• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT4| No Country for Old Karma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boken

Banned
So I'm trying to get into Summoners Rift again after getting tired of how every game felt the same (in terms of how you must have a support role, an adc, a jungler etc.).
Of course I'm put into the role of support the first game. I really don't like being an underlevled wardwhore, it's just not fun for me. Is there anything I can do to enjoy that role more? Any specific character or playstyle or anything? :7

On another note, bought some RP, do Legendary skins ever go on sale? I'm guessing not.

legendary skins wont go on sale unless theyre retiring them

if you feel like a wardwhore then youre not making support fun for yourself
supports can be incredibly aggressive and most will out duel the enemy adc

in an ideal world, your adc should be farming 100% of the time while you provide space for them + preventing the enemy adc from farming

you are basically the angry mother bird that is scaring off the stupid humans while you prepare your eagle to fly and be all 'MERICA

play more aggressively! its nice that you ward, but you need PRESENCE (cue aphromoo's video). play sona, 2v1 and poke the enemy adc and support, dancing around their range. play thresh, make them fat hooks, lantern your jungler, duel the shit out of the enemy adc. play nami, double bubble the support and adc and zone them the fk out. play alistar and create a massive area of danger for the enemy. play leona and make a kill lane out of it

so yeah its nice that you ward, but that doesnt actually contribute anything to the team and probably why you feel useless. you need to make farming easier for your carry by reducing pressure, and making farming harder for the enemy carry by putting on pressure

i actually quite like playing support because i get the opportunity to shit on the enemy adc and support by myself (many supports are pretty bad at it, easy to abuse this.)

Ocho

Question: I played a few ranked Janna games and my end game build was literally: Ruby Sightstone, Mobo Boots, and more wards. I was so damn squishy I would die in two hits. Any tips for when your this gold starved? The map was completely illuminated, but I felt useless otherwise.

Try to get a Kage before mobo boots (you're already fast enough). Use extra money for Oracle, or maybe get Twin Shadows. With Janna it's all about the runes. What do you run with?

Although mobo boots and sighstone is all you need if your team is competent (the Korean way). Out vision the enemy, stay back, throw a tornado and ult in a timely manner.

Lord Phol

Play support correctly and you won't be an 'underleveled wardwhore'.

Stop viewing support as an "underleveled wardwhore" for a start.

So ur honestly saying that as a support you won't be underlevled compared to ur mates and you aren't there to ward for ur team? Because every other whiner in the game tells me different.
I can understand some people enjoying that role sure, but it's just not for me, and having to play something that I don't find enjoyment in is just a waste of time.

legendary skins wont go on sale unless theyre retiring them

if you feel like a wardwhore then youre not making support fun for yourself
supports can be incredibly aggressive and most will out duel the enemy adc

in an ideal world, your adc should be farming 100% of the time while you provide space for them + preventing the enemy adc from farming

you are basically the angry mother bird that is scaring off the stupid humans while you prepare your eagle to fly and be all 'MERICA

play more aggressively! its nice that you ward, but you need PRESENCE (cue aphromoo's video). play sona, 2v1 and poke the enemy adc and support, dancing around their range. play thresh, make them fat hooks, lantern your jungler, duel the shit out of the enemy adc. play nami, double bubble the support and adc and zone them the fk out. play alistar and create a massive area of danger for the enemy. play leona and make a kill lane out of it

so yeah its nice that you ward, but that doesnt actually contribute anything to the team and probably why you feel useless. you need to make farming easier for your carry by reducing pressure, and making farming harder for the enemy carry by putting on pressure

i actually quite like playing support because i get the opportunity to shit on the enemy adc and support by myself (many supports are pretty bad at it, easy to abuse this.)

Hmm okey that makes it sound a bit more fun, guess I'm a bit jaded becuase of people whining alot about warding. Perhaps someone like blitz could work out for me, it's quite satisfying gettiing someone on that hook. Thanks for the write up!

Newt

So ur honestly saying that as a support you won't be underlevled compared to ur mates and you aren't there to ward for ur team? Because every other whiner in the game tells me different.
I can understand some people enjoying that role sure, but it's just not for me, and having to play something that I don't find enjoyment in is just a waste of time.
There's no excuse being a different level than your adc. You share all the xp you get.

Boken

Banned
support is basically the role that has to do the most with the least

that is by definition

we are giving you suggestions on how you can make it more fun because it is inevitable that you have to play it

yes, you will be underleveled (mostly because you teamfight rather than empty lane farm) and you will be the one that is partly responsible for vision control. but you have a lot of control over the laning phase and the design trend right now is that you have a lot of utility in team fights. somebody has to have the least gold in the game (the support) and being able to do everything that supports do with nearly no gold is not an easy thing. would you trust that to some wood iv player?

Somehow I keep getting AP Trists when I go Vlad.

Riot please stop. At no point in the game can I win that lane and it takes a lot of begging to get a random to lane swap with me. She's also freakishly annoying to gank.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Riot please stop. At no point in the game can I win that lane and it takes a lot of begging to get a random to lane swap with me. She's also freakishly annoying to gank.

I hate yordles. So much.

Boken

Banned

Riot please stop. At no point in the game can I win that lane and it takes a lot of begging to get a random to lane swap with me.
you make me sad
Hmm okey that makes it sound a bit more fun, guess I'm a bit jaded becuase of people whining alot about warding. Perhaps someone like blitz could work out for me, it's quite satisfying gettiing someone on that hook. Thanks for the write up!
i thought you mightve seen this video, but im starting to think you havent. its also a huge aphromoo advertisement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6bWcmK-w_M
I also think you need to play with a support that just wards against a decent support. not even a bad support that takes farm and is basically trying to play carry, but a support that just wards and hides behind you when the enemy support is harassing the hell out of you.

garath

My support page has the bonus xp because you will miss some here and there warding. Otherwise you shouldn't be underleveled unless you are dying a lot or roaming a lot.

Not to say that roaming as a support isn't an option when the situation calls for but in general you're sticking to the "marksman" and therefore sharing all the xp he gets.

But like the others have said, play aggressive. Blitz, Thresh, Zyra, Sona. Poke and zone. Work that CC to lock them down. The role is what you make of it. Avoid Soraka and have some fun with it.

Leezard

It's definitely common for the support to be a tad bit lower in level/exp than the adc. Sticking to the adc at all times is not really an option for most games, often the support has to help the team while the ad might need to farm a bit more.

Nev

Banned
dfsy.jpg

Enough carrying for today. I've had to face enough retardly broken Vaynes and Elises.

Loving these "karma mid? jesus", "gg, trollpick mid", "wtf karma mid reported, always trolls in promo", "i've never won a match with a karma in my team" that turn into "sorry, you're awesome", "dat karma", "best karma I've seen".

From gold V to II (91LP) rocking Karma mid. Take that metasheeps.

Azulsky

Against what mids? Item order?

I tried playing her right after the first round of buffs post rework and it usually seemed that her ramp up phase was long.

If you were forced against a Zed she takes years to get anywhere with Tear + Armguard

Einbroch

Banned
I hate yordles. So much.

fuckthisgayearth.gif

We need more Yordles. Annie should have been a Yordle.

Tristana is awesome. Lulu is awesome. Teemo is awesome because he dies a lot. Veigar is awesome. We don't talk about Poppy. Corki is pretty nifty. Heimer has dongers. Ziggs is da bomb (gitit?). Rumble is a broken piece of crap. How can you hate Amumu?

Although, yeah, you can have Kennan. He's the worst.

Nev

Banned
Against what mids? Item order?

I tried playing her right after the first round of buffs post rework and it usually seemed that her ramp up phase was long.

If you were forced against a Zed she takes years to get anywhere with Tear + Armguard

A wide variety. I remember: Diana, Yi AP, Annie, Jarvan, Twisted Fate, Malphite AP, Talon, Kassadin, Ahri, Lissandra, Brand, Fizz, Gragas, Leblanc, Zed...

Precisely that 16/4 was against Zed.

-Faerie Charm + 4 health potions + 1 mana potion + 1 ward
-Chalice + Basic boots or just Chalice because you can stay without boots for a while with E.
-Athene's + Sorc boots.

Then I usually get a Kage and wait to upgrade it to Morello after I complete Rabadon. I know it's somehow stupid but I also get almost everytime a Fiendish Codex along with Kage's Lucky Pick and don't upgrade it to Morellonomicon or Deathfire (selling Kage's) until I finish Rabadon. I get it for the CDR and the free gold but I know I must change that order because doesn't make much sense.

After that, it's either Haunting Guise/Liandry or Zhonya. I get Keeper's Armguard before Athene's when I face a hard AD like Zed or Jarvan, otherwise I don't feel the urge to get a Zhonya.

I have never built Tear as Karma. She's really mana efficient and Athene's + blue buff are enough for me. Seraph's Embrace should be good for sure but I'm too impatient to build it.

drawkcaB

dfsy.jpg

Enough carrying for today. I've had to face enough retardly broken Vaynes and Elises.

Loving these "karma mid? jesus", "gg, trollpick mid", "wtf karma mid reported, always trolls in promo", "i've never won a match with a karma in my team" that turn into "sorry, you're awesome", "dat karma", "best karma I've seen".

From gold V to II (91LP) rocking Karma mid. Take that metasheeps.

Nice. Teach me the ways of mid.

Subtle

I see. Yeah I guess I'll build Aegis early where I don't need that many wards. Thanks guys.

Anyway, Thresh has reduced base health and armor but his souls will now give a flat amount of stats. No diminishing returns.

I see. Yeah I guess I'll build Aegis early where I don't need that many wards. Thanks guys.

Anyway, Thresh has reduced base health and armor but his souls will now give a flat amount of stats. No diminishing returns.

It's more accurate to say no diminishing returns past 100 souls. There are up to that point.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
oh my god this game. this fucking game.

nasus dies in lane before minions even spawn. lee sin spends the next 15 minutes insulting and arguing nasus, who does the same back. as a result, nasus feeds and lee does nothing of note. fiddle is having a hard lane, so lee just takes the second blue and then dies to red buff because he was typing more arguments with nasus.

i try to be the voice of reason and ask them to stop arguing and just play and eventually we win a teamfight and nasus ignores lee, so the arguments stop. cue complete turnaround. at the end of the game just as we take all three inhibs and back, varus says "see what happens when we dont argue" and nasus says "more like, see what happens when i get farm".

how are people like this. how do they function. how can you be so arrogant and incapable of understanding or forgiveness when someone fucks up. how can you play a teamgame and pretend ignoring a struggling teammate is an option., what. the. fuck. is. wrong. with. people. in. this. game.

tl;dr
support zyra saves the day

YZzyPon.jpg

the fiddle streamed it all too. starts at 1:45
http://www.twitch.tv/victim130/b/434300799

Azulsky

If you have to build 1 rich boy item on Thresh I would get Randuins.

You are frontline whether you get dived on or you hook in and the souls help out the Randuins Active a bit.

He is a very good support to pick up Aegis on if your jungler is forgoing it. I used to pick up Locket if the Jungler got Aegis. I guess now you lose tanky options :( if the PBE goes live.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
He is a very good support to pick up Aegis on if your jungler is forgoing it. I used to pick up Locket if the Jungler got Aegis. I guess now you lose tanky options :( if the PBE goes live.
Eh. Now junglers aren't locked into getting Aegis/Bulwark. Supports don't have item variety anyways.

Azulsky

I think junglers will just build the next hyper efficient item which is Randuins, maybe even Warmogs again.

Im concerned that the removal of the 2nd tier of MR aura is going to make AOE comps even more powerful. Lockdown + Rumble is probably in the top 3 of most effective comps right now.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Randuin's is a good item, but it's situational. It's not even great against every AD champion. Aegis/Bulwark was a good fit for almost every situation.

Edwardo

oh my god this game. this fucking game.

nasus dies in lane before minions even spawn. lee sin spends the next 15 minutes insulting and arguing nasus, who does the same back. as a result, nasus feeds and lee does nothing of note. fiddle is having a hard lane, so lee just takes the second blue and then dies to red buff because he was typing more arguments with nasus.

i try to be the voice of reason and ask them to stop arguing and just play and eventually we win a teamfight and nasus ignores lee, so the arguments stop. cue complete turnaround. at the end of the game just as we take all three inhibs and back, varus says "see what happens when we dont argue" and nasus says "more like, see what happens when i get farm".

how are people like this. how do they function. how can you be so arrogant and incapable of understanding or forgiveness when someone fucks up. how can you play a teamgame and pretend ignoring a struggling teammate is an option., what. the. fuck. is. wrong. with. people. in. this. game.

tl;dr
support zyra saves the day

YZzyPon.jpg

the fiddle streamed it all too. starts at 1:45
http://www.twitch.tv/victim130/b/434300799

Ya I always wonder if those kinds of people are like that outside of the game. Like, do they actually go to work and talk to co-workers like that? It baffles me. It's like it is impossible for some people to be genuinely kind to others.

Azulsky

Randuin's is a good item, but it's situational. It's not even great against every AD champion. Aegis/Bulwark was a good fit for almost every situation.

Unless you have an armor increasing passive then its the best effective hp item against Physical damage, even if it is spell based.

I wasnt really against the jungling itemization being 'stagnant'. It always has been strong(read: sufficient) and the role was about strategy more than farming. As far as the role exists in the current professional strategy scene I dont see them adopting offensive junglers anytime soon.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
New Item: Spellbreaker (Melee Only)
Recipe: Hexdrinker + Avarice Blade + Gold
+ Attack Damage
+ Magic Resistance
+ Critical Strike Chance
UNIQUE Passive - Tenacity: Reduces the duration of stuns, slows, taunts, fears, silences, blinds, and immobilizes by 35%.
UNIQUE Passive - Lifeline: Upon taking magic damage that would reduce Health below 30%, grants a shield that absorbs 400 magic damage for 5 seconds (90 second cooldown.)

crit chance is going to ruin this item.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
New Item: Spellbreaker (Melee Only)
Recipe: Hexdrinker + Avarice Blade + Gold
+ Attack Damage
+ Magic Resistance
+ Critical Strike Chance
UNIQUE Passive - Tenacity: Reduces the duration of stuns, slows, taunts, fears, silences, blinds, and immobilizes by 35%.
UNIQUE Passive - Lifeline: Upon taking magic damage that would reduce Health below 30%, grants a shield that absorbs 400 magic damage for 5 seconds (90 second cooldown.)

crit chance is going to ruin this item.

Oh Tryndamere.

Kenai

I was so happy, looked like I would naturally get to go support in a Classic so I could practice Nami bubbles, or maybe even Fiddlesticks.

my "ADC" picks Brand "Can i go ADC Brand without you guys raging"

Someone on the other team dropped. I left the queue.

I try to have an open mind about these things, yet I feel like I dodged a bullet there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom