• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT4| No Country for Old Karma

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I would have thought it was over various levels others how can it place you accurately?
It would start you at a base level and evaluate play from there I would imagine, scaling the intensity of its variation depending on how well you do against certain opponents.

Leezard

Placement matches difficulties are especially obvious when you play ranked 3's or 5's. If you win 3 or 4 in a row, you usually get a tough one in the end. The difficulty of placement matches scales hard if you win several in a row, while it slows down or goes back down to an easier level if you lose one or more in a row.

Essentially, the placements take your existing MMR and just gives a greater-than-normal K-value for adjustment. Basically, you play against similarly skilled people still but the gains are higher.

That high lvl one was prob about game 4. I imagin you bob up and down a bit through those 10 matches. Either way i was expecting worse after those terrible games lol.

Ashhong

Damn it feels good to have a good game. Countered myself by picking Ahri into Diana because, why not, and ended up going 7-0-9 for the game. Shut that Diana down early with Yi jungle, farmed, played defensively, and started roaming after taking the tower. Good shit

Blizzard

Banned
Essentially, the placements take your existing MMR and just gives a greater-than-normal K-value for adjustment. Basically, you play against similarly skilled people still but the gains are higher.
How is the K-value used? Are there any references that go over the math or general equations used for MMR, or is the K-value related to more general elo methods?

kSt

Placement matches difficulties are especially obvious when you play ranked 3's or 5's. If you win 3 or 4 in a row, you usually get a tough one in the end. The difficulty of placement matches scales hard if you win several in a row, while it slows down or goes back down to an easier level if you lose one or more in a row.

I haven't noticed any of that. I had a 9 win streak after the first unsuccessful placement game, and all players were playing their placements except the 9th game when me and another player got into silver-gold level ranked game. After winning that I thought that the last game will be even harder in terms of matchmaking, but it was a 100% placement players game again. I have lolnexus screens from all my games, will upload if someone is interested.

Leezard

I haven't noticed any of that. I had a 9 win streak after the first unsuccessful placement game, and all players were playing their placements except the 9th game when me and another player got into silver-gold level ranked game. After winning that I thought that the last game will be even harder in terms of matchmaking, but it was a 100% placement players game again. I have lolnexus screens from all my games, will upload if someone is interested.

I suppose the solo queue placement matches might work a bit different then, due to the large number of players. The first lost placement match might have slowed you down quite a bit though, especially if you faced unskilled players, though it would be a bit unreasonable if you won 9 games in a row after that. Sadly, I never played placement matches since I played in preseason, such that I got to start in Gold I once S3 started.

People can for certain be placed in Plat after placement, at least.

Blizzard

Banned

How is the K-value used? Are there any references that go over the math or general equations used for MMR, or is the K-value related to more general elo methods?

If anyone is morbidly curious, I did some googling on this, and the K-value or K-factor referred to is presumably the one that is used in the elo system. Does that mean Riot still uses an elo-esque system under the new MMR/league system? That's what I felt like was the case, and maybe that's also what lolking started doing with player ratings. Some random person on the LoL forums said "long story short MMR is an adaption of a ELO ranking system. There is some slight alterations made because this is a team based game. but very little has changed from when you could previously see your ELO." It's the internet, so I trust them. :p

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system, the K-factor affects how much you would gain or lose from a single loss, but if I'm reading it correctly, it seems that different games or leagues use different factors, and there is disagreement over what it should be, or should be affected by, for LoL. Presumably Riot has no interest in revealing it though, and they may have hidden even normal elo to try to stop people from judging other players based on the numbers (which obviously doesn't work since you get people raging about Silver V/Gold V/Platinum V etc. anyway).

For people who like math, some random links I ran across:
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2833822
http://forums.euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1247660
http://forums.euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=586864

scy

You make it seem like Elo was ever a separate calculation from MMR. Like, you're treating them as two separate entities for some reason. "Elo" refers to the way the calculations are done, not something else.

Edit: To put it another way, "MMR" is just the term given to the number used to determine matchmaking as opposed to, say, "Gold 1s play vs Gold 1s +/-." The value itself is based off of the Elo system to calculate it.

And if you're curious, if I recall the math done from Season 2 times, the K-value used was approximated at around 100-ish during placements and down to ~20-25 after enough games.

As for LoL King Score, it is literally just Division + LP to determine the number. There's no fancy math involved.

Blizzard

Banned
You make it seem like Elo was ever a separate calculation from MMR. Like, you're treating them as two separate entities for some reason. "Elo" refers to the way the calculations are done, not something else.

Edit: To put it another way, "MMR" is just the term given to the number used to determine matchmaking as opposed to, say, "Gold 1s play vs Gold 1s +/-." The value itself is based off of the Elo system to calculate it.

And if you're curious, if I recall the math done from Season 2 times, the K-value used was approximated at around 100-ish during placements and down to ~20-25 after enough games.

As for LoL King Score, it is literally just Division + LP to determine the number. There's no fancy math involved.
Previously the player score was generally called "elo" (and "hidden elo" though maybe that was only for non-ranked games), and I thought people had drawn a distinction between "MMR" and "elo" in the new system. But, there's a good chance I'm wrong!

Thanks for the details. I didn't look into the lolking score at all and just thought they had done something more complicated right after the new league system. It's interesting to hear the season 2 math as well, since I had never really looked into the varying K values and how chess ratings actually worked.

Boken

Banned
Posted in the LCS thread, figured I'd post here as well:

World Championship schedule: http://na.lolesports.com/season3/split2/articles/world-championship-tickets-available-aug-15

Dat group stage, 40 games over one week. Looks like it will be OGN style, with each team playing the other in a BO2 set.

Anyone from GAF going? I could be into splitting a room with someone. I'll probably be going as press, so maybe I could give you some backstage access :p
Wait, exgn is press?

Zukuu

Banned
Is the new locket / aegis worth it on junglers anymore? If so, when exactly?

Playing as Jarvan in the jungle, I used to get it after Golem + lvl 2 boots. Getting Randuin + Visiage over it seems kinda better on paper to me.

Well, this is getting interesing.

Last Saturday, the team Lyon Gaming won the Latin American Championship, pubstomping all the teams. 256 teams, the best 4 went to an offline tournament, and Lyon won all the matches without losing a single tower, in an average of 25 minutes. Then they played against the champion from the South, and won the Bo5 again, without losing a single tower, in an average of 25 minutes, their mid laner died only once in all the offline event. (edit: twice, he died 2 times in the last game)

Now, what's interesing, is that some players of the different teams have said that now they'll switch back to NA, instead of playing in LAN, pretty much like Lyon have done since the launch of the server, they moved their smuf, played a bit of ranked until they reached Challenger, and went back to play in NA, in fact Lyon was in the top 8(in NA), last time I checked, they were supposed to play in the Spring Qualifiers against COGnitive Gaming, but they were disqualified since they didn't showed up. (The LAN finals were at the exactly same time).

This is interesing because the best players/teams from LAN are returning to play to NA, since the ping is the same or less, since LAN doesn't have enough level to be competitive(as a team that want to go pro), but this creates a vicious circle because if the best players aren't playing in LAN, then it'll never had a good level.

That and the teams from LAN, in this case Lyon Gaming, could be seen as having an unfair advantage over other teams from Oceania or Brazil, for example, in the Wildcarld tournament, all the players from Lyon Gaming play with less than 50 of ping in NA, one of them with less than 20 because he lives in San Diego.

Not sure if Riot will do something about this, because they said they have a 3-years plan for pushing the esport scene in latin american, and this could mess with their plans.

Hmm...

Boken

Banned
Is the new locket / aegis worth it on junglers anymore? If so, when exactly?

Playing as Jarvan in the jungle, I used to get it after Golem + lvl 2 boots. Getting Randuin + Visiage over it seems kinda better on paper to me.
no idea. i wish theyd make support items more obvious
shitty stats - but amazing selfless actives
I just downloaded this game

IdontknowwhatIamdoingdog.gif
we are all dogs.

Well, this is getting interesing.

Last Saturday, the team Lyon Gaming won the Latin American Championship, pubstomping all the teams. 256 teams, the best 4 went to an offline tournament, and Lyon won all the matches without losing a single tower, in an average of 25 minutes. Then they played against the champion from the South, and won the Bo5 again, without losing a single tower, in an average of 25 minutes, their mid laner died only once in all the offline event. (edit: twice, he died 2 times in the last game)

Now, what's interesing, is that some players of the different teams have said that now they'll switch back to NA, instead of playing in LAN, pretty much like Lyon have done since the launch of the server, they moved their smuf, played a bit of ranked until they reached Challenger, and went back to play in NA, in fact Lyon was in the top 8(in NA), last time I checked, they were supposed to play in the Spring Qualifiers against COGnitive Gaming, but they were disqualified since they didn't showed up. (The LAN finals were at the exactly same time).

This is interesing because the best players/teams from LAN are returning to play to NA, since the ping is the same or less, since LAN doesn't have enough level to be competitive(as a team that want to go pro), but this creates a vicious circle because if the best players aren't playing in LAN, then it'll never had a good level.

That and the teams from LAN, in this case Lyon Gaming, could be seen as having an unfair advantage over other teams from Oceania or Brazil, for example, in the Wildcarld tournament, all the players from Lyon Gaming play with less than 50 of ping in NA, one of them with less than 20 because he lives in San Diego.

Not sure if Riot will do something about this, because they said they have a 3-years plan for pushing the esport scene in latin american, and this could mess with their plans.

Hmm...

Man that sucks
but I doubt they can do anything about it. taiwan, china and korea all scrim each other (hence why TPA was so good last year)
hopefully it has a flow on effect - LNG gets better due to scrimming NA teams, but still has to compete in LAN/BR/LAS tournaments and makes the region better.

Boken

Banned
Leona's blade would be pretty damn awesome.

As long as I can catch random girls with it

tumblr_mpok40tXA71rn9u9co1_1280.jpg

Boken

Banned
So I've started playing this recently after only having experience with Dota 2. Are there any lists of characters and their meta positions?

http://www.lolking.net/champions/
There is some variability to the roles of certain champions.
+
keep in mind that top lane and middle lane are basically just solo laners and are pretty interchangeable.

also, if youre just starting out, nobody will really be playing the meta until you get kicked out of newbie MMR

So I've started playing this recently after only having experience with Dota 2. Are there any lists of characters and their meta positions?

I just downloaded this game

IdontknowwhatIamdoingdog.gif

now kiss

The lolking site is a nice basis though keep in mind a lot of them can and are played outside of their "role". Certain mages can be played as a carry or as a support. Some junglers and marksmen are fine going solo.

I setup my own streaming, though it's mostly just to review certain matches since LoLReplay doesn't work in our region (no spectator). I saw some events where I got away safely, but could have played more aggressively, get the kills while still remaining safe. I really need to shake off some of the "play too safe" mindset in teamfights. My only problem is that my upload speed caps at around 500-600kbps so quality is poop.

It's somewhat really taxing on the processor. I have a decent PC (i3-2100, HD5850, 8GB) but I have to lower my settings to medium to maintain near 60FPS. I don't have money for Bandicam right now, and Afterburner never worked.

Boken

Banned
I setup my own streaming, though it's mostly just to review certain matches since LoLReplay doesn't work in our region (no spectator). I saw some events where I got away safely, but could have played more aggressively, get the kills while still remaining safe. I really need to shake off some of the "play too safe" mindset in teamfights. My only problem is that my upload speed caps at around 500-600kbps so quality is poop.

It's somewhat really taxing on the processor. I have a decent PC (i3-2100, HD5850, 8GB) but I have to lower my settings to medium to maintain near 60FPS. I don't have money for Bandicam right now, and Afterburner never worked.
What region is this?

PH (Garena). I think we're the only Garena region that doesn't have spectator. Heck we only got Dominion late last year, but no one plays it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom