• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT4| No Country for Old Karma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenai

Have you tried Zyra mid? I never see anyone playing her mid. I'm not sure how viable she is considered to be, but I think her kit is really fun.

Zyra mid isn't bad, but it's not particularly good either. There's not a whole lot of toons she is a "counterpick" for so she doesn't see much play mid, especially since she can build damage late game anyway. Her passive is also terrible for laning but is somewhat more threatening (although still bad) in a 2 v 2.

Not at all saying that Janna and Ashe are terrible, hell, I play Ashe when I ADC, but it's just that those seem to be the champs that people own for those roles if they don't play them very much.

Almost everyone owns Tristana. I think more people probably own Sona or Soraka as their only support rather than Janna.

drawkcaB

Zyra mid isn't bad, but it's not particularly good either. There's not a whole lot of toons she is a "counterpick" for so she doesn't see much play mid, especially since she can build damage late game anyway. Her passive is also terrible for laning but is somewhat more threatening (although still bad) in a 2 v 2.

I think she's very strong, personally. It's true she's not an exceptional counterpick to anyone, but neither are mids like Orianna and Lux. While they have certain match-ups where they have the advantage, they counterpick mainly through the excellent utility they bring. Same goes for Zyra.

Zyra's actual problem, IMO, is that lots of damage is trapped in her plants and to use her plants to the fullest you need to AA to ensure proper targeting. This brings her into range of popular assassin/dive champs who are also played mid, as opposed to Lux and Ori who benefit from AAs but don't see their damage so dramatically reduced if they have to play safe in the back.

I'm thinking of making some AutoHotkey scripts for chat macros, but I've also occasionally seen people with more complex software that can track when buffs/dragon/baron are killed and when they will return.

What programs do people use? I've just found "LoL Jungle Timer Deluxe". It looks like it simply starts its own timer parallel to the game so it can feed info to hotkey macros.

Also, are these types of programs considered legal? Would I risk being banned using them?

I lose lane as Darius so hard but i come back to carry lategame. just played the most unbelievable game.

i love this champion

I kinda hope skarner gets more play. he's an interesting champ for sure, and he's got one of the coolest skins in the game imo. Earthrune skarner OP.

Really hope Rift gets a VU. The champs are as big as the trees!

Hopefully nothing too good though, there's a whole legion of people out there playing on crappy laptops.

Edit: Does anyone have any tips for laning against Jax as Darius? Both times I've played against him I've lost terribly.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Tentative Skarner changes

Biggest one is that Skarner gets his ASPD buff from proccing E, which is a pretty massive buff.
Most frustrating aspect playing against Skarner for me is that once he's got you in the permaslow it doesn't feel like there is any good counterplay/way to escape.
Fuck off Riot. Stop ruining my champions.
-Remove attack speed from the W buff
Oh my god wow. How dumb...

Skarner is a worse duelist than J4/Zac...I don't even understand.

XeroSauce

Nothing they do will make him as good as Jarvan/Zac/Elise/any other popular jungler other they unless they make his numbers OP. His kit isn't suited to the current playstyles and his ult is busted.

dimb

Nothing they do will make him as good as Jarvan/Zac/Elise/any other popular jungler other they unless they make his numbers OP. His kit isn't suited to the current playstyles and his ult is busted.
There is still value to Skarner and he is still a strong champion. Not every champion needs to be reworked. Skarner was extremely popular but fell off due to being overnerfed. If Riot is willing to admit his winrate is below 50% all they really have to do is revert the ridiculous cooldown on his shield. That alone would make a huge difference. They need to take the same baby steps with buffing kits that they do with nerfing them.

They also need to be careful with junglers. Season four is still a long way off but it will undoubtedly bring many changes to the jungle. Retooling champions to make them compatible with something that will be obsolete lacks foresight.

The question, "What don't you like when playing against champion X" should just not be asked. Skarner's lockdown is core to his kit. Champions shouldn't be robbed of their strength and unique aspects to push them into operating like every other champion. The assertion that there is no counterplay to Skarner's slow is absurd.

Skarner's lockdown is core to his kit.
Apparently his ult is more core to his kit.

RiotScruffy the Janitor said:
Another thing to keep in mind, Skarner has very low play rate and sub 50% win rate right now. There is no intention of nerfing him.
Losing the permaslow and shifting the aspd buff to Fracture sure sounds like a nerf.

Ferga

Problem: He loses his MSPD and ASPD when his shield breaks (aka almost immediately).

Not a big issue while inside the jungle, but an issue in fights.

But even when skarner was good, people wouldn't even level his E until they had to because everything was in his W and Q.

Just seems like a hassle to put a point into a skill for dueling capabilities when you could have a larger shield and be more tanky.

dimb

You eat some weird lobsters, man.
i only eat calamari.
What if they increase the range on skarners ultimate

itll be worth it

FEEL MY STING
not worth.

Apparently his ult is more core to his kit.

Losing the permaslow and shifting the aspd buff to Fracture sure sounds like a nerf.
the lack of understanding when people are polled like that hurts. it's pointless without someone knowledgeable curating the responses. the ult is the identifiable part of skarner's kit but the true power lies in his passive, movespeed, and aoe damage/slow.

problem with moving the attack speed is that fracture would still be worthless. skarner's mana problems put a capper on ability usage, so having to use an extra ability just to function properly is a nightmare. having to proc something for attackspeed also makes it much harder to push turrets, which is another of skarner's strengths.

Kenai

Zyra's actual problem, IMO, is that lots of damage is trapped in her plants and to use her plants to the fullest you need to AA to ensure proper targeting. This brings her into range of popular assassin/dive champs who are also played mid, as opposed to Lux and Ori who benefit from AAs but don't see their damage so dramatically reduced if they have to play safe in the back.

I'd say that's part of the reason, but yea. Zyra's utility (bulb brushchecking, plant tanking jungle mobs, snare and knockups) are not really reliant on her damage. There's also the idea that her plants give a little extra gold once last-hit, although it's not much.

I really think Zyra would see more play if her passive were better.

Boken

Banned
the lack of understanding when people are polled like that hurts. it's pointless without someone knowledgeable curating the responses. the ult is the identifiable part of skarner's kit but the true power lies in his passive, movespeed, and aoe damage/slow.

doesnt that mean that more power should be moved away from the random elements and put into his ult??

450 range targeted suppress + pull
AW YEAH

skarners back

I'd say that's part of the reason, but yea. Zyra's utility (bulb brushchecking, plant tanking jungle mobs, snare and knockups) are not really reliant on her damage. There's also the idea that her plants give a little extra gold once last-hit, although it's not much.

it was too good at some point - but this is as a support anyway.

i think when she dies she should release a bunch of plants around her

dimb

doesnt that mean that more power should be moved away from the random elements and put into his ult??
the most random thing about skarner is whether or not his ult will go off. he shouldn't be a champion who revolves around his ultimate.

AdventChild

Neo Member
Yes, it is true: Riot throws you bad players when you're next to promo, and the absolute worst when you're in promo.

Oh well. Keep trying until I don't get a wooden-score team I guess.

TRUE. FACKING TRUE.

Series to Bronze 1, Riot ads a lolking.net non-rating teammate (1 win - 3 lose ranked games, 140 wins normal). GG WP.

dimb

but his ult defines him, and yet all his power is in his synergy
this is just dumb. i don't know what else to say. putting more power into skarner's ultimate won't make him more fun to play or play against. people would still be able to jump out of it even if you threw 100 range on it, which is the real frustration, not the reach on it.

if riot is genuinely interested in introducing big changes to skarner they should lower the shield cooldown and just dump the E ability. not only is it not particularly useful right now but even if its values were changed it doesn't differentiate itself enough from his q. something more impactful with a long cooldown would be neat to see. like imagine if skarner had some kind of underground burrow. that would be neat.

like imagine if skarner had some kind of underground burrow.
Sand_King.png

Hold up, tough guy. There's only room for one burrowing scorpion.

Have you tried Zyra mid? I never see anyone playing her mid. I'm not sure how viable she is considered to be, but I think her kit is really fun.

I love playing Zyra, period. Whether that is mid or support.

As mentioned by others you've got to lay it on the table for a secured kill with her mid, that's her only problem, and this problem doubles if the other mid has decent range and/or a gap closer (read: Zed/Diana). She's also quite expensive to build, slow and her E isn't really an escape IMO.

She's also pretty mana heavy and if your jungler isn't giving you the second blue then you'll have problems if theirs does. But if you do get it and you pull off some moves then getting that first kill in mid tends to turn you into a machine mid and then an absolute match winner in terms off CC mid to late game.

I'd even say a fun aspect of her is after playing her since release, i still don't have a go to build. I'm always experimenting.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Zyra mid is boat loads of fun, the only matchups i dislike are talon and kassadin and even kassadin can be made manageable. Her damage and utility is the perfect combination to patch up holes in your teams play and carry games. she's great.

i can think of only one soloq game where i played mid zyra and didnt carry more than my weight and that was a 4v5.

Ghost23

Played my first two games as Ezreal last night with some buddies. He is really fun to play! The first time I went for the normal adc dps build, and the second time I had more of a blue build. We won both times so it went pretty well!

Azulsky

Just remember to get something that does damage after you get tear.

I had an blue Ezrael start dorans blade then build ToG + Sheen. Twice I had perfect combo's as Nami with R + Q and he could not kill either the enemy blitz or varus. At least he died with full mana!

I prefer the Tear then Bloodthirster build order out of the different blue Ezraels I have seen.

In other news Riot has apparently ruined some peoples ping by fixing other issues. Mine is floating between 180-300 when it was 60 a week ago. Ran traceroutes to their servers with the batch script they put out. Looks like its back to ARAMs for now!

garath

Trying to learn Varus as my second fallback adc when Trist is picked or I need one with more initiation.

Probuilds is all over the place. Seems like you can build him BT, IE or botrk first. I see some shiv, some PD, even a ruanaan's (lol).

Leveling is varied too. maplestreet goes Q->W->E, others go Q->E->W, Cpt Jack goes E->Q->W.

Thoughts? Personally I'm leaning toward Q->W->E. Q for the long range poke, W for the passive increase in damage and leave E for the slow and blight proc. Maxing Q would want to go BT first for the great AD scaling too.

Azulsky

I think he has too much AD scaling on abilities to go Botrk first.

I have always preferred a BT --> LW --> AS on him.

You could do the Genja ToG build!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!? lol

Blizzard

Banned
Maybe Riot will change Skarner's R.

"To make the ult feel valuable and add more strategic choices for Skarner players, ult cooldown increased to 300 seconds. Suppression time reduced to 0.5 seconds. Will randomly not work at all, but still go on cooldown."

watching Froggen's stream and there was a Rengar on his team.

There was a fight at baron and Rengar ulted, and a Rengar face icon appeared over an enemy's head.

Isn't that supposed to be what they're doing for the rework, or is this something I haven't noticed before that was there all along?

Weird.

Edit: it was this icon that Xelnath said was what it would look like

Ocho

I don't really see the benefit to maxing Q over E.

My logic is that with Q you can hit 2-3 champs in a teamfight, therefore more damage. In lane sometimes the burst damage from a Q > the damage over time from 3xE (especially against champions with escapes). I will try maxing E second, though.

drawkcaB

Passive was nerfed because of support Zyra, so ain't gonna happen. I think she needs a bit more damage on Q, like 255 @ level 5. 235 on a 5 second CD is low even after considering that it bulbs her ranged plants. That sort of buff wouldn't help support Zyra out much since they level E first (I think? Been a while since I played SR).

Boken said:
i think when she dies she should release a bunch of plants around her

Oh god I love this so much. Would help her against assassin counterpicks. Like, yes I'm at a disadvantage, but when you dive me you'd better make it count.

Garath said:
Thoughts? Personally I'm leaning toward Q->W->E. Q for the long range poke, W for the passive increase in damage and leave E for the slow and blight proc. Maxing Q would want to go BT first for the great AD scaling too.

Change depending on match-up? Maxing Q against Ez or Vayne sounds like a waste. I'd rather go E against them. Have a jungler who ganks early and often (e.g. Lee Sin) or a jungler that likes a setup before going in (Udyr)? Max E for the slow field. Feel that laning is going to be passive? Max W first for easier last hitting. Choosing what to level second is also situational. Need poke? Q. A few opponents are stacking HP? W. Team needs more CC? E.

(Love Varus, so damn flexible)

Boken said:
why does a scorpion permaslow people anyway?

I'm in the same boat. I love permaslowing people, but I don't think it suits a scorpion, even a magic one from an ancient race that was awakened. My personal preference would be to remove the permaslow on Q and give him a low-ish CD snare or stun on his E. I've been toying with the thought that he could only pull a snared/stunned target as well. Seems like it would open up more counterplay so you could put more power in his ult or elsewhere on his kit.

I don't think moving the ASPD on E is a nerf either, not necessarily a buff though. The Red also said he'd look at increasing the shield, reducing the CD, and increasing the MS buff crystal shield gives as well as increasing the damage on E while dropping that ability's heal (which is wasted power because without AP it does nothing). So if I manage to proc the ASPD buff on E, it'll last the full duration as opposed to breaking with the shield, that means more AAs. That means more synergy with his passive, reducing the CD on W - which is stronger and on a lower CD anyways. That translates into more shield uptime. The downside is that he's more easily kitted - if he can't get into range to proc the ASPD marks from E, then he's out of luck.

garath

Change depending on match-up? Maxing Q against Ez or Vayne sounds like a waste. I'd rather go E against them. Have a jungler who ganks early and often (e.g. Lee Sin) or a jungler that likes a setup before going in (Udyr)? Max E for the slow field. Feel that laning is going to be passive? Max W first for easier last hitting. Choosing what to level second is also situational. Need poke? Q. A few opponents are stacking HP? W. Team needs more CC? E.

(Love Varus, so damn flexible)

Makes perfect sense. One of those rare champs where he has flexible level paths instead of a clear cut 1 point wonder skill.

what's the word on the new ADC, the longer i think about his ult the less i like him. still i buy every new adc and then never play them.

Me too. lol. I'm going to even buy the bundle just for the Matrix recall skin. sigh.

dimb

My logic is that with Q you can hit 2-3 champs in a teamfight, therefore more damage. In lane sometimes the burst damage from a Q > the damage over time from 3xE (especially against champions with escapes). I will try maxing E second, though.
Yeah, I understand that sort of thinking actually. As a player damage is a pretty low priority when I am playing support so I usually gear towards as much CC as possible. Maxed E has a lot of potential for chasing and kiting that only really becomes more apparent with points invested into the ability, so I wind up seeing the bubble as a one point wonder kind of ability.

Also with Nami I usually feel like I have to open with bubble when I engage, so the surprise damage of it might not show up very often in practice for me. I could still see that sort of thing being useful though.
what's the word on the new ADC, the longer i think about his ult the less i like him. still i buy every new adc and then never play them.
He will probably be really good if his numbers and abilities stay close to what they were on the PBE.

Playing Teemo is such a guilty pleasure. I love splitpushing. :( Once I get my Hurricane it's happy fun times.

Starting to dig bruisery builds more (BorK, Mallet, Wits).

drawkcaB

I need to play him more myself. Ult and the way his passive works with the rest of his kit are cool but I found both his skillshots (Q and W?) really clunky to use. Last time I bought a clunky ADC was Quinn...and yeah I don't like Quinn. I dunno, I already have 5 ADCs I like, and I already play them so little, so there wasn't enough in Lucian to make me think I needed to have another. I'll try him again on during free week on Live to get a better feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom