• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

I don't know about this new matchmaking. I haven't lost since the change. Granted I do feel like I'm playing pretty good league but at the same time I have to wonder if I'm not getting punished for my mistakes enough.

I keep saying I'm going to start ranked but I just don't feel like the bullshit. Normal drafts have enough as it is.

I'll just enjoy it and keep playing I suppose. :)

Crazy part is I'm not even trying to get a role (usually I'd try for mid or top), I'm just playing whatever is needed, last 7 games, 7 different champs haha.

Jungle is usually where I struggle the most but I've been on fire. Am I getting better or is the competition getting worse?? I hate not knowing. At least I'm refining my timings, counter-jungling and gank routes.

Shadybiz

Thanks for the tips! I will definitely check out the season 3 videos when I get home today.

My friend did tell me about Mobafire, and I have been checking that out. The AI matches are also good; I am not quite ready to play vs. real people. I think he said to wait until at least lvl 10 or so to stray away from AI; sounds like a reasonable number.

I think I just need to get a good feel for the flow of the game. I find myself overextending and then getting stomped. I guess it's discipline that I have to learn, as well as .

Agkel

Don't buy Black Cleaver, you don't need CDR. Rush Bloodthirster.

How are you running out of mana? Draven's spells cost next to nothing and you only cast anything but Q when you are trying to chunk the enemy.

It sounds like you're not catching your axes or timing activation properly, leading to having to cast Q over and over.

Thx!, right before my last match, did some google crawling and found out that indeed (subconsciously) I kept the Q going all the time and was missing the catches. Fixed this, by throwing and moving back to catch and it worked. Only ran oom on team fights where i spammed W.

Also fuck people that just plain suck, I was 4/0/0 on solo top against garen and lux then once laning phase ended my whole team found the fountain of derp and we got rolled on bad. Bright side is that I'm really enjoying Draven right now and I seem to be getting better at it.

Not as good as my faceroll fiddles, but getting there :D

Zeppelin

Thanks for the tips! I will definitely check out the season 3 videos when I get home today.

My friend did tell me about Mobafire, and I have been checking that out. The AI matches are also good; I am not quite ready to play vs. real people. I think he said to wait until at least lvl 10 or so to stray away from AI; sounds like a reasonable number.

I think I just need to get a good feel for the flow of the game. I find myself overextending and then getting stomped. I guess it's discipline that I have to learn, as well as .

Honestly, just get in there and start playing versus real people. People are really really bad at low levels (aside from the occasional smurf). It's actually pretty amazing to see how the game evolves and how the meta changes as you make your way to level 30.

Blizzard

Banned
I thought people could block the lantern pull by standing on top of the lantern themselves.

It is a neat mechanic. If he starts getting banned that's going to open up a slot for say, blitzcrank or malphite in my games, so someone is going to be available anyway. =P

scy

My friend did tell me about Mobafire, and I have been checking that out.

I'd say to check solomid.net over Mobafire if given the opportunity. Not to say every Mobafire guide is bad but there's quite a few that aren't really that good (e.g., the most popular Ashe guide for a long time recommended Boots of Swiftness in Season 2, stuff like that). I'd read them to get an idea of how thought processes around champions work but nothing really exact.

Likewise, I'd actually apply the same thing to solomid.net's guides for the most part. Use them as a resource to learn the playstyle of a champ and the rationale for choices.

While we're at it, championselect.net can get you an idea for how champions match up but worth note that it's player sourced and people tend to get stuck in anecdotal evidence or confirmation bias. Or just think X is op and beats everyone. I mention it as a nice condensed form of information and it even has links to the most popular guides.

Personally, when I started, I just watched a lot of the informative streams and read a lot
and had someone yell at me for being bad
. So whatever works for you in the end.

Overextending and chasing are like the two worst habits in LoL that never seem to completely go away :( Learning to properly control a lane (e.g., how to freeze lanes, force lanes into positions you want, when to harass, when to bait harass, etc.) is basically how you win many lanes so fixing those problems (/ learning to abuse people who make those mistakes) is an easy way to secure wins.

A lot of LoL laning phases will basically be taking advantage of their mistakes rather than outplaying them.

Thresh Maokai/Xinzao is so fcking good.
The character suck super ass if you have bad jungler or hard lane like taric graves.

Anybody Blitzcrank doesn't want to pull, Thresh doesn't want to pull. Sort of. The Box really screws with Graves, for instance, since he can't dash the walls so you can pull things you normally wouldn't want (Taric, Leona) and Box them. Besides, the Q pull by itself isn't super huge so you can just use it for damage and a temporary displacement.

Also, you can bail out a stunned ADC with Dark Passage in the Graves/Taric lane (or any other stun lane) which is nice.

garath

I'd say to check solomid.net over Mobafire if given the opportunity. Not to say every Mobafire guide is bad but there's quite a few that aren't really that good (e.g., the most popular Ashe guide for a long time recommended Boots of Swiftness in Season 2, stuff like that). I'd read them to get an idea of how thought processes around champions work but nothing really exact.

Likewise, I'd actually apply the same thing to solomid.net's guides for the most part. Use them as a resource to learn the playstyle of a champ and the rationale for choices.

While we're at it, championselect.net can get you an idea for how champions match up but worth note that it's player sourced and people tend to get stuck in anecdotal evidence or confirmation bias. Or just think X is op and beats everyone. I mention it as a nice condensed form of information and it even has links to the most popular guides.

Personally, when I started, I just watched a lot of the informative streams and read a lot
and had someone yell at me for being bad
. So whatever works for you in the end.

I've found lolpro.com to be a good resource as well. Looks like most of the pros split between lolpro and solomid for their guides.

I usually reference both if I want a few tips and grab what I need. Though honestly I can't remember the last time I checked one.

EXGN

Haha, the #1 guide for Singed on Mobafire (coulda been Leaguecraft, not sure) suggested getting Archangels staff as the first item. Every time I saw Singeds build Tear, I knew they had seen that guide and facepalmed immediately.

bjaelke

Haha, the #1 guide for Singed on Mobafire (coulda been Leaguecraft, not sure) suggested getting Archangels staff as the first item. Every time I saw Singeds build Tear, I knew they had seen that guide and facepalmed immediately.

It's a bit more legit to get tear now since it also works with toggles. That said, I'd never get it either.

scy

Yup :x Used to spot bad builds and go, "That's from Mobafire!"

Speaking of Singed, Inverted Composer has a new guide up over on Lolking. Which I didn't realize had guides.

Blizzard

Banned
Something that I find interesting about Thresh is that he seems designed to possibly encourage "good" (given the current meta) support habits. You stick around the minion waves, probably in front of your ADC, so that you can get souls. You don't autoattack minions, so that you can build up the autoattack boost damage and harass enemies with it either from the lane or from the bush.

I already saw at least one person playing him as AD, and I was sort of forced to play him top lane since a free week Shyvana player (who didn't realize Shyvana was melee and was vocally unhappy about that) went support instead. It went okay for a while and I outfarmed the other top laner, but once I got behind a level or two it was done.

The last hit timing feels so good on him, along with collecting souls, that it's very tempting to farm minions. :X

Bots are ruthless. They'll blow all their ults on you even if you're by yourself.

Chasing a Sion as Shyvana with Frozen Mallet is kind of funny. Chase, attack, get stunned, chase, attack, stunned, repeat.

Blizzard

Banned
Oh I forgot to mention the other thing -- Thresh gives the support something to do, collecting souls, instead of just being bored in the 372 seconds between Q and W cooldowns.

scy

To be fair, there are some good Mobafire guides

And there are bad solomid guides. Use all the resources available!

Azubu's guides are on Mobafire, though many of them lack any real explanation so I fully expect to see a lot of Singed players with Hextech Revolver that don't do anything with it.

Something that I find interesting about Thresh is that he seems designed to possibly encourage "good" (given the current meta) support habits. You stick around the minion waves, probably in front of your ADC, so that you can get souls. You don't autoattack minions, so that you can build up the autoattack boost damage and harass enemies with it either from the lane or from the bush.

I just back a lot until I get a tire. Skins teach terrible habits.

His Q Passive works well with Pickpocket. Sort of. Pickpocket's 5s internal CD is about half of Death Sentence's build-up. Though, it then makes his build 1/13/16 vs 0/13/17 and that's a rather hard decision.

I still haven't used his Q self-pull all that much. It sets up the easy trap with his ultimate and Flay though so I probably should be.

Edit: On that note, his Q is a fairly long duration stun so grabbing someone for the ADC to attack twice and then pushing them away with Flay is rather funny. Or pull them in closer with Flay for the kill. Got a Zyra, I think, last night with that when she was under turret. Run in, Q, walk away from tower aggro, pull again, Flay back in, Ult. gg.

The last hit timing feels so good on him, along with collecting souls, that it's very tempting to farm minions. :X

Rex spent like the majority of the time in lane pointing out souls for me to get. "YOU'RE LOSING SO MANY SOULS" ;_;

zkylon

zkylewd
The issue with Lantern so far is that A) It's new, what do with this?! and B) The activate itself is kind of wonky. The hitbox for it seems to be small and there's some inconsistency about actually getting it to fire. Maybe some smoothing out needed for the Lantern but, yeah, it's a theoretically amazing tool. It and Locket means blocking 500-ish damage across the team in a fight and max CDR can get a second Lantern out for when the team fight is winding down. Pretty good.
I get the feeling they'll either remove the shield from the lantern or lower its range.

While Thresh's has other uses I feel the lantern makes him a bit like a support Nunu, though instead of providing the ADC with a permanent AS buff, he's just a walking flash dispenser for the team.

Ferrio

Banned
Though haven't played him, I thought it was odd that players had to click on the latern to activate it... and not thresh reactivating the skill. I think that's a bad design decision really.

JesseZao

Though haven't played him, I thought it was odd that players had to click on the latern to activate it... and not thresh reactivating the skill. I think that's a bad design decision really.

It's a compromise to prevent thresh from griefing his own team. They've talked about why they don't have a Pudge?-like pull in the game before.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

You're not wrong but that skill would be abused so much by shitty teammates.

Ferrio

Banned
It's a compromise to prevent thresh from griefing his own team. They've talked about why they don't have a Pudge?-like pull in the game before.

Ah so now I see why. That's a tough decision.

Though bad pudge pulls were always hilarious. And I mean really, if someone trolls with it... we have a ban system for that anyways... how's it any different than trolling with any other character.

scy

Ah so now I see why. That's a tough decision.

Though bad pudge pulls were always hilarious. And I mean really, if someone trolls with it... we have a ban system for that anyways... how's it any different than trolling with any other character.

It's just closing a possible way to grief with it.

And there are bad solomid guides. Use all the resources available!

Azubu's guides are on Mobafire, though many of them lack any real explanation so I fully expect to see a lot of Singed players with Hextech Revolver that don't do anything with it.

I just back a lot until I get a tire. Skins teach terrible habits.

His Q Passive works well with Pickpocket. Sort of. Pickpocket's 5s internal CD is about half of Death Sentence's build-up. Though, it then makes his build 1/13/16 vs 0/13/17 and that's a rather hard decision.

I still haven't used his Q self-pull all that much. It sets up the easy trap with his ultimate and Flay though so I probably should be.

Edit: On that note, his Q is a fairly long duration stun so grabbing someone for the ADC to attack twice and then pushing them away with Flay is rather funny. Or pull them in closer with Flay for the kill. Got a Zyra, I think, last night with that when she was under turret. Run in, Q, walk away from tower aggro, pull again, Flay back in, Ult. gg.

Rex spent like the majority of the time in lane pointing out souls for me to get. "YOU'RE LOSING SO MANY SOULS" ;_;

U bad son.
I dunno how to click on lantern.

I don't think I've seen Archangels recommended as a first item, but you generally want to build tear early and get Archangels after you have a reasonable tank. Singed triggers Tear on his toggle so it basically acts as a super mana regen item early on.

Ferga

They should have a double click thing on the lantern.

The model for it should be the same as say gragas and it'll only activate if you double click on it within a second. I reckon that will fix the whole size thing while not letting people accidently press it and go flying off

Ferrio

Banned
They should have a double click thing on the lantern.

The model for it should be the same as say gragas and it'll only activate if you double click on it within a second. I reckon that will fix the whole size thing while not letting people accidently press it and go flying off

No, they should let Thresh trigger it BUT a dialog box will pop up for the other player "Do you wish to be pulled?" along with a captcha. If you misspell the captcha, you take damage.

scy

Just increase the activation range to the shield range. It already has a display for the shield range so it makes it a fairly obvious "I need to get to there to use it." Though, I wager that wasn't done since there would be many accidental clicks on it that way.

I dunno. I've only been on the Thresh side of the lantern so the fuck do I know. I just throw it out and cry when it isn't used.

ILL Virtue

Neo Member
Hey fellow Gafers.

I'm fairly new to LoL. Been playing for about a couple months now. I am officially hooked... I play with jungle / assasin. Noc is my fav, and ive grown to like skarner alot in his free week. Anyway, few questions/statments for you guys...

1. So I played a game a few days ago against a team of (Voli, Xin, Wu, Vi, Mund). WTF are you supposed to do with a team like that. They went tanky and it literally would take 4 of us to gank and kill Mundo alone, let alone 5 of them. Our team wasnt the best composition (shaco, jax, lux, teemo, ? forget 5th), but it was a little ridiculous...

2. Xin is OP...

3. Blitz can go to hell

That is all...

Edit: also need a good youtube channel to follow for LoL if you guys know any...

Ferrio

Banned
Hey fellow Gafers.

I'm fairly new to LoL. Been playing for about a couple months now. I am officially hooked... I play with jungle / assasin. Noc is my fav, and ive grown to like skarner alot in his free week. Anyway, few questions/statments for you guys...

1. So I played a game a few days ago against a team of (Voli, Xin, Wu, Vi, Mund). WTF are you supposed to do with a team like that. They went tanky and it literally would take 4 of us to gank and kill Mundo alone, let alone 5 of them. Our team wasnt the best composition (shaco, jax, lux, teemo, ? forget 5th), but it was a little ridiculous...

2. Xin is OP...

3. Blitz can go to hell

That is all...

Edit: also need a good youtube channel to follow for LoL if you guys know any...

You guys lacked a good AD carry, which is what you need against teams like that. Someone like kogmaw would of been good against that comp to.

Hey fellow Gafers.

That's a rough team to fight but the problem was mostly with you guys. Shaco and Teemo are both kind of weak late game and Lux is going to have trouble doing meaningful damage to them. If you'd had an ADC and some bruisers/assassins of your own you would have been better off. Those bruisers get a lot less scary when you have characters pumping out 1500+ dps.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well, all tank "comps" are tough to crack, but since they're all melee you can use that to your advantage or build tanky items yourself and make use of your higher damage in teamfights, etc.

I mean, while Wukong, Xin Zhao, etc. have gap closers, a good Lux player should be able to harass them from a distance to the point they have to either go base or risk dying and when the numbers are in your favor is when you strike.

Still, hard comp to play against.

Also yeah, you need a good AD carry with hard hitting items, aka not Teemo :p

2. Xin is OP...
Yup. He's an all or nothing champ, so if you deny him getting fed early on (i.e. buy wards and don't get ganked) you'll eat him alive in mid-late game. Also most people don't build him tanky so later on he becomes ridiculously wimpy.

Still, fuck that dash+3 hit combo.

3. Blitz can go to hell
Wards and hide behind minions. Problem solved.

ILL Virtue

Neo Member
You guys lacked a good AD carry, which is what you need against teams like that. Someone like kogmaw would of been good against that comp to.

So one good adc would have made a difference? I feel like a team like that you have to counter pick, which obviously you can't do. If you ran that team in casuals there is no reason you shouldn't win 95% of your games. But that's kinda my issue. I feel like tanks deal too much damage. If your there to soak up damage you should not be getting kills left and right. They are semi broken (lookin at you garen). You can build a tanky xin or wu and still slaughter competition

Ferrio

Banned
Wards and hide behind minions. Problem solved.

To me that's never good advice about blitz, cause no matter how prepared you are.. he's going to land a grab eventually.

I think the better strat is to lane someone who doesn't mind getting grabbed (leona?, and smacking him down when it happens. Make him afraid to grab you.

So one good adc would have made a difference? I feel like a team like that you have to counter pick, which obviously you can't do. If you ran that team in casuals there is no reason you shouldn't win 95% of your games. But that's kinda my issue. I feel like tanks deal too much damage. If your there to soak up damage you should not be getting kills left and right. They are semi broken (lookin at you garen). You can build a tanky xin or wu and still slaughter competition

Counter picking is the name of the game really. Also the reason you see an ADC on every team is to handle tanks, or teams like that. Tanks do indeed pull quite a bit of damage, but they can't compare to an equally geared ADC. Your team still could of won, but you needed to get an early advantage and push for an early/midgame win. Their team scaled well with end game, yours didn't besides Jax.

erragal

Just increase the activation range to the shield range. It already has a display for the shield range so it makes it a fairly obvious "I need to get to there to use it." Though, I wager that wasn't done since there would be many accidental clicks on it that way.

I dunno. I've only been on the Thresh side of the lantern so the fuck do I know. I just throw it out and cry when it isn't used.

Speaking of this I had a game where my Caitlyn ADC was pretty competent but missed a lot of chances to secure kills with lantern or escape with it. Really good for tower diving shenanigans though. Thresh is definitely in my top tier of favorite champions just based on his kit; his cooldowns are unwieldy but manageable by late midgame if you get CDR. I think lucidity is so important on him.

AcridMeat

Banned
RALT33h.jpg

I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom