• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT4| No Country for Old Karma

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseZao

sometimes i feel like posting this after every diary post tho
Feral_Scream.jpg

out of compassion tho

Call_of_the_Void.jpg

You were sooo close.

So how bout that sale? Pretty good right?

Don't hate, just you wait

JesseZao

I was hoping you were actually trying AD Malz. Your build order made me hope it worked. :( Though I guess if it did Riot "we hate AP Tryndamere" would delete it.

Well I went 3-1 yesterday running it on "Jecoms". My scores weren't great (the play is somewhat similar to proxy singed except you push towers deep to draw attn), but I'm getting a better handle of it. For as many wards I buy, I thought about getting a sightstone, but probably won't.

The loss represented the downside of alt builds. My team that game raged when they noticed my items then actively tried not to lose. I did tell them my plan in lobby chat, but they still got mad.

After a 40 minute uphill battle which started hilarious (I picked Graves first, then someone Vayne top and the last one Draven as my bot partner (although he didn't buy a single ward the entire game and fought with me for cs) 4 of us dced at the same time for a couple of minutes (none of them ofc) as we were about to win it.

Thanks Obama for ruining my Graves stats

edit: our sejun said she would report the enemy team for ddosing, so at least I had a laugh

Forgive me for asking another noob competitive question.

Do all the pro teams use the same runes for the same role type? Is it pretty obvious what each will have? Do people try to "counter-pick" runes to combat another?

Azulsky

People have their preferences.

You can mathematically optimize a rune set to do a few different things.

Then you have practices like 1 red Crit rune just to give that small chance for a crit.

Masteries can vary. Some mid players run Utility, some run 21/0/9, some 21/9/0

Last season Froggen was known for running Magic resist reds on his Anivia because they were superior to Mpen reds that the other mid would use.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Do people have an idea before hand what runes the opposition has?
Not really. You could look up their pages but there would be no guarantee they didn't change them beforehand.

Are they allowed to change them from match to match?
Yes. Runes really aren't super important. They serve as a good baseline but you aren't going to "counter" someone with your runes.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Yes it was ranked. And yes I was stupid for not killing him when he was level 1 as soon as I obtained no response in chat.

Of course the "fair stance" wouldn't last the whole match (I told him at level 6 we could start playing normally again, something he didn't answer either), but don't call three of your mates to gank me with everything while I lasthit casually in the middle of the lane avoiding any harras or at least tell me that you don't care and you're going to act like a dc didn't happen.

Anyways, I learned the lesson. Never again fairness. And I feel bad because I know there are few players who would do the same, but sadly it's like the 15%.
To be fair, it would be really stupid of the other team to have just continued to let you afk farm top.

JesseZao

So, there's this Tryndamere top who is disconnected for several minutes.

I don't push the lane, just farm and wait for him to reconnect. He reconnects and come to lane as level 1 while I was 6. I tell him I let him farm. My jungler comes to gank and get a free kill on him, but I tell him to leave him because he had a dc and we don't like when we get abused when we have dc.

Some minutes later I'm shitganked by their jungler (I didn't attack him while he farmed top in Tryndamere's ausence). Tryndamere kills me and I tell him that was sadly unfair. Minutes later mid comes too along with jungler and Tryndamere and they dive me. They say nothing in chat. They destroy my turret. They win the game eventually (mostly because my bot feds Vayne but whatever).

This community is CANCER.

I'll never be fair with anyone again in this fucking game.

From kind words to RAGE. You sure are living on the edge. It's a game. If you're in ranked, you play to win.

Ferga

So, there's this Tryndamere top who is disconnected for several minutes.

I don't push the lane, just farm and wait for him to reconnect. He reconnects and come to lane as level 1 while I was 6. I tell him I let him farm. My jungler comes to gank and get a free kill on him, but I tell him to leave him because he had a dc and we don't like when we get abused when we have dc.

Some minutes later I'm shitganked by their jungler (I didn't attack him while he farmed top in Tryndamere's ausence). Tryndamere kills me and I tell him that was sadly unfair. Minutes later mid comes too along with jungler and Tryndamere and they dive me. They say nothing in chat. They destroy my turret. They win the game eventually (mostly because my bot feds Vayne but whatever).

This community is CANCER.

I'll never be fair with anyone again in this fucking game.

Seriously, Junglers get bored and fall behind naturally

A person who knows what they're doing in the jungle is always looking for opportunities to gank, tax, hold lanes and help push lanes. I'm not going to ignore an entire lane worth of gold and exp because you were being 'nice'.

Junglers strive off lane exp to even stay in the game right now. And top lane is the easiest lane to tax exp and gold off of because it's usually a melee or bruiser type person up there who can't kill you within seconds like a mid laner.

AdventChild

Neo Member
I'm Pantheon. Gank bot, Q, W, E. Run little Ez, run!. Ez 10hp, my spear is ready, DONT attack, DONT do it... let our ADC got the kill!!

Miss Forstune's brain afk. Ez alive.

I hate it.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I'm Pantheon. Gank bot, Q, W, E. Run little Ez, run!. Ez 10hp, my spear is ready, DONT attack, DONT do it... let our ADC got the kill!!

Miss Forstune's brain afk. Ez alive.

I hate it.
unless you're in a voicechat room with the adc, never leave kills for someone else.

Blizzard

Banned
League of Legends is all about being like the Joker in the Dark Knight movies -- if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself.

(however sometimes I am no doubt the bad player and other people are the ones who need to do it themselves)

Ashkeloth

Hi guys. This is going to be a bit of a long post, so bear with me.

Generally speaking, I want to play this game, but am very inexperienced, so I'd like some advice on a few (okay, a lot of) things before I jump in properly and actually play my first game.

Terminology
Here's a list of all of the terminology and meanings I've picked up on so far - Is there anything I'm missing? Are any of my descriptions incorrect?

Top - Topmost lane in a map
Mid - Middle lane in a map
Bottom (Bot) - Bottom lane in a map
Carry - Character that starts off very weak and needs to be heavily supported, but snowballs in strength as they get the necessary items and skills, eventually being able to carry the team to victory
Jungling - The act of defeating the various special NPCs that live outside of lanes for bonus rewards
Push - Pushing offensively towards an enemy tower
Last Hitting - The act of hitting a minion (creep?) or enemy last in order to gain bonus rewards
Brush - Grass areas that make anyone who is unmoving inside them invisible.

Champions
Below is a list of the champions that I'm interested in in descending order from most interesting to least (but still interested in). Can anyone recommend a specific one for me that would be good for starting out?

• Leona
  • Kayle
  • Taric
  • Vi
  • Blitzcrank
  • Talon
  • Shen
  • Nautilus
  • Aatrox

If anyone has any suggestions other than the above which would be significantly better, I'm happy to hear them, but would prefer to try and learn the game with a champion that I like so I won't have to go through an annoying transition after picking up the basics.

General Gameplay Questions
What determines what lane each player should be in?
Is there some specific rule about lanes and archetypes of character? (example - carries always go mid?)
Is there a difference between the lanes? do certain ones spawn more minions, or is it just a meta thing which makes things easier to manage if certain champions go in certain lanes?
What is the full definition of jungling? I'm a little hazy on this.
Are item builds strictly followed because they've been determined to be the best for that character, or are they loose and adaptive as the match or opposition changes?
Similar question for skills - Do I need to follow set build guides or is it better to take what I need?
Should I practice for a few matches against bots before I hop into a real game, and if so, should I use the co-operative against bots option, or would I still be out of my league there?
I've read there's a way to have a private match with me and just bots. Is that still possible, and if so, is it preferable?
How useful is the brush? Are there any example uses outside of setting up an ambush?
Can someone define the various roles and what they're needed for? I know of carry (although not the difference between the subcategories) and support, but there's surely more than that.
I sort of get the runes and masteries systems, in that they're meta bonuses that can be applied to all champions in an RPG-like way, but what determines what is good for each champion, and do I have to keep a page for each one I play?
When is it wise to use the recall spell?
Similar question, but for ultimate skill. I assume this varies by character.
Should I watch some streams to see how other people play, or would it all be way over my head at the minute and therefore pointless?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any help.

Newt

You pretty much got all the terms right. Just make sure you know that jungling includes ganking and lane presence.

Anyways for the questions.

1. There is no real forced lanes that you have to be in. Just know that the support and adc should always be in the same lane. Usually the support and adc will go bot, because having 2 people controlling dragon is safer the just one. If some teams want, they can have a solo lane vs adc support combo to end laning phase fast and go straight to teamfights.
2. They all have equal minions, but shape is different. This makes some lanes harder to gank and some easier.
3. Addressed above.
4. Item builds are fully variable, especially defensive options.
5. Play some bot matches first.
6. No, just search in matchmaking. No real advantages of having a private match.
7. Bushes are really useful for escaping as well as ambushing.
8. Each champions has a description on them, ie pusher, tank etc You can look up what this means on the league site I think.
9. Rune pages can work for multiple champions. One rune page I use for 10 champions.
10. When your lane is pushed, and you need items. Or when your health is low.
11. Streamers are good to watch, they'll give you the basic strategy of the champion.

That should cover it. Also, Taric is a really good choice for new players.

Boken

Banned
I love helping new people

Will reply when I get home

But to start off, you should play some easy coop games just to get the hang of the controls, the

Ferga

I completely disagree with your jungling definition.

A jungler is someone who has early control over the entire map. S/he controls the timing of objectives and has the power to support and end a lane at the time s/he sees fit.

I can go on for ages with the jungling role but I won't since a lot of the references will not be understood

makako

Neo Member

Generally speaking, I want to play this game, but am very inexperienced, so I'd like some advice on a few (okay, a lot of) things before I jump in properly and actually play my first game.

Terminology
Here's a list of all of the terminology and meanings I've picked up on so far - Is there anything I'm missing? Are any of my descriptions incorrect?

Top - Topmost lane in a map
Mid - Middle lane in a map
Bottom (Bot) - Bottom lane in a map
Carry - Character that starts off very weak and needs to be heavily supported, but snowballs in strength as they get the necessary items and skills, eventually being able to carry the team to victory
Jungling - The act of defeating the various special NPCs that live outside of lanes for bonus rewards
Push - Pushing offensively towards an enemy tower
Last Hitting - The act of hitting a minion (creep?) or enemy last in order to gain bonus rewards
Brush - Grass areas that make anyone who is unmoving inside them invisible.

Champions
Below is a list of the champions that I'm interested in in descending order from most interesting to least (but still interested in). Can anyone recommend a specific one for me that would be good for starting out?

• Leona
  • Kayle
  • Taric
  • Vi
  • Blitzcrank
  • Talon
  • Shen
  • Nautilus
  • Aatrox

If anyone has any suggestions other than the above which would be significantly better, I'm happy to hear them, but would prefer to try and learn the game with a champion that I like so I won't have to go through an annoying transition after picking up the basics.

General Gameplay Questions
Is there some specific rule about lanes and archetypes of character? (example - carries always go mid?)
Is there a difference between the lanes? do certain ones spawn more minions, or is it just a meta thing which makes things easier to manage if certain champions go in certain lanes?
Are item builds strictly followed because they've been determined to be the best for that character, or are they loose and adaptive as the match or opposition changes?
Similar question for skills - Do I need to follow set build guides or is it better to take what I need?
Should I practice for a few matches against bots before I hop into a real game, and if so, should I use the co-operative against bots option, or would I still be out of my league there?
I've read there's a way to have a private match with me and just bots. Is that still possible, and if so, is it preferable?
How useful is the brush? Are there any example uses outside of setting up an ambush?
Can someone define the various roles and what they're needed for? I know of carry (although not the difference between the subcategories) and support, but there's surely more than that.
I sort of get the runes and masteries systems, in that they're meta bonuses that can be applied to all champions in an RPG-like way, but what determines what is good for each champion, and do I have to keep a page for each one I play?
Should I watch some streams to see how other people play, or would it all be way over my head at the minute and therefore pointless?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any help.

ok... i'll go slowly...
First of all let me introduce myself..
I'm TPX makak0. I play on brazil server. I'm main support. That's enough for now...
Now, first things first...
you want the terms ? you got the terms

now... about the champions you want to play with...hmm this is a kind of a hard part. When i first started playing i chose a role. There are 5 roles on league of legends. Top , mid , adc (attack damage carry) support and jungle. You should check them on youtube and see what you like most. Then find a character that does that role and that you find fun to play / like the style or anything. For a start is good to have a nice feeling upon your starter. Losts of champions you listed are supports so you could check a support gameplay. Always look for champions tutorials on youtube. They are really great and you'll clear the basics of what to do with the champion so you don't go full retard on lane.
On the first games you won't see a lot of people going into jungle because it seems as a hard lane / new players like to play dual top one mid dual bot... you'll get to it as you play.

You can also check newbie guides on mobafire (i don't like this website that much but the tutorials are ok )

now your questions ... (remember all my answer are based on my impression of the game and on that only. I have some experience on it but i'm not a pro. I've been playing ranked matches for a year or so now and i think i can help you with the basics. If you think you need any other help you can ask here or, if you like my tips, you can look for me personally. I'll be open to explain anything i can.)

It is a meta thing. Minions spawn equally between the three lanes but the meta is way different in each one of them.

There is a specific role. The jungler. Basically he uses the jungle creeps to level up. There are two important buffs on the jungle. Blue and Red (you can look for them if you're into jungle in any basic jungling tutorial)... his main business is ganking the other lanes, helping to kill enemies and saving allies when they're in trouble. A jungler is that guy that has to be in the right place at the right time.

Kind of both imo. There's a basic build you'll try to follow that adapts better with your champion but in some scenarios you'll like to rush one or another item in order to have advantage or stop enemy advantage on you.

The guides tells you what to get on a standard game. But if you feel like you should get a ability faster because that's the way you play and you can make it work. Great. Every champion has several ways to be played. So you can find one that suits you better and discuss if it'll ever work on competitive/ranked battles.

CO-op is a great way to start. You'll get the feel of how it is to play with another players and how they flame/enrage for nothing. and how better than you they are. When you think it's not funny to hit the bots (you'll get their movement pattern pretty quickly if you're smart) you go into pvp. The matchmaking is good so you won't get pro players when you start. Everybody will be tripping balls and playing with lock screen. Also. Train to play with the screen unlocked from the beginning. It's easier to addapt that way and you'll have one less problem in the future.

It's good to test a new champion for the first time, test your ping/internet connection and/or a new masteries/rune/item build. If you're doing none of those nor just want to skip 30 minutes of life, they're useless.

The brush is the most usefull things ever. It's not only for setting a trap but it's a game winner. A good trap can change a match history. When you're in a brush if a enemy hasn't warded it or is inside it (or some other skills that shows whatever's in the brush) you're invisible to your oponent and can set-up huge traps, get kills, conquer lanes and own the game.

Nope. Runes and masteries are early game helpers. They'll work around the first 10~20 minutes of game and that's about it. Most chars that share the same role use basic the same runes so you won't have a rune page per champ but mostly a rune page per strategy. e.g. i play thresh support and thresh adc. My thresh support has two rune pages. One for a aggressive style against weaker harass lane and a deffensive one if i think the lane will be aggressive. And another rune page for the adc, where i focus on damage and armor penetration.

The recall spell has no cooldown. So you can use it anytime you think you need to recover your health or to get some items. You'll get an idea where to recall or not depending on the game. If the harass is too intense you'll recall instead of dying because losing some of the lane is better than giving opponents a kill. If you're winning the lane you can wait for the opponent to recall and do it at the same time considering he'll come back with better items and can change the game. If he isn't recalling and you have enough money to build something strong in one go (rush an item) you can recall. But this depends on which lane you are / how that lane is working at the game and (if you're doing a duo on the lane) the other character can hold it alone for a sec. while you recall.

Always watch streams. Always. Even when you think you're pro you can see someone doing some plays you never thought. Or you can reconsider what they did by paying attention. Also you can see what they're building and how they're playing the char and get what you think you can use to yourself. Always try to understand how other people play with the champion you play and you might find a even better meta for it.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
usually you ask for a lane you're interested in playing, you and your team will... "discuss" who wants to go where and when your roll is decided upon you then pick a character suited for that lane.

No, there's an exception for everything. mid is typically where mana dependant APC's go because it is always next to the blue buff. but if you're blue side with a kat mid and a ryze top, it makes sense for ryze or the jungler to take the buff instead.

that said, there are general suggestions for each position.
apc's go mid.
adc/support go bot.
bruisers/tanks go top.
masochistic players go jungle.

but you can play a bruiser mid, or take adc/support top, etc, etc. it depends.

mid is shorter than the side lanes, is open on both sides and has no bushes close enough to the waves to be used in the lane.

a jungler is a player who roams between all three lanes and attempts to sneak in for a 2v1/3v2 surprise kill. in the time between these ganks, he's also the guy who will try to protect your tower if you recall in a bad spot or die. He's called the jungler because part of his job is keeping control of the neutral creeps he will be farming and protecting his/securing enemy buffs/majour objectives.

both. mostly the first one though in that the items that synergize the best with your kit will be fairly static, but it will still be helpful to pick up defensive items based on whats happening in your game. ie: armour/MR/tenacity/QSS/GA picking up penetration in response to defensive stacking can be nice too.

i'm sure there are some champions that always take the same skill order no matter what because that's just how they are [looking at you vayne], but it can be dependent on circumstance. you should read the rationale behind the skill orders being proposed and weigh it against the benefit you perceive you can gain elsewhere.

example: riven almost always maxes Q first and thats what most guides will recommend, but against someone like jayce, some people like to take E. [i know boxbox does this]

do whatever you want. I went straight into pvp after the tutorial, it's entirely up to you.

it's a great way to practice last hitting and familiarize yourself with a champion.

if you step into the brush while an enemy Fiora is ulting you, it will cancel.

adc - literally the most useless champions in the game, can never accomplish anything until you've spent 20 minutes babysitiing them so they'll have enough gold to even compete. then they act like you should be thankful that they're finally doing their job. Mute them at the first sign of backtalk.

support - resident overlords of botlane, talk to them if you're mid or jungle and you need something done on that side of the map.

mid - typically roaming assassin's, team fight specialists or back up carries.

jungle - nowadays they're mostly utility oriented high CC champions. they roam the map securing objectives and helping lanes in need. be nice to them because they are a suffering people.

top - bruisers/tanks that usually mind their own business unless they're losing, then they blame the jungler in all chat. in teamfights they're usually there to dive enemy carries or protect your carries. relatively fluid position actually.

you dont need a page for every champion. the runes that are typically most popular are very general. AD/AP/armour/magic resist/etc. an ad page can be used on everybody and while it might not be perfectly efficient everywhere, it's still useful.

when your most recent wave of minions reach or are going to reach the enemy tower.
when you'd die if you stay in lane.
when you have enough gold to buy something scary.

when it will kill someone or keep you or a teammate from dying.

there are streams for many different levels of play. i didnt start watching lol until recently, but if you think it will help and you have fun watching, go for it!

TL;DR maybe.

PS: im bad at league. if someone posts something contradictory to what i say, lean towards them.

Generally speaking, I want to play this game, but am very inexperienced, so I'd like some advice on a few (okay, a lot of) things before I jump in properly and actually play my first game...

Whilst a lot of what you've touched on is important nothing is better than actually playing the game, and by playing, i mean you won't even be competitive until around the 100 wins mark IMO. Just accept the fact now you will feed, you will go 0/13 some games, you will also never ward and, eventually, you will pull off a Keyes turn. You'll get your first killing streak etc. As a pretty heavy gamer, i'd say LoL is the only game i've played where you do need to play the game to get better. I'm close to 1K games in (probably more lol) and still learning new stuff/approaches.

I'd probably knock playing bot games on the head as well. It's usually full of everyone doing their own thing and so becomes useless for both trying out new champs/team compositions and new builds.

so what to do in ranked:

i play adc, very safe, outfarm, get 1-2 kills no death.

top, mid, jungle lose lane, give up 5 kills each.

20 min in, TF start and i have no chance since akalis and such 1 hit me because they have 6-10 kills.

makako

Neo Member
so what to do in ranked:

i play adc, very safe, outfarm, get 1-2 kills no death.

top, mid, jungle lose lane, give up 5 kills each.

20 min in, TF start and i have no chance since akalis and such 1 hit me because they have 6-10 kills.

elo hell ? If so you're doomed. Welcome to real life.... I recommend going duo and playing in two different lanes (you and your friend) so you can at least hold mid and bot (for example)... this is the best way to do it on solo/queue... or just find a team and never play solo/queue ever again.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
elo hell doesn't exist.

That said, iunno. it'd help if Diprosalic posted his lolking so we could take a look at some of his info. The short answer is that you just wont climb in ranked unless you be the difference. if you're not the reason your team won, you cant rightly expect that you deserve the win. if you go even in lane or +1-2 kills and do okay in team fights, then it's going to take many,. many, many games for those small advantages to add up and push your rank higher. if you go +1-2 and cant handle team fights, then you're just not going to climb at all because your slight strength is going to be equaled out by your weakness.

All that said, people who blame their circumstances on all the other lanes consistently losing usually overestimate their own skill. the only thing all your games have in common is you.

makako

Neo Member
elo hell doesn't exist.

That said, iunno. it'd help if Diprosalic posted his lolking so we could take a look at some of his info. The short answer is that you just wont climb in ranked unless you be the difference. if you're not the reason your team won, you cant rightly expect that you deserve the win. if you go even in lane or +1-2 kills and do okay in team fights, then it's going to take many,. many, many games for those small advantages to add up and push your rank higher. if you go +1-2 and cant handle team fights, then you're just not going to climb at all because your slight strength is going to be equaled out by your weakness.

All that said, people who blame their circumstances on all the other lanes consistently losing usually overestimate their own skill.

i don't think i can agree with that. It's just the play style that i disagree. Mostly because i play support and i don't think one single char is the reason a team wins a well balanced ranked match. It's the teamwork on tf's that do. But that's just my humble opinion... and elo hell exists. and it's way deeper when you main support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom