• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT4| No Country for Old Karma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agkel

New guys listen up
New guys listen up
NEW GUYS LISTEN UP!!!!

A couple of tips for you, so you get the most out of LoL.
The point of playing videogames is to have fun, correct? I think there are different markets inside of LoL that enjoy the game differently.

1)The casuals. In order to enjoy the game as a casual you should play either full bot games(that you create through the custom games menu) or Coop vs Ai games (which means that you get grouped with other people and pitted against bots). For this you only need to skim on some guides (mechanic essentials mostly) and perhaps watch champions spotlights to get an idea of what different champions do.

2)Semi casual to competitive. Once you decide you enjoy the game and you want to be more competitive and/or you decide to move to PvP you will need to start studying. That's right, studying. Good thing though, is that studying for LoL is fun. You will read more in depths guides to learn minutia and champion chemistry, you will watch matches not only because they are fun to watch but because you'll learn while watching. The more competitive you want to be the more "studying" you should expect to do.

3)The Dominionians. People that only play Dominion queue. This is a capture the base mode similar to Battlefield. Extremely fun but somewhat unbalanced due to champions mechanic not translating well into that mode, making some champions OP and others weak.Similar to Casuals, there is not much "studying" to be done to enjoy Dominion, especially if you pick one of the OP champions.

4)ARAMians. People that only play ARAM custom matches with an official queue coming out soon. All Random, All Mid games, were players are given random champions and duke it out only in the mid lane. There are some rules to ARAM but I personally have never played it, so I'm not exactly sure of the intricacies of it.

You can be one of the above or a mix of them. Which is fine, because whatever you choose to do, its ok as long as you're having fun.

Some other tips:

-Embrace the rage, You will rage playing this game more than any other genre out there. The important thing is learning to control it and not letting it get in the way of your learning process.

-Been good takes time and some dedication. Unlike other game genres, LoL has many mechanics that takes some time to learn. The more casual you are and the less you "study" the longer it'll take you to master the game. But as I mentioned before, this is not a bad thing. Having fun should always come first.

-Play easy champs while you learn the mechanics of the game itself. Turrets, dragons, baron, wards etc. Once you are familiar with those you can start moving to more complex champions.

-Always assume your team mates have some kind of mental disorder, this will minimize your rage when they fuck up and will teach you early on to be on point at all times

-HAVE FUN!!! The minute you stop having fun you need to take a break or even perhaps stop playing LoL entirely.

edit: Also, this game is Free to Play. How "free" you ask? So Free!!!

Blizzard

Banned
Any tips for Twitch? I kind of like the idea of Twitch, but when I try to use his ult, he stops and attacks people and then is out of range, so I guess I'd have to make myself micro click the enemy, then closer to them between attack ticks, then the enemy, then closer, etc.

y2dvd

I honestly never liked Reginald from the few clips I've seen him in interviews but after watching GameCrib, he doesn't seem so bad. It may seem he got rid of Chaox based on one week but it probably went on way longer than that. You can only clash with your boss for so long before something happens.

Wish I was XSpecial. That girl can me make happy any time!

Xisiqomelir

Tristana too easy, both ways!.

perfectstana28032013_zpsd8ce83dc.png

perfectAPstana28032013_zps29cf3b57.png

(I like the burstiness of the AP way though)

I have two months playing LoL...(my first MOBA) and I've already spent 60 dollars.

My guilt ratio would be of 30... right?

Shame.

And I'll probably buy more the next month...
I'm weak.
But also I don't plan to buy any other games this year aside from GTA V. So... a big portion of my savings is going to Riot now...

Hm, I've been playing since mid 2011 so around 20 months, and I probably spent around $600. Not sure the exact figure.

I've also played like 1300 games in that time so I've gotten a lot of mileage out of this beast. Probably around 750 hours all told if we figure the average Summoner's Rift match lasts 35 minutes.

vesp

I honestly never liked Reginald from the few clips I've seen him in interviews but after watching GameCrib, he doesn't seem so bad. It may seem he got rid of Chaox based on one week but it probably went on way longer than that. You can only clash with your boss for so long before something happens.

I've randomly bumped into him a couple of times in real life and he always came off as a complete twat.

Agkel

Haha yeah, I'll update that chart in a little bit. I'm actually on my way to pick up two $25 cards plus $10 I used last week. But like you said, this is the only game I'm playing atm and I have such a freaking huge backlog that I dont see myself buying new games in the near future.

Also those of you that want to update your $hame, let me know so I can update accordingly.

Kenai

Yes!

So I have enough points to buy either Annie, Ashe, Garen, Kayle, Master Yi, Nunu, Poppy, Ryze, Sivir, or Soraka.

Who is good and who is bad? I played as Ryze my first game and just did terrible with him.

It is extremely difficult to say, because as you get better you'll start to get a feel for each champ and your opinion on them will change. Some of my current favs are ones I did the most horrible with at first.

Annie is an extremely newb friendly mid because her Q is free if you last hit with it (so "free' practice) and she has good range. Garen is also really easy to use and mana free. Kayle is extremely good but might be complicated for a rookie. Ryze is pretty good too, be sure to come back to him later.

Just try out all the free champs for the week and keep practicing. You might be drawn to a particular champ's aesthetics also, which is fine (usually). Even characters in the same role can play really different from each other. Most champs are viable in at least some type of role, so don't be too worried about picking a "dud".

Boken

Banned
Any tips for Twitch? I kind of like the idea of Twitch, but when I try to use his ult, he stops and attacks people and then is out of range, so I guess I'd have to make myself micro click the enemy, then closer to them between attack ticks, then the enemy, then closer, etc.
Whatever you do, don't ask soda cop for advice. You also have to take advantage of the pass through effect for max range. Hit a minion to splash ut target etx

Poor xpecial. Yoonie and he broke up a month after the Btw.

I promise I'll be back for the frejlord patch! Or maybe ill be back now to play udyr... And karma.... Hey guys let's play league again

Blizzard

Banned
It's funny the way they phrased the Hecarim change.

The previous version of Spirit of Dread did not offer enough opportunities for tactical decision-making. With higher cooldowns, our goal is to reintroduce strategic choices other than merely activating the ability whenever it is available.
It's like, you didn't have the OPPORTUNITY to choose something, since you could choose it pretty often, so we're going to give you that choice by letting you choose it less often now.

As opposed to just saying "We felt like people using this with the old cooldowns was too powerful".

Wind Slash

Fixed a bug where Riven could cast Wind Slash a second time after using Zhonya's Hourglass
I never realized this was the case! I heard someone mention hourglass but I didn't take advantage of it. ;_;

New Udyr is in as well as new Karma.

Towers are now more powerful towards both champions and minions.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Zzzz

Mid doesn't ban Blitzcrank, wonders why everyone keeps getting caught.

ParityBit

Wow, are you guys dumping your money into the Champions?

Last night I was unable to really play, and today/tonight I have a nasty cold (I blame PAX and PAD)

Which current Champion is a good one to start with? I will finish the tutorials tonight and then head into co-op. See what all the hub-bub is about!

I'm still shocked Chaox got kicked off of TSM. He's my favorite adc. His work behavior is another thing.

Last night I was unable to really play, and today/tonight I have a nasty cold (I blame PAX and PAD)

Which current Champion is a good one to start with? I will finish the tutorials tonight and then head into co-op. See what all the hub-bub is about!
IP only or bust for champions. Which role do you like to play the most? Maybe support? :p Anyone can play support.

zkylon

zkylewd

garen, annie, ashe

I'm still shocked Chaox got kicked off of TSM. He's my favorite adc. His work behavior is another thing.

IP only or bust for champions. Which role do you like to play the most? Maybe support? :p Anyone can play support.
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

don't hurt me babe

Ferga

Not anyone can play a good support.

zkylon

zkylewd
I had a corgi-esque cho'gath on my team today.

I went 6 2 1 against a fizz in lane and the guy was literally counting up every snare I missed and saying on /all chat "we have a retarded lux over here!".

lol wtf

garath

Man, I thought the Hecarim nerf had already gone through. Oh well.

Still thinking about picking him up. The nerf to Spirit of the Elder Lizard hurts for a few of my junglers :(

I think I like the tower changes. Not sure. It'll slow down the game a little, more like season 2. The tower dives are virtually risk free after level 6 or so anyways, so yeah.. I think I like it.

Going to be sooooo many Udyr and Karmas over the next week.

garath

So all this money you guys spend, is it just for Champions?

I've bought a champion bundle, individual champions (on sale), skins (most on sale), the rune page bundle, and 1 IP boost when I was hurting for some runes.

80% of my IP has been spent on runes, not champions. RP filled my champion pool quite nicely.

Cathcart

Support is not the easiest role to learn first. It requires a certain understanding of the game, as well as game sense. Jungling is also a more-difficult role to just jump into from the start.

Carries are easier in the beginning because you focus on things that you would naturally be attempting to do if you weren't being taught a particular meta: kill minions for gold, and kill other champs for more gold.

Solo top bruisers are also easier to get into.

Dude shut up. This is the top secret info that we don't tell new players.

OFFICIAL CORRECTION NEW PLAYERS ONLY READ THIS NEXT PART

You should start with support because it's harder but also more boring than carrying and the experienced players want to do the fun stuff--I MEAN BECAUSE IT'S EASY AND IT HELPS YOU LEARN THE GAME SHIT JUST READ THIS PART DAMN IT.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Haha is this for real? Crazy. I've been playing on and off (mostly off) since closed beta and I've spent exactly $0. However my laptop died right as I was getting super competitive and it took me a while to get back into the game after that. I probably would have spent some cash if my laptop had not crapped out on me.

So all this money you guys spend, is it just for Champions?

I buy 6300 champions with RP, usually when they're on sale. The ratio of RP spent to IP is too high for these champs on sale (487 RP vs 6300 IP) to make it worth my while to actually grind out the IP for all of these. (not that I could grind all of them out anyway). I use the IP for runes and the 450 - 3150 champs.

At this point I think the only champions left for me to get are Kha'zix and Fizz.

I also bought a crapload of skins.

Haha is this for real? Crazy. I've been playing on and off (mostly off) since closed beta and I've spent exactly $0. However my laptop died right as I was getting super competitive and it took me a while to get back into the game after that. I probably would have spent some cash if my laptop had not crapped out on me.

I don't understand this sort of thing, I figure if I've been playing the game for anything over 20-30 hours I can support the developer of the game in exchange, at least a little bit, even if not to that extravagant extent.

scy

Dude shut up. This is the top secret info that we don't tell new players.

OFFICIAL CORRECTION NEW PLAYERS ONLY READ THIS NEXT PART

You should start with support because it's harder but also more boring than carrying and the experienced players want to do the fun stuff--I MEAN BECAUSE IT'S EASY AND IT HELPS YOU LEARN THE GAME SHIT JUST READ THIS PART DAMN IT.

lol~

No, but seriously, a good support is hard to play. It's less mechanically intensive in regards to last hitting but general positioning and lane dynamics are a lot more important here. A good support should know what both their opponents can do in lane (i.e., your relative safe zones from both) and know how to control the lane so their ADC can farm safely.

"support is ez" is basically the bush camping ones that sit behind their ADC and think that "support" means to provide passive aid in lane and to do things when the ADC takes initiative. That's basically the worst way to play Support.

That said, there are times to be passive in lane but, for the most part, the Support's job is to alleviate pressure in lane and to create opportunities for farming or kills.

garath

I don't understand this sort of thing, I figure if I've been playing the game for anything over 20-30 hours I can support the developer of the game in exchange, at least a little bit, even if not to that extravagant extent.

I will happily pay more than my share to keep the game "free". I have no problems with people playing the game for free. That's how there's so many players. Keeps an influx of new players, and older players coming back. Instead of the community drying up over time, it just keeps getting bigger.

I love getting games in less than 2 min in ranked. I love that my placements a couple months into the season were played with other people in placements. I love seeing new people pick up the game every day. It's refreshing for an online game.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah but the only point of spending cash is to buy skins, and I don't really need skins to enjoy the game. Plus, there are others out there who are spending $8,000 a year on this, so my dropping $10 isn't really going to make much of a difference.

Boken

Banned
Yeah but the only point of spending cash is to buy skins, and I don't really need skins to enjoy the game. Plus, there are others out there who are spending $8,000 a year on this, so my dropping $10 isn't really going to make much of a difference.

you dont have to rationalise how poor you are
that last reason was mega weak tho

falastini

"support is ez" is basically the bush camping ones that sit behind their ADC and think that "support" means to provide passive aid in lane and to do things when the ADC takes initiative. That's basically the worst way to play Support.

That said, there are times to be passive in lane but, for the most part, the Support's job is to alleviate pressure in lane and to create opportunities for farming or kills.

I had a game with a Blitz and one with a Thresh, where they spent the whole laning phase standing around behind me. No bush control, no presence... so frustrating. You might as well be 2v1 at that point. I'm trying to cs and I'm getting poked by the adc and support, while mine is hiding behind the lane contributing nothing.

Speaking of bad supports, I got stuck with a Riven support, who contributed nothing but getting himself killed. Then he proceeded to blame me for sucking, to which our top laner agreed with him because "he can tell from my cs". I tried explaining how I had to back multiple times, because of my inept support, and spent the majority of the time turret farming, but no... I just suck. So much rage that day.

Macattk15

I don't want to think about how much money I have spent on LoL.

Not including champions I have purchased with RP because I am not sure which I have bought with RP vs IP (i have all champs unlocked) ... maybe I'll make a list of all the skins I own later when I am at home and can see the skins I own.

I have a ton of skins :(

edit : Did a quick run through of champs and made an Excel sheet of skins I own .... I own 68 skins total with 7 Legendary skins. Probably got some on sale ... but dear jesus. So about $600 (at full RP) on skins alone and I've played since beta off and on. Not terrible I guess.

drawkcaB

I've bought a champion bundle, individual champions (on sale), skins (most on sale), the rune page bundle, and 1 IP boost when I was hurting for some runes.

80% of my IP has been spent on runes, not champions. RP filled my champion pool quite nicely.

Ditto. Between the kid and, well, life money isn't a concern for enjoyment anymore. Time however very much is.

mercviper

I pretty much benchmark everything with when I played WoW. I spent $15/mo for that so every month I play a game I justify it's worth $15. And I justified WoW playing from the amount of money I spent playing DDR. >_>

That said, I think I've spent $200 over 3 years on this game. Still well under $15/mo. Pretty much all on skins too. IP for champs always.

Just had a ranked game where the picker called mid but then got tricked into picking Blitzcrank by someone who said he would swap, but then that guy picked Orianna and fed mid 0:4 in like 6 minutes while top also went 0:3 and our jungle Lee-Sin as well 0:3 (he didnt get ganged in jungle he would just sometimes walk on a lane and jump into 2 enemies with higher cs and lvl than him).

Next game we had a Malphite support who then when the game started decided he wouldn't support but rather do ... ganging?
So the Nasus who was supposed to jungle went on my lane and stole like 20 cs and ruined 10 other last hits (he also didn't help me in the slightest against Taric/Cait, I still managed to have almost even cs with the Cait because she was a pretty bad lasthitter).
What the Malphite did worked however and the other lanes won (it was like 6:3 after the first couple minutes) but then he left the game on lvl 4 and we lost in late while it was painfully obvious that we would have won with an additional Malphite in the fights.

But still I think if I have a lucky streak of games I can climb that ladder but 2 games won - 2 games lost is just really point inefficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom