentence or Flash used. On top of that, Blitz can just tank a Q or ult cast since the windup animation is enough to land a hook anyway. He'll come out favorably and his passive is one of the best "anti-burst" tools.

zkylon

zkylewd
Lux against Blitz -> place E on top of your minions, spam /laugh

There's no excuse, you're just the worst Lux player ever if you feed a Blitz mid.

garath

I'm not really a big fan of deep Offense in general. Executioner is lackluster at 21 points since it doesn't really help his burst in a meaningful fashion and 10-16 of Offense feels a bit wasted in terms of mastery point value (then again, Brute Force for 13-14 is ~50 Gold/point). Losing out on the Armor Pen is annoying, I guess, but his post-6 lane poke is mixed damage anyway. That and Black Cleaver and Last Whisper kind of makes losing 5 ArPen not _that_ relevant long term.

Granted, I'm probably mostly running 9/0/21 out of habit at this point but it was initially taken to get me a Flask + Biscuit + Cloth start to get a better early game vs some AD tops and gives a good reason to take any Level 3 isolation for a trade (EWAutoQAuto with Flask + Biscuit charges going) to establish early lane presence. Otherwise, just survive until 6 and then use your wave clear to poke constantly and setup the surprise engage (EW that causes isolation).

I don't want to directly trade very often and I don't think the multiplicative bonuses in mid-tier Defense are worthwhile on an Assassin that doesn't build to take advantage of them and rarely trades blow-for-blow anyway; when you go in, you're definitely going to outdamage them in a single rotation and then work on getting out as fast as possible (or pursuing if they run / stealthing to juke them at close-quarters).

Basically, I give up Unyielding and Block to get a Cloth Armor. Which negates roughly the same damage as Unyielding and Block do anyway and works on what actually tends to hurt you when you go in: skills.

Edit: @Blitz vs Lux Mid - Land grab, win lane. She can't out burst the passive and any grab is essentially a death sentence or Flash used. On top of that, Blitz can just tank a Q or ult cast since the windup animation is enough to land a hook anyway. He'll come out favorably and his passive is one of the best "anti-burst" tools.

Good thoughts. I agree on executioner being a bit of a waste, but with all that additional armor pen being right there, just one more point gets it for you so I do it with Talon and Zed.

With Khazix I think I settled on an 18/9/3. Mana regen from util, some MR, armor and health from defense and 2 points in armor pen.

I might give the util tree a shot too.

scy

Good thoughts. I agree on executioner being a bit of a waste, but with all that additional armor pen being right there, just one more point gets it for you so I do it with Talon and Zed.

Zed is a good one for it. I'd do it because his kit comes alive sub-50% anyway (Passive, doubling down on the Executioner bonus with his ult, because his early game ult is awful anyway).

With Khazix I think I settled on an 18/9/3. Mana regen from util, some MR, armor and health from defense and 2 points in armor pen.

I might give the util tree a shot too.

I'd personally do 19/7/4 if you want the MR, 19/4/7 if you'd rather have Summoners up more often :x

Lux against Blitz -> place E on top of your minions, spam /laugh

There's no excuse, you're just the worst Lux player ever if you feed a Blitz mid.

Farming with Blitz in the lane would suck. Just noting that a grab landing would basically be a kill. Especially since it's under turret.

And from my ARAM and SR experience with Blitz, that's the easiest goddamn thing in the world to do against Silver-Plat players since they just walk right the fuck into it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Farming with Blitz in the lane would suck. Just noting that a grab landing would basically be a kill. Especially since it's under turret.
Yeah, clearly it was since he got 4 kills off her and actually found time to roam.

I dunno about the grab being easy to hit, though. Mid players get good at dodging and baiting skillshots, the cooldown is higher than normal for stuns/snares in the lane and the straight line of defensive minions doesn't help either.

It was a Lich Bane Lux, so probably the worst player I've ever seen in ranked.

Inskipp

Granted, I'm probably mostly running 9/0/21 out of habit at this point
I can sort of relate to that. I still remember a time with the old masteries (S1/pre-S1) when you could run 9/0/21 with most champs, and function with reasonable success.

mercviper

I can sort of relate to that. I still remember a time with the old masteries (S1/pre-S1) when you could run 9/0/21 with most champs, and function with reasonable success.

Those were the days. Offense was such a shit tree and any AP got so much out of 9/0/21 in comparison. Defense kinda sucked too so you even had tanks and junglers running it.

However, I don't think Scy's habit relates to S1 masteries. :p

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Elo grind for me:

I stop my grind after one game where bot(me support) went 5-0, mid was winning in farms, but top pick akali into garen. Akali got denied for 15mins, went to mid and demand dragon (everyone was low), when we refused she simple steal cs from mid and let garen free farm top.

I convinced the crying ap mid into going top, then akali gave enemy ap 2 kills. So the team decided to do dragon just to get rid of that akali, after dragon she still stay mid, roam bot and gave 2 more kills. The whole game she been saying "umad", "u still mad", "stop crying" to everyone in the team.

We would win the game if she just afk in top tower, we had such huge lead. I should had dodged when I see the akali cursing people for calling her out when she counter pick herself. I never win a game with those players around.

You know what, all those painful memory on ranked make me want to grind it again. I will do it the next time gaffer go into "ARAM mode".

mercviper

You know what, all those painful memory on ranked make me want to grind it again. I will do it the next time gaffer go into "ARAM mode".

I think I'll join you soon enough. I need to get out of my placement matches. 2-0 so far but all the waiting just builds more pressure. :x

Blizzard

Banned
Last night I got one really nice team of 4 premade that just needed an adc. Their Taric had the bubblegum skin and actually bought a pink ward, holy crap best Taric ever. We did good, other team surrendered.

Then I got placed against the same team the next round and lost to them. :(

scy

I need to play more Wukong. Put skin on sale soon pls.

I dunno about the grab being easy to hit, though.

Was mostly a joke about people always getting grabbed somehow.

Mid players get good at dodging and baiting skillshots, the cooldown is higher than normal for stuns/snares in the lane and the straight line of defensive minions doesn't help either.

On the other hand, mid players are also good at aiming and predicting jukes.

Really, by the sound of things any skillshot CC would've beaten that player (e.g., Ahri Charm, Morgana Binding) :x

Like I said, I did it because I wanted to get a Flask but couldn't in a Cloth + 5 pot start ... instead of just going Flask + 5 pots + Ward to get the Flask that I wanted. Basically, I latched onto "getting Cloth start, how to get Flask with it?" when figuring out a page for him.

Realistically, I could probably just do Flask + 5 pots + Ward and go with 19/4/7 or something instead but I'm just sitting on the page as-is for now.

Also, I've been playing for a few months (well, I guess over half a year now, huh?) so it's pretty unrelated to S1 :x

I really should. But then I know I'll lose like two or three games due to something stupid (22 kill lead, how lose?) and then I'll fall into the trap of hating my displayed ranking (and/or record).

I think I'll join you soon enough. I need to get out of my placement matches. 2-0 so far but all the waiting just builds more pressure. :x

last minute grind man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom