• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT4| No Country for Old Karma

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think the real issue is that passives should supplement the playstyle of the champion while global passives do literally nothing to your own playstyle (other than make you relevant while standing around). Furthermore, a passive ability which makes the whole map stronger is more suited to being an actual ability because in that situation there is decision making and sacrifice - you have to forgo lane power in order to buff your team mates

But you have to remember-Morello hates global ults as well. That's why Pantheon, Shen, and TF's ults got nerfed pretty hard. So did Sorakas. If it's a global ability that helps your team, it'll either be extremely weak off the bat or get nerfed.

His dash, while boring gets interactions with his ult. i think they try to concentrate on the overall experience of playing a champion. lucian seems like a burst caster mm, which isnt that common really.

though i personally think the design space for 'marksmen' is kinda limited already. mages get more cool stuff

Yeah, that's why I like his ult alot. But as a burst caster...I doubt he'll be played in higher elos. People play ADCs for the consistent damage, that's why you don't see Draven anymore(Yeah, his passive got nerfed and butchered, because he misses that burst bleed that he used to have), Urgot doesn't get played except in very specific scenarios(He's probably the best ADC burster with a huge poke range, again, not really played).

Vaynes an exception because her damage scales with AS-Same with Caitlyn but it scales with both AD and AS because of her headshot. Team Coast brought back Ashe, but they've played her amazingly. It's literally wowed me that they brought a champion that everyone thought was weak because of no dash/escape, and completely decimated the competition.

Lessee...Quinn isn't played at all. They're a burst ADC with a great chase, but her autoattack falls for it(Even with her passive, her short range is another whole issue).

I have an issue with having a meta. Because of it, there are literally some champions you'll never see in competitive play. Their design choices(This is toxic, that is toxic, remove it) is also an issue, if you want to remove something, it's anti fun. It's literally become the excuse for alot of things they removed.

I can type up a whole tirade but honestly, it has gotten a bit stale IMO.

Boken

Banned
K94UPmi.jpg

Census
lolgaf players list:
[Google Form]
[Spreadsheet]

But you have to remember-Morello hates global ults as well. That's why Pantheon, Shen, and TF's ults got nerfed pretty hard. So did Sorakas. If it's a global ability that helps your team, it'll either be extremely weak off the bat or get nerfed.

Yeah, that's why I like his ult alot. But as a burst caster...I doubt he'll be played in higher elos. People play ADCs for the consistent damage, that's why you don't see Draven anymore(Yeah, his passive got nerfed and butchered, because he misses that burst bleed that he used to have), Urgot doesn't get played except in very specific scenarios(He's probably the best ADC burster with a huge poke range, again, not really played).

Vaynes an exception because her damage scales with AS-Same with Caitlyn but it scales with both AD and AS because of her headshot. Team Coast brought back Ashe, but they've played her amazingly. It's literally wowed me that they brought a champion that everyone thought was weak because of no dash/escape, and completely decimated the competition.

Lessee...Quinn isn't played at all. They're a burst ADC with a great chase, but her autoattack falls for it(Even with her passive, her short range is another whole issue).

I have an issue with having a meta. Because of it, there are literally some champions you'll never see in competitive play. Their design choices(This is toxic, that is toxic, remove it) is also an issue, if you want to remove something, it's anti fun. It's literally become the excuse for alot of things they removed.

I can type up a whole tirade but honestly, it has gotten a bit stale IMO.
morello hated them because they were ridiculously strong at the time. they havent been nerfed for about a year now (except for tf, which is mostly because of his #1 pick/ban status -- because of the "global" ult)

I think your definition of burst is way off. All adc have "consistent" damage because they can auto attack. Some have AS% steroids, some dont. Vayne has other steroids instead and cait has high AS growth and great range. Ashe is probably the lowest sustained damage MM but has other utility of course. they all do sustained damage. Even Lucian does sustained damage, I consider him a burst adc because his sustained damage comes in spikes - due to his passive.

the meta is ultimately dictated by pro-players (or should), so its hard to say "some champions will never see play". I remember everybody thinking mundo was absolute trash of a jungler because he couldnt cc or initiate teamfights, and was dependant on a skillshot to gank. Then suddenly everybody played him. Same goes with shyvanna. no cc jungler, wtf useless

When is this stupid tournament over so they can finally release Lucian? I've amassed a redonk 15k ip waiting for him. Spent 4800 on trundle, another on shen, got 7800 left on the dot basically. Are they just making us wait and wait and wait till we can't take it so we all blow a huge load all over him and buy all his skins and stuff, my god.

Blizzard

Banned
When is this stupid tournament over so they can finally release Lucian? I've amassed a redonk 15k ip waiting for him. Spent 4800 on trundle, another on shen, got 7800 left on the dot basically. Are they just making us wait and wait and wait till we can't take it so we all blow a huge load all over him and buy all his skins and stuff, my god.
Meanwhile I don't even have 6300 IP yet, and there are still like 14 other 4800 IP champions I need to buy before I get to 6300 IP champions. :p

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Lucian felt unique enough to me when I played him. I can't think of anyone else that simply kites with speed and mobility. His Q feels really lousy though. It's on a delay before it goes off but you can't just aim it like a skillshot to line it up in a way that would allow you to predict movement. Instead it's on target for seemingly no reason. It's like this weird mechanical skill inhibitor.

It'll be funny because everything about Vayne's kit will crush Lucian. Roll out of his Q, negate his movespeed with your chase potential, and invis during his ult.

Secret OP marksman that will emerge in the next few months is Corki.

IsayFever

Lucian felt unique enough to me when I played him. I can't think of anyone else that simply kites with speed and mobility. His Q feels really lousy though. It's on a delay before it goes off but you can't just aim it like a skillshot to line it up in a way that would allow you to predict movement. Instead it's on target for seemingly no reason. It's like this weird mechanical skill inhibitor.

It'll be funny because everything about Vayne's kit will crush Lucian. Roll out of his Q, negate his movespeed with your chase potential, and invis during his ult.

I am waiting for the day I can say that Corki is once again broken tier. We all know he has the potential.

Boken

Banned
They need to let Corki's Q reveal stealthed enemies

then he will be good. finally shut up those asshole vaynes and twitches

IsayFever

They need to let Corki's Q reveal stealthed enemies

then he will be good. finally shut up those asshole vaynes and twitches

They need to rework the Donger into a support, so the Corkidonger lane can reveal and stun assassins until they die.

K94UPmi.jpg

morello hated them because they were ridiculously strong at the time. they havent been nerfed for about a year now (except for tf, which is mostly because of his #1 pick/ban status -- because of the "global" ult)

I think your definition of burst is way off. All adc have "consistent" damage because they can auto attack. Some have AS% steroids, some dont. Vayne has other steroids instead and cait has high AS growth and great range. Ashe is probably the lowest sustained damage MM but has other utility of course. they all do sustained damage. Even Lucian does sustained damage, I consider him a burst adc because his sustained damage comes in spikes - due to his passive.

the meta is ultimately dictated by pro-players (or should), so its hard to say "some champions will never see play". I remember everybody thinking mundo was absolute trash of a jungler because he couldnt cc or initiate teamfights, and was dependant on a skillshot to gank. Then suddenly everybody played him. Same goes with shyvanna. no cc jungler, wtf useless

My definition of burst is someone like Lucian-Corki is burst after the nerf to his passive, Varus is bursty, Draven in a way was bursty with his old passive but the reason they took it out was because it was consistent burst thanks to the burn.

Vayne and Cait are consistent. Probably the most picked tourney wise. Graves is burst, seldom picked. Ashe is consistent with no steroids but with more utility than the others. Kogmaw is sustained DPS, with sustained burst thanks to his W and ultimate.

I wasn't saying that Vayne/Cait were burst, but that they have strong steroids that while they could be categorized as burst(That is, Vaynes Q in conjunction with her silver bolts means that every 3 hits she has a burst, as well as whenever Q is expended, and with Caits headshot passive means..what is it now, every 7 autoattacks she gains some burst), actually just makes them the best sustained DPS atm.

Ezreal is in another different ball league-He's not really burst, and he's not an autoattacker. Since the beginning of the blue build, he's more like a safe poke ADC relying on his Q, until he can go in and confidently AA them to death.

Ahem. So after that, my problem with Lucian is that he is just bland. He's no Vayne or Caitlyn in being unique with their head shots/silver bolts, but that the most unique part of him is his ultimate and his cross AoE, even though they flandered on making the cross aoe special.

His passive is pretty eh too, it's like Quinns but weaker because Quinns passive has a flat base amount+scaling, while Lucians will always be 50-75% of his own damage. The on hit is nice application is nice, but nobody builds ADCs as an on-hit carry. IE is the only on-hit effect that you want on his passive. So his passive is a bit on the weaker side. Granted timing skills and his passive can make him extremely bursty, but in execution it's riskier to do that especially in a team fight where you can get stunned or caught out at any moment. If he's in a safe position he'll be fine, otherwise it'll only be really effective in laning.

Good lord my post was a rant.

Boken

Banned
I think you'll need to play him to see how "different" he is because I think his passive really defines his playstyle

I dont think anybody sees headshot as unique or definitional of cait. cait is about her long range and her beautiful Q-E combos.

we dont really talk about quinn around here, but shes really just a ranged fighter with an assassin mode.

Newt

They need to rework the Donger into a support, so the Corkidonger lane can reveal and stun assassins until they die.
They need to buff donger so he's the best champ in the game. That would be ultra hilarious. Kassadins too afraid to come close to him.

Blizzard

Banned

This is why I read this thread, to get great ideas like Donger support.

heimeru6ubd.png

I claim those CS I took from Ashe were mostly when I was split pushing the lane after she left it to help elsewhere. We almost got two towers in bot lane before they surrendered!

Shyvana jungle was played by Wayi Spider against Taipei Snipers in the Taiwan Regional Finals Winner's Bracket Final yesterday. Then in the next match TPS picked Shyvana top.

The Wayi Shyvana was an S2-mode oracle bot with great objective control. Limited in effectiveness thanks to OhReal being such a solid Lee Sin and picking his way around her. She built two Doran's Blades into Sunfire (by which point her team was quite a ways behind). The TPS solo top didn't have too great a game as Shyvana, but with a full tank build looked to be wreaking more chaos than you'd expect on the Wayi backline. They attempted the Shyv/Ori combo but weren't able to land it successfully until late in the game.

TPS, lead by Mistake (captain of TPA when they won S2 Worlds) looked really slick. In both games he played Nunu support, running Smite, went mid lane with his AD, building a platform from which they applied constant pressure and grabbed early Oracles' (sharing the burden with his jungler) to try to control the map. In the second game everything went wrong as their top laner got killed on an early invade and they had to fight their way back across the game. Wayi built their advantage well, but in the end TPS were too solid. OhReal and Mistake struck me as the standout players, but everyone did their jobs well and both NexAbc's Ori and GodJJ's Cait were influential in winning the crucial teamfights which turned the game.

TPS look like serious contenders and may well end up seeded for the World Championship Quarter-Finals, just like TPA before them. We know how that ended.

Subtle

Kosajk: this ashe
Kosajk: man
Kosajk: worst adcv
Kosajk: ever..
PoptartG: Please report Trist
Kosajk: jesus christ
Kosajk: for what
Kosajk: i carried
PoptartG: That's what we had to put up with
Kosajk: the **** outta u
Kosajk: r u kidding me?
PoptartG: all game
Hawk5656: ashe you do have to improve your cs
Kosajk: u did nothing
Kosajk: man
Kosajk: chris
Kosajk: christ
PoptartG: eh
Kosajk: u refused
Kosajk: to ulty
Kosajk: anyone
Kosajk: u didn't push
PoptartG: I don't usually rush berserker
Kosajk: anything
Kosajk: u have half the cs
Kosajk: i have
Kosajk: r u kidding me?
Kosajk: ur trash
Kosajk: dude\
PoptartG: I'm not used to doing that little damage
Kosajk: ...
Kosajk: learnt o plkay
Kosajk: christ
Kosajk: go watch
PoptartG: so can we all agree
Kosajk: C9
Kosajk: and ashe..
Kosajk: okay
PoptartG: to report here
PoptartG: ?
Kosajk: ASHE ULTIES
Kosajk: FIRST...
Kosajk: then the team
Kosajk: initates
Kosajk: u didn't ul;ty
Kosajk: anyone
Kosajk: for any fights
Kosajk: unless i said so
Kosajk: man ur so bad
PoptartG: enjoy the ban bro

The wonders of solo queue :)

For context, I took my ap runes and couldn't cs for shit.

and idk what he meant by the ult thing. I used ult after Leo used her. I don't think that's a bad /:?

aaaand i ended the game 5/2/5, idk what he was going on about tbh. probably just used me as a scapegoat.

he instalocked trist mid, not a word in lobby, built AD, and only talked in game to flame. nothing constructive. I like to think players like these are just having a bad day, but damn, i'm not sure.

this was AFTER the game ended. In game he flamed both Lee Sin and Leo constantly, he took a disliking to me as the game ended tho.

final edit to lighten the mood, mostly mine:

I was playing league just now on aram...I was using riven and this girl was playing as Blitzcrank. She would grab then I would destroy them with riven. I would be like nice combo nice damage. She would be "xD thanks you to we make a good combo" I added her then we went on skype. I was a bit nervous but I plan on buying her the new morgana bride skin as a signal I wanna marry her.. My heart flutters anytime I talk to her, I can imagine playing aram with her all day of my life once I marry her.

Boken

Banned
secret: every marksman is op
Shyvana jungle was played by Wayi Spider against Taipei Snipers in the Taiwan Regional Finals Winner's Bracket Final yesterday. Then in the next match TPS picked Shyvana top.

The Wayi Shyvana was an S2-mode oracle bot with great objective control. Limited in effectiveness thanks to OhReal being such a solid Lee Sin and picking his way around her. She built two Doran's Blades into Sunfire (by which point her team was quite a ways behind). The TPS solo top didn't have too great a game as Shyvana, but with a full tank build looked to be wreaking more chaos than you'd expect on the Wayi backline. They attempted the Shyv/Ori combo but weren't able to land it successfully until late in the game.

TPS, lead by Mistake (captain of TPA when they won S2 Worlds) looked really slick. In both games he played Nunu support, running Smite, went mid lane with his AD, building a platform from which they applied constant pressure and grabbed early Oracles' (sharing the burden with his jungler) to try to control the map. In the second game everything went wrong as their top laner got killed on an early invade and they had to fight their way back across the game. Wayi built their advantage well, but in the end TPS were too solid. OhReal and Mistake struck me as the standout players, but everyone did their jobs well and both NexAbc's Ori and GodJJ's Cait were influential in winning the crucial teamfights which turned the game.

TPS look like serious contenders and may well end up seeded for the World Championship Quarter-Finals, just like TPA before them. We know how that ended.

TPS are definitely good, and there are whispers that they are world finalist worthy - but i am pretty sceptical of that. there arent that many results from them and apparently that elo boosting scandal team scrimmed them and beat them

I was playing league just now on aram...I was using riven and this girl was playing as Blitzcrank. She would grab then I would destroy them with riven. I would be like nice combo nice damage. She would be "xD thanks you to we make a good combo" I added her then we went on skype. I was a bit nervous but I plan on buying her the new morgana bride skin as a signal I wanna marry her.. My heart flutters anytime I talk to her, I can imagine playing aram with her all day of my life once I marry her.
are you from Latin america?

was this the first time you met her o_o how did you know it was a girl. im happy for you tho
i know friends who met through RO and are gonna get married. maybe this will be you

bjaelke

Not sure the two teams are comparable in strength + as we shall see in a couple of hours, the Korean scene has grown immensely in the past year.

IsayFever

Granted I didn't see the Shyvana matches, but from what I've seen it's more about the opposition being Western-like.

The Garena league is notoriously bad with only like SGS and TPA being above average, and in the past they have just picked randomly and done whatever, but since more international games and what not have been available the "lower tier" teams have mimed the west in terms of play, while TPA/TPS have innovated. Granted TPA is just not that good anymore due to losing 95% of the championship roster, but TPS continues to impress with solid gameplay and trying to change the meta of their region

EXGN

i find it strange that taiwan gets their own spot and SEA gets one

and then taiwan + SEA = SEA region for seeding purposes

Yeah, I wonder who gets the first round bye? Probably Taiwan because TPA won, but yeah. Random as hell.

Frost shitting on Shield, all hail the return of RapidSTAR. Shield's coordination just isn't there, no one is really playing well on that team.

Ferga

I just duoed with a guy who played gp mid for 4 games in a row. Shit was cray and it worked for some reason.

Those parrley crits in the ganks were nuts

And Karma jungle is awesome

Or, when somebody dies and is bored waiting to respawn and starts looking for someone to blame for a potential loss, "did someone build something I don't like" is an easy way to pick a target. "Is this person a jungler" or "did this person have a lot of deaths" are other easy ways.

Yours is the most concise and sensible explanation I've ever seen for this sort of abuse.

I just duoed with a guy who played gp mid for 4 games in a row. Shit was cray and it worked for some reason.

Those parrley crits in the ganks were nuts

And Karma jungle is awesome

That's it, I'm going back to the 'plank.

scy

The wonders of solo queue :)

For context, I took my ap runes and couldn't cs for shit.

and idk what he meant by the ult thing. I used ult after Leo used her. I don't think that's a bad /:?

Well, yes, it was probably a lot of vile spew and all that and there's no real justification for it. That said, you have ~120cs as the ADC in a 35 minute game. Runes would make the difference for the first few minutes, sure, but not a big enough deal to be down 150-200cs. Ashe ult is a long range initiate, not just a "oh someone else initiated let me follow-up" one, though the use of this is contextual.

Without seeing the game, it's hard to say anything else. Again, it doesn't really justify the dude for raging but it's not exactly like the stats say you had a good game either.

Edit: Basically, even if he was just going off the deep end, you should still look at your overall play of the game. Having good K/D/A at the end doesn't tell the whole story. Then again, no statistic really does.

Yours is the most concise and sensible explanation I've ever seen for this sort of abuse.

For what it's worth, it's not always "looking for someone to blame." Building incorrectly does tend to lead to dying more/not killing fast enough/etc. so it's not exactly an irrelevant detail.

Just saw a jungle Ryze. He was supposed to go top, but we had no jungler. He asked for a hardleash since he had no Smite nor armor anything, then dominated. As in 18/4/13 domination. He rushed Tear->Mobility, no jungler item, then the usual Ryze items plus a Revolver mid-game.

Subtle

Yeah my cs was really bad that game, which isn't the norm. But still that dude was crazy.

Also that marriage thing isn't me LOL. Something I found on the official forums.

Newt

Yeah my cs was really bad that game, which isn't the norm. But still that dude was crazy.

Also that marriage thing isn't me LOL. Something I found on the official forums.
He was going AD trist when he was mid. Just ignore him, he was a moron.

Delodax

K94UPmi.jpg

Census
lolgaf players list:
[Google Form]
[Spreadsheet]

So true that the pros set the meta. I fond them extremely reserved when it comes to picks and team comps. If the current meta bothers you, I'm sure there are so many other combinations that can be tried, just make sure your team is on the same page.

Leezard

So I'm currently spectating a solo queue game where two of my friends are fighting against Makler & Libik, from MYM. Nothing much has happened yet, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom