• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Blowing the enemy Flash is only useful is you capitalize on it, and I do not consider my ganks successful if I that's all I get out of them. Obviously it is a good thing, but it often requires the jungler to pay attention to that lane while the cooldowns are up. There are so many strong jungle gankers. Are you guys really going to sit here and tell me that Vi ganks measure up to what Maokai, Nautilus, Rammus, Lee, Sejuani, Nocturne, Fiddle, and Jarvan can do? I could keep going too is the sad part. Vi ganks are pitiful, and I'm not afraid of her with or without Frozen Mallet (which realistically is not happening early in the game).

But Phage (or Red Buff) would be relatively early. I merely mentioned FM since it's notable for late game escaping her, not due to expecting it early game.

And yes, I'm going to sit here and say that her gank measures up to some of the best jungler ganks. Because she does. And she's considered a strong ganker once she has her ult because of it. It's one of the best ganking ults in the game.

Edit: Conversely, her ganks pre-6 are goddamn terrible unless it's an unwarded target that's beyond overextended.

You are already bringing up the laner and her level six ganks. A guaranteed gap closer isn't that great when the enemy can just run away after it's over. It's a very short single target CC with below average range on it.

I mentioned nothing about the laner's damage or CC options. They're always relevant for a gank, however, and to ignore them completely is completely wrong. If we're going to do that, then a lot of amazing gankers become terrible due to the lack of their damage output (e.g., Maokai won't 1v1 nearly anyone).

Besides that, how are they just running away from her? She's on the opposite side of them so if they Flash over her, they're easy to pursue due to wasting half the Flash range. Or they have to run at a bad angle since, again, Vi is now in their retreat path. Red buff or Phage is a slow and they're not escaping. She has auto-attack resets so she's going to be getting multiple autos in once a single slow lands.

And "below average" range on her ult? It's 700. You bring up Maokai and his is 650.

Let me give Vi a prize. Picking off stragglers. Nobody else in League can do that without having to blow fairly long CD ults.

Come late game, it doesn't matter that it's a fairly long cooldown (80s, for the record) if it sets up a 4v5. Or gives you an advantage of some kind. And I merely bring it up because you mention she can't catch anyone out, which really isn't the case.

It's one thing to clear lanes, it is another to push them. Without much to escape with Vi cannot push very hard, or contribute to team fights should they be forced in the way other champions can.

She can escape with her Q. Unless she's caught out and boxed in. In which case, I suppose the same argument could be applied to everyone but the best split pushers, and even then it's fairly shaky for some of them to get out.

Vi clears waves really quickly. She takes down turrets quickly due to her auto-attack reset. She has an okay chance at escaping due to the distance she can get with her Q / the walls she can jump with it. Is she an amazing split pusher? No. Can she push a wave and put damage on a tower and have a shot at escaping? Yes.

I've only have played her in ARAM, but that Q needs to charge up faster....

1s would be amazing for it but it currently takes 1.25s to get to 725 Range (900 collision range). It takes about half a second of charge time for her to dash farther than Flash, even counting the self-slow.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ahh thx, was looking for a way to align it but didnt know how :)

Updated Wallet of Shame!!!

Code:
[B][U]
User[/U][/B]-------------------[B][U]Time Playing[/U][/B]--------------[B][U]SHAME[/U][/B]
Agkel-------------------06 Weeks  -------------------  $185
Jazzy-------------------35 Months ------------------- ~$300
mercviper---------------36 Months ------------------- ~$225
Achtius-----------------24 Months -------------------   $20
scy---------------------07 Months ------------------- ~$250
zkylon------------------08 Months -------------------   $35
Diprosalic--------------24 Months -------------------    $0 (Boooooo!)
Ferrio------------------18 Months ------------------- ~$120
Inskipp-----------------36 Months ------------------- ~$135
Axispowers--------------27 Months ------------------- ~$500
Cool, just copy paste it on notepad (programmers!) and line it up there and that'll do. I dunno why I can't get the SHAME to show up farther right though :/

Is there a way to check how much cash you've spent? I don't remember how much I've used over the course of 3 years (it's probly over 100€ for sure....)
I just searched "riot games inc payment" on my emails :p

Vi clears waves really quickly. She takes down turrets quickly due to her auto-attack reset.
What reset?

I wasn't going to do this, but I can't believe how much I spent. $220, not good for someone who barely works.

I have been playing on and off for ~36 months I guess.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
She can escape with her Q. Unless she's caught out and boxed in. In which case, I suppose the same argument could be applied to everyone but the best split pushers, and even then it's fairly shaky for some of them to get out.
I can't keep on going with responding to everything, but I will just say that more knowledgeable players are easily able to inhibit these types of dashes that stop on collision with enemy champions.

scy

What reset?

Her E is an auto-attack reset. So going Auto-E will give her two attacks with no delay.

If you really want to go all out, you can E on the approach for the bonus damage and to start the next E charge cooldown earlier so you can use E three times in the fight instead of just twice:

E - Auto - E - Auto - E

I can't keep on going with responding to everything, but I will just say that more knowledgeable players are easily able to inhibit these types of dashes that stop on collision with enemy champions.

How? By Flashing ahead of her to eat it? She can use her Q to jump walls as well and there's really no way to get in the path of that; they can anticipate where she's going with the dash but that's the same for a lot of other jumps (though, yes, hers has a longer delay than all of them). There's a reason why I said unless boxed in (e.g., someone in her direct escape path) for her escape. It's not the best, sure, but it works.

She's not a Nidalee or Shen in her escape ability but she's not entirely immobile. I'm more comfortable pushing with her like this than with Irelia, for instance. Well, barring Irelia's better dueling.

garath

Omg. I'm now very sad I even looked.

Since I've only ever used Paypal I was able to find out how much I've spent pretty quickly.

$190, 13 months played. I could have sworn it was around $140. Jeez.

$14.60 a month. It's like an MMO!

If I would have just bought $100 straight up initially I probably would have saved about $30.

njean777

Her E is an auto-attack reset. So going Auto-E will give her two attacks with no delay.

If you really want to go all out, you can E on the approach for the bonus damage and to start the next E charge cooldown earlier so you can use E three times in the fight instead of just twice:

E - Auto - E - Auto - E

How? By Flashing ahead of her to eat it? She can use her Q to jump walls as well and there's really no way to get in the path of that; they can anticipate where she's going with the dash but that's the same for a lot of other jumps (though, yes, hers has a longer delay than all of them). There's a reason why I said unless boxed in (e.g., someone in her direct escape path) for her escape. It's not the best, sure, but it works.

She's not a Nidalee or Shen in her escape ability but she's not entirely immobile. I'm more comfortable pushing with her like this than with Irelia, for instance. Well, barring Irelia's better dueling.

Seems to me he/she just doesnt like Vi... like at all

zkylon

zkylewd
Her E is an Auto Attack reset.

E - Auto - E - Auto - E
ty, didn't know. Kinda like Teemo's poison/blind (can't remember) dart, right?

mercviper

Well let's backtrack a bit to what I was saying.

Trading a bruiser for an ADC is a pretty big swing for a late game team fight.
Maybe in S2. I do not feel that the trade is quite so beneficial now. If it was more guaranteed I could see the value, or if it's someone like Kha'Zix who can come in and move back out safely, but to me Vi going in is a coin toss. I definitely feel like it is possible for the AD carry to survive Vi's assault when they can jump away after the slam.

Yeah, I can agree that in S3 the AD role has diminished some, but they're still the biggest damage output at the end and also a priority target. Vi's got enough tank that I believe she can get out after assassinating the carry if she goes in at the right time. I don't think there's much more to this since it's weighted on opinions of role importance.

I still don't understand why you think forcing a flash is a wasted gank. I assume Xin is a terrible ganker in your eyes as well.

Waste of the junglers time in most situations, especially when they can ward and easily avoid further Vi ganks.

Blowing the enemy Flash is only useful is you capitalize on it, and I do not consider my ganks successful if I that's all I get out of them. Obviously it is a good thing, but it often requires the jungler to pay attention to that lane while the cooldowns are up. There are so many strong jungle gankers. Are you guys really going to sit here and tell me that Vi ganks measure up to what Maokai, Nautilus, Rammus, Lee, Sejuani, Nocturne, Fiddle, and Jarvan can do? I could keep going too is the sad part. Vi ganks are pitiful, and I'm not afraid of her with or without Frozen Mallet (which realistically is not happening early in the game).

I'm just talking about blowing flash being good/bad. I never said I thought Vi to be the best ganker ever.

You mention that it requires the jungler to pay attention to the lane while the cooldown is up and so? It opens up the option to gank there now. Are you really going to sit around farming the jungle while they push your top laner to tower, go back to fountain, and then buy a ward to guard their lane while flash is down?

How is Xin the same at all? He has a knock-up and a slow that doesn't decay and is able to make excellent use of red buff.

I mention Xin since he's considered a decent ganker but loses out for the same reason you pointed out that Vi is terrible, therefore Xin is terrible.

njean777

you dont even want to know how much i spent in the span of 1 month. I think its 150$, but to be fair I still have like 6000 rp. I have been trying many champions (even when they are free).

My main champions I like so far are
Vi
Volibear
Caitlyn
Vayne
Xin Zhao
Miss Fortune
Ashe

I need to find a support I like though, Sona looks fun, as well as Lulu.

Ferrio

Banned
Went back in my gmails, I paid $145. So My estimate was 25 bucks off... not bad.

As well as my "Welcome to the beta!" emails, that I never joined. Thought the game looked like a PoS.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I mention Xin since he's considered a decent ganker but loses out for the same reason you pointed out that Vi is terrible, therefore Xin is terrible.
I really feel like Xin gets picked because of his strong early game when it comes to fighting enemy champions and ganks. I do not personally play him, that's just my perception.

zkylon

zkylewd
Still does

whoooooooaaaaaaaaaaaa
To be honest, yup.

Specially compared to Dota, though the LoL style of "let's mash a bunch of shit together" just grew on me. You got sci-fi, people in knightly armor, pirates, mummies, and boobs galore and somehow it kinda works.

I do wish the game scaled up a bit more though...

Ferrio

Banned
To be honest, yup.

Specially compared to Dota, though the LoL style of "let's mash a bunch of shit together" just grew on me. You got sci-fi, people in knightly armor, pirates, mummies, and boobs galore and somehow it kinda works.

Makes everything better... though I guess nice HD huge polycount boots is even better.

Wonder how hard it would be for Riot to make a first person view.

njean777

To be honest, yup.

I dont mind the graphics, Dota 2 is just way to convoluted and not streamlined like LOL is imo. Not to mention that you have way more systems in place in Dota 2 compared to LOL, LOL already has a lot going on. Throw more on top of that, and I am not gonna have a good time.

Agkel

Code:
[B][U]
User[/U][/B]-------------------[B][U]Time Playing[/U][/B]--------------------[B][U]SHAME[/U][/B]------------[B][U]Guilt ratio (Monthly)[/U][/B]
Agkel-------------------02 Months  ------------------  $185 ------------------- $92.5
Jazzy-------------------35 Months ------------------- ~$300 ------------------- $8.57
mercviper---------------36 Months ------------------- ~$185 ------------------- $5.14
Achtius-----------------24 Months -------------------   $20 ------------------- $0.83
scy---------------------07 Months ------------------- ~$250 ------------------- $35.71
zkylon------------------08 Months -------------------   $35 ------------------- $4.75
Diprosalic--------------24 Months -------------------    $0 (Boooooo!) --- Has known no pixelated pleasures
Ferrio------------------18 Months ------------------- ~$145 ------------------- $8.22
Inskipp-----------------36 Months ------------------- ~$135 ------------------- $3.75
Axispowers--------------27 Months ------------------- ~$500 ------------------- $18.52
Schmattakopf------------36 Months -------------------  $220 ------------------- $6.11
njean777----------------01 Months -------------------  $150 ------------------- $150.00
Ferga-------------------26 Months -------------------  $170 ------------------- $6.54
garath------------------13 Months -------------------  $190 ------------------- $14.62
Lone_Prodigy------------12 Months -------------------  $15 ------------------- $1.25
Telaso------------------23 Months -------------------  $735 ------------------- $61.25
CountBlackule-----------?? Months -------------------  $10 ------------------- $?.??

Yeah, even though I would like Dota 2 visuals, Ive got to admit LoL champion visual design (imo) is way better.

Really? I really thought panda annie would make every other skin to not see the light of day.

The new Annie skin is crazy good, but Tibbers looks so ridiculous now I just cant see myself enjoying the skins as much. He has this tilted "troll meme" head that just bothers the fuck out of me.

Ferga

I have multiple for Annie already. I feel bad for my Frankentibbers because he never sees the light of day. Panda Annie, if I get her, will likely also be subject to that treatment. :x

Really? I really thought panda annie would make every other skin to not see the light of day.

And i've used around 170 on this free game. No regrets. Played since november 2010.

garath

Code:
[B][U]
User[/U][/B]------------------[B][U]Time Playing[/U][/B]--------------------[B][U]SHAME[/U][/B]
Agkel-------------------02 Months  ------------------  $185
mercviper---------------36 Months ------------------- ~$185
Ferrio------------------18 Months ------------------- ~$145
Schmattakopf------------36 Months -------------------  $220
njean777----------------01 Months -------------------  $150
Ferga-------------------26 Months -------------------  $170

Yeah, even though I would like Dota 2 visuals, Ive got to admit LoL champion design (imo) is way better.

Missed me ;)

190 bucks in 13 mo. I console myself that even though I am among the worst, I am not as bad as scy. :)

And its worth noting that if this little chart is any indication riot is doing very well. With few exceptions every person has spent 2-3 times the normal price of a AAA title. Pretty cool.

zkylon

zkylewd
Makes everything better... though I guess nice HD huge polycount boots is even better.

Wonder how hard it would be for Riot to make a first person view.
The ultimate zero map awareness experience!

I dont mind the graphics, Dota 2 is just way to convoluted and not streamlined like LOL is imo. Not to mention that you have way more systems in place in Dota 2 compared to LOL, LOL already has a lot going on. Throw more on top of that, and I am not gonna have a good time.
To be honest, I feel like LoL has a terrible art direction. I mean, it looks fine but there's no real cohesion and it really is "whatever idea we come up goes!", which is a pretty good idea, actually, since it allows them to make tons of fun skins and not hold back on any champion's design but it's still pretty weird.

And aside from that, from a more technical perspective, there's a handful of champions that either have dreadful splasharts or very blocky and outdated character models and in general the game looks subpar compared to current tech. I think LoL doesn't even have normal or specular maps on most stuff or post-processing, etc. Shaders for champions in general are very basic celshading+diffuse and it feels like that's it.

Just look how cool this green dude's back looks by having specular+normal maps and rim-shading and who knows what: http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/a...f8b385b47c48e985ff.1920x1080.jpg?t=1357678490

I don't know if LoL needs all those things, but I'm sitting on a pretty decent rig and I wouldn't mind if it taxed it a bit more.

Also I do agree that readability > graphics and that readability should be something that's valued across the board of graphics settings (i.e. no lowering grass graphics so you can see people hiding under them like in CoD4).

Code:
[B][U]
User[/U][/B]------------------[B][U]Time Playing[/U][/B]--------------------[B][U]SHAME[/U][/B]

Yeah, even though I would like Dota 2 visuals, Ive got to admit LoL champion design (imo) is way better.
We need graphs!

Code:
[B][U]
garath------------------19 Months -------------------  $190

...I didn't realize that I spent so much more than most... At least I have my skins....QQ

My account has been around since beta (King Rammus whoo) but I didn't start playing until last year. Have gifted $15 RP and was gifted Slay Belle Kat in return, so I guess I've spent $15?

Still less than the $30 I plopped on HoN.

Dai Kaiju

Can someone post a link to some solid mid level play? I've done extensive reading on gameplay and build guides but I can't seem to keep up with everyone else. Up until now I've had loads of fun just playing against beginner bots, but when I try intermediate, my team usually loses and it seems to be my fault more often than not. For reference, I like using cho, jarv, galio, mord, yorick, graves, and Darius.

zkylon

zkylewd
Can someone post a link to some solid mid level play? I've done extensive reading on gameplay and build guides but I can't seem to keep up with everyone else. Up until now I've had loads of fun just playing against beginner bots, but when I try intermediate, my team usually loses and it seems to be my fault more often than not. For reference, I like using cho, jarv, galio, mord, yorick, graves, and Darius.
You can watch mah replays: http://www.leaguereplays.com/summoners/NA/zkylon/
lol

Other than that Froggen is always cool: http://www.own3d.tv/Froggen though I think he doesn't play any your champs.

By the way, out of the ones you mentioned, the only ones that are "normal" picks for mid would be Cho, Morde and Galio, with J4 being a more irregular but still pretty valid counterpick against most AP mids. The rest are all better suited top or bot.

I suggest you grab Annie and play her since she's pretty easy, good and has a flaming bear for a pet.

Just some ideas:
* Farm a lot
* Harassing the enemy laner but watch your mana because...
* You need to be able to follow through if you get a gank
* Buy wards to avoid ganks
* If the enemy laner went back to base/got killed and you're still in condition to stay either a) roam and help bot/top, b) push your wave and hurt the enemy tower and make the enemy mid lose CS, c) go back and buy so you're not "outimized" though...
* Levels are worth more than items early game, so if you got to level 6 before the enemy mid, exploit that advantage. Same on the first 3/4 levels.
* Watch the map. You can help other teammates a lot since you're pretty close to everything, so if your jungler gets caught while invading, you can just ping him to run towards you and help him and even maybe get a kill.
* Call MIAs, mids tend to roam a lot, specially if winning. Ward appropriately so you can tell bot/top to watch out. If you see your mid go gank, call your MIA, v ping and then either a) follow him and countergank, b) hurt his tower. It depends on the situation, but usually you should try to follow and help your teammates.
* Roaming with your jungler is always nice, specially if you're, say, Katarina and have no CC
* If you're losing your lane buy defensive items and focus on not feeding while not being zoned. You can sorta do that if you go like Abyssal Scepter instead of Rab's or something, but it's not always possible. Sometimes just push and go roaming or go do wraiths or wolves to get some money back. Just stay present in the game, or else the enemy mid will have free reign over most of the map and you'll be sorely sorry.
* Speaking of Wraiths, do Wraiths a lot, if you can.

That about it.

edit: dumb me is dumb

Ferga

Playing bots? Do nothing but kill minions. You see a bot run up to tower? Fuck it. Don't even get assist gold from it. It doesn't make you a better player.

Get gold from minions.

Bots don't teach you anything about the game. Only thing you can do while playing vs bots is csing.

Kill creeps for the entire game and get better at it. After that you can start to play normal games and learn about harassing from guides and experience.

Game isn't all about killing champions. It's mostly minion gold.

njean777

Playing bots? Do nothing but kill minions. You see a bot run up to tower? Fuck it. Don't even get assist gold from it. It doesn't make you a better player.

Get gold from minions.

Bots don't teach you anything about the game. Only thing you can do while playing vs bots is csing.

Kill creeps for the entire game and get better at it. After that you can start to play normal games and learn about harassing from guides and experience.

Game isn't all about killing champions. It's mostly minion gold.

Well it does teach you how champions abilities work, that is the reason I use bot matched. To feel out a champion and see if I like them at all.

Bot games are about taking advantage of how stupid the bots are. If you don't do that and it somehow gets past 30 minutes, it doesn't even matter because they are too far ahead. It really has no correlation to normal games.

Other than that Froggen is always cool: http://www.own3d.tv/Froggen
I don't think he meant mid.

Telaso

Banned
Code:
[B][U]
User[/U][/B]-------------------[B][U]Time Playing[/U][/B]--------------------[B][U]SHAME[/U][/B]
garath------------------13 Months -------------------  $190

I dont play that often with Gaf anymore, but I top most people there. For the last 2 years Ive spent 400 dollars on RP as gifts. My 4 brothers all play, so thats 25 for xmas and bday each. Also counting linked to my account I am at.... $335........

I cant believe overall Ive given Riot $735 that I remember......

Start playing in Feb of 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom