• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT4| No Country for Old Karma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously I don't even play League and Hydra is a fucking incredible item.

I'm surprised the heroes that built Blade of the Ruined King for the nuke don't build Hydra for the exact same reason.

Boken

Banned
Seriously I don't even play League and Hydra is a fucking incredible item.

I'm surprised the heroes that built Blade of the Ruined King for the nuke don't build Hydra for the exact same reason.

in theory, hydra sounds good but its like, relatively 30% more expensive than bfury in a game where melee have negative scaling due to the tonnes of damage flying around and where you have to actively build + damage to deal damage.

Updating to 3.10

TIME TO GET HYPED FOR NEW YI

Also managed to have a joke last match with AP Yi when the servers accidentally went back up a few hours ago:
iz6RTPViBXf03.jpg

AP YI AND AP YORICK, TOP LANE FRIENDS FOR LYFE.

Ferga

I really like this patch. Removal of bulwark and reduced cost of aegis is glorious. I can't see every jungler building it now.

Back to supports you go, you sonuvabitch item.

And banshees is so delicious.

Earlier frozen gauntlet on my udyr perhaps?.... Mmmmmm.......... mmmmmm..... so deliciously perfect........

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
in theory, hydra sounds good but its like, relatively 30% more expensive than bfury in a game where melee have negative scaling due to the tonnes of damage flying around and where you have to actively build + damage to deal damage.

stop making up words.

garath

I really like this patch. Removal of bulwark and reduced cost of aegis is glorious. I can't see every jungler building it now.

Back to supports you go, you sonuvabitch item.

And banshees is so delicious.

Earlier frozen gauntlet on my udyr perhaps?.... Mmmmmm.......... mmmmmm..... so deliciously perfect........

It will be so nice not to have to insta buy Aegis after bulwark on 90% of the junglers.

Ferga

I honestly don't believe bulwark was ever a good item for junglers outside of nautilus (more defense=longer duration on shield=more damage and survivability). I only play jungle and there have been instances where I would just skip it if the enemy apc isn't a threat anymore. I much rather get a spirit visage and an omen/sunfire cape to actually tank and disrupt the enemy team instead of being an aura bot who melts in the hands of decently farmed adcs.

It was forced onto them because it was an item that every team needed and little to no top laners could really benefit from it during laning phase. The meta changed and supports rarely buy any items outside of philo, sightstone, oracles and more wards to help the team with the aggressive pushing of towers.

mercviper

mundo has no mobility but can gank decently before six.

I still don't know what you're trying to say. You can't just compare other champions that are soft cc only because there are different kits for each one. So let's just look at skarner. What are we arguing? Skarner is a bad ganker pre-6?

If so, you know what the only difference is between pre-6 skarner and post-6? He gains a hard cc. You still prime Q the same way, and gank in similar patterns to pre-6, so I don't think it's valid to say that he's bad because of the added 'complexity' of having to prime Q. If that were a bigger reason than the kit of a champion, then you should consider Mundo bad too because he has to wait to gank in between waves to reduce the number of minions that can block his cleavers.

Ghost23

Man, I am going to stick with the basic ADC build on ezreal until I get the hang of him. The blue build is very tough if you are even slightly behind - it's so expensive.

scy

I still don't know what you're trying to say. You can't just compare other champions that are soft cc only because there are different kits for each one. So let's just look at skarner. What are we arguing? Skarner is a bad ganker pre-6?

If so, you know what the only difference is between pre-6 skarner and post-6? He gains a hard cc. You still prime Q the same way, and gank in similar patterns to pre-6, so I don't think it's valid to say that he's bad because of the added 'complexity' of having to prime Q. If that were a bigger reason than the kit of a champion, then you should consider Mundo bad too because he has to wait to gank in between waves to reduce the number of minions that can block his cleavers.

Honestly, soft-CC / hard-CC is all irrelevant for ganking. Having either is fine for the most part (though, clearly, stuns/knockups/fear/whatever is a lot better than just a slow). It's the delivery system that matters. Skarner's pre-6 ganks are fine/good if he can get in there and "help I'm a lobster why you do this to me?!" if he can't.

I much rather get a spirit visage and an omen/sunfire cape to actually tank and disrupt the enemy team instead of being an aura bot who melts in the hands of decently farmed adcs.

Well I mean, yeah, of course an Aura item is less effective than selfish ones. That's part of the point. But I always found it weird to have Bulwark on Junglers that were diving teams instead of staying back. You know, where everyone is out of the range of it. Though, I do suppose it's a rather large range at ~1100.

Finally got to lvl 30 last week. Havn't bothered starting ranked yet as I have been playing other things bar the odd game of ARAM.

However I only really have my support rune page complete. might wait till I finish my jungle and AP ones before I try.

What are the first placement matches like? as bad as normal draft pick games?

Just downloaded LoL last night. I hope I like it. Will have to check some getting started guides or whatever.

Just accept the fact that the chat window in the bottom left will stream abuse for most the game and mentally filter it out. Do that and you can enjoy this game. Its a really good and deep competitive game. Just has a pretty terrible community but thats free to play for you.

Blizzard

Banned
You know what's really next-level? Playing Thresh and hooking a minion next to their champ (assuming you can't grab the champ), flying over anyway, flailing and nailing. Did it three times in a game yesterday and every time Cait didn't move.

Admittedly the first one was to save face but now it's a legitimate technique.
I had a Thresh support the other day who dropped lantern on or near one of us, then dived onto the enemy champion with the chain, and THEN I REALIZED HE HAD LEFT THE LANTERN SO I COULD FOLLOW UP AS THE ADC.

It was so next-level and almost-tactical that I barely recovered in time to use it.

Ferga

Well I mean, yeah, of course an Aura item is less effective than selfish ones. That's part of the point. But I always found it weird to have Bulwark on Junglers that were diving teams instead of staying back. You know, where everyone is out of the range of it. Though, I do suppose it's a rather large range at ~1100.

Yeah I know that but what I'm trying to say is that junglers were forced to buy it because the stats were too good for the team as a whole but it sucked for junglers especially since they are usually the front line. Bulwark and ancient golem was usually all jungles could get during mid game. Those 2 weren't enough for you to actually tank a decently farmed carry or a cc heavy team.

scy

Yeah I know that but what I'm trying to say is that junglers were forced to buy it because the stats were too good for the team as a whole but it sucked for junglers especially since they are usually the front line. Bulwark and ancient golem was usually all jungles could get during mid game. Those 2 weren't enough for you to actually tank a decently farmed carry or a cc heavy team.

No, I agree with you for the most part. An unfortunate part of defensive aura items as opposed to utility items, really.

drawkcaB

It will be so nice not to have to insta buy Aegis after bulwark on 90% of the junglers.

Amen brother.

This damn patch. It's going to take me a few hours to clean up my custom item sets.

Ferga said:
honestly don't believe bulwark was ever a good item for junglers outside of nautilus (more defense=longer duration on shield=more damage and survivability).

There's a few more who really wanted it, but I agree. Bulwark rushing was mostly something out of people copying pro builds. I personally love the change to Aegis/Locket. I need to try out a Golem/Thornmail/Banshees combo on my tank junglers, just to see how well thornmail synergies now with the new passive health regen on banshees.

Also, really like what I'm seeing with the Skarner changes. The slow also sounds great, really heavy and decaying over 3 seconds. I was hoping they'd did ditch the slow and make it a snare (i.e. next auto against marked target snares, consumes all applied marks) but a really like strong decaying slows from a gameplay standpoint - excellent CC that can be escaped with flash/dash/blink.

I don't see the big deal at all with removing slow on Q. Want it back? Build Iceborn Gauntlet. Scorpion loves Iceborn Gauntlet.

mercviper

Honestly, soft-CC / hard-CC is all irrelevant for ganking. Having either is fine for the most part (though, clearly, stuns/knockups/fear/whatever is a lot better than just a slow). It's the delivery system that matters. Skarner's pre-6 ganks are fine/good if he can get in there and "help I'm a lobster why you do this to me?!" if he can't.

My point is that having a hard cc does a lot for skarner's gank. Stripping away the relevance of hard and soft ccs makes this a more general discussion about all gankers and the paths used to approach ganks instead of focusing on what the champion can do once they've engaged beyond this point, in this case Skarner.

Newt

Finally got to lvl 30 last week. Havn't bothered starting ranked yet as I have been playing other things bar the odd game of ARAM.

However I only really have my support rune page complete. might wait till I finish my jungle and AP ones before I try.

What are the first placement matches like? as bad as normal draft pick games?
I found my placement matches to be really one sided and short. Someone on either side usually feeds.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I brought up Mundo because he is someone who can be scary in a gank, not because of his mobility but just because he can keep up a seemingly persistent slow on players if he is landing cleavers. Mundo is a significantly better ganker than Skarner pre-six, and it has nothing to do with types of CC or whatever but it's because his slow is reliable and there immediately when he needs it. Skarner ganks are hard because the slow has to be primed, and the insinuation that he is easy or thoughtless to play seems silly to me. There is still lots in terms of positioning that needs to be maintained with Skarner even once you get a slow going. Trying to be predictive of enemy paths and stay ahead of them while keeping auto-attacks up feels natural to me at this point, but most of the player base is incapable of doing this, and even I can mess it up often.

i don't know why hard cc keeps getting brought up. of course an extra form of displacement and cc is going to help with a gank. for skarner the pull guarantees that he will be able to get the slow going though.

if you start comparing league of legends characters it is not like j4 or some other jungler with multilple forms of cc and "skillshots" is difficult. j4 is probably one of the easiest junglers in the entire game.

also, bulwark was broken as shit on stats for gold. if you were ever around teammates the value of it was insane, and it had a deceptive amount of power during pushes and seiges because of the massive benefit it gave to minions.

mercviper

Skarner ganks are hard because the slow has to be primed
Well I don't agree with that being the reason why Skarner ganks are hard. Having to prime Q doesn't put Skarner into another tier of difficulty for me when considering the majority of the champion pool. It may be an added factor but of all the things that contribute to Skarner being a terrible ganker pre-6 I think it's very minor.

, and the insinuation that he is easy or thoughtless to play seems silly to me. There is still lots in terms of positioning that needs to be maintained with Skarner even once you get a slow going. Trying to be predictive of enemy paths and stay ahead of them while keeping auto-attacks up feels natural to me at this point, but most of the player base is incapable of doing this, and even I can mess it up often.

I feel that if a player can create gank paths that get you close enough to start the slow chain going that this should be a simple matter for them as well. Position is also something that every champion considers heavily. Saying that you spend a lot time as Skarner making sure you're in the right place doesn't make him any harder to play than any other champion.

Edit: I don't even know why we're doing this. The crux of what I wanted to say at the very beginning was that I liked the changes. I like that E will actually be useful early and I like that I won't only be spamming Q the entire time when in combat. My opinion is very subjective and has nothing to do at all with your original statement where you said you didn't like that he was being changed because some complaints were loud enough they greased the wheels. I actually agree with that principle. There's plenty of ways to escape a Skarner Q spam and I didn't think it needed a change. Regardless, the change is happening and overall I do like the proposed changes so I wanted to be positive.

1v1 me scrublord.

I know you're hurt about Skarner, but don't be so mad bro.

Fiora shouldn't be winning at all. She longs for a worthy opponent... and she gets one every match.

You totally underestimate how much a Fiora player, at the same skill level as a GP player, will run over said GP player.

Like Fiora has issues with her kit but she does a fuck tonne of damage and literally shits on GP in pretty much every conceivable way. Unless the Fiora player is bad.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
can she parry parley?

because i can see that being hilarious.
She can. Haven't played the matchup but GP could all in level one easily or just push towards heavy survivability. I would be interested in practicing the matchup. So far the only thing I have really had trouble with is Irelia.

Kenai

The best thing about playing ranked is how I want to launch my team into the sun after every game. Bronze 1 4 lyfe apparently.

I started at Bronze 1, dropped to 3 with 0 points, went all the way back up to 1 and Silver placement, and dropped down to 3 again.

Sometimes I just can't

I
You totally underestimate how much a Fiora player, at the same skill level as a GP player, will run over said GP player.

Like Fiora has issues with her kit but she does a fuck tonne of damage and literally shits on GP in pretty much every conceivable way. Unless the Fiora player is bad.

Yea, I was matched with a Fiora who had a HORRIBLE laning phase and she still managed to snowball when they roaming began. She just dived their ADC every time and their peels were even worse than our team. GP was the only one who turned around and I'd hear the "An enemy has been slain!" before she even got back on screen (he was jungler, I dunno if that's a normal thing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom