• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

I don't think it's worth it, really, Lux's E is AoE (I dunno if the ult is) and she's got way too much cooldown to make good use of it.

Also Void Staff is great. Not as good as Abyss but on Lux it is.

Well late game everyone has warmogs and the void staff wasn't really helping. I run max CDR on Lux so I was just peeling for my adc while we were kiting them backwards. Abyssal is okay, but I have no idea if the range is long enough to do the q + e + r wombo combo on someone. Maybe I could get Deathfire, but the problem with Lux is her fighting range is basically her q range.

njean777

Playing Talon a bit more since the nerf and doing a lot better with him actually, also Vi still my go to for destruction. Doing a whole lot better with Vayne as well.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
worst champion, why did riot bother:
M4fein6.jpg

dimb

IDK Sajuani is horrible, so bad they are going to rework her I heard. I could be wrong though I only heard it from a friend so take that with a grain of salt.
Sejuani is really powerful. I am actually worried about them messing around with her too much but I bet most of the "rework" is quality of life changes.

Garen is fundamentally broken as a champion with a kit that promotes passivity and running away.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well late game everyone has warmogs and the void staff wasn't really helping. I run max CDR on Lux so I was just peeling for my adc while we were kiting them backwards. Abyssal is okay, but I have no idea if the range is long enough to do the q + e + r wombo combo on someone. Maybe I could get Deathfire, but the problem with Lux is her fighting range is basically her q range.
Yeah that last thing is why I don't buy DFG and go for Zhonya's. Also I'm forgetful about Actives (Zhonya's included lol).

The range on Abyss is 700 now, I think, and I've been testing using Void Staff and it just feels like I do way more damage, so I'm guessing the damage reduction didn't come into play as often as I'd like. Lux's Q and E are 1175 and 1100 range respectively so really even if in League of Warmogs where no one ever buys MR, 35% of 50 MR is still better than 0, specially with this new weird MR change that apparently makes % better than flat for some reason.

Also I think my problem with Liandry's is that if everyone's got Warmog's you're basically cancelling out the Warmog's passive with Liandry's unless you proc it really often like with Cassiopeia. Lux has like 6 second cooldowns on max CDR (who doesn't max it for 24 second lasers, really?) so really I don't think it ends up mattering too much.

So basically: Rabs, Athene's (I'm trying to get into Morello's but I don't think the items it builds off are very useful for Lux), Sorcs Boots, Void Staff, GA/Warmogs, Zhonya's, and tons of Blue Elixirs.

I'm thinking of maybe building Aegis instead of Warmogs since it's cheaper and I like armor/MR.

worst champion, why did riot bother:
The sword is cool, it looks very Steel Batallion-ish, I kinda like that skin.

No idea about Garen, though, I rarely play top.

bjaelke

OGN and EU Qualifiers today. Not going to get a lot of work done, am I? Barely had my morning coffee and the first game starts in an hour.

Somax

For the wall of shame:
23€ on US server
25€ on EUW after I started there from scratch.

I tried some time ago to ask Riot if it was possible to delete my us account and transfer my purchases to EUW, but I got a polite answer that it was not possible.

I miss my US beta king rammus... and the basic champion pack, bought when it was convenient to do so. :(

Ferga

Watching Acer's adc play Varus who is leveling Q first in the Riot qualifiers.

Just why

He has missed out so many kills because he is useless after pressing Q

He just missed the easiest quadra kill because all he could do was press Q for a closer range Q which did almost no damage. Lucky Acer's mid came to clean up.

Snowman

Watching Acer's adc play Varus who is leveling Q first in the Riot qualifiers.

Just why

He has missed out so many kills because he is useless after pressing Q

He just missed the easiest quadra kill because all he could do was press Q for a closer range Q which did almost no damage. Lucky Acer's mid came to clean up.

What else would you level first on an AD varus? Especially in a lane with no sustain, need dat poke.

Ferga

What else would you level first on an AD varus? Especially in a lane with no sustain, need dat poke.

Um... E?

You've obviously never played varus before. Leveling Q up first is the weakest of the 3 skills.

If you try all 3 routes, you'll understand.

Makes me mad when people level Q with Varus. He becomes the most useless champ in the game

Even W works if you want to play a farm lane and wait for jungler ganks.

Snowman

Um... E?

You've obviously never played varus before. Leveling Q up first is the weakest of the 3 skills.

If you try all 3 routes, you'll understand.

Makes me mad when people level Q with Varus. He becomes the most useless champ in the game

Even W works if you want to play a farm lane and wait for jungler ganks.

Obviously! xD

Q is the best for poking, which is clearly what he was going for, I'm sure he's played more varus than you and knows what he's doing. Never heard of leveling E first on varus, seems crazy.

Ferga

Obviously! xD

Q is the best for poking, which is clearly what he was going for, I'm sure he's played more varus than you and knows what he's doing. Never heard of leveling E first on varus, seems crazy.

Umm... just no.

People on GAF have seen what I do with Varus in lane. Ask around.

Varus use to be my main and I have over 600 games with him. Pretty sure I have over 90% win rate with him too.

If Acer's adc leveled E, he would of destroyed that mf lane. Trust me on this. I can argue with you all night with my knowledge on Varus.

Think about it. Think about Varus' kit and then think about leveling Q. Read his skills. If you don't understand, i'll write an essay on it.

And you don't simply play a 'poke' lane against mf and lulu.

Ferga

I like to take E>Q>W on Varus. Slow on E is fantastic at higher levels and the damage is also quite good.

It's also a lot more reasonable to hit 3 auto attacks and pop it with an easy E for a big ass burst.

I mean the Q hit range is so tiny and people wont'be dumb as hell to just stand in lane for you to pop it with a fully charged Q. People will usually run the hell back to tower to wait for the W stacks to run out to not risk the explosive burst of Varus. But you can't run from a close range E.

Snowman

Umm... just no.

People on GAF have seen what I do with Varus in lane. Ask around.

Varus use to be my main and I have over 600 games with him. Pretty sure I have over 90% win rate with him too.

If Acer's adc leveled E, he would of destroyed that mf lane. Trust me on this. I can argue with you all night with my knowledge on Varus.

Think about it. Think about Varus' kit and then think about leveling Q. Read his skills. If you don't understand, i'll write an essay on it.

And you don't simply play a 'poke' lane against mf and lulu.

Look dude I'm actually sincerely sorry if I offended you by questioning your "knowledge on Varus", you clearly know a lot more about playing him than me! I just think the adc on an eu season 3 qualifier team probably knows what he's doing.

Ferga

Look dude I'm sorry if I offended you by questioning your "knowledge on Varus", you clearly know a lot more about playing him than me, I just think the adc on an eu season 3 qualifier team probably knows what he's doing.

I'm just saying he played that lane terribly when he could of won it easily with the red buff he had at level 2.

Leveling Q against MF and Lulu was an instant loss and that did happen.

Snowman

I'm just saying he played that lane terribly when he could of won it easily with the red buff he had at level 2.

Leveling Q against MF and Lulu was an instant loss and that did happen.

I edited my post because I realised I sounded a little sarcastic when that wasn't my intention at all, you're probably right, I just think in these high level games there's a decent chance that he knew everything you do, but he's banking on something you don't know about and that it just didn't work out this time around. Maybe I have too much respect for these people that get to these tournaments though, I'm sure they do make mistakes sometimes.

Ken

I edited my post because I realised I sounded a little sarcastic when that wasn't my intention at all, you're probably right, I just think in these high level games there's a decent chance that he knew everything you do, but he's banking on something you don't know about and that it just didn't work out this time around. Maybe I have too much respect for these people that get to these tournaments though, I'm sure they do make mistakes sometimes.

A 100% damage skillshot vs AoE damage/slow. There's not much mystery here.

Ferga

Well i've played with scy's Zyra support a lot with my Varus before.

I can't see how Q can possibly work in that lane. You could have a 45% slow on top of Zyra's plants, root and knock up from ult for even more damage from auto attacks and plants.

Unless you have 100000% synergy with your support and you completely trust in zyra's roots then you can charge a varus Q in the bush and unleash it when zyra roots.

BUT even when that happens, you are completely poking and you don't get any of your W stacks on them to burst. And since lulu is there, she can shield a tonne of that damage. You'll need to do that 4 times perfectly to completely poke mf-lulu down.

So in the end 3 autos and having a leveled up E bursting those stacks still does more damage. At level 6 if zyra hits a root, there is no way mf or lulu (whoever got caught) will survive. It's more than enough damage to kill someone with zyra-varus.

Ken

ziggs jungle because he forgot to swap with the jungler

kayle cries for top and loses badly

ez moans whole game about having support runes and gives up like 10 mins in

dimb

ziggs jungle because he forgot to swap with the jungler

kayle cries for top and loses badly

ez moans whole game about having support runes and gives up like 10 mins in
so you're saying you won...

Hi All. Im still having this annoying issue where my LoL client crashes at the end of every game. Is there a known fix for this or is a reinstall needed?

Cathcart

Steel Legion Garen looks pretty cool. I played a lot of Garen in Dominion in 2011 and liked him a lot in that mode but I kinda stopped Dominioning and I never get to play top in SR so no Garens for me.

Snowman

As much as all the theory works out, there has to be a reason why he chose to do it right? He clearly thought it was a good idea and has probably practiced and tried it before and its worked well, just because it didn't work out this well one time doesn't mean it was a bad idea, maybe they just executed it badly this time and in practice they did have the 1000000% synergy to make it work or maybe millennium just dealt with it really well? I dont think you guys give them enough credit really.

scy

Void Staff only needs around 60 MR to be good. Bulwark Aura + Scaling MR + Scaling MR Runes will be around 100 MR.

@Varus - You max E first for Varus. Q doesn't gain as much per rank (+33 [+60 at full charge], decays per target hit). It also costs you mobility to utilize. E's Range is also fairly high (925) so it pokes extremely well.

Q does more damage if you always land the shot at max charge on the target you want first. E is more consistent and harasses better in lane due to the slow. You can argue all you want about it but the best route is Rank 1 Q + maxed E for laning phase. E gives the greatest harassment potential. Q is mostly dependent on your stats for damage (1.0 total AD scaling, up to 1.6 total AD at max charge) and not the base value of it.

And the reason for maxing Q first is because it's his long range poke. It's just not how you play Varus; it's too immobile and easy to dodge compared to his E. Being in the qualifiers doesn't make them godlike players. There's still misconceptions and bad plays. This is one of them. It won't be the last from the tournament.

Snowman

Void Staff only needs around 60 MR to be good. Bulwark Aura + Scaling MR + Scaling MR Runes will be around 100 MR.

@Varus - You max E first for Varus. Q doesn't gain as much per rank (+33 [+60 at full charge], decays per target hit). It also costs you mobility to utilize. E's Range is also fairly high (925) so it pokes extremely well.

Q does more damage if you always land the shot at max charge on the target you want first. E is more consistent and harasses better in lane due to the slow. You can argue all you want about it but the best route is Rank 1 Q + maxed E for laning phase. E gives the greatest harassment potential. Q is mostly dependent on your stats for damage (1.0 total AD scaling, up to 1.6 total AD at max charge) and not the base value of it.

And the reason for maxing Q first is because it's his long range poke. It's just not how you play Varus; it's too immobile and easy to dodge compared to his E. Being in the qualifiers doesn't make them godlike players. There's still misconceptions and bad plays. This is one of them. It won't be the last from the tournament.

So you don't think he tried it out before and it worked well? He just thought he'd pull it out on the day at the tournament and see what happened?

scy

So you don't think he tried it out before and it worked well? He just thought he'd pull it out on the day at the tournament and see what happened?

I don't doubt that he did practice it.

We're just saying he'd have been more effective if he had done E first rather than Q; Q is the first instinct skill to max (best range, best scaling, it's his Q) but it's not the min/max route of best way to play the character and maximize what you're doing in lane. This is especially true when you're taking a small hit-box linear skillshot against a high mobility lane of MF + Lulu that also preys on slowed targets.

It's the same situation as with Riven where everyone did W first until they realized Q first did more damage in trades and let her do what she did best: Absolutely bully a lane and create all-in opportunities. Or the period of time where everyone maxed Ezreal's Q first instead of his W when it was broken tier levels of good.

And this isn't "some guy(s) on GAF think E is better on Varus," or something of the sort. Maxing E first is the generally assumed way to play him these days. Maxing Q first is going against the grain.

Edit: I haven't seen the game but by the sound of things it was Varus/Zyra vs MF/Lulu. In theory, he went Q first to do the wombo-combo Zyra E's where Varus Q is going to guarantee it lands. This pushes more of your damage to the front-end (the engagement part) and weakens your chase potential a bit (and/or just weakens the back-end burst, depending on how you want to see it).

Snowman

I don't doubt that he did practice it.

We're just saying he'd have been more effective if he had done E first rather than Q; Q is the first instinct skill to max (best range, best scaling, it's his Q) but it's not the min/max route of best way to play the character and maximize what you're doing in lane. This is especially true when you're taking a small hit-box linear skillshot against a high mobility lane of MF + Lulu that also preys on slowed targets.

It's the same situation as with Riven where everyone did W first until they realized Q first did more damage in trades and let her do what she did best: Absolutely bully a lane and create all-in opportunities. Or the period of time where everyone maxed Ezreal's Q first instead of his W when it was broken tier levels of good.

And this isn't "some guy(s) on GAF think E is better on Varus," or something of the sort. Maxing E first is the generally assumed way to play him these days. Maxing Q first is going against the grain.

If this is true then do you not think he'd know? And that he's going against the grain for a reason? Is that really giving him too much credit?

Edit: I don't mean to argue the better build in general for Varus, I already conceded that. I just think he was going for something more specific in this situation and that it's probably unfair to call it a mistake on his part going q instead of e.

scy

If this is true then do you not think he'd know? And that he's going against the grain for a reason? Is that really giving him too much credit?

Wickd went against the grain with a Riven maxed E first, if I recall, in World Championship. It didn't go well. Granted, he A) Lost lane to begin with and B) Isn't known for his Riven but he wasn't operating under some secret pro logic here.

I'm not really sure what your point is, though. I mean, I know that Lyumi most likely practiced Varus before pulling it out here; he most likely practiced it with Q maxed first and most likely practice it with a Zyra support. I'm not discrediting any of that. I'm merely agreeing with Rex that maxing E first would have been the correct choice for that lane composition and match-up.

Like, it only goes so far to say, "He's a (semi)-pro, he probably knows what he's doing." This is giving them too much credit and skips past analysis.

Let me ask you then: Why would you max Q first as Varus with a Zyra support? Don't just say, "He did it, it must be right."

Edit: Nevermind then! Didn't see your Edit.

Edit: I don't mean to argue the better build in general for Varus, I already conceded that. I just think he was going for something more specific in this situation and that it's probably unfair to call it a mistake on his part going q instead of e.

And we already pointed out why (to land Varus Q with Zyra E). But the same could be said about just having better burst damage in his pursuit/trade combo with the maxed E and landing the full charge Q anyway. Varus Q scales best with AD (since it's 1.0 -> 1.6 total AD scaling, depending on charge) so it gets most of the damage from it from your AD, not really the skill scaling. So even if that was the intent, there's a better total damage option still in a Rank 1 Q + Maxed E. It's not like his Q has a utility to it when maxing it as well.

What were your items?

Missed this post. Rejuv Bead + Ward + Pots start, though not sure if I like that all that much yet. First game vs a Renekton I got fairly ahead so I went more damage heavy with an early Bloodthirster and Frozen Mallet before going after Warmogs and Sunfire Cape (though we lost this game and I'd blame that BT pick-up, honestly). The second game was against a Kha'zix that got fed off a bad jungle gank so I went fairly passive with an early Aegis, Warmogs, and Sunfire Cape before finishing up with Bulwark and Locket.

Realistically, I'd like to go: Rejuv Bead start -> Emblem of Valor, pick-up a Phage, and then get Warmogs, Sunfire Cape, Aegis, Frozen Mallet, Bulwark, Locket. But that's a lot of gold so eh!

Snowman

Wickd went against the grain with a Riven maxed E first, if I recall, in World Championship. It didn't go well. Granted, he A) Lost lane to begin with and B) Isn't known for his Riven but he wasn't operating under some secret pro logic here.

I'm not really sure what your point is, though. I mean, I know that Lyumi most likely practiced Varus before pulling it out here; he most likely practiced it with Q maxed first and most likely practice it with a Zyra support. I'm not discrediting any of that. I'm merely agreeing with Rex that maxing E first would have been the correct choice for that lane composition and match-up.

Like, it only goes so far to say, "He's a (semi)-pro, he probably knows what he's doing." This is giving them too much credit and skips past analysis.

Let me ask you then: Why would you max Q first as Varus with a Zyra support? Don't just say, "He did it, it must be right."

Because they're (semi) pro players and they have better execution than your average player and much better teamwork in lane so are much more likely to be able to hit that varus/zyra combo poke? I think it's really dismissive to just say "urgh he didn't do what I think is best and it didn't work this time so he fucked up and he should do it the other way next time" It's not just about the strategy side, there's the execution too, and just because it doesn't work out doesn't mean that the strategy isn't sound. Maybe they were hoping to throw the mf/lulu off by going for q when they would've expected e?

I'm not saying you should just take whatever they're doing as the correct way without a second thought, I'm saying thinking you know better than this semi pro is arrogant and probably wrong.

Also all this talk about Varus has made me want to try him out again, it's been a while. This time I think I'm gonna max e first though ;)

Agkel

Is this the game of the forever? I've played 112 matches in 6 weeks and have used only annie jax fiddle garen and draven with oh so many others I want to try...

Although seeing some of your serious talk and seeing replays of pro people, scare me a bit that I wont be able to do well when I hit 30 and everything goes poo poo.

Snowman

Is this the game of the forever? I've played 112 matches in 6 weeks and have used only annie jax fiddle garen and draven with oh so many others I want to try...

Although seeing some of your serious talk and seeing replays of pro people, scare me a bit that I wont be able to do well when I hit 30 and everything goes poo poo.

You'll still be playing with people around your skill level for the most part, so it shouldn't be a problem! :)

garath

Just because people are level 30, doesn't mean they are good :)

Really by the time you get to level 30 you'll have a pretty decent idea of the ins and outs of the game. From there you'll learn more champions and what they do. Not just how YOU would play them but how you would play against them. It's one of the more valuable things you learn over time. I.e. knowing that Kayle has an invulnerability ult and what the general cooldown is will save you a lot of headache trying to tower dive her.

It sure does seem like the game of forever though. I have about 550 matches played over the last year and I'm still learning every single time I play. That's what makes it so much fun. Always room to get better.

njean777

You get experience even if you lose so don't worry to much about it. I hit level 30 at the start of this week and have played every day and still run into horrible team mates and horrible opponents. Just because they are level 30 does not mean they are good at the game.

scy

Because they're (semi) pro players and they have better execution than your average player and much better teamwork in lane so are much more likely to be able to hit that varus/zyra combo poke?

Which is part of it. But it's still that Rank 1 Q + Maxed E ultimately does more together than Maxed Q + Rank 1 E. Essentially, maxing Q first puts all their damage on the Varus Q + Zyra E combo with a weaker follow-up; maxing E lets you still do the combo with a better follow-up.

I think it's really dismissive to just say "urgh he didn't do what I think is best and it didn't work this time so he fucked up and he should do it the other way next time" It's not just about the strategy side, there's the execution too, and just because it doesn't work out doesn't mean that the strategy isn't sound.

And I'm not saying that. I agree that it's closed-minded to think that way (because, again, Riven Q vs W max first, old Ezreal Q vs W max first) as it stifles builds. However, it's also not quite right to give them that much credit. Hence why it's "There must be a reason he did it, lets look at it" is my train of thought. I'm merely saying that the reason for it doesn't yield enough to warrant it.

Maybe they were hoping to throw the mf/lulu off by going for q when they would've expected e?

That works once. If you get hit by either a Q or E at Level 4/5, you'll know which they're maxing and can plan appropriately from there.

I'm not saying you should just take whatever they're doing as the correct way without a second thought, I'm saying thinking you know better than this semi pro is arrogant and probably wrong.

For what it's worth, Lyumi isn't an ADC main. Does that change anything now? He favors AP Mid, if I recall, but Citizen Wayne is on Acer.

Everybody here sucks, don't worry about it~

Seriously though, you'll still deal with the hidden Elo for match making when you hit 30. So you'll have some adjusting to do when you hit 30 due to there being more people. Just always work on learning something, really.

Snowman

That works once. If you get hit by either a Q or E at Level 4/5, you'll know which they're maxing and can plan appropriately from there.

For what it's worth, Lyumi isn't an ADC main. Does that change anything now? He favors AP Mid, if I recall, but Citizen Wayne is on Acer.

But would they be as used to playing against a varus maxing q as Lyumi is at playing it?

I don't think that changes anything, surely Lyumi can and has done the maths the same as you, and has chosen to go q anyway? I'm not sure what the reason could actually be, and it's hard to know without asking him, but it seems more likely to me that he knows the above and chose to go q anyway than him not knowing at all despite playing the champion at a semi pro level.

Agkel

Well that's a relief, thx guys. Like you said, I love how one is constantly learning new things every match, even if its a horrible one. And to me, it never gets tiring.

For example I was a little burn on fiddle, I tried Garen and then learned some Draven, only to come back this morning to fiddle and have a fricking blast again with him :D

scy

But would they be as used to playing against a varus maxing q as Lyumi is at playing it?

It boils down to "don't get hit by a skillshot." Which they're already doing for the Zyra E in the first place. Like I said, it's putting more eggs in the same basket, as it were, since more and more of their damage is put here.

I don't think that changes anything, surely Lyumi can and has done the maths the same as you, and has chosen to go q anyway? I'm not sure what the reason could actually be, and it's hard to know without asking him, but it seems more likely to me that he knows the above and chose to go q anyway than him not knowing at all despite playing the champion at a semi pro level.

It seems just as likely to me that he knows all of the above*, chose to go Q and it didn't pay off. Which is the point being made here. That the decision was made while knowing all the facts and it ended up being the incorrect one. Nobody is arguing that he just chose it at random or doesn't know what he's doing.

*A shocking amount of top-level players don't theorycraft or run the numbers at all. Granted, I can't say if this is the case for them.

Well that's a relief, thx guys. Like you said, I love how one is constantly learning new things every match, even if its a horrible one. And to me, it never gets tiring.

There is one other detail: If you learn something, be sure to actually apply it. Learning that you leave yourself open to ganks but then never warding or not learning gank timings/approaches isn't really all that useful :x

Yeah is a really varied game. Really liking it. Started using Annie now and then as well and she is a really nice change from Janna. Might try a carry at somepoint but want to practise a bit more with these 2 champs first.

Snowman

It boils down to "don't get hit by a skillshot." Which they're already doing for the Zyra E in the first place. Like I said, it's putting more eggs in the same basket, as it were, since more and more of their damage is put here.

It seems just as likely to me that he knows all of the above*, chose to go Q and it didn't pay off. Which is the point being made here. That the decision was made while knowing all the facts and it ended up being the incorrect one. Nobody is arguing that he just chose it at random or doesn't know what he's doing.

*A shocking amount of top-level players don't theorycraft or run the numbers at all. Granted, I can't say if this is the case for them.

I think it's unfair to say that it ended up being incorrect, there's so many other factors at play in one particular game that just because they lost/lost the lane, doesn't necessarily mean that choice was wrong?

At least I've learnt something from this anyway, hopefully my varus will be better because of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom