• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT4| No Country for Old Karma

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I go Kog'maw in solo queue and build BotRK, Hurricane, Last Whisper, Bloodthirster, Infinity Edge, and Berserker Greaves. =D I sometimes replace Bloodthirster with Rageblade. =DDDDD

Viable? Yes. A good decision? Depends.

What does that even mean? Every champion has their hard matchups and you pick different carries in different situations. It depends on what's picked against you. And to be honest, most of the time you wont eve care what you're against if you're a decent player.

I go Kog'maw in solo queue and build BotRK, Hurricane, Last Whisper, Bloodthirster, Infinity Edge, and Berserker Greaves. =D I sometimes replace Bloodthirster with Rageblade. =DDDDD

You're a bad person.

bjaelke

Tiamat will carry you to glory.

IkqGIs0.png

LCS: Did Aranaee just say Bloodfister?

(WIP) Unofficial PBE Patch Notes for 7/18/2013

drawkcaB

Sometimes, I miss not having a PBE and just having patch notes come out and the official GD forums descending into cesspool. Sometimes.

EDIT: Nunu buff?

So I've been thinking about this for a while, and I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble with it. I played a bit of Trundle during his free week, and I found that sometimes hiw abilities wouldn't cast. I use smartcast with range indicators, and I found that if I was chasing someone and I tried to cast my pillar or frozen domain a few times, it wouldn't cast. I've been able to spam ability buttons and have spells go off with other champs, is this just a problem with ground targeted spells and smartcast?

Edit: Does it have something to do with this problem with Riven? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEoTs3BOARo

drawkcaB

So I've been thinking about this for a while, and I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble with it. I played a bit of Trundle during his free week, and I found that sometimes hiw abilities wouldn't cast. I use smartcast with range indicators, and I found that if I was chasing someone and I tried to cast my pillar or frozen domain a few times, it wouldn't cast. I've been able to spam ability buttons and have spells go off with other champs, is this just a problem with ground targeted spells and smartcast?

Edit: Does it have something to do with this problem with Riven? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEoTs3BOARo

Not all "skillshots" work the same way when using smartcast. What's happening here is that you're using Trundle's W and E outside the cast range of those abilities, so he has to move to a location where he'll be in cast range and the ability will activate. If you don't know this is happening, it's easy to keep making the mistake over and over again (e.g. you're leading the target to land his Pillar, but the ability doesn't fire because you're out of range, Trundle and target move, and you reposition the Pillar target circle but you're still out of range, rinse-repeat).

As a rule of thumb, "unanchored" skill shots which don't originate from the caster will force the champ to move if out of range (e.g. Trundle pillar, Ziggs Q). "Anchored" skillshots that originate from the caster won't move you even if your cursor is out of range - the ability will just fire anyways (e.g. Xerath Q).

(This could just be a range indicator issue. I tried using it a few times but frankly it's really clunky. Wouldn't surprise me if it does wonky shit like you're describing.)

Not all "skillshots" work the same way when using smartcast. What's happening here is that you're using Trundle's W and E outside the cast range of those abilities, so he has to move to a location where he'll be in cast range and the ability will activate. If you don't know this is happening, it's easy to keep making the mistake over and over again (e.g. you're leading the target to land his Pillar, but the ability doesn't fire because you're out of range, Trundle and target move, and you reposition the Pillar target circle but you're still out of range, rinse-repeat).

As a rule of thumb, "unanchored" skill shots which don't originate from the caster will force the champ to move if out of range (e.g. Trundle pillar, Ziggs Q). "Anchored" skillshots that originate from the caster won't move you even if your cursor is out of range - the ability will just fire anyways (e.g. Xerath Q).

(This could just be a range indicator issue. I tried using it a few times but frankly it's really clunky. Wouldn't surprise me if it does wonky shit like you're describing.)

See, the weird thing about it is that I am using the skills within the range indicator. Maybe it's an issue with Trundle's cast times.

I can't imagine the range indicator itself changing anything, it seems like it's just an aesthetic change, no? From what I've heard regular smartcast is the same thing.

Nev

Banned
I've been finally brave enough to go Karma mage mid after dozens of dominion matches in which I ended almost always first as her and a couple of failure tries as a support.

1b88.jpg

Thankfully all I have to do now is linking my lolking profile in champ select to stop these "karma mid? reported troll gg".

Funny when people don't bother to find counters/learn how to play against unused champs. Worked as Lissandra for a while too.

I've been finally brave enough to go Karma mage mid after dozens of dominion matches in which I ended almost always first as her and a couple of failure tries as a support.

1b88.jpg

Thankfully all I have to do now is linking my lolking profile in champ select to stop these "karma mid? reported troll gg".

Funny when people don't bother to find counters/learn how to play against unused champs. Worked as Lissandra for a while too.

How have you been building her? Kinda want to try this.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

1b88.jpg

Shit that is a ton of ranked wins in a row.

Blizzard

Banned

I'm also interested in the build and skill order. How do you deal with minion waves if the enemy champion is someone who can kill the wave in 1-2 abilities or push quickly? I felt one of the biggest problems with Karma mid (aside from Riot nerfing it in the future ala Lulu mid/top if it turns out to be viable) was that the wave clear entirely depended on landing Q or R+Q, and hitting it even slightly wrong means a minion blocks it. Is it worth just burning RQ to help damage minion waves? Or just practice last hitting at the tower?

Einbroch

Banned
Meh, if that's all they do to Elise, that's fine. However, I think they should just have reduced the castable range and not the descent range.

JesseZao

Meh, if that's all they do to Elise, that's fine. However, I think they should just have reduced the castable range and not the descent range.

This might end up being like the Diana range nerfs (in that intended/learned playstyle will be so different, they'll revert the synced range).

Having the circle smaller and not being able to follow a moving target outside the range as you descend will really hurt her stickiness. Prepare to be kited for days.

garath

This might end up being like the Diana range nerfs (in that intended/learned playstyle will be so different, they'll revert the synced range).

Having the circle smaller and not being able to follow a moving target outside the range as you descend will really hurt her stickiness. Prepare to be kited for days.

with how long the cast takes it almost always descends when they are out of the ring. If they don't speed it up the skill will be almost useless. It needs to be a lot more fluid and they can tighten up the circle as much as they want.

JesseZao

with how long the cast takes it almost always descends when they are out of the ring. If they don't speed it up the skill will be almost useless. It needs to be a lot more fluid and they can tighten up the circle as much as they want.

Agree completely. Mashing E to come back down is anti-fun. I have missed many a kill because of the delay.

Absolute heartbreaker :( I kinda threw the game by pushing top past river about 45 min in. They were baroning and I saw it at the last second and got to my team too late during the fight.

Wish I coulda helped mid more. Veigar is really hard to gank as Udyr, I feel. I was actually behind early so I couldn't do much, the enemy invaded our blue not two seconds after I typed "prob shoulda watched for invade" into chat. I guess I'm starting to get matched up with players who do that and need to learn to deal with it.

All in all though, minus the late-game throw, I was happy with my first game as SGU. I was absolutely wrecking in mid-game, I was on like a 5 kill streak just running around in their team during teamfights.

Q8D3vil

Wish I coulda helped mid more. Veigar is really hard to gank as Udyr, I feel. I was actually behind early so I couldn't do much, the enemy invaded our blue not two seconds after I typed "prob shoulda watched for invade" into chat. I guess I'm starting to get matched up with players who do that and need to learn to deal with it.
you had annie mid it shouldnt been that hard to land a stun on with her passive.

Nev

Banned
For those asking for the Karma mage build, this is what I got in the only match I finished the build:

31cb.png

Keep in mind that that was one of the first ranked matches I played as mid so I was trying stuff. I don't think Deathfire is a core item, for example, or even Zhonya. Recently I've been getting Kage and Haunting Guise and found these more useful than Zhonya. Unless I go against a heavy AD laner, I never feel like I need a Zhonya.

What I can tell you is that athene (or) morello are an absolute must buy. Combined with ionian boots, you get 35% CDR, Q's CD will be 3.05, being the cap 3. Blue buff will give you that 5% remaining.

I almost always build RoA and Zhonya as AP mid, but that's because my main are Swain and Lissandra, who will always be in the center of the fight. I don't find these items to be essential for Karma because she has some good options for escaping and moving around and she shouldn't be in the very center of the fight anyways.

I'm also interested in the build and skill order. How do you deal with minion waves if the enemy champion is someone who can kill the wave in 1-2 abilities or push quickly? I felt one of the biggest problems with Karma mid (aside from Riot nerfing it in the future ala Lulu mid/top if it turns out to be viable) was that the wave clear entirely depended on landing Q or R+Q, and hitting it even slightly wrong means a minion blocks it. Is it worth just burning RQ to help damage minion waves? Or just practice last hitting at the tower?
R-Q-E-W. Karma can kill the wave in 1-2 abilities too. I've clearly been pushed and I've "outpushed" the lane with a well placed R+Q. I find her autoattack one of the most responsive, so it isn't hard to last hit. You don't even have to use R+Q, even though it's the fastest way to push the lane. Q's will be enough to farm, harrass and push. Really, I've had no problems of being pushed to the turret when I don't want (except one match I played against Trashter Yi AP, but that's a broken shit anyways and will dissapear) or farming. Of course it is worth burning R+Q to help you farm/push. Try to hit a minion which is in the middle of the wave if you wanna get the majority of them.

Saprol

Got a Dawnguard key. Hmm...
I tried the shaper that's like Garen but his Q leaps instead of running fast, and it stuns AoE instead of silencing. There's a Sunfire Cape equivalent in there too and tons of brush on the map. purdy cool

Except the part where last week the queue system just stalled there forever. Custom games worked though.

kSt

*getting carried in placements all day everyday.

No, seriously. It is such a lottery. One game we play 5v4, in another we have 1k+ normal wins Fizz.
Both enemy teams had good players which didn't deserve to lose.

IsayFever

Ionian boots on any mage is a huge waste. Sorc shoes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yeah. I play solo Karma every now and I usually rush Athene and never get Ionian (except for support Karma). I'm not counting on getting blue in yoloqueue so I rush Morello afterward. She's pretty mobile with E spam and you won't have mana issues.

I go DRing+pots->Chalice->Athene->Boot1->Morello->Deathcap->Void/Zhonya, upgrading to Sorc somewhere. R>Q>E>W

If it's an arranged game where I'm guaranteed blue I can skip Morello but I don't know what else I'd get. DFG is eh, Abyssal is eh, Rylai is bleh, Seraph isn't great, Liandry is meh.

rakhir

Athene + Morello for the CDR cap so I can get sorc? I think I thought about it but never tried. Going to try.
Wouldn't it be better to build something more dmg oriented instead of one of those items? I've mostly build athene, ionian and a dmg item (hat usually)

Ferga

Alright. Fuck phoenix Udyr.

Tiger all the way from now. One big, tanky ass carry machine.

Never give buffs and carry hard. MMmmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom