• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT3| Lizards are red, golems are blue. Give a leash or no gank 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Extra stuffs:

It wouldn't even be so bad if she had mana costs or something. But as she is now, she can just nonstop and stay in lane longer than almost any mid.
And this is the kind of thing I was talking about. I wish she had stayed as one of the crappy champions that was pretty much only viable at low elo, since otherwise if anyone has bad games against her, they will be calling for nerfs and saying she's OP now, and the end result might even be worse than the start. :(

Also, she can only stay mid if she has spellvamp, which Scy campaigns for not even using, saying that gunblade isn't worth the money now. Otherwise if you occasionally hit damage on her she shouldn't be able to recover the HP fast enough to keep up.

Also also, bear in mind that she has an ult that can be cancelled by a whole bunch of different abilities.

scy said:
I dunno. Maybe next in-house that Kat isn't banned in I'll go Q first. Then I can just make Kiunch answer this question for me on which is worse to deal with.
Next inhouse, I call dibs on mid, not you or Kiunch! DIBS D:

Blizzard

Banned
That might work on Ezreal mid, but most Ezreal bots start with boots 3 potions or Doran's Blade for the AD.

I should have paid closer attention to what the mid Ezreals were buying, actually.

And no matter what you buy for Ezreal, if he doesn't show up in as many games now it's an improvement since it increases the champion variety, in my opinion.

I disagree that Kat is easy. Her ult requires good timing so that it doesn't get countered, and Shunpo is more than just a targeted jump.

With the CDR nerf to DFG are there any manaless items that give Kat CDR besides Ionian boots? May have to start building that on her instead of Magic Pen boots.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Extra stuffs:

And this is the kind of thing I was talking about. I wish she had stayed as one of the crappy champions that was pretty much only viable at low elo, since otherwise if anyone has bad games against her, they will be calling for nerfs and saying she's OP now, and the end result might even be worse than the start. :(

Also, she can only stay mid if she has spellvamp, which Scy campaigns for not even using, saying that gunblade isn't worth the money now. Otherwise if you occasionally hit damage on her she shouldn't be able to recover the HP fast enough to keep up.

Also also, bear in mind that she has an ult that can be cancelled by a whole bunch of different abilities.

She's not mind shattering OP like Eve was but she's becoming an annoying FoTM mid that's easy to pick up and beats out many other mids, to the point where she's being picked almost every other game I'm in (This was true before free week as well).

Blizzard

Banned
You should also pay close attention to what supports are buying.
One common combination I tend to see is Ezreal and Soraka, since the free Soraka mana regen can help Ezreal spam his abilities.

She's not mind shattering OP like Eve was but she's becoming an annoying FoTM mid that's easy to pick up and beats out many other mids, to the point where she's being picked almost every other game I'm in (This was true before free week as well).
She has apparently moved from 15% of games to 20% of games recently, but at least it's not the 55% Ezreal rate.

It would be nice if Riot would make all the 6300 IP AP mids 3100 or less like Kat, since that also means they're more accessible for people to try.

scy

You'd be surprised how long I can stay in lane with HP Regen/level Yellows and some pots. Hell, I've made it an entire game without using my potions. And that's with me taking the occasional harass in lane. Generally speaking, I take using a potion as "losing" in lane, especially if I have to use it before they do.

Riot: "I don't like this scy player, lets nerf his last champion."

inorite

I can still play Riven, Vlad, Kassadin, and probably a few others I'm not remembering.

It wouldn't even be so bad if she had mana costs or something. But as she is now, she can just nonstop and stay in lane longer than almost any mid.

Any mid can stay in lane forever with a Chalice or blue buff. If you're not forced out of lane, you only ever go back due to needing to buy really.

zkylon

zkylewd
she is easy to begin with, she is the perfect character to play vs skillshot like orianna and ahri.
she is definitely op and need to be fixed.
Yeah lol, playing Ori being free Kat week scares the shit outta me. I found the safest thing to do is play Lux, get an early chalice, outrange her and just keep her lane pushed. If she can't kill you because you're too far and she can't gank because you trash her tower, she can't snowball out of control...

I don't know what I'd nerf her, though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Summons I cannot believe you are willing to defend Kat after complaining about Ez so much. Easily one of the most toxic champions in the game. At least stuff like Ori takes a little skill.
I disagree that Kat is easy. Her ult requires good timing so that it doesn't get countered, and Shunpo is more than just a targeted jump.
Wow, you have to time your abilities. That sounds really hard compared to what other champions have to do. Also, you're right about Shunpo. It also nonsensically gives an absurd defensive stat boost for no reason in case the hyper mobility it offered wasn't enough.

scy

Up her cooldowns, probably.

Orianna has a fairly decent match up vs Kat (i.e., 4-6 against her), though it's basically a match up that revolves entirely around the Orianna's skill level. This applies to a lot of champs in mid with a CC though. For instance, Ahri is an amazing match up for Kat but a single Charm can fuck you over.

Kat has a lot of counter picks in general, though not many are meta popular. The biggest one is probably Diana or Kassadin and both can be outplayed.

With the CDR nerf to DFG are there any manaless items that give Kat CDR besides Ionian boots? May have to start building that on her instead of Magic Pen boots.

She doesn't really need CDR. Not to the point you'd sacrifice Spell Pen for it. Her so-so scalings makes it so you really want to deal as close to true damage as possible.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
So, what makes you guys like LoL over HoN?
I don't know much about either.

I'm gonna start LoL cause a friend plays it. I was in the thread a month ago, got to like level 5 and played WoW for a while.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

League is free while HoN had an upfront cost, so all my friends picked up League and I wanted to play with my friends sooo that was that.

dimb

This line bothers me immensely.
It's right in the name. "Skill" shots. You know even Riot has suggested difficulty ratings for the champions to help newer players ease themselves into the game. Guess who is on the extremely low end of the difficulty spectrum? Katarina. And now let's guess who the only two champions are with maxed out difficulty ratings: it's Cassiopeia and Orianna.

Not to say these numbers are some definitive ranking but is this shocking to anyone? That certain champions are harder to play than others and require a great deal more effort?

I'm gonna start LoL cause a friend plays it. I was in the thread a month ago, got to like level 5 and played WoW for a while.
HoN is pretty much dead and has no community. Really as far as MOBAs go it's League and Dota 2. League cuts out a lot of the stuff I find tedious, but some people like having the options a game like Dota presents.

scy

It's right in the name. "Skill" shots. You know even Riot has suggested difficulty ratings for the champions to help newer players ease themselves into the game. Guess who is on the extremely low end of the difficulty spectrum? Katarina. And now let's guess who the only two champions are with maxed out difficulty ratings: it's Cassiopeia and Orianna.

Not to say these numbers are some definitive ranking but is this shocking to anyone? That certain champions are harder to play than others and require a great deal more effort?

If that's all you meant, I don't necessarily disagree with that. Different skill floors for champs. I was reading what you said as an implication of player skill itself rather than how hard it is to pick up and play a champ. That is, "gg skilless people play Kat" sort of thing.

And I'd like to note it's entirely a rating of how hard it is, to Riot, to pick up and play a champ and not necessarily anything about how hard it is to properly use that champ. Riven, for instance, is marked as a relatively easy to use champ but proper play of her is significantly harder than what her bar would indicate. I'd say the same for Kat. Execution wise, she's fairly easy; point and click. But properly doing things is a different matter entirely. How to punish those extra steps taken or when you can EW with absolutely no fear of reprisal, where to stand when you start an ult to force the most damage, etc. Little things that change a lot. And this is before we even talk about proper team fighting play.

That said, I wouldn't really take the bars to mean much. Morgana has a pretty high difficulty rating and she's pretty much the ideal starter for AP Mid. Similarly, Karthus has a high difficulty rating and his lane mechanics aren't all that difficult; at worst, lining up his wall is kind of hard and remembering to toggle Defile properly.
And then "all you have to do is hit R huehuehuehuehue," of course

Ez barely got nerfed, he is still gonna be really popular. His mobility is still intact and his W is still about as useful late game (it's mostly used for pushing a lot of times it's hard to get off in a 1v1).

Blizzard

Banned
I think reaction time and reading a situation plays a lot into being a good Katarina or a great Katarina. A lot of tiny delay spells like Cass Q seem to happen so quickly, that even if you blink very quickly, you might get hit by it especially with high ping. Dodging fast skillshots or skillshots at close range with shunpo is not something I think everyone does well. Plus sometimes minions will move so you have to keep the mouse cursor hovering over a safe minion so you can smartcast the escape.

The other thing is that at least with old Katarina, you had to watch CC very carefully since a single ability nullifying your multi-second ult would get rid of a huge part of your damage. You would need to be able to make a split second decision about when to go all in with the ult, and when to keep running around the outside of a fight waiting for someone to give up and use the last CC spell, meaning you will then ult to win the fight.

My experience playing the new TT.

Enemy Pantheon, disconnect from the game.

Enemy Tryndamere, disconnect from the game.

Didn't buy any of the new items? Disconnect from the game.

Enemy has new items? Disconnect from the game.

zkylon

zkylewd
Tried Kat with my smurf account, I was 7 1 2 at 12:00. She's cool, the 15% damage reduction on her E feels weird, I just traded using my QEW all the time and would almost always win my trades.

And DFG now is garbage tier...

dimb

Ez barely got nerfed, he is still gonna be really popular. His mobility is still intact and his W is still about as useful late game (it's mostly used for pushing a lot of times it's hard to get off in a 1v1).
Losing the attack speed debuff is big. It's probably the biggest nerf this patch, particularly to his late game.
The other thing is that at least with old Katarina, you had to watch CC very carefully since a single ability nullifying your multi-second ult would get rid of a huge part of your damage. You would need to be able to make a split second decision about when to go all in with the ult, and when to keep running around the outside of a fight waiting for someone to give up and use the last CC spell, meaning you will then ult to win the fight.
New Kat is far less reliant on getting as much of her ult off as possible for damage. The timing on it is still a big deal though.

Blizzard

Banned
My experience playing the new TT.

Enemy Pantheon, disconnect from the game.

Enemy Tryndamere, disconnect from the game.

Didn't buy any of the new items? Disconnect from the game.

Enemy has new items? Disconnect from the game.
Were you disconnecting or were your teammates disconnecting? You might get reported for leaving if you disconnect, so it's probably better to just pick Tryndamere yourself.

How is the IP per minute on the new map?

Ferga

EvF5Vh.jpg

Galactic lee sin

dimb

It seems you can't farm the jungle in TT to keep up with lanes. You just fall behind.
They put all the camps right on top of the lanes specifically so you could grab them while still farming in lane. I really don't understand a lot of the design of the map. Who is going to want to take the double lane and share farm?

They put all the camps right on top of the lanes specifically so you could grab them while still farming in lane. I really don't understand a lot of the design of the map. Who is going to want to take the double lane and share farm?

In the end, one person is going to get screwed on farm.

I guess you are supposed to gank all day to get gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom