• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wait, you have to win 4 Bo3s and a Bo5 just to get out of bronze?

What?

Leezard

Whoa, will there not be an elo in the same way as before?¨
edit: quote for the new page:
FAQ

Why are we creating a new league system?

We decided to move to the new league system for a few reasons. For starters, having a single ladder with all ranked players doesn't provide a lot of incentive for advancement. When you’re ranked 290,000 and have 289,999 opponents left to pass on the way up, that process can seem meaningless and interminable. Tiers and divisions also provide milestones and manageable goals you can strive to achieve at your skill level. Through leagues we can move away from focusing on a single number as the core indicator of a player’s skill, and instead move toward something more compelling: competition on a small ladder with a relatable number of opponents.

What happens if I lose a ranked match in the league system?

Losing a ranked game in the league system will cost some of your League Points. If you’re already at the bottom of your division, this may mean falling back to the previous division . Once you’ve earned a skill tier, however, you can never be demoted to the previous tier unless you stop playing for a prolonged period of time.

In other words, losing can never cause you to fall below 0 League Points in the lowest division of your league.

Once I’m placed in a league, what happens to my Elo?

Our matchmaking system still matches you by skill level, but this “rating” is no longer visible and does not have any bearing on your seasonal rewards or ladder standing. Your standing in your league is now determined by your tier, division and League Points, not your matchmaking rating.

How does my ranked Elo determine my league placement?

If you’ve played at least five ranked team games or 10 solo/duo games in the preseason, a combination of your current and top Elo rating will determine the tier of the league you initially earn.

How will I be placed into a league if I didn’t play ranked during the preseason?

If you haven’t played enough ranked matches in the preseason, you’ll first complete a series of placement matches before being sorted into a league. How you perform in these matches will determine the tier of the league you initially earn.

Will I only be matched against opponents in my league?

No. Matchmaking isn’t affected by your league, and you’ll still be competing against all opponents of your skill level in the League of Legends community. Your league measures your progress against a set of opponents of similar skill level, but doesn’t restrict competition solely to those players.

What if I want to see how I measure up against my friends?

The league system will always try to place you in a league with summoners on your friends list first, provided they’re in the same skill tier you are. If you want to check your ranking against a friend in another league, you can compare your tier, division, and league points to get a general idea of whose closer to the top.

Do I have to duo queue with summoners from my League?

No. In ranked solo/duo you can still queue with any summoner you choose, regardless of the tier, division, or league in which they’re placed.

Will I have the opportunity to go pro if I reach the top of the ranked 3v3 or solo/duo Challenger tier?

Although there are no League of Legends Championship Series events for 3v3 or solo/duo competitors, reaching the Challenger tier in these rankings will help you find other top notch summoners to play with. If you’re interested in making a run at the Championship Series, try messaging some fellow Challenger tier competitors who aren’t attached to a current 5v5 ranked team. You’ll probably find you have plenty of potential comrades to help you pursue your dream.

Can you walk me though an example of how the league system works?

Sure. For the sake of illustration, let’s take the hypothetical (and non-existent) player Steve McQueen. Steve completes his placement matches and falls into division three of the Silver tier. He’s then placed into a league with up to 250 other Silver tier players. Based on their skill level, these players are evenly distributed across the five Silver tier divisions, so Steve’s league contains around 50 players in each division. When Steve acquires 100 League Points by winning ranked games, he’ll have the opportunity to play a Division Series to move up. If he were already in division one, he’d get to play a Promotion Series to break into a new league in the Gold tier.

I'm really struggling to see the point in playing ranked until S3 proper starts. I can (hopefully) do new placement matches, because the amount of fucking morons I get is incredible.

Take the last game I just played, for instance. First, I call top. some douche locks in Jax. I say fine, I'll support. our ADC guy says "I'll rape bot as Teemo". Now, as you can imagine, alarm bells instantly start clanging in my head, so I say i'll AD because it seems like he wanted to support anyway.

He asks do I want Sona or Soraka. I say Sona, he locks in Soraka. We get into the game and he buys a Doran's ring first. I might as well be inside a bell at this stage. I say "hey dude, we'll really need some wards against a jungle Noctune", and replies with "nah dude I'm a damage support. I'll buy wards next time I recall, trust me".

We get level 2 ganked by a Nocturne (no wards biting us in the ass) and we both burn flash. Oh yeah, she took Clarity and Flash. Not heal or Exhaust like I asked (I should have dodged when I saw clarity). So Jax and our jungle Cho feed their Nocturne and top Garen, and our mid Swain feeds their Diana. Cait is out CSing me because Lulu's zoning is ridonkulus especially when their Nocturne is a gank machine and our Cho is too busy dying to gank for us. I'm 2/2 at this stage, the only one on our team with kills. Cho rage quits, Jax feeds, we surrender.

G-fucking-G.

I just don't know why I bother with this crap. Whoever said elo hell doesn't exist is categorically incorrect. Because I'm right there in it.

I'm really struggling to see the point in playing ranked until S3 proper starts. I can (hopefully) do new placement matches, because the amount of fucking morons I get is incredible.

Take the last game I just played, for instance. First, I call top. some douche locks in Jax. I say fine, I'll support. our ADC guy says "I'll rape bot as Teemo". Now, as you can imagine, alarm bells instantly start clanging in my head, so I say i'll AD because it seems like he wanted to support anyway.

He asks do I want Sona or Soraka. I say Sona, he locks in Soraka. We get into the game and he buys a Doran's ring first. I might as well be inside a bell at this stage. I say "hey dude, we'll really need some wards against a jungle Noctune", and replies with "nah dude I'm a damage support. I'll buy wards next time I recall, trust me".

We get level 2 ganked by a Nocturne (no wards biting us in the ass) and we both burn flash. Oh yeah, she took Clarity and Flash. Not heal or Exhaust like I asked (I should have dodged when I saw clarity). So Jax and our jungle Cho feed their Nocturne and top Garen, and our mid Swain feeds their Diana. Cait is out CSing me because Lulu's zoning is ridonkulus especially when their Nocturne is a gank machine and our Cho is too busy dying to gank for us. I'm 2/2 at this stage, the only one on our team with kills. Cho rage quits, Jax feeds, we surrender.

G-fucking-G.

I just don't know why I bother with this crap. Whoever said elo hell doesn't exist is categorically incorrect. Because I'm right there in it.

Clarity=Instant dodge.

Snowman

G-fucking-G.

The teams you're playing against are at the same elo and have to put up with the same shit. It averages out, if you're too good for your elo, it'll increase, might just be very gradually.

Haly

Oh, so basically they're trying to sooth hurt feelings.

As stupid as that sounds, it actually seems like a good move.

Snowman

Basically moving to a more Starcraft 2-like system. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing though, I like being able to see my real rating but I imagine it does put a lot of people off playing ranked.

Leezard

Oh, so basically they're trying to sooth hurt feelings.

As stupid as that sounds, it actually seems like a good move.

Yeah, if nothing else there might be less whine about ranked. The concept of 'Elo Hell' will probably still be there though; it is far too common to blame it among the community.

Haly

"Division Hell"

aka

"GG RIOT THANKS FOR PUTTING ME IN THIS DIVISION WHERE EVERYONE IS TERRIBLE EXCEPT ME, SILVER MY ASS, MORE LIKE TIN"

Leezard

I suppose some people will believe they get worse teammates/better enemies during their promotion series as well. It's a conspiracy!

scy

Huh, so basically the same but no visible elo and weird in-between-categories matches?

scy explain this to me

Wait, why me?

Anyway, same elo system but hidden. Only used to determine matchmaking, it seems. There must be some kind of other limit here, however, since I'm not sure the whole player limit works out. Under what's written, it's feasible for a majority of people to reach Diamond tier but play at a Bronze level.

"Division Hell"

aka

"GG RIOT THANKS FOR PUTTING ME IN THIS DIVISION WHERE EVERYONE IS TERRIBLE EXCEPT ME, SILVER MY ASS, MORE LIKE TIN"

By all accounts, I think they wanted to create smaller pools of players so you can reasonably expect to see the same group of people within your league. At least, that's what I gather from it. Hard to tell when their example is a fictional 250 person League (split into 5 divisions so, really, a pool of 50 players).

Edit: Also worth noting, it's possible this all applies to just Ranked 5s. "Ranked" Solo Queue may not exist anymore as we know it.

Haly

Quite possible, it reminds me of the situation in SC2 where being Diamond in NA meant much less than being Diamond in the EU, or something of the sort.

Naturally, there will be higher level Divisions than others, which will probably lead to a lot of assgriping.

Haly

"I don't get it. Seems pointless and confusing. What's wrong with the current system?"

The new system is ELO with cheevos and some protection against losing streaks.

Basically ELO casualized.

Einbroch

Banned
"I don't get it. Seems pointless and confusing. What's wrong with the current system?"

Neat, what I always wanted, a casual hardcore mode.

"Division Hell"

aka

No because you will be playing with all silver (in our exemple) players. Only you will see your ranked compared to 249 other players rather than all the ranked players.

Leezard

Anyway, same elo system but hidden. Only used to determine matchmaking, it seems. There must be some kind of other limit here, however, since I'm not sure the whole player limit works out. Under what's written, it's feasible for a majority of people to reach Diamond tier but play at a Bronze level.
The Rioter who announced the news confirmed that you gain LP (league points) significantly slower if your hidden elo is much lower than it "should" be in that tier/division. Conversely, you would gain LP faster if your hidden elo is relatively high for that tier/division.

Haly

"No because you will be playing with all silver (in our exemple) players. Only you will see your ranked compared to 249 other players rather than all the ranked players."

So the current system is more or less unchanged and the new system is just layered on top of the old system?

"No because you will be playing with all silver (in our exemple) players. Only you will see your ranked compared to 249 other players rather than all the ranked players."

So the current system is more or less unchanged and the new system is just layered on top of the old system?

Yes, you still have your elo, only you can't see it.
Plus you can never lose your tier (gold, silver...)

Haly

"Yes, you still have your elo, only you can't see it.
Plus you can never lose your tier (gold, silver...)"

I don't like it. I understand the reasons behind it and agree that it'll have positive effectson Ranked in general, but it feels uncomfortably deceptive.

Although it's certainly preferable over HoN's KDR whoring.

well, it's clearly made for casual players who fear the ranked system. Like they can still have a "beautiful" badge and get reasured on their level.

For average players who want to go competitive, it will be a pain in the a*s because you'll never truly know where you stand.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Another league to 100% and then never play again.

Haly

"New ranked system is just like SC2 Ladder. Guess LoL can learn a thing from other e-sports games."

Not exactly. In SC2, divisions of the same tier could actually have varying average skill levels. They were divisions in the true sense of the word, isolated environments/metas in which you compete. The new league system is still one giant pool of players, but the way it is presented to the players makes it seem like they're competing within smaller leagues divided up into "divisions".

So yeah, I guess my earlier assessment was accurate. This really is ELO "casualized".

zkylon

zkylewd
Wow Vi is pretty cool. I can't seem to hit a single Q but still, I like her bursty side.

Wait, why me?

You're the math wiz. Math wizzes are smart. Et cetera

JesseZao

"New ranked system is just like SC2 Ladder. Guess LoL can learn a thing from other e-sports games."

Not exactly. In SC2, divisions of the same names could actually have varying skill levels. They were divisions in the true sense of the word, isolated environments/metas in which you compete. The new league system is still one giant pool of players, but the way it is presented to the players makes it seem like they're competing within smaller leagues divided up into "divisions".

So yeah, I guess my earlier assessment was accurate. This really is ELO "casualized".

At least on the surface, the way it's described sounds like the SC2 system. Are you saying the matchmaking is different? You only get matched with players in your specific ladder in SC2?

Edit: VV ah. I really hope it shows the leaderboard for your division/tier. Even though I didn't play a lot of SC2, it was a cool way to see progress. If you just see your 0->100 bar, that will be lame.

Haly

I was the one who had misunderstood SC2's system. I thought your matchmaking was limited to your league but after reading Liquidpedia I can see that this is not true.

garath

I like the idea of a tier league system on its surface. Not sure if this is it though. All they are doing is hiding the elo and bringing your tier to the forefront. The only advantage is you don't obsess over the +-11 number changes and you stay in your top "tier"

Meh.

Decent idea to put more HP into the main monster in camps to make single target junglers fare better, though doesn't it also benefit them more? I'm just worried that it would result in them still sustaining better because you can turn off two other damage sources even faster.

I thought it'd be a good idea to lower Machete's Butcher to maybe 5%. Either that or buff Rend to +12-15.

edit: LOL huge nerf to Ez' base ASPD. Well deserved.

garath

Patchnotes: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/preseason-balance-update-2-patch-notes

Incinerate - Targeting cone is now attached to Annie

OMG

Wow. So many nerfs. I think they overnerfed Evelyn hard. That's going to be a hard hit. I don't even play her and I think its too much.

Diana buff yay! The range on the ult was the main thing she needed.

Nerf to talon hurts :( he is all burst anyways and they just reduced his burst by a huge amount. Even with the bug fix its too much :(

Khazix nerfs are probably perfect. He'll still be strong but hopefully the fad will pass.

The Kat nerf isn't going to do much.

The ezreal nerf is awesome. He was getting annoying.

The rengar buff might be my favorite thing in the patch. It's just enough to make him a stronger jungler and the heal thing is a buff for damage rengar. He didn't hit 4000 HP very often to begin with let alone building damage.

Such a huge patch. Dammit. I am still sad about the talon nerfs. I don't even see how they were needed. He has no reset.

Blizzard

Banned
Quite possible, it reminds me of the situation in SC2 where being Diamond in NA meant much less than being Diamond in the EU, or something of the sort.

Naturally, there will be higher level Divisions than others, which will probably lead to a lot of assgriping.
I like the term "assgriping".

Also according to these notes: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3005056

No ult change on Amumu? Does this mean they decided against the Amumu ult change, so that his ult will continue to stop autoattacks? Or was that a previous patch? Or is it maybe still going to take effect in the future?

Ken

Térry: MID
kunojojo: top
Térry: please
SummonsInTrouble: top or mid please
Joystick: OH SHIT
Joystick: green ribbon
Térry: ?
SummonsInTrouble: or adc or rumble jungle
Joystick: I demand to do whatever
Térry: i es 1700 smurf
Joystick: Doesn't matter to me
Joystick: Top is my best
Térry: 18-3 with talon
Joystick: adc probably second best
Joystick: mid
Joystick: jungle
Joystick: sup being last
Joystick: anyone wanna run a vayne/nunu bot combo?
Térry: you mean
Térry: caitlyn nunu
Joystick: bloodboil op
Joystick: doesn't matter really
Joystick: lol
*Ryze second pick*
Térry: ok
Térry: im still going mid
Térry: btw

Joystick: oh
Joystick: how about that
Joystick: That wasn't intentional
Joystick: =|
Joystick: Used to just following pick order
Térry: no way im gonna let some 1200 take away my chance at carrying this
Joystick: Hahaha
Joystick: That's rude
Joystick: but I understand
Térry: i dont even

Blizzard

Banned
Térry: i es 1700 smurf
Joystick: Doesn't matter to me
Joystick: Top is my best
Térry: 18-3 with talon

For what it's worth, I checked his record and he actually WAS apparently 18-3 with talon. But he might have been a jerk. I ended up winning the next ranked match after Corgi dodged (carried by AD Eve and Kha'zix) so I guess it worked out anyway. AD jungle Eve got a quadrakill + unofficial penta and apparently had a penta earlier in the day, weird.

Love bads who are greedy. I got forced to play Rammus in lane because our Yi is gone. Ashe and Fizz laned against me. I braced for the one of the worst laning experiences in memory.

...they kept diving me, even though I have Barrier and possess a 3 second taunt. Somehow ended up 3 levels above both of them lmao. I troll built against Ashe by rushing Tabi, Philo, Thorn and Sunfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom