• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah I want to be able to choose from several supports in the later game rather than just learn the one.

The thing I like about Janna is the utility she has for the team fights. Can disable the enemy team / stop a gank or failing team fight and her shield is great for the extra AD for a carry.

However I like a bit of veriety so being able to try different ones out will give me this. Il look into sona and lulu then.
Basically both Sona and Lulu are both more offensive than Janna because they have a lot of poke, and they both have teamfight changing ults. You're expected to go about harassing the enemy laners while farming, then being able to initiate or turn a fight around by using your ult (both cases give pretty good AoE CC) or any combination of other slows and disables.

Leona, Blitz and Thresh are also the more tanky suppots that have skillshot hooks and bring a lot of CC, tankyness and initiation to the team, if you want more variety. Taric doesn't have a hook but also serves a similar purpose.

Then there's the more "experimental" supports like Lux, Zyra, Nidalee, which are just excuses for people to play the champs they would've used on top/mid. I really like supporting as Lux, though, since she's fun everywhere you put her.

Basically both Sona and Lulu are both more offensive than Janna because they have a lot of poke, and they both have teamfight changing ults. You're expected to go about harassing the enemy laners while farming, then being able to initiate or turn a fight around by using your ult (both cases give pretty good AoE CC) or any combination of other slows and disables.

Leona, Blitz and Thresh are also the more tanky suppots that have skillshot hooks and bring a lot of CC, tankyness and initiation to the team, if you want more variety. Taric doesn't have a hook but also serves a similar purpose.

Then there's the more "experimental" supports like Lux, Zyra, Nidalee, which are just excuses for people to play the champs they would've used on top/mid. I really like supporting as Lux, though, since she's fun everywhere you put her.

Yeah I had fun playing lux in mid. She has great range on her skill to haras and then execute people with the q > R combo.

If you support as people like thresh do you still not farm gold and just poke and ward like I would with Janna?

Ferga

Guys, guys. I found the secret to winning ranked.

Don't have any expectations and play normally and selfishly.

Selfishly as in taking all the farm until you get full build.

And ignoring anyone who says anything bad about the team. Press Tab then IGNORE.

Easy.

If you're supporting, GO HAM.

Doing my placement matches again. People overrating Kat. "gg they got kat"

Enemy picks Darius

Teammate picks Garen. "guys i'll go support I'm weak against Darius".

Oh shit? My turn, counterpicking Kat with Ryze. Other teammate picks... Lux and calls me dumb.

I got forced to quickly pick jungle Lee.

Two teammates counterpicked themselves.

gg let's see what happens

---

this game, lol
YTudQ1z.jpg

Nether

Neo Member
So I'm wading into ranked for the first time in my time with LoL, was steadily climbing into the 1300s when I just hit an incredibly terrible streak today. Lost nearly 100 elo in a day. Played poorly one game (Olaf counterjungled me hard as Cho), but mostly it was just terrible teammates feeding the living snot out of their lanes.

I know it's all been said before, but it's so incredibly deflating.

Snowman

So I'm wading into ranked for the first time in my time with LoL, was steadily climbing into the 1300s when I just hit an incredibly terrible streak today. Lost nearly 100 elo in a day. Played poorly one game (Olaf counterjungled me hard as Cho), but mostly it was just terrible teammates feeding the living snot out of their lanes.

Just aim to improve, rather than increase your elo, it'll still suck when you hit a losing streak, but not as much hopefully, because you know you're always getting better even if your elo is going down.

garath

You're pretty much point on, except Zyra is a solid support. She's not gimmicky. She has CC, abilities that give vision, tons of poke and an AE knockup ult.

Zyra, Sona and Leona are my go to supports. Though I'll pull a gimmick out of my hat soon and try a Morgana support lol.

Blizzard

Banned
Thresh seems to be OP as hell, so you can get your two week's fun with him before he gets nerfed.
If this is really the case, a good business strategy for Riot could be to keep increasing the front-loaded IP (7800, or maybe 10000) for new champions, make sure the champions are very powerful on release, and only reduce it back to 6300 once the initial nerf happens.

It might lead people to spending more RP on the new champions while they are in the powerful phase if they don't have enough time to save up IP.

garath

If this is really the case, a good business strategy for Riot could be to keep increasing the front-loaded IP (7800, or maybe 10000) for new champions, make sure the champions are very powerful on release, and only reduce it back to 6300 once the initial nerf happens.

It might lead people to spending more RP on the new champions while they are in the powerful phase if they don't have enough time to save up IP.

They would lose a lot of faith if they did that consistently. I don't think that's their goal.

That said, I'll buy Thresh with IP when I have 6300 next week if the next ADC they are releasing isn't appealing to me. I really only enjoy playing MF adc so it'd be nice to have a second go to adc now that MF is so popular.

Is there anyway I can make a custom list of items to buy for a character?

For example as I play Janna more Im wanted to switch out some of the recommended ones to 1 or 2 other ones so I can have a good mix of both utility and attack power.

Do I just have to learn where they are in the big list (or find an item they are made from in the recommended list and select it from the top right) or can I make a custom list to make it easier? Im guessing no as I havn't seen anywhere there could be this option.

garath

For example as I play Janna more Im wanted to switch out some of the recommended ones to 1 or 2 other ones so I can have a good mix of both utility and attack power.

Do I just have to learn where they are in the big list (or find an item they are made from in the recommended list and select it from the top right) or can I make a custom list to make it easier? Im guessing no as I havn't seen anywhere there could be this option.

Yes sir.

http://enigmablade.net/lol-item-changer/

Edit: you've actually reminded me that I wanted to go through and redo my recommended items for S3. It was very helpful S2 but I haven't touched it this season yet.

Download Enigma.

Inskipp

Most of the recommended items are better this season imo, so I've yet to change any through Enigma. Altho some of the consumables are lacking, but then I just switch tabs and search the item I need.

scy

Also I think I had the worst day ever playing LoL. Played mid all day, won my lane every single match but one, and that's the only won I won.

Honestly, if I win my lane and then we lose the game, I hate myself more than my team. It means I wasn't good enough to do my job and carry. Someone has to carry every game (and likewise, someone will get carried). Winning your lane merely sets you up to carry the game; it's not like "I won my lane, did my job."

Not saying that's the case here, just the post where it made the most sense. Though, that said, if you won your lane in all but one game but only won the game where you got carried, you may want to look into improving your ability to actually carry a game. Be it better picks or more objective control.

And, yes, I realize "YOLO QUEUE NEVER LISTEN" and all but like ... you kind of have to work with that, y'know?

This is halfmostly directed at me so I stop being a little bitch about my ranked games again

What do you mean by the range? I find her range pretty short for her spells? I tend to use her as a build up a stun then nuke the kaka out of someone.

Just to note, get to 3/4 stacks for Annie's stun. This way you can "disguise" that your stun is primed and you can land it off a sudden E+Q, W+Q, Q+R, etc. sort of things.

Thresh seems to be OP as hell, so you can get your two week's fun with him before he gets nerfed.

He's so much fun. I'll be sad when he gets nerfed. He's got a lot of base Health and Armor, though his lack of innate Armor/lvl really hurts in a lane that loses. Then again, with how Thresh plays, a lane that loses means you're kind of screwed anyway.

Still, landing a Q to pull someone into turret, Flaying them closer, and then dropping his ult is so satisfying. Deters people from coming to help (running through his ult to engage under tower) and essentially traps the person grabbed. Flash + Q is a good surprise initiate as well.

Plus, Thresh's playstyle just teaches good support lane mechanics. Seeing supports that sit in a bush and never harass make me sad. Thresh can't play that way.

Zyra is basically a support first, mid lane second.

I realize you're still leveling to 30 but I wouldn't really get into the habit of getting AP when you're playing Support; you'll eventually basically just be buying the support-oriented items and Wards.

...then again, might as well be having fun with it pre-30 where it literally doesn't matter what you build most of the time.

Yes sir.

Edit: you've actually reminded me that I wanted to go through and redo my recommended items for S3. It was very helpful S2 but I haven't touched it this season yet.

Download Enigma.

Most of the recommended items are better this season imo, so I've yet to change any through Enigma. Altho some of the consumables are lacking, but then I just switch tabs and search the item I need.

Oh wow thats great guys thanks.

Nether

Neo Member
Only thing I don't like about Thresh is how hard it can be to click the lantern when there's a champion on top of it, particularly a bulky one like cho or blitz. A couple of times now I've had some seemingly derpy moments because I've played really aggressive factoring in the lantern and been unable to click it. Just kept autoing the enemy champ.

scy

Best part of the Lantern, in my opinion, is that you can bodyblock clicking on it. It needs _some_ kind of counterplay opportunity.

mercviper

I usually stop at 3 losses and then pick it up again the next day. Helps to clear the mind and all that jazz.

Honestly, if I win my lane and then we lose the game, I hate myself more than my team. It means I wasn't good enough to do my job and carry. Someone has to carry every game (and likewise, someone will get carried). Winning your lane merely sets you up to carry the game; it's not like "I won my lane, did my job."

Not saying that's the case here, just the post where it made the most sense. Though, that said, if you won your lane in all but one game but only won the game where you got carried, you may want to look into improving your ability to actually carry a game. Be it better picks or more objective control.

And, yes, I realize "YOLO QUEUE NEVER LISTEN" and all but like ... you kind of have to work with that, y'know?

This is halfmostly directed at me so I stop being a little bitch about my ranked games again

You should probably get that rating up a bit before the new system so you start in a higher division. Less work and all that. :p

Just to note, get to 3/4 stacks for Annie's stun. This way you can "disguise" that your stun is primed and you can land it off a sudden E+Q, W+Q, Q+R, etc. sort of things.

Don't forget to Q first at 3 stacks, and then E to push it to 4 when the spell is mid-flight if they didn't blow an escape. This is how I catch Morgana off guard with her spell shield. Max Q first, and then hit E if she doesn't shield, else W after the Q lands if she does (since a maxed Q should eat the whole shield unless you're really really behind).

He's so much fun. I'll be sad when he gets nerfed. He's got a lot of base Health and Armor, though his lack of innate Armor/lvl really hurts in a lane that loses. Then again, with how Thresh plays, a lane that loses means you're kind of screwed anyway.

Still, landing a Q to pull someone into turret, Flaying them closer, and then dropping his ult is so satisfying. Deters people from coming to help (running through his ult to engage under tower) and essentially traps the person grabbed. Flash + Q is a good surprise initiate as well.

Plus, Thresh's playstyle just teaches good support lane mechanics. Seeing supports that sit in a bush and never harass make me sad. Thresh can't play that way.

wtb Thresh. I still don't have enough experience with his lantern. I think I've been able to grab it 3 times so far, and only actually grabbed it once.

scy

You should probably get that rating up a bit before the new system so you start in a higher division. Less work and all that. :p

But if I wait, I'll be with Plat/Diamond matchmaking in a lower division so it should rise to Diamond faster! ;_______;

Don't forget to Q first at 3 stacks, and then E to push it to 4 when the spell is mid-flight if they didn't blow an escape. This is how I catch Morgana off guard with her spell shield. Max Q first, and then hit E if she doesn't shield, else W after the Q lands if she does (since a maxed Q should eat the whole shield unless you're really really behind).

Yeah, I had a bit in there on mid-flight Q + W/E but then I had a moment of doubt if it worked like that or not. Figured I'd just hope you were around to get it :x

wtb Thresh. I still don't have enough experience with his lantern. I think I've been able to grab it 3 times so far, and only actually grabbed it once.

I stopped expecting it to be grabbed outside of some talked out things. I haven't tried to setup many "doing this, grab my lantern ONWARDS WE GO" type of plays in lane since it flounders massively if the lantern doesn't get used.

Put another way, Thresh is good enough that even if my Lantern is just a shield dispensing bot, I can still make plays with him.

Core Zero

I realize you're still leveling to 30 but I wouldn't really get into the habit of getting AP when you're playing Support; you'll eventually basically just be buying the support-oriented items and Wards.

As someone who is still leveling and plays Janna/Lulu support, it seems to me that building Kage's is still a very good idea. More GP5 and builds into two good support items.

That said, I agree in general. Focus on support items/warding. Late game, if I'm still drowning in money, I'll grab WotA for the AP and the team benefit. There's probably a better option here though.

I like playing support specifically because I don't feel the need to farm gold. I hate playing farm reliant champs in solo queue because I just assume everyone else is going to be a greedy asshole, or push the lane to all hell. I try to stick to solo lanes or support roles. Trying to pick up jungling too, but I'm in that weird area where some teams have junglers and some don't, and I don't want to leave someone 1v2. Tricky role to learn too.

Blizzard

Banned
Only thing I don't like about Thresh is how hard it can be to click the lantern when there's a champion on top of it, particularly a bulky one like cho or blitz. A couple of times now I've had some seemingly derpy moments because I've played really aggressive factoring in the lantern and been unable to click it. Just kept autoing the enemy champ.
That's by design, isn't it? I thought one of the tips the Thresh page ingame says for playing against Thresh is to stand on the lantern, which blocks it from being used.

scy

As someone who is still leveling and plays Janna/Lulu support, it seems to me that building Kage's is still a very good idea. More GP5 and builds into two good support items.

Kage's is a support oriented item; I was assuming AP to mean ... well, AP items. Deathcap, Rylai's, Athene's, etc. sort of things. Items where you're more buying into raw stats.

EXGN

So Sion/Veigar/Nasus gains double bonus if they last hit champs/large minions/monsters. Not sure if it'll be enough. I think killing champions should net a more significant boost, which should give more incentive to join fights.

Incoming jungle Sion/Nasus?

Core Zero

Kage's is a support oriented item; I was assuming AP to mean ... well, AP items. Deathcap, Rylai's, Athene's, etc. sort of things. Items where you're more buying into raw stats.

Yeah. This was partly just to get someone who knows their stuff a bit more to reassure me. Elsewhere, I saw someone arguing that Kage's is a bad item for supports and shouldn't get it. Seemed very, well, wrong to me.

mercviper

Yeah. This was partly just to get someone who knows their stuff a bit more to reassure me. Elsewhere, I saw someone arguing that Kage's is a bad item for supports and shouldn't get it. Seemed very, well, wrong to me.

Well, of the 3 money items, (philo, sightstone, kage's) I find it's the one that's least useful on support, probably due to how lackluster I feel Shard of True Ice is. Twin Ghosts is nice too but I find I want to build something tanky before then like Aegis.

scy

To be fair, they're in a weird spot now where the GP10 items don't feel particularly amazing compared to other items. But, I also say that with my recent support games being the more tanky kinds where immediately building into Emblem of Valor into Locket works out better than getting some regen from Philo or AP from Kage's into Locket or whatever.

Well, of the 3 money items, (philo, sightstone, kage's) I find it's the one that's least useful on support, probably due to how lackluster I feel Shard of True Ice is. Twin Ghosts is nice too but I find I want to build something tanky before then like Aegis.

Shard of True Ice certainly does need something else to it (like, I dunno, 10 or 15 Armor/MR on the active?). That said, it should be nice for a Thresh engage.

...not that I'd particularly want to build one on him, honestly.

Agkel

I usually stop at 3 losses and then pick it up again the next day. Helps to clear the mind and all that jazz.

After been 21 wins out of 25 matches with Fid(between my main and smurf), I just lost 3 straight matches. I cant explain it but I just played horrible in them, my team mates did too. It is just normal but still... I'll take a break for a day or two.

garath

Thresh.

Do it.

You know you want to.

Nooooooooo

I already own Morg!

After seeing my $190 total spent so far, I'm trying to avoid buying full price champs with RP lol. I have just enough IP for either Thresh or the new ADC. Will wait and see.

Thresh looks like so much fun though.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah I had fun playing lux in mid. She has great range on her skill to haras and then execute people with the q > R combo.

If you support as people like thresh do you still not farm gold and just poke and ward like I would with Janna?
Q->AA->E->R->detonate E->AA->ignite->/laugh is the full combo

My favorite thing ever is to get blue buff and just spam E until they're low, then finish them with a quick ult. There's not even fighting back, just smiles!

edit: whoops, had the combo wrong Q->AA->E->R->detonate E->AA->ignite->/laugh. There we go.

Guys, guys. I found the secret to winning ranked.

Don't have any expectations and play normally and selfishly.

Selfishly as in taking all the farm until you get full build.

And ignoring anyone who says anything bad about the team. Press Tab then IGNORE.

Easy.

If you're supporting, GO HAM.
My secret to playing (not winning) ranked is starting the match with the thought that this is a gamble in which you pay up front, so you already lost your elo. For some reason that really works for me and I'm a lot more straight-headed.

Also I never say a negative word during the match. After it's over and we won, they I call everyone for the idiots they are.

You're pretty much point on, except Zyra is a solid support. She's not gimmicky. She has CC, abilities that give vision, tons of poke and an AE knockup ult.

Zyra, Sona and Leona are my go to supports. Though I'll pull a gimmick out of my hat soon and try a Morgana support lol.
Yeah, Zyra's moved up the ranks to a full fledged support, partly thanks to her losing her place in mid lane, but still comes from the same place as Lux and Morgana of people wanting to play mid so w/e :p

Yeah, I wouldn't venture to say they did it on purpose but with these stupidly good new champions it kinda feels like it.

Yes sir.

Install this, it's greattttttttt.

Yeah, I know. I was on a premade, so it's not like I can complain about someone else, it was just one of those days where as a team you make too many mistakes like not taking objectives after team fights.

I also have no idea how to carry as Morgana, I got to like 17-5-16 and still couldn't just be a rampaging roaming monster like with Lux.

I like Thresh, but he seems sooo broken.

I mean he's shield is almost as good as Janna's (unless you're building her AP) and it's "AoE" and a free double range flash for a player at the same time and for all I've tried there's no way of deterring him from getting those souls (I should try setting up Cait traps on the little bastards). The hook has a crazy 1k range, etc.

I haven't played enough matches to actually make a decision but he just has that "feel".

Zyra is basically a support first, mid lane second.
Yup, I just called her "experimental" because she was meant to be mid and ended up branching out to support.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Welcome to the league of bruisers. Was a featured game that caught my eye due to VOLIBEAR SUP. Turns out it was a 2.3k elo range game with full bruiserassassins just shitting on a normal team comp.

Bad comp or bad items is gonna hurt when facing a team like that. I doubt that ez was doing any real damage he has no penetration or certain items that favor melting a team down like that quicker than a bt, shiv setup would.

scy

Q->AA->E->R->detonate E->AA->ignite->/laugh is the full combo

most important part is laugh

Yeah, I know. I was on a premade, so it's not like I can complain about someone else, it was just one of those days where as a team you make too many mistakes like not taking objectives after team fights.

4 for 1'd their team, better recall.

;_;

I also have no idea how to carry as Morgana, I got to like 17-5-16 and still couldn't just be a rampaging roaming monster like with Lux.

Generally speaking, end laning phase by taking your advantage to another lane. That said, I don't play Morgana much either so all I can really say is that generic line :x

I like Thresh, but he seems sooo broken.

I mean he's shield is almost as good as Janna's (unless you're building her AP) and it's "AoE" and a free double range flash for a player at the same time...

I'm kind of surprised the shield doesn't have some sort of decay to it. Like, the first person shielded is X and every shield after is -15% or something down to 50% (e.g., 100%, 85%, 70%, 55%, 50%)

...and for all I've tried there's no way of deterring him from getting those souls (I should try setting up Cait traps on the little bastards).

Punish him to the point that he's scared to grab them, basically. He offers no sustain (outside of Rejuv Bead start) so just put damage on him until he either stops trying to get the souls or starts to use his W for souls.

That said, I've been leveling Q first as support Thresh so I can just counter poke back damage I take. At low levels, I'll win that trade and the early Rejuv Bead helps a lot.

The hook has a crazy 1k range, etc.

The hook has something like a 7 minute long wind-up (though, you can sort of hide it with an auto-attack cancel) so you can dodge it if you pay attention. But, the easiest way around it may just be to play an ADC+Support that doesn't mind getting hooked in. Nunu's Absolute Zero at point-blank is nice, especially if the Thresh Q's in and E's so you can get the guaranteed nearly full-channel. Taric and Leona do well in general vs Thresh, though Thresh doing magic damage off his Q Passive kind of bypasses Taric's main advantage.

I haven't played enough matches to actually make a decision but he just has that "feel".

My gut instinct is to say he's "overpowered" in the way Blitzcrank, Shen, etc. all are: They change the dynamic of the game and involve more effort to counterplay than to utilize.

zkylon

zkylewd
where are you guys seeing the new champ rotation?
reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/

most important part is laugh
If you don't laugh ignite doesn't come through

My gut instinct is to say he's "overpowered" in the way Blitzcrank, Shen, etc. all are: They change the dynamic of the game and involve more effort to counterplay than to utilize.
This is a very smart assessment and leads to my particular problem with Thresh that, unlike with the other two, he just can't be counterplayed, because his lantern cannot be killed.

As I see it the options are:
* Nerf the lantern by weakening the shield, lowering the range, etc., ruining Thresh and making him a poor man's Blitzcrank
* Make the lantern killable, so a good ranged support can just keep breaking it to prevent ganks and dives and other crazy plays. Make it that it takes like 2 ranged hits and one melee, or something.

I've yet to play Thresh but as someone who plays support exclusive in Ranked, I feel like Lulu gives you the best chance bot lane. Her harass is out of control and if you level up Q first, you can really cause some trouble.

Grinding my way up, blah blah blah.

k wickd is officially an awful Fiora player. Level 9 and no point in W, maxing E first, doesn't go for Hydra first.

He's lucky the Malphite is either shit or has stage fright because if he actually traded with him the Malphite would be stomping him.

My head is in my hands.

scy

W does nothing against a Malphite.

I'd have to see the build but I'd presume he went BotRK if he maxed E first. Or something else on-hit.

Edit: Also, assuming you're not in dire need of the wave clear, Tiamat/Hydra is your second item obtained, not first. Tiamat/Hydra does nothing in lane outside of the wave clear and you should be hitting the early-to-mid game transition with two items. If you're behind, you get the Tiamat first since that helps the most in team fights when they happen and you just hope your ult carries you at that point.

W does nothing against a Malphite.

I'd have to see the build but I'd presume he went BotRK if he maxed E first. Or something else on-hit.

Edit: Also, assuming you're not in dire need of the wave clear, Tiamat/Hydra is your second item obtained, not first. Tiamat/Hydra does nothing in lane outside of the wave clear and you should be hitting the early-to-mid game transition with two items. If you're behind, you get the Tiamat first since that helps the most in team fights when they happen and you just hope your ult carries you at that point.

Went Brutalizer first, then bought BT. He was out of lane phase before he even got the BF sword for his BT. Like, if the enemy team wasn't completely dire they would have stomped him. He was at his tower a lot and last hitting incredibly poorly.

He was trying to trade with the Malphite and couldn't kill him, often leaving him with health low enough that if he had taken at least a point in W he'd have killed him.

scy

Well in that case, Wickd's a dumb.

He does that a lot.

"Who's the scumbag that fed top first blood?" after being AFK at the start of the game when his team gets invaded, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom