• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
i'm closing in on 40k IP and thinking about buying a new champ. is jayce viable? seems like the only champ i'm interested in. waiting for that new adc tho.
Yes. Jayce is very good right now. Safe pick.
prRK3Xq.png

Feature

Banned
what the fuck, I thought you couldn't demote in ranked? I got placed in bronze 2 but got demoted to bronze 3 (after every fucking game had an AFK from minute 1...).

Now I finally managed to win a ranked game but ofcourse I'm too scared to play in this pathetic elo level because I know that there's a 85% chance of afker/feeder.

what the fuck, I thought you couldn't demote in ranked? I got placed in bronze 2 but got demoted to bronze 3 (after every fucking game had an AFK from minute 1...).

Now I finally managed to win a ranked game but ofcourse I'm too scared to play in this pathetic elo level because I know that there's a 85% chance of afker/feeder.

Your division can be demoted (1,2,3,4,5), but your tier can't (bronze, silver, etc).

Boken

Banned

I've said this before, I'll say it again.

The enemy team has a higher chance of afk/feeders.

You need to man the fuck up and get yourself out of bronze if you dont think you belong in it

Feature

Banned
I've said this before, I'll say it again.

The enemy team has a higher chance of afk/feeders.

You need to man the fuck up and get yourself out of bronze if you dont think you belong in it

Complete utter bullshit but whatever. Yes I'll man the fuck up with 4 games in a row having one guy on my team going AFK after minions had spawned... This in a total of 7 games played where I won the other 3. Has nothing to do with 'man the fuck up'. Has to do with complete cunts ruining the game.

Snowman

Complete utter bullshit but whatever. Yes I'll man the fuck up with 4 games in a row having one guy on my team going AFK after minions had spawned... This in a total of 7 games played where I won the other 3. Has nothing to do with 'man the fuck up'. Has to do with complete cunts ruining the game.

Man the fuck up. If you really don't belong in bronze, if you play enough games you'll get out. He's right, there's 4 randoms on your team and 5 on theirs, that means a higher chance of someone on their team going afk (providing you never do).

So yeah, just man the fuck up, and play more games and you'll get out of bronze if you don't belong there.

Feature

Banned
Man the fuck up. If you really don't belong in bronze, if you play enough games you'll get out. He's right, there's 4 randoms on your team and 5 on theirs, that means a higher chance of someone on their team going afk (providing you never do).

So yeah, just man the fuck up, and play more games and you'll get out of bronze if you don't belong there.

Suddenly the whole 'other team has more chance of afker' is made invalid. Chances are even as I can go afk at anytime too. Some even out of my control.

Nope, man the fuck up isn't going to stop other assholes from afking minute one. The 'play enough games' is also bullshit. Yes ofcourse if you play a billion games you'll have a winning streak once in a while where there isn't some afker/feeding bastard on your team. Sadly that has nothing to do with skill, just pure luck.

Snowman

Suddenly the whole 'other team has more chance of afker' is made invalid.

So you're saying you do go afk? What?

Ahahahaha. So you're moaning about akfers ruining the game, and how you don't belong in bronze? When you yourself go afk, and only sometimes it's out of your control?

garath

Suddenly the whole 'other team has more chance of afker' is made invalid. Chances are even as I can go afk at anytime too. Some even out of my control.

Nope, man the fuck up isn't going to stop other assholes from afking minute one. The 'play enough games' is also bullshit. Yes ofcourse if you play a billion games you'll have a winning streak once in a while where there isn't some afker/feeding bastard on your team. Sadly that has nothing to do with skill, just pure luck.

I've stated this before but the discussion keeps coming up so I'll mention it again.

ELO is a lot like poker. Yes, it's a team game and not every element is under your control (teammate performance, AFK, disconnects, etc), just like poker has a random element (the draw). In poker, you can still lose a high percentage play simply because the draw comes up in your opponent's favor.

However, in poker as well as LoL, despite the random factor that is in play, you still see the same exact people rise to the top over and over. Why does every smurf a pro make end up in diamond? The simple fact is, over time, with enough games played, you will reach "your" elo. If you truly belong in a higher elo, you will get there in time. Make the smart plays over and over and it will pay off.

Blizzard

Banned
I've stated this before but the discussion keeps coming up so I'll mention it again.

ELO is a lot like poker. Yes, it's a team game and not every element is under your control (teammate performance, AFK, disconnects, etc), just like poker has a random element (the draw). In poker, you can still lose a high percentage play simply because the draw comes up in your opponent's favor.

However, in poker as well as LoL, despite the random factor that is in play, you still see the same exact people rise to the top over and over. Why does every smurf a pro make end up in diamond? The simple fact is, over time, with enough games played, you will reach "your" elo. If you truly belong in a higher elo, you will get there in time. Make the smart plays over and over and it will pay off.
There are also some potentially non-obvious factors, like "don't play on weekends" or "don't play past 10 p.m. EST" sort of thing.

There's a reason why smurfs of pros get to top Elo, and why Elo-raising services actually work. You should view at your Elo in terms of very long progress, not a short-term one. It's kinda like saying a company is done for when its stock prices dropped like a brick for an hour.

garath

There are also some potentially non-obvious factors, like "don't play on weekends" or "don't play past 10 p.m. EST" sort of thing.

I'd file those under the "make smart plays" rule.

You can maximize your chances of winning by making smart plays. I.e. play your best champs/rolls, try not to counter pick yourself, if you find more trolls/afks during certain times then avoid those times, keep a positive attitude, etc.

Going back to the poker comparison, if you go all-in every time you get aces, you're asking to get hosed by the "luck" factor. Just like if you act obnoxious or make stupid champ selections, or play a champ you don't know, you're asking for the "luck" to work against you.

I don't fully agree with this. I think it works at the edges, the very good and the very bad, but in the middle ground it's kind of a mess IMO, in LoL at least. Still seeing how the new system shakes out.

Snowman

Suddenly the whole 'other team has more chance of afker' is made invalid.

No I'm saying there's always a chance I might go afk. Because I drop dead for instance.

The only way the other team doesn't have more chance of an afker is if you have more of a chance of going afk than the average player in bronze.. If this is true then you have no right to moan about afkers ruining the game.

garath

I don't fully agree with this. I think it works at the edges, the very good and the very bad, but in the middle ground it's kind of a mess IMO, in LoL at least. Still seeing how the new system shakes out.

What you're saying is the people that belong in the middle are fluctuating small amounts in the middle. Seems ok to me. The only major difference between the quality of players in the high bronze to low gold is consistency. The better players are just making less mistakes. But that's a tougher mountain to climb because the skill levels are so similar. But over time it will happen (I see a few of our own Gaffers slowly working their way back to the gold or plat level where they belong).

Someone may say "I'm not a bronze player, I'm totally silver level" and could be right. It will be a challenge to climb that small distance though because the skill difference really is that small. But if someone said "I'm totally a platinum player stuck in bronze" they are either woefully wrong or just need to play some more games.

Feature

Banned
The only way the other team doesn't have more chance of an afker is if you have more of a chance of going afk than the average player in bronze.. If this is true then you have no right to moan about afkers ruining the game.

Not true. We have no idea what the chance is of an afker in the other team. We know the chance of me going afk is 1/1000 but that might be the case for the players on the other team too. Whilst the other 4 guys on my team all have 1/10 chance of going afk.

There's no way to know. All I know is I had minute 1 afkers in 4 out of my last 7 games and they were all on my team and I lost the game because of that.

y2dvd

I think this is generally on point. It sucks when you get an afker and what not but it happens on both sides. Eventually, your elo should even out to where you should be. If you truly feel like you belong in a higher elo, partner up with someone who feels the same way and duo queue. You'll face higher opponents who are less likely to ruin the game.

I need about 3 more wins and to qualify for Platinum and another 3/5 wins to get promoted. Before the new ranking system, I was only 1 win away from Platinum. I will DIE if this eludes me this time! I give myself a week. :|

Feature

Banned
I probably don't play enough. I play an average of 2 games a day and it's frustrating as hell to have an afker in one of those games when you only play a couple of games.

erragal

It's random chance and it isn't as high as you make it out to be, the chances are equal for both teems, and the elo range you're at has no bearing on random trolls/dc's/afk's.

Stop getting angry and get analytical. The only thing that matters is that your play is improving each game. Everything else will come from that.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Never play ranked solo que on a weekend.

Yup. This is what I do. I ranked mostly really really late or during the day around lunch time on weekdays.

Not true. We have no idea what the chance is of an afker in the other team. We know the chance of me going afk is 1/1000 but that might be the case for the players on the other team too. Whilst the other 4 guys on my team all have 1/10 chance of going afk.

There's no way to know. All I know is I had minute 1 afkers in 4 out of my last 7 games and they were all on my team and I lost the game because of that.

I think you're making the probability a lot more complicated than it should be.

I think what the others are saying is the following. There are only two real cases here. The person plays the game or goes AFK. It's simple as that. Binary if you will.

Now there are 5 players, including yourself, on your team and 5 on the other. Assuming you won't go AFK, the probability of your team having an AFK is 4/5. The other group is 5/5.

Take it from me who was in your situation not too long ago.

I was place din bronze 3 because of some horrible teams in placement matches. The guys here will tell you how frustrated I was with it and I was as angry as you. But you know what? I manned the fuck up.

I'm on a 6 game unbeaten run in solo queue and carried myself out of bronze 3 to the point where I even skipped bronze 2.

However, I totally sympathise with you. Again, I'm like you. I play a few games a day, but nothing crazy. 2 or 3 and I'm generally done, due to college times and whatnot. There is absolutely an element of luck in what teams you get, and I had all the shit luck you did and more. Eventually though you will get your opportunity like I did. I got a good team, I won a game and that got me going. Remember, when you win games your MMR will go up and you'll get matched with better players, and your chances of winning will go up.

It's what happened to me and I took advantage of it to carry myself up to bronze 1, and I should hopefully get to silver sooner rather than later.

Yeah, you will get matched with terrible people and there is a lot of luck involved, but you have to make your own luck. Keep playing, keep improving yourself, don;t get angry when things go bad in game, just learn from it and move on. You'll be a better player for it.

garath

Free week (terror) champions:
450 IP: Nunu, Master Yi
1350 IP: Teemo, Singed,
3150 IP: Twitch, Kassadin, Gangplank
6300: IP Thresh, Fiora, Xerath

Run teleport on the opposing mid.

Oh yay, thresh free week. Prepare to fight over support in draft. Whee.

dan2026

Yeah, you will get matched with terrible people and there is a lot of luck involved, but you have to make your own luck. Keep playing, keep improving yourself, don;t get angry when things go bad in game, just learn from it and move on. You'll be a better player for it.

I wish I had your optimism. Had four ranked games yesterday, lost every one and got demoted. Had to go through the full cavalcade of tricks (afk guys/trolls/flaming/intentionally feeding)

Its easy to say 'man up!' and 'make your own luck', but it feels at the moment like no matter how good I play, I'm playing with a loaded deck form the start.

It kind of gets to you after a while.

Yup, Vi jungle is still incredible. Such a satisfying champ to play.

Also might play some Fiora this week, pub stomp all the people who can't play her since she's on rotation.

brian!

promo matches; get the ww who doesnt know how to jungle :(
next game: get the same guy, ask him politely what he can actually do, he says support
builds warden's mail first on taric

goodbye promo matches :(

garath

I'm going to start running TP mid for a bit and see if I can make it work. It sucks losing out on ignite but the mobility and gank potential in both top and bot lanes should make up for it.

brian!

i mean i guess i should say that the guy was really bad at making decisions a la flash into 5 to stun someone when we are 3
like the build was indicative of his intelligence in general

erragal

Silver 3 achieved. On the back of 10 straight games of supporting. Making things happen is important even at this elo. My Janna record up to 5-0, putting the streak on the line in my third promotion match paid off big.

One thing that's helped me be more consistent is just having a very concrete gameplan going into the lane and voicing it to my partner. Having any sort of communication creates at least some understanding of what's going on. Also I'm really spending a lot of time analyzing support matchups when I watch streams/tournaments or even spectate other Gaffers games (I'm usually watching bot 90% of the game) so there's a lot of advantage to be gained just from understanding everything that's happening in the lane and your opponents gameplan as well.

I'm finally at the elo that the average ADC is baseline competent as well, so they fall in line pretty simply with whatever I try to do.

Support is also the most fun.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I don't know why but suddenly I'm playing support a lot better. I don't know if it's because I've lost my anti-confidence of support or the fact that I've been watching a lot of games but it makes sense to me. I still freaking suck at jungle though.

y2dvd

Yeah it's weird but I'm also finding myself being most successful with support lately. There's just way too many bad support players out there.

zkylon

zkylewd
Speaking of support, I'm thinking of buying Taric. I don't like men in a woman's job (LOL) but he seems to me like the #1 solo queue support champion.

I should just man up and buy Lulu :3

I probably don't play enough. I play an average of 2 games a day and it's frustrating as hell to have an afker in one of those games when you only play a couple of games.
It is, but it's also true that chances are stacked against your enemies because you're the non-shitty player they might not have. If you're duoing you have even better chances.

Wait why? I suppose because of kids. I'm guessed I'm fucked since I work until late.

Yup, Vi jungle is still incredible. Such a satisfying champ to play.

Also might play some Fiora this week, pub stomp all the people who can't play her since she's on rotation.
What's your build?

Twisted Fate is so broken. How do you defend against that ulti :(
Run TP yourself, let people know when he's 6 and you know, if you can't go help just take down his turret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom