• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say you're doing pretty well. Once you hit about lvl 20 you'll run into lane setups that have a jungler and if you aren't doing it already, you'll want to have a constant ward in the river so you don't get caught with your pants down 2v3 when someone isn't visible on the map.

If you want to continue playing support, Sona and Taric are other good choices with a sustain model, but the rest of their kits allow you to be a little more offensive than Soraka.

Thanks. I really like Soroka. I enjoy a support role that helps others get the kill to be honest and just get the cheaky one here and there.

I have seem something about warding but not really worked it out. Is it just an item that reveals a part of the map for a certain amount of time? and is it to stop you getting snuck up on by a jungler and getting ganked?

Also is there anything worth using to help with escape (Her main weakness). I use the skill that gives mana and currently teleport to get back to my lane faster but Im thinking I may switch to the shield on and then flash once I unlock it. Certain champions can chase me down and pound on me pretty well and I cant heal through it.

Samyy

Thanks. I really like Soroka. I enjoy a support role that helps others get the kill to be honest and just get the cheaky one here and there.

I have seem something about warding but not really worked it out. Is it just an item that reveals a part of the map for a certain amount of time? and is it to stop you getting snuck up on by a jungler and getting ganked?

Also is there anything worth using to help with escape (Her main weakness). I use the skill that gives mana and currently teleport to get back to my lane faster but Im thinking I may switch to the shield on and then flash once I unlock it. Certain champions can chase me down and pound on me pretty well and I cant heal through it.

Wards are items under the consumable tab. You can buy wards for 75 gold or get a sightstone (which every support does) which gives you 2 wards that you can place 5 times (but only ever 2 at a time) and 3 when you upgrade it. Wards last for 3 minutes. It is generally a large part of a supports job to ward, but your team should be helping too.

As for summoners, 90% of supports run flash/exhaust. In a fight you always try to exhaust the enemy adc or other fed member in order to mitigate damage done by them in the fight.

Besides flash not much that helps with escaping, besides getting a philostone (which again most supports do) and building shurelyias which gives a speed boost when used.

Wards are items under the consumable tab. You can buy wards for 75 gold or get a sightstone (which every support does) which gives you 2 wards that you can place 5 times (but only ever 2 at a time) and 3 when you upgrade it. Wards last for 3 minutes. It is generally a large part of a supports job to ward, but your team should be helping too.

As for summoners, 90% of supports run flash/exhaust. In a fight you always try to exhaust the enemy adc or other fed member in order to mitigate damage done by them in the fight.

Besides flash not much that helps with escaping, besides getting a philostone (which again most supports do) and building shurelyias which gives a speed boost when used.

Thanks for the tips.

So get exhaust for now and then flash when it unlocks.

Get sight stone and keep wards up at the river entrance?

Would they be the main 2 things to add to my play for the moment?

I unlocked a yeti champion as well (has a little dude riding on him, I guess he is the actual champion lol). Only used him once. Is he any good and worth playing around with more?

mercviper

Yeah, as explained, wards only reveal a small portion of the map for a limited amount of time (3 minutes). And you guessed it, it's to help prevent getting ganked and snuck up upon by the jungler.

Regarding escapes, I would get ghost and cleanse or ghost and heal until you can replace with flash/exhaust or flash/heal. Getting chased down usually means you were outnumbered and out of position, which map awareness and warding will help with. Shurelia's Reverie is a decent support item that will help your team engage/disengage as well. And builds out of philosopher's stone, which is a core support item.

Thanks for the tips.

So get exhaust for now and then flash when it unlocks.

Get sight stone and keep wards up at the river entrance?

Would they be the main 2 things to add to my play for the moment?

I unlocked a yeti champion as well (has a little dude riding on him, I guess he is the actual champion lol). Only used him once. Is he any good and worth playing around with more?

Yeah, river entrance, or the tri-bush + dragon area.

Nunu is a great champion, he has a very strong early/mid game but his late game pretty much is bloodboiling your ad carry and then attempting to zone with your ult, so I don't really like playing him too much.

For Kiunch:
29 seconds. Not quite 36 (damn you Scy)

bjaelke

What the new ladder system looks like:

pJyHM2B.jpg

Yeah, as explained, wards only reveal a small portion of the map for a limited amount of time (3 minutes). And you guessed it, it's to help prevent getting ganked and snuck up upon by the jungler.

Regarding escapes, I would get ghost and cleanse or ghost and heal until you can replace with flash/exhaust or flash/heal. Getting chased down usually means you were outnumbered and out of position, which map awareness and warding will help with. Shurelia's Reverie is a decent support item that will help your team engage/disengage as well. And builds out of philosopher's stone, which is a core support item.

Yeah, river entrance, or the tri-bush + dragon area.

Nunu is a great champion, he has a very strong early/mid game but his late game pretty much is bloodboiling your ad carry and then attempting to zone with your ult, so I don't really like playing him too much.

For Kiunch:

Ok thanks. Items I have some pinned down. Philisophers stone is actually one of them. Didnt know about the other item. Havnt had to much time to study them closely. Still getting to grips with the game but its a lot of fun. However im still playing in the little leagues at the mo with randoms..... some of which are terrible.

So one other thing.

I know there is the lane phase and all that but can someone give me a better break down of what it all means.

So far everyone starts in there lanes (or as some of the low lvl random games go, half your team do what ever they damn well please).

Then do you stay there till one lane is close to the enemy base and then all pile on there or what? It tends to get quite messy in the random games I have been playing.

zkylon

zkylewd
So one other thing.

I know there is the lane phase and all that but can someone give me a better break down of what it all means.

So far everyone starts in there lanes (or as some of the low lvl random games go, half your team do what ever they damn well please).

Then do you stay there till one lane is close to the enemy base and then all pile on there or what? It tends to get quite messy in the random games I have been playing.
Usually lane phase ends when towers start to fall and people start to roam and move as a group.

Once you and your ADC took down your lane's first enemy tower, instead of staying in your lane, you should push and go help mid/top or fight for objectives (dragon).

mercviper

Ok thanks. Items I have some pinned down. Philisophers stone is actually one of them. Didnt know about the other item. Havnt had to much time to study them closely. Still getting to grips with the game but its a lot of fun. However im still playing in the little leagues at the mo with randoms..... some of which are terrible.

I'm sure 90% of them are terrible :p

A list of great support items and their upgrades:

Sightstone->Ruby Sightstone
Philo Stone->Shurelia's Reverie
Emblem of Valor->Aegis of the Legion->Runic Bulwark (if you need more MR)
Kindlegem->Locket of the Iron Solari
Kage's Lucky Pick->Twin Shadows/Shard of True Ice
Chalice of Harmony->Mikhails Crucible (heals and breaks most CC on targeted allied champions)

for even more MR, Abyssal Scepter
for even more Armor, Frozen Heart

That should be a pretty generic list that you can follow for now without researching every item in the game. Since you're new I'd focus on just enjoying the game and working on mechanics while following that list. Eventually you'll want to have a good working knowledge of every item available so you can build accordingly to how the game flows, but that's for later.

edit: another thing about item building, you generally want to complete an item in it's final stage before moving on to the next one. As support it's not as necessary, but if you have the parts for 3 different items, I'd complete one of them before getting the parts for a fourth.

Usually lane phase ends when towers start to fall and people start to roam and move as a group.

Once you and your ADC took down your lane's first enemy tower, instead of staying in your lane, you should push and go help mid/top or first for objectives (dragon).

I'm sure 90% of them are terrible :p

A list of great support items and their upgrades:

Sightstone->Ruby Sightstone
Philo Stone->Shurelia's Reverie
Emblem of Valor->Aegis of the Legion->Runic Bulwark (if you need more MR)
Kindlegem->Locket of the Iron Solari
Kage's Lucky Pick->Twin Shadows/Shard of True Ice
Chalice of Harmony->Mikhails Crucible (heals and breaks most CC on targeted allied champions)

for even more MR, Abyssal Scepter
for even more Armor, Frozen Heart

That should be a pretty generic list that you can follow for now without researching every item in the game. Since you're new I'd focus on just enjoying the game and working on mechanics while following that list. Eventually you'll want to have a good working knowledge of every item available so you can build accordingly to how the game flows, but that's for later.

edit: another thing about item building, you generally want to complete an item in it's final stage before moving on to the next one. As support it's not as necessary, but if you have the parts for 3 different items, I'd complete one of them before getting the parts for a fourth.

thanks to both of you thats great. Really appreciate the help. Love me a free game that I can play on my I5 laptop (no graphics card) instead of my gaming pc thats hooked up to the TV. Hopefully I will stick with it.

I got 400 free Riot points a few levels back. Do you get any more is is the only way buying them now?

scy

For Kiunch:

huehuehuehuehue

Edit: Seriously though, I think I wasted like an hour playing that last night. There was a point me, Kiunch, and Rex were in a 3v3 lobby for like 30m just playing that instead of actually queuing up.

So one other thing.

It's not exactly a set in stone "at X" sort of thing. Essentially, laning phase lasts until people start grouping up. Grouping up should happen once some towers start to fall and map objectives start becoming a priority (Dragon, Baron).

So basically, laning phase begins to end when the first tower falls (top or bot generally) and then middle is where you group up and try to push while minions do the work in other lanes. Then you try to control the map objectives and group up in whichever lane is furthest from the enemy champions (e.g., two enemy can be seen at bot lane, you push top lane; alternatively, you go to Baron) so you can take more and more control of the map.

zkylon

zkylewd
thanks to both of you thats great. Really appreciate the help. Love me a free game that I can play on my I5 laptop (no graphics card) instead of my gaming pc thats hooked up to the TV. Hopefully I will stick with it.

I got 400 free Riot points a few levels back. Do you get any more is is the only way buying them now?
That's all you get. Sometimes a 520 RP skin goes on sale so you can snag one of those for 260, but otherwise, you'll have to put up the greens.

Also, I would advice against playing Soraka since she's really pretty fucking boring right now. You can get Taric for 1350 IP or Sona for 3150 (she's on freeweek so be sure to try her out) and I guarantee you'll feel more impactful and thus have more fun.

huehuehuehuehue

Edit: Seriously though, I think I wasted like an hour playing that last night. There was a point me, Kiunch, and Rex were in a 3v3 lobby for like 30m just playing that instead of actually queuing up.

It's not exactly a set in stone "at X" sort of thing. Essentially, laning phase lasts until people start grouping up. Grouping up should happen once some towers start to fall and map objectives start becoming a priority (Dragon, Baron).

So basically, laning phase begins to end when the first tower falls (top or bot generally) and then middle is where you group up and try to push while minions do the work in other lanes. Then you try to control the map objectives and group up in whichever lane is furthest from the enemy champions (e.g., two enemy can be seen at bot lane, you push top lane; alternatively, you go to Baron) so you can take more and more control of the map.

That's all you get. Sometimes a 520 RP skin goes on sale so you can snag one of those for 260, but otherwise, you'll have to put up the greens.

Also, I would advice against playing Soraka since she's really pretty fucking boring right now. You can get Taric for 1350 IP or Sona for 3150 (she's on freeweek so be sure to try her out) and I guarantee you'll feel more impactful and thus have more fun.

Im actually having a lot of fun with soroka but il try out sona and possibly buy taric as im one game away from having enough IP

Thanks for the other tips aswell scy

Also I prob will pay some money down the line. im happy do as the game deserves it. Just wondering if I get any more free RP is all but the 400 is pretty nice start anyway.

mercviper

All of that Soraka hate. I actually find her fun as a support, even if you find her boring.

huehuehuehuehue

zkylon

zkylewd
All of that Soraka hate. I actually find her fun as a support, even if you find her boring.
I don't hate her, specially after she got her much needed cosmetic surgery, but her being on the team is basically just replacing the awesome CC champs like Leona, Sona, Lulu, Blitz, etc.

She's a pretty good pick if you're running a split push or poke comps and you want to keep pressure forever. But yeah, boringestest laning phase evar

Hmm

Position for it then. You should almost never have Ebb and Flow JUST heal. It should at least heal and damage. Taric's heal does scale better (+40 per Rank vs +30 per Rank) with far better scaling (+0.6 AP vs +0.3 AP) but it also has over twice the base cooldown (20s vs 9s) and Imbue isn't maxed first compared to Ebb and Flow.

Nami requires more to play than Taric (skillshot stun, positioning heal/damage) but she offers a lot more pressure and zoning potential than Taric does. She's really good with Caitlyn (stun + trap, her damage buff) and ADCs with a good amount of burst (Draven, Varus).

Edit: I don't think she's one of the best supports (Lulu, Sona, Nunu take that crown for the most part) but she's still one of the better options alongside Taric, Zyra, etc.
Agreed, she requires a lot more careful positioning than most supports I feel to really take advantage of her kit. Another big factor to take into account is her ebb and flow's potential can only be reached if your lane partner is constantly communicating and positioning himself while farming so you can get free hits on the enemy with ebb and flow by bouncing it off your ally. If done correctly you won't even draw minion aggro to yourself.

Agkel

Question, is fiddles terrify broken with damage? I kind of noticed this when hitting a golem on my last match, but didnt really test it out so it could have been my mind playing tricks.

OmegaTreeFish
If you are really enjoying the game, and you see yourself playing it in the long run, I think now is the time to throw some cash at the screen(There's bonus rp for purchases until the 31st).

The champion bundles are good value, otherwise wait for champion sales and skin sales to save some rp. I had spent $85 in the last 5 weeks(since I started playing) and just knew I would keep spending more so threw $100 in Riot's face this morning for 4k bonus rp. That should last me till... March? lol *queue penny arcade comic*

mercviper

Question, is fiddles terrify broken with damage? I kind of noticed this when hitting a golem on my last match, but didnt really test it out so it could have been my mind playing tricks.

I believe it used to, but shouldn't anymore.

OmegaTreeFish
If you are really enjoying the game, and you see yourself playing it in the long run, I think now is the time to throw some cash at the screen(There's bonus rp for purchases until the 31st).

The champion bundles are good value, otherwise wait for champion sales and skin sales to save some rp. I had spent $85 in the last 5 weeks(since I started playing) and just knew I would keep spending more so threw $100 in Riot's face this morning for 4k bonus rp. That should last me till... March? lol *queue penny arcade comic*

Those troll bonus RPs, each time it's occurred after I bought a bunch of RP. -_-

Like this time, I put in $100 for the xmas stuff because I knew I'd spend it during the year. Sitting on 8k right now so no way I'm buying more at the moment. :x

garath

So if I get bandito fiddle skin now, I'll have 30 days for a refund on the skin?

If so, I'll think I'll do this and hope the skin goes on sale in that time otherwise I might just keep it if I dont click with another champion the way I have with fiddle.

You only get 3 refunds lifetime so use it wisely. I already used one of mine for a similar reason. Bought rengar knowing he would go on sale in a few weeks and refunded then rebought him.

Agkel

Those troll bonus RPs, each time it's occurred after I bought a bunch of RP. -_-

Like this time, I put in $100 for the xmas stuff because I knew I'd spend it during the year. Sitting on 8k right now so no way I'm buying more at the moment. :x

Tell me about it, I bought $40 on the 19th :/ Still, I knew I was going to spend the rp, especially with the new annie skin coming, so I decided to stock up now that I get good value for my $$$

I can justify it, since I normally dont buy many games and I stopped playing WoW. Good investment for entertainment...

Good investment for entertainment Good investment for entertainment Good investment for entertainment Good investment for entertainment Good investment for entertainment Good investment for entertainment Good investment for entertainment Good investment for entertainment Good investment for entertainment Good investment for entertainment Good investment for entertainment

Keep repeating it over and over to avoid feeling guilty lol

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
No. Terrify lasts through damage.

scy

Soraka in this high Health / low mitigation meta, though, does feel wasted; flat healing with high health isn't as efficient as flat healing with high DR%. A shame since bananas.

Agreed, she requires a lot more careful positioning than most supports I feel to really take advantage of her kit. Another big factor to take into account is her ebb and flow's potential can only be reached if your lane partner is constantly communicating and positioning himself while farming so you can get free hits on the enemy with ebb and flow by bouncing it off your ally. If done correctly you won't even draw minion aggro to yourself.

If anything, the weak spot of her kit right now feels like her ult. It feels so hit-or-miss right now. Then again, when it works, it works really well so it's hard to justify doing anything to tweak it.

On that note, we'll see how viable Thresh will be with the whole communication/coordination aspect for his kit. I have a feeling it won't do so well at low elo solo queue. Then again, displacement usually lends itself to the opponent playing it wrong so that alone may make him ridiculously good.

Fuck Fiddle.

Doesn't help your question at all but, seriously, I fucking hate Fiddlesticks.

It should persist through damage. Unfortunately.

Seriously. Those devious bastards.

zkylon

zkylewd
I might do a $20 but there's no drowning the guilt for me.

In honesty the only skin I want is anyone for Cait and that's about it.

I think.

Ugh...

Soraka in this high Health / low mitigation meta, though, does feel wasted; flat healing with high health isn't as efficient as flat healing with high DR%. A shame since bananas.
Just build Spirit Visage on everyone and you'll be fine

Agkel

In honesty the only skin I want is anyone for Cait and that's about it.

I think.

Ugh...

You know you want the new Annie, you know it!!!

Dooooo eeeeeettttt

Fuck Fiddle.

Doesn't help your question at all but, seriously, I fucking hate Fiddlesticks.

It should persist through damage. Unfortunately.

Haha, the rage I get in chat is crazy. Outside of Annie, fiddles is the only one so far that ive really clicked with. Even though I lost my last 2 matches before that I was 10 wins out of 12. (Granted it is normals and low levels but still miles better compared to my garen and alistar matches)

scy

For what it's worth, $35 is the last big jump in free RP relative to the amount spent.

...just saying!

Edit: Well, not counting the $100 one anyway. But I figured that was off the table anyhow :x

Just build Spirit Visage on everyone and you'll be fine

While that makes her heal more, it doesn't really do anything about the value of health in a High HP vs High DR% comparison :x

zkylon

zkylewd
You know you want the new Annie, you know it!!!

Dooooo eeeeeettttt
MUST. RESIST. URGES. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

For what it's worth, $35 is the last big jump in free RP relative to the amount spent.

...just saying!

Edit: Well, not counting the $100 one anyway. But I figured that was off the table anyhow :x
Yeah, $35 would be nice.

MUST. RESIST. URGES. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

While that makes her heal more, it doesn't really do anything about the value of health in a High HP vs High DR% comparison :x
New strat: just play Arcade Boobie Lady

SV doesn't work on anyone other than Soraka herself.
It will not increase healing from other units, nor will it increase healing on other units (eg. using Astral Blessing on an ally).
Huh, waddya know...

Just play Sona you guys

Cathcart

I'd rather lose games as Lulu than win as Snoaraka, she's just so damn boring. But hey, good for you if you found a champ that really works for you so early on. Sona used to be my go-to support champ until I played Lulu, completely changed the way I think about support.

That's the great thing about this game, though. You sort of think you have something figured out and then you try a certain champ and it's like "Ohh shit, that's how this is supposed to work." Good times, good times.

scy

Yeah I wasn't sure if that change was only a wording thing or if it actually affected how the spell worked, such that other heals on you became unaffected.

Nah, I'm pretty sure Rizzle is right in that non-self sources of healing do nothing with Spirit Visage. Didn't think about what the passive actually does, just the idea behind the suggestion.

...but my original point still stands. The value per point of Health healed goes up as DR% goes up, not when Health itself goes up :x

New strat: just play Arcade Boobie Lady

Completely unrelated but someone needs to say "Hands off the Panda" in regards to Panda Tibbers.

zkylon

zkylewd
I really should buy Lulu.

But I'll prolly buy Vi. Or some other top laner. I liked that I managed to beat a Teemo for like the first time ever with Vi. It's the main reason I don't do top.

Achtius

Nah, I'm pretty sure Rizzle is right in that non-self sources of healing do nothing with Spirit Visage. Didn't think about what the passive actually does, just the idea behind the suggestion.

...but my original point still stands. The value per point of Health healed goes up as DR% goes up, not when Health itself goes up :x

Completely unrelated but someone needs to say "Hands off the Panda" in regards to Panda Tibbers.

I'll be playing panda teemo.

scy

But I'll prolly buy Vi. Or some other top laner. I liked that I managed to beat a Teemo for like the first time ever with Vi. It's the main reason I don't do top.

For all my bitching about Teemo, a good amount of top laners can beat him or outplay him. And then he's kind of meh come the late-game anyway, barring shroom-related objective control / we're all idiots and run through shrooms.

I'll be playing panda teemo.

sociopath

mercviper

I'd rather lose games as Lulu than win as Snoaraka, she's just so damn boring. But hey, good for you if you found a champ that really works for you so early on. Sona used to be my go-to support champ until I played Lulu, completely changed the way I think about support.

That's the great thing about this game, though. You sort of think you have something figured out and then you try a certain champ and it's like "Ohh shit, that's how this is supposed to work." Good times, good times.

With all the things that you can do as a support to keep you busy, having a 'boring' kit is pretty helpful in keeping track of everything since you can spend more of your attention with the actual support role. I don't find her boring because I always have something to do, and that has absolutely nothing to do with the character's kit that I chose as support. I guess everyone who finds her boring just multi-tasks a lot better than me.

garath

Sucks, I just bought RP last week. And now they announce the bonus. I guess I should get another $20 at least. After all, I cannot currently afford BOTH a new champion bundle and a sale priced skin or champ. I'll be a few rp short.

If I could only see the future, I would have waited and bought $100 when it had a super bonus instead of all these small $20 and $35 amounts I've been doing.

scy

With all the things that you can do as a support to keep you busy, having a 'boring' kit is pretty helpful in keeping track of everything since you can spend more of your attention with the actual support role. I don't find her boring because I always have something to do, and that has absolutely nothing to do with the character's kit that I chose as support. I guess everyone who finds her boring just multi-tasks a lot better than me.

Here's the thing that I never quite got: I find the passive part of a Soraka lane to not be on the side WITH the Soraka. Like, they should be more aggressive due to having the sustain for it. I hate going against a Soraka lane because it makes my harass feel futile. Compare this to a Taric or Nami or Sona lane where the harass never quite feels quite as pointless.

I mean, I guess Soraka doesn't get to do much beyond the occasional banana and silence but like ... it's still active zoning. If you sit in a bush and just heal then that's your fault for playing poorly, y'know?

I appreciate the fact that most new skins have new back animations.

Even if these back animations will end up costing me RP for champions I never play.

Goddamnit Annie.

Getting ready to play this for the first time ever. Any newb resources I should read/be familiar with before I jump in?

solomid.net's Featured Guides tend to be fairly good to at least read up on champion item builds and skill orders. I wouldn't consider any of them* a complete resource but they should do a good job of explaining rationale about the champions.

Beyond that, I preferred streams for picking up on things when I started playing. Wingsofdeath (Top laner), scarra (mid laner), TheOddOne (Jungler / random bouts of insanity), etc.

*There's some exceptions; InvertedComposer's Singed guide, for instance.

Was thinking about buying $10 worth of RP with the bonus, but it seems more worthwhile to get $20 instead (more bonus RP).

Not sure what I would buy though. Multiple skins for the same champ seems like a waste since you can only use one at a time.

garath

Was thinking about buying $10 worth of RP with the bonus, but it seems more worthwhile to get $20 instead (more bonus RP).

Not sure what I would buy though. Multiple skins for the same champ seems like a waste since you can only use one at a time.

Well you know.. sometimes you're in a naughty nurse mood with Akali, sometimes you're a bloodmoon ninja of death.

Personally I've never pictured myself as a cosmetics purchaser but some of these skins are so damn cool. They put a lot of work into the animations, the voice and the look that greatly surpass the base or older skins for a champ. It's fun to have for your more played champs.

Just don't be like scy and me, buying skins for champs you don't even play. Cause that's just silly. Right?

scy

Just don't be like scy and me, buying skins for champs you don't even play. Cause that's just silly. Right?

Or buying champions to then buy a skin and then never play that champion.

In my defense, they were going to be Legacy skins.

Yeah. That's totally why I did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom