• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercviper

Personally I always hated the old way. Same with Cho'Gath. It's just more natural...

Old way was so easy and accurate... Surprised they didn't change MF ult to chain to her as well.

Okay, maybe I won't give up on Annie after all...

congratulations merc, annie every game
please don't feed

I probably will with that incinerate change. Completely changes how I have to play her

I would have bought a skin for Annie if she was worth playing.

WHAT?? :<

zkylon

zkylewd
VuiSS.jpg

Well I'm glad I returned her then

So what does the whole "attach cone to character" mean?

Instead of the cone ranged indicator for some abilities like Annie's AOE flame shooty thingy and Morde's AOE ground mace erupty thingy freely moveable, it's now attached to your character like other range indicators, if you get me.

It's like a dogs E-collar so they just have a giant cone around their head. But if you don't use smart-cast the cone spells aren't attached to anything so you can select where you want it to go easier(I think). Now they will be directly attached to them so you have to position your character to face them.

Agkel

ughhh, that Annie update looks awful as fuck, they need to redo the original skin and prom night too. I want to see what they did to my Annie in Wonderland. The only plus on that update is that shitty goth Annie is now pretty cool goth Annie.

I still don't like that she looks more like a teenager now, I think the idea of a small child that can burn your ass in seconds seems more interesting than angsty teen #52890

Just saying

With or without smartcasting, the cone abilities can be placed anywhere, and then the champion walks to that spot to cast it. If they're attached, the ability is cast wherever you point. And with smartcast off, the indicator can't be moved all over the place.

Cathcart

OK, so I'll use Riven's ult as an example. Riven's ult let's you fire that long range cone attack, right? Well if you don't smartcast and you press R you get a cone shape and you can place it on the ground wherever you want. If you place the cone half way across the screen Riven will walk up to the origin point of the cone and fire off her ult.

With this patch, the cone will be attached to Riven instead of free floating wherever you point the mouse. If you press R and then move your mouse around the cone will just rotate around your character. You point it in the direction you want and press R again and she fires off the ult without moving.

With smartcasting it used to be kind of weird. You'd point your mouse at the guy you want to hit and press R, but if your cursor wasn't near Riven she'd walk over to where your mouse was and then fire her ult. All the while you'd be yelling "JUST SHOOT HIM FFS DON'T RUN OVER THERE!" Now she will just fire it in the direction your mouse is pointed right away instead of walking first.

I think it's mostly good, but I get why it bothers some people. They like being able to line the cone up exactly and have their character adjust before firing.

Edit: yeah or what they said

mercviper

With or without smartcasting, the cone abilities can be placed anywhere, and then the champion walks to that spot to cast it. If they're attached, the ability is cast wherever you point. And with smartcast off, the indicator can't be moved all over the place.

I'm just hoping smartcasting will stay the same :/

riven ult explanation

Yeah that's exactly how I want it. If I want my cone casted in that area, I want to click that area and have the cone land there. It's the same with any other circular aoe skillshot like ziggs bombs, annie ult, or cho rupture. The only difference is that you have a cast range of ZERO and people just can't get used to that and want it to act like lux/morgana bindings. -_-

If I had to guess, it'll become like Ashe's Volley. Cone AoEs merely choose a direction to fire in, not the position to fire from.

Yeah I don't want that -_-

scy

Either way, there's going to be some adapting to be done. I foresee many missed Riven ults.

Again.

If I had to guess, it'll become like Ashe's Volley. Cone AoEs merely choose a direction to fire in, not the position to fire from.

Cathcart

Oh yeah, good point. I like the way Volley works, hate the way Riven ult works. I've actually missed a bunch of Riven ults because I expect it to work like Volley.

mercviper

Well we don't always get what we want!

But I already had it! :p

Finished my placement matches at 1500 instead of 1600. Thanks Rex. <3

Eve was banned in all our duo q matches and the game where all roles were being settled got dodged because the enemy team always eavesdrops and knows.

Game 1 was Rex getting eaten alive by shaco @ red, and then shaco proceeding to camp top forever and ever. I think we probably could've gone for shaco red instead of normal route because we predicted the red harass from shaco when we saw him starting blue.

Game 2 was derpy ezreal telling me to play passive because we're losing lane and then suiciding 1v3 against vayne/taric/jungler at their tower

Finally won one when Rex ended up adc and snowballed from the point where sona derped and gave rex a free double kill 1v2.

Final rating of the night: 1518

But I already had it! :p

Finished my placement matches at 1500 instead of 1600. Thanks Rex. <3

Eve was banned in all our duo q matches and the game where all roles were being settled got dodged because the enemy team always eavesdrops and knows.

Game 1 was Rex getting eaten alive by shaco @ red, and then shaco proceeding to camp top forever and ever. I think we probably could've gone for shaco red instead of normal route because we predicted the red harass from shaco when we saw him starting blue.

Game 2 was derpy ezreal telling me to play passive because we're losing lane and then suiciding 1v3 against vayne/taric/jungler at their tower

Finally won one when Rex ended up adc and snowballed from the point where sona derped and gave rex a free double kill 1v2.

Final rating of the night: 1518

What was your win/loss coming out of placements to get that rating, out of curiosity?

scy

Oh yeah, good point. I like the way Volley works, hate the way Riven ult works. I've actually missed a bunch of Riven ults because I expect it to work like Volley.

Pretty much. If I need to reposition before a cone, I'll manually cast it (Miss Fortune ult, for instance). Otherwise, I just smart cast the area in front of me. I do that for Volley and everything, actually, since I used to miss a lot of Riven ults due to targeting right outside the cone and she'd shift a way I didn't want and miss the angle. I've just gotten into the habit of treating them the same unless I manually bring up the targeting to "fix" this.

Who am I kidding, I'll just auto-cancel the MF ult anyway

Yeah that's exactly how I want it. If I want my cone casted in that area, I want to click that area and have the cone land there. It's the same with any other circular aoe skillshot like ziggs bombs, annie ult, or cho rupture. The only difference is that you have a cast range of ZERO and people just can't get used to that and want it to act like lux/morgana bindings. -_-

I like the locked-to-character cone AoE. If I click too far, I don't want to be left to pathing to see if I get the right angle back. Granted, I suppose the argument could be made "lrn2play nub" and just click within my AoE but being slightly off to the left or right can lose ~5-10 degrees of coverage in the direction you were firing.

Essentially, I prefer choosing the direction at time of cast so my manual positioning and direction determines area I hit rather than choosing the area I hit itself at the time of cast. Just the way I think of it ("Move to spot, target this direction" as opposed to "Target this spot, move to that area.")

I'm kind of surprised it isn't just an option somewhere instead. Or just "dealwithit.gif" since it's a lot of older champions that people have gotten used to. Then again, I guess they want some internal consistency.

mercviper

Pretty much. If I need to reposition before a cone, I'll manually cast it (Miss Fortune ult, for instance). Otherwise, I just smart cast the area in front of me. I do that for Volley and everything, actually, since I used to miss a lot of Riven ults due to targeting right outside the cone and she'd shift a way I didn't want and miss the angle. I've just gotten into the habit of treating them the same unless I manually bring up the targeting to "fix" this.

I like the locked-to-character cone AoE. If I click too far, I don't want to be left to pathing to see if I get the right angle back. Granted, I suppose the argument could be made "lrn2play nub" and just click within my AoE but being slightly off to the left or right can lose ~5-10 degrees of coverage in the direction you were firing.

Essentially, I prefer choosing the direction at time of cast so my manual positioning and direction determines area I hit rather than choosing the area I hit itself at the time of cast. Just the way I think of it ("Move to spot, target this direction" as opposed to "Target this spot, move to that area.")

I'm kind of surprised it isn't just an option somewhere instead. Or just "dealwithit.gif" since it's a lot of older champions that people have gotten used to. Then again, I guess they want some internal consistency.

Really I'm just mad I'm gonna have to re-learn how to incinerate on Annie. I foresee many missed incinerates the same way I miss hitting Syndra balls to cause a stun. Hers is locked to her character and many times I miss Q+E combo to instant stun because I'm JUST out of range to hit the ball because I treat it like Annie's incinerate where she repositions just slightly to make sure I hit.

The big thing I like about how Annie's incinerate works now is that if I cast where it should hit the enemy, and it isn't instantly cast, then I know I was out of range anyway and I immediately back off w/o wasting the spell.

scy

Really I'm just mad I'm gonna have to re-learn how to incinerate on Annie. I foresee many missed incinerates the same way I miss hitting Syndra balls to cause a stun. Hers is locked to her character and many times I miss Q+E combo to instant stun because I'm JUST out of range to hit the ball because I treat it like Annie's incinerate where she repositions just slightly to make sure I hit.

The big thing I like about how Annie's incinerate works now is that if I cast where it should hit the enemy, and it isn't instantly cast, then I know I was out of range anyway and I immediately back off w/o wasting the spell.

This is actually one of the reasons why I like the change immensely: It means you have to know your max ranges. With the detached cones, you don't really need to know them at all, you just need to know enough of the shape of the AoE to catch them off a movement prediction.

Thanks for beating that explanation into the ground guys.

What it boils down to is that an attached cone means you'll never move after hitting the button; targeting out of range means tough shit and you just aim that way. Know your AoE ranges!

Gotta beat it to death some more.

garath

I've missed more than a couple Riven ults because I had no idea how the targeting worked with smartcast. It makes perfect sense now that it's not "attached" to the character. The pathing can throw it off.

I like the cone of targetting MUCH better. I know how far the projectile travels, when I'm smartcasting I want it to cast now, not move then cast. Preference I suppose.

Talon nerf was uncalled for, his bleed did shit for damage, unlike Darius. WTF is up with no Darius nerf? He takes out whole teams, but no lets nerf an assassin.

I hear you. I can understand the bleed nerf now that the 15% damage modifier works but I don't understand the rest of the nerfs. Even after watching the patch preview I'm still not seeing it. He's a burst assassin with no reset. What else does he offer but high damage in a short period of time? :(

scy

I've missed more than a couple Riven ults because I had no idea how the targeting worked with smartcast. It makes perfect sense now that it's not "attached" to the character. The pathing can throw it off.

I like the cone of targetting MUCH better. I know how far the projectile travels, when I'm smartcasting I want it to cast now, not move then cast. Preference I suppose.

It also keeps it "consistent" with how you'd target line skillshots. You'd target past where the target is so you're aiming at where they'll be after travel delay. You need to know that it's within your max range and you're merely supplying the trajectory for it.

I hear you. I can understand the bleed nerf now that the 15% damage modifier works but I don't understand the rest of the nerfs. Even after watching the patch preview I'm still not seeing it. He's a burst assassin with no reset. What else does he offer but high damage in a short period of time? :(

He has a targeted Teleport gap closer that stops all escapes (Silence) and has his own invis escape as two separate skills; if he fails his assassinate attempt, he can still get out (generally).

Edit: Worth noting that the ult change costs Talon about 30 damage @200 Bonus AD. Off the ult alone, that is. He gains damage on his Q on-hit and his W. Overall, Talon gained a bit of damage in a full use of his kit.

WHAT?? :<

Annie's kit is just bad. She is decent in lane but all she can do is wait for that one perfect opportunity to hit a game-changing ult that may never come. It doesn't even do that much damage comparitively to other APs.

The cooldown is too long to roam properly as well.

Everything she does, outside of an AOE stun, other champs can do better.

scy

Annie's kit is just bad. She is decent in lane but all she can do is wait for that one perfect opportunity to hit a game-changing ult that may never come. It doesn't even do that much damage comparitively to other APs.

Annie is a great lane bully though. Her spell range is really what leaves a bit to be desired.

zkylon

zkylewd
ughhh, that Annie update looks awful as fuck, they need to redo the original skin and prom night too. I want to see what they did to my Annie in Wonderland. The only plus on that update is that shitty goth Annie is now pretty cool goth Annie.

I still don't like that she looks more like a teenager now, I think the idea of a small child that can burn your ass in seconds seems more interesting than angsty teen #52890

Just saying
Yeah I agree about that.

I don't like new Tibbers either.

New graphics and particles look really cool tho

I wish they made it toggleable and everyone's happy.

mercviper

The problem with Annie is everybody's mindset to play her is too focused on maximizing the potential of one set of cooldowns to affect a fight and then proceed to die.

She's got short cooldowns for multiple spellcasts in a fight and I believe she should be considered more of a somewhat sustained dps caster with strong burst potential like Orianna. Unlike Orianna though, her kit lacks the mobility to run around and kite in a fight, sacrificing it for tankiness in a shield and a stun, which is why I prioritize ghost over ignite when choosing summoner spells. Also unlike Orianna, you miss your ult with Ori and you've somewhat screwed the pooch for the teamfight. With Annie if you can stay alive 6 more seconds you have another AOE stun to make up for your mistake.

garath

He has a targeted Teleport gap closer that stops all escapes (Silence) and has his own invis escape as two separate skills; if he fails his assassinate attempt, he can still get out (generally).

Edit: Worth noting that the ult change costs Talon about 30 damage @200 Bonus AD. Off the ult alone, that is. He gains damage on his Q on-hit and his W. Overall, Talon gained a bit of damage in a full use of his kit.

No question his kit is pretty good, but so is all the other assassins with resets. Once he blows his load, he's done for awhile.

If he fails his assassination attempt, he's dead if you use the second part of his ult (which you generally will if you are going for max damage).

The nerf to his ult is a little more severe than 30 damage. The damage reduction is 40 base (at max rank) plus 30 for the reduced ratio - per dagger, per pass through. Cast it twice, land 2 daggers and you're losing 280 burst damage :(

I'm afraid he'll fall back to his niche role. Only pick if there's multiple squishies. Even pre-nerf he can't take down a half health bruiser unless he's way ahead. Heck, he can't always burn down a squishy if he misses rake.

It's possible the cutthroat fix will offset a lot of the damage reduction so we'll see.

I'm just sad because I like him, I felt he was in a good place for S3, not even close to as OP as Kha'zix is. And I just bought my favorite skin for him. Lol

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
A lot of pros think Annie is underrated right now. I like her kit. She has a deceptive amount of survivability with her shield and her damage output can be really high. I wish more people would play her because Sejuani + Annie would be pretty awesome.

scy

No question his kit is pretty good, but so is all the other assassins with resets. Once he blows his load, he's done for awhile.

If he fails his assassination attempt, he's dead if you use the second part of his ult (which you generally will if you are going for max damage).

You land the second part of his ult while escaping.

The nerf to his ult is a little more severe than 30 damage. The damage reduction is 40 base (at max rank) plus 30 for the reduced ratio - per dagger, per pass through. Cast it twice, land 2 daggers and you're losing 280 burst damage :(

260/0.9 bonus AD -> 220/0.75 bonus AD w/15% Bonus Damage.

@200 Bonus AD:
[260 + (.9 * 200)] * 2 = 880

vs

[220 + (.75 * 200)] * 2 * 1.15 = 851

(@100 Bonus AD, it's 700 vs ~679 so the gap grows as Bonus AD grows).

It's possible the cutthroat fix will offset a lot of the damage reduction so we'll see.

His total changes are:

Q Bleed went from 90/1.2bAD -> 50/1.0 bAD and the above ult change (260/0.9bAD -> 220/0.75bAD). His Q on-hit is untouched (150/0.3 bAD, still resets auto) and the same for his W (130/0.6 bAD per Dagger). His passive is still a +10% Multiplier for his auto attacks.

All in all, he lost ~.35 Bonus AD from his Q and R change but +15% from Cutthroat gives him almost .5 Bonus AD back to his combo. He lost 120 base Damage but gained about 128 (and it's 120 damage given back to his burst, 8 back to the bleed so he bursts harder now than before). And that's not factoring Cutthroat to his auto attacks which is at least +15 Damage per Cutthroat Auto (105 base AD at Level 18).

Basically: +.1375 Bonus AD Ratio, +127.5 Base Damage, +.15 Total AD per Autoattack vs a Cutthroat target; make it +.165 Total AD if his passive is kicking in for the autoattacks.

Edit: It does restrict Talon's damage a bit to the target he's Cutthroating, though. But his W is still the same as before so it's really just a loss of damage from his ult against random targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom