• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT4| No Country for Old Karma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boken

Banned
I got 5 4v5s im a row last night too. I wonder why I even bothered playing.

Find a friend to practice 1v1s instead
---------------
Picture time!
DyiaNTzs.jpg
9qVPksns.jpg
mv65Vxjs.jpg

1DJjOKus.jpg
sorqUeFs.jpg
JOrsKzKs.jpg

RSAnIrVs.jpg
wvdUnLbs.jpg
1ri1Y7Fs.jpg

30 other portraits (and in much larger resolution) here: http://imgur.com/a/GP61q#3
Credit goes to: http://ffsade.deviantart.com/ (d-a is down atm)

Census
lolgaf players list:
[Google Form]
[Spreadsheet]

-------------------
ESPORTS
World Championships Run-up
A reminder that this week there is no LCS - however, next week is the last week of LCS and will be a superweek (20 games per region).
- 1-2 will get byes to the semi finals in the world championship playoffs
While in NA, Cloud 9 are a lock for 1st seed, 2nd seed will be determined by whether or not Vulcun fuck up. CLG, Curse, TSM, dig and Vel will have to fight stay be in the top 6.
In EU, everything is up for grabs.

World Wide timers
These are the dates for World Championship playoffs around the world and will showcase the teams that are the best around the world, and letting you familiarise yourself with eventual World Championship participants.

South East Asia 17th August
International Wildcard 21,23th August
EU LCS 24-25th August
Taiwan Region 29th August
Korean Circuit Points 31st August
NA LCS 1-2nd September
Korean Regional Finals 7th September
China LPL 8th September (?)

Other Stuff
After the popularity of the "Best Riven NA" tournament, Leagupedia is back with the "Best Lee Sin NA".
more details: http://lol.gamepedia.com/Articles:L...Lee_Sin_NA_Tournament,_Sponsored_by_Alienware

Subtle

Find a friend to practice 1v1s instead
---------------
Picture time!
DyiaNTzs.jpg
9qVPksns.jpg
mv65Vxjs.jpg

1DJjOKus.jpg
sorqUeFs.jpg
JOrsKzKs.jpg

RSAnIrVs.jpg
wvdUnLbs.jpg
1ri1Y7Fs.jpg

30 other portraits (and in much larger resolution) here: http://imgur.com/a/GP61q#3
Credit goes to: http://ffsade.deviantart.com/ (d-a is down atm)

Census
lolgaf players list:
[Google Form]
[Spreadsheet]

-------------------
ESPORTS
World Championships Run-up
A reminder that this week there is no LCS - however, next week is the last week of LCS and will be a superweek (20 games per region).
- 1-2 will get byes to the semi finals in the world championship playoffs
While in NA, Cloud 9 are a lock for 1st seed, 2nd seed will be determined by whether or not Vulcun fuck up. CLG, Curse, TSM, dig and Vel will have to fight stay be in the top 6.
In EU, everything is up for grabs.

World Wide timers
These are the dates for World Championship playoffs around the world and will showcase the teams that are the best around the world, and letting you familiarise yourself with eventual World Championship participants.

South East Asia 17th August
International Wildcard 21,23th August
EU LCS 24-25th August
Taiwan Region 29th August
Korean Circuit Points 31st August
NA LCS 1-2nd September
Korean Regional Finals 7th September
China LPL 8th September (?)

Other Stuff
After the popularity of the "Best Riven NA" tournament, Leagupedia is back with the "Best Lee Sin NA".
more details: http://lol.gamepedia.com/Articles:L...Lee_Sin_NA_Tournament,_Sponsored_by_Alienware

They look a little... off.

Anyway, those things I said about support Sona were completely wrong. She's my favorite type of solo queue cheese. Start Dorans+Ward and you can completely destroy non sustain lanes. Then you just buy regular support stuff.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
today i saw a lee sin going full dps in one of the amateur tournaments. his kick did something like 1.3k damage to a target, but I guess I never knew it also applied that damage to all targets the kicked unit passed through. he didn't even have that much ad, but lee sin has 200% scaling on his ult.

today i saw a lee sin going full dps in one of the amateur tournaments. his kick did something like 1.3k damage to a target, but I guess I never knew it also applied that damage to all targets the kicked unit passed through. he didn't even have that much ad, but lee sin has 200% scaling on his ult.

Lee Sin can be played as an assassin considering his burst (480% bonus AD), but it's just so damn risky.

dimb

Lee Sin can be played as an assassin considering his burst (480% bonus AD), but it's just so damn risky.
his mobility is so high and the triggers on it are instantaneous. i don't think he is a very risky champion even when building for damage.

his mobility is so high and the triggers on it are instantaneous. i don't think he is a very risky champion even when building for damage.
Risky in teamfights. Not exactly easy to target squishies and get away with it unless you have a good comp for it. In small skirmishes yeah, not much issue specially since he's great at dueling too.

I'd also like transparent backgrounds for those avatars. Is there a website that automatically does it?

Boken

Banned
kuunch has high compression
dobkejetrops has white edges

wtf is this

ps how do i make gimp export the transparency background

Blizzard

Banned
I certainly can't brag about this since I didn't do very well and was getting my buffs stolen and dying stupidly and rarely ganking and being too mean to teammates. But, it was kind of a funny game.

jungle6fk8z.png

Specifically, Nasus kept CV'ing me and telling me my pathing was terrible, and when I asked what jungle paths I should use, he said not bronze ones. So then I asked what I should use, and he said am I on his team, no, so after.

Then after the game I ended up 4 levels up and 60 minions ahead, he called me a slur in the lobby.

jungle23gpy59.png

I mean, it's probably true that I'm a terrible jungler, but this might not have been the time to say it. Also, I was very worried about master yi early standing perfectly still in top lane, with no mana, saying they didn't know what to do about Singed. But then they got two quadra kills by going in at smart times, and the last one happened to be at 36 minutes in, which meant 3 towers, an inhibitor, and the nexus before they could do anything.

I was convinced from the way people were talking early that it was lost, since Katarina was saying they were going to feed/troll, they had only picked mid so another player who asked for mid couldn't play it, etc. Goes to show you never know.

I'm having serious League cravings. Been backpacking for the last three months or so and I find whenever I'm online I'm checking in on how the LCS is doing and wanting to play. Being away for a while is probably a good thing for me though. I'll hopefully be on in 10 to 12 days so hit me up if you guys want to play with me again! I hope LoL GAF games are still going decently strong.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
why would it be funny? closer could do it in way fewer if he played ranked, and rex shot through plat so...rankings...what a silly system.

if i lose a game in gold 1 now
or drop tons and get demoted
i'm going to say you jinxed me now.

Join me, in the pits of Gold V.

I really should start playing this game again.

Boken

Banned
High risk high reward is my new favorite Leauge logical fallacy.
Calling everything they disagree with a logical fallacy is my new favourite logical fallacy
I'm having serious League cravings. Been backpacking for the last three months or so and I find whenever I'm online I'm checking in on how the LCS is doing and wanting to play. Being away for a while is probably a good thing for me though. I'll hopefully be on in 10 to 12 days so hit me up if you guys want to play with me again! I hope LoL GAF games are still going decently strong.
So that's where you've been
Lolgaf needs a hero like you

Anyone wanna be a doll and resize the Jayce one?

Pantheon never gets any love :(
Why doesn't anybody know how to use gimp at the least

You could resize in paint

dimb

Calling everything they disagree with a logical fallacy is my new favourite logical fallacy
Okay? It's just a term I see being brought up but it gets applied to the highest mobility champions in the game. Somehow all these "high risk" champions like Ahri and Zed and Kassadin and Lee Sin become the most popular champions. I don't really understand what implicit risk there is to building Lee Sin very squishy, because stacked against anyone else I would say he is exceptionally resilient and mobile. There are lots of assassins right now who can just build straight damage because their kits are just kind of busted and don't provide many openings for the enemy team to really strike back. So now we've got Ahri, Master Yi, Zed, and Lee Sin running around every game.

Boken

Banned
the risk is that if they get caught in a team fight they die

adcarries are high risk high reward

high risk high reward is another name for glass cannon

you have an issue with mobility but assassins have increased mobility because their job is to get to the back line. that doesnt mean they dont have the risk of dying if hit with a stun and a team full of damage

dimb

the risk is that if they get caught in a team fight they die
wow...so like the same as everyone else? at least they have escape and avoidance options when it comes to cc.

do you believe ahri is the most popular mage at plat+ just because she's fun? or that lee sin is easily the most popular melee champion in the game at high levels of play because people love to take risks? he's not that squishy, and even if he was he has build options into going tanky at any time.

the assassins that have blown up to be big picks right now are the ones that can use their offensive tools defensively as well. lee sin is more of a bruiser than an assassin though.

Newt

wow...so like the same as everyone else? at least they have escape and avoidance options when it comes to cc.

do you believe ahri is the most popular mage at plat+ just because she's fun? or that lee sin is easily the most popular melee champion in the game at high levels of play because people love to take risks? he's not that squishy, and even if he was he has build options into going tanky at any time.

the assassins that have blown up to be big picks right now are the ones that can use their offensive tools defensively as well. lee sin is more of a bruiser than an assassin though.
This.

Boken

Banned

what, ahri is hella fun

"everybody else"
as i said, glass cannon = high risk/high reward
half the team is high risk/high reward

adc, apc, assassins. supports are just suckers so lets forget them

compared to a fed bruiser or tank who itemised tankiness and who dont explode when they get caught, anybody who builds pure damage is 'high risk'. theres plenty of times that a fed tank gets caught and just runs away from the enemy team.

you need to understand that everything is relative. compared to building pure damage on somebody like lee sin, building full tank on shen is comparatively low risk/moderate reward.

assassins are basically glass cannons that must go "out of position" (relative to the frontline-backline formation) in team fights and thus have excess mobility

i can understand the frustration that right now its kinda league of assassins, but thats almost a function of the backlash balancing from people crying way too much about tankiness. we also need more skill based CC in this game. slows dont cut it

in other news, spirit visage + banshees veil makes you tanky as hell (against magic damage)

dimb

what, ahri is hella fun
sure, but everyone just finally noticed that she was the most fun in the last few weeks though right? and that they never wanted to play other stuff. some great turn of fate exposed all these players to the joys of ahri a year and a half after her release.
you need to understand that everything is relative. compared to building pure damage on somebody like lee sin, building full tank on shen is comparatively low risk/moderate reward.
do you like, even understand what is going on in the game outside of howling abyss? lee sin can just build hydra and last whisper and then go tank. not only is his laning phase infinitely safer than shen but he would stomp him in a 1v1 pushing towards mid or late game.

there is little risk to pushing in behind lines right now as certain assassins, particularly when some of them can just zhonya's, wait for cds, and pop away. even if the opportunity doesn't present itself someone like ahri or lee sin can still push out damage on to tanks fairly safely.

it is disingenuous to say that these champions are high risk when they offer some of the safest laning phases and have powerful snowballing and mid/late games.

Boken

Banned
sure, but everyone just finally noticed that she was the most fun in the last few weeks though right? and that they never wanted to play other stuff. some great turn of fate exposed all these players to the joys of ahri a year and a half after her release.
are you trying to imply that somehow she became broken over the last few weeks?
do you like, even understand what is going on in the game outside of howling abyss? lee sin can just build hydra and last whisper and then go tank. not only is his laning phase infinitely safer than shen but he would stomp him in a 1v1 pushing towards mid or late game.

there is little risk to pushing in behind lines right now as certain assassins, particularly when some of them can just zhonya's, wait for cds, and pop away. even if the opportunity doesn't present itself someone like ahri or lee sin can still push out damage on to tankes fairly safely.
of course i do, i still watch plenty of progames and the game theory hasnt changed very much

i think youre missing my point here. a lee sin who builds 2 damage items and goes tanky is no longer high risk/high reward because i've defined high risk/high reward as a glass cannon.

this isnt even about lane matchups. im trying to tell you what people probably mean by "high risk/high reward" and youre trying to disagree with me based on all sorts of things.

the high risk they mean is the high risk of you dying if caught in a team fight.
inherently in just building damage, you are relatively squishier than if building tanky.

hence why the converse is that building tanky is low risk. i dont even know why youre bringing up lee sin v shen. this isnt even about the events in a game itself. im not trying to say what is better, im trying to tell you what it might mean because you somehow seem offended by some thought.

lets use your example to explore this concept further. a hydra + LW + tank items lee sin vs a hydra+LW+BT+BT lee sin.
lee sin #1 has lower risk compared to lee sin #2, but lee sin #2 can output more damage.

the only difference between them is tank items vs damage items. tank items = low risk, pure damage items = high risk.

i am not trying to say that lee sin is a high risk/high reward champion, or that you should build pure damage on lee sin. i am trying to tell you that people were saying building lee sin pure damage is high risk/high reward.

it is disingenuous to say that these champions are high risk when they offer some of the safest laning phases and have powerful snowballing and mid/late games.
yeah im not trying to say the champions themselves are high risk, but the builds can be

to use your example again, if you eschew zhonyas on ahri for a deathcap, that is relatively, high risk for a reward of higher damage.

dimb

the concept that building tanky is low risk is just inherently flawed though. just because you go super tank doesn't mean you are valuable. you could do less in team fights and lose terribly in 1v1s.

what negates risk is mobility. you keep talking about "getting caught" but the difference between a tanky darius and a damage based lee sin being separated from the group do not hold the same risk. without escape options the darius will ultimately just die. the lee sin can hop out in at least two different ways or kick the enemy out.

Boken

Banned
just because you go super tank doesn't mean you are valuable. you could do less in team fights and lose terribly in 1v1s.
hence, the converse of high risk/high reward - "low risk/low reward"

the concept that building tanky is low risk is just inherently flawed though.
erm, people build defensive items to lower their risk of dying in a team fight....

what negates risk is mobility. you keep talking about "getting caught" but the difference between a tanky darius and a damage based lee sin being separated from the group do not hold the same risk. without escape options the darius will ultimately just die. the lee sin can hop out in at least two different ways or kick the enemy out.
i still feel like you havent realised that i am talking about item builds and not champions. so theres no point to compare across champions.

im sure youll agree with me on your point that the difference between a tanky lee sin and a pure damage lee sin being seperated from the group is that the former has a lower risk of dying.

thereby proving that tanky lee = low risk
in this paradigm of language anyway

basically:
pure offensive items - high risk/high reward
defensive items and lower your risk

dimb

lee sin doesn't have to build pure damage to have strong damage output. think practical. theory only goes so far. even without any major tank items lee sin doesn't drop super easily.

Boken

Banned
basically, boken is from mars and dimb is from venus cos we got hella understanding problems here

im not saying you should build pure damage on lee sin
im using him as an example to prove that building damage = high risk/high reward relative to building defensive = lower risk/lower reward

just as you used examples to prove that lee sin is a lower risk champion than darius

yes, lee sin is better than darius

tl;dr

pure offensive items - high risk/high reward (relative to defensive items because everytime you buy a damage item, youre skipping opportunities to buy a defensive item)
defensive items lower your risk

(risk = risk of dying//reward = damage)

Leezard

Well, compared to other popular high damage AD assassins such as Zed and Kha'Zix, Lee Sin is a bit easier to catch.
Lee often does goes for some damage if he's either in lane or gets ahead in the jungle, though; Lee mostly going jungle can explain that he's mostly tanky.

rakhir

<- These are great, I'm taking Fiora EDIT: shit, Fiora's taken, Vi then.

So i've checked that Zyra build with Spirit of Elder Lizard, and yeah, it works fantastic - that true dmg!

Leezard

Does Banner of Command actually work on Zyra? Last time I checked it out it seemed like Banner of Command appeared to give extra stats to the plants, but they didn't actually do extra damage. It might have been a longer post at reignofgaming or s@20 talking about Banner of Command.

Blizzard

Banned
it stayed hidden because it's bad.
But look at the extra 17000 damage that Zyra did, the numbers can't lie!

Back when I would attempt Zyra mid before the nerfs, I did like building rylais on her so the plants get more annoying, and I could at least see Liandry's might work well in combination. I thought the plants were fairly easy to kill compared to say, Heimerdinger turrets, but maybe that's why banner of command would be used. Does banner of command help Heimerdinger?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
rylai's and liandry's are both fine on mid zyra, they're staple items for her and the sources of 80% of the damage the build is getting credit for.
it's the full retard rush of sotel and banner that's the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom