• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT4| No Country for Old Karma

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadNames

Banned
Dunkers are: khazix, pantheon, trist, jax, j4, vi, and Darius. However I think aatrox should be on the dunk squad.

Yi is the og dunker.

Boken

Banned
People get too stuck on the idea of "Got a kill in lane so I'm ahead" or "up in CS so I'm ahead" but forget that it's all irrelevant if you don't actually back to convert it into an item. Get a gold lead and then turn it into an item lead before actually thinking you're ahead (and, well, make sure the item you get actually gives you a relevant power spike so you can press a lead).

Nashor's -> Lich Bane is the common burst build (with R>Q>E>W skill order); there's always the old Nashor's -> Liandry's way for the AoE shred. If you want more ASPD, Wit's End is better than Rageblade or BotRK if I recall.
Actually that build is halfway between sustained damage and burst.
Burst = lich bane deathcap
Sustained = nashors lisandrys
why would they remake Ryze :( I love ryze.
It's a visual update. People getting confused. They already said their next vu will be "low risk" like nidalee - this means there are no skill updates to mess with the work they've done with the vu and slow it down.

Tho they should've made ryze from shurima desert too! He's a dude with a giant scroll. It fits.
Why is Yi included? Which one of his skills is a Dunk? I can't really see the Q being it.

Vi should be included for the Dunkers.
Yi used to jump in the air when he double swung - so many dunks

Blizzard

Banned
People get too stuck on the idea of "Got a kill in lane so I'm ahead" or "up in CS so I'm ahead" but forget that it's all irrelevant if you don't actually back to convert it into an item. Get a gold lead and then turn it into an item lead before actually thinking you're ahead (and, well, make sure the item you get actually gives you a relevant power spike so you can press a lead).
Well, if you got a kill in lane and stayed in lane, or if you got more CS early game than the opponent, there is a chance that you have more XP than them because of more CS (maybe they were out of range of some of them), or because they were dead while you were getting XP, correct?

So in that sense, it's not all irrelevant. Sometimes you can be a level or two higher than the opposition, which gives you more HP, higher stats, and so forth than the enemy. Of course having better items will definitely add to that advantage and should be done too.

On another note, I wish I knew how to properly build and play Teemo. I tried playing him against Nasus top, but Nasus movespeed seemed to be equal to Teemo since I wasn't maxing W, and I could rarely get in range to actually attack Nasus. If I did get in range to attack him, he could very easily lifesteal back up with dorans shield and Q minion attacks. If I went through a minion wave to attack him, I would draw lots of agro and die. Maybe the answer is to try to attack from a bush so that the wave does not attack me. I seemed too weak even starting E first to 1v1 him from the start however, so I couldn't zone correctly.

I should have known this, but it was unpleasant to (re)discover that Teemo blind does not stop Nasus autoattack Q damage, so you can't stop him from farming it or hurting you with it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It wasn't a fluke. Renekton can't touch Kayle, she just kites him too hard. You can just deny him farm with your E all day.
I don't really see how you can kite someone who can close in with abilities.

scy

Well, yes, the straight burst build is LB/DC. I assumed we were talking about Nashor's -> X builds where Nashor's -> LB is the burst option vs the sustained ones of Liandry's or Wits.

Well, if you got a kill in lane and stayed in lane, or if you got more CS early game than the opponent, there is a chance that you have more XP than them because of more CS (maybe they were out of range of some of them), or because they were dead while you were getting XP, correct?

So in that sense, it's not all irrelevant. Sometimes you can be a level or two higher than the opposition, which gives you more HP, higher stats, and so forth than the enemy. Of course having better items will definitely add to that advantage and should be done too.

There's plenty of factors. Not always is one level an advantage vs items (though, generally speaking, early game it's enough). I'm saying that people fall into the trap you're putting forth here: They got a kill in lane or are up in cs and think that they can fight someone that came back with an item advantage. Maybe you can and maybe you cannot, it depends on the champions involved. You should just never assume that you're always winning in lane because you got a kill. Never think "I have a gold lead because of X" and think that that matters at any point in time before you actually convert the gold into something.

You are right, though. An EXP lead is a fairly big deal. Though, it has the same caveat: Your EXP lead does not matter if you're not actually a level ahead (e.g., Level 4 vs Level 3). It's probably easier to see why here though :x

Edit: Worth noting that this original response was about a successful gank and then push to tower so they can A) Reset the wave and B) Back and buy. That's always a better option than "stay in lane next to their tower because gold lead!" Well, as long as the back gets an actual item and not like boots or something.

To be fair, it's fairly easy to zone someone if they don't do it. Like, yeah, Renekton should most likely get the kill (or massive damage at the least) whenever Kayle E is on cooldown but that's an opportunity they have to take. Granted, one should never assume they'll be bad and not do the right play but people unfamiliar with the match up generally don't take advantage of things like that.

But, yeah, Renekton should be able to stand up for himself in that lane unless he gets held down before 2.

So regarding this conversation, should I be looking to tp back to pick up items more often than not after scoring kills (assuming there is an item now affordable)? Is there any consensus on this? I tend to stay in the lane after a kill to get that next wave unless it's already about to be at the enemy tower, then I tp back. Particularly if I'm mid or top. If I'm on the bottom lane I usually stay because I'm working on a bigger item like a BF that can take awhile and the threat isn't as ever-present to necessitate smaller parts to bigger items or dorans stacking first.

Mothman91

MOXLA6c.jpg

First game as Renekton. He's so fun, definitely like his kit.

Any tips/tricks for him?

So regarding this conversation, should I be looking to tp back to pick up items more often than not after scoring kills (assuming there is an item now affordable)? Is there any consensus on this? I tend to stay in the lane after a kill to get that next wave unless it's already about to be at the enemy tower, then I tp back. Particularly if I'm mid or top. If I'm on the bottom lane I usually stay because I'm working on a bigger item like a BF that can take awhile and the threat isn't as ever-present to necessitate smaller parts to bigger items or dorans stacking first.

I stay in lane when possible. I'd go back if I need to get more wards or if I can pick up a great core item like Tear for Ryze.

scy

Really, there's no "always do this" suggestion. The game is a bit too volatile for that. Generally speaking, your goal should be to do whatever you can to give you the greatest advantage over your opponent. That means that you want to reset the lane after a kill to deprive him of cs + EXP AND to get the wave back in the middle of the lane so you can keep them from the safety of their tower. You don't want to give up a free item advantage to your opponent just because you could stay in lane unless there's something else there (e.g., they died too early to actually buy an item, you're still stronger than them with an early item, you're multiple levels ahead, your Jungler is counterjungling the shit out of top and you need to be present, etc.).

For instance, I like Riven top so I can turn any early kill into an early Doran's Blade or Vamp Scepter or something + Potions + Wards so I can then completely bully my lane. The extra power and vision lets me zone them from csing and EXP range while always giving off the threat of a kill. It is much harder to do that if they come back to a lane where I never left to profit off my early lead, especially if they come back with a Cloth Armor or Chain Vest and their jungler is waiting to take advantage of my lack of items as well.

First game as Renekton. He's so fun, definitely like his kit.

Any tips/tricks for him?

The biggest tip for Renekton is to just be manly, really. His Level 2 and Level 3 are among the best in the game so your early lane goal is to try to hit them before your opponent so you can use those to your advantage. Not to say be suicidal in early lane but try to get one minion or so dead ahead of your opponent and then be prepared to quickly level and go in when your level hits. Of course, be wary of an early gank (~3m mark) if you're blue side/purple side and know they started red.

Blizzard

Banned
There's plenty of factors. Not always is one level an advantage vs items (though, generally speaking, early game it's enough). I'm saying that people fall into the trap you're putting forth here: They got a kill in lane or are up in cs and think that they can fight someone that came back with an item advantage. Maybe you can and maybe you cannot, it depends on the champions involved. You should just never assume that you're always winning in lane because you got a kill. Never think "I have a gold lead because of X" and think that that matters at any point in time before you actually convert the gold into something.
I agree that it definitely depends on the situation. Sometimes the other champion is not getting enough gold to even buy anything significant, so you can keep happily farming up for your first big item. Other times they might buy an item that does hurt though.

Edit: Worth noting that this original response was about a successful gank and then push to tower so they can A) Reset the wave and B) Back and buy. That's always a better option than "stay in lane next to their tower because gold lead!" Well, as long as the back gets an actual item and not like boots or something.
Yeah I think I agree, if you're pushed to the tower and not able to immediately take the tower it's probably better to go buy (or at minimum gank mid lane or something), instead of just hanging around waiting for the jungler or laner to come back and kill you while you're extended.

That new champion looks like Lux. Skateboarder pizza delivery Lux.

scy

I agree that it definitely depends on the situation. Sometimes the other champion is not getting enough gold to even buy anything significant, so you can keep happily farming up for your first big item. Other times they might buy an item that does hurt though.

Actually, on that note, make sure to keep an eye on their respawn timer. Not just so you know when they're coming and how much time you have left in lane but so you can see if they bought their item while sitting there dead. Free information!

That new champion looks like Lux. Skateboarder pizza delivery Lux.

That is Pizza Delivery Girl Sivir that Riot Tea Time drew up at PAX. Not the new champion.

Mothman91

The biggest tip for Renekton is to just be manly, really. His Level 2 and Level 3 are among the best in the game so your early lane goal is to try to hit them before your opponent so you can use those to your advantage. Not to say be suicidal in early lane but try to get one minion or so dead ahead of your opponent and then be prepared to quickly level and go in when your level hits. Of course, be wary of an early gank (~3m mark) if you're blue side/purple side and know they started red.

Yup, that's what I noticed. I try to get 100 fury by level 3 and then dice in and do the QW combo and dice out.

Leezard

It's a visual update. People getting confused. They already said their next vu will be "low risk" like nidalee - this means there are no skill updates to mess with the work they've done with the vu and slow it down.

Tho they should've made ryze from shurima desert too! He's a dude with a giant scroll. It fits.

Yi used to jump in the air when he double swung - so many dunks
Ah, I see. That animation.

Newt

You just stay back and harass with your E. If he gets you close you just Q and W while running back, maybe getting a few E autos in. He won't win that trade.

scy

You just stay back and harass with your E. If he gets you close you just Q and W while running back, maybe getting a few E autos in. He won't win that trade.

Realistically speaking, Kayle's E is never up when Renekton is in range. I mean, I agree that this is what Kayle wants to do but a good Renekton can get into range anyway once the E is down. E-AA-W is going to hurt and the window for doing it is rather wide. Especially given that Kayle will naturally be pushed up (or be up close if farming with regular auto attacks).

Essentially, Renekton has the tools to get himself where he wants to be. Kayle has the ability to keep him at bay but she can't actively prevent his gap close, merely dissuade the use of it and then disengage it. At the end of the day, it's Renekton vs a pseudo-ranged and his kit is all about getting into their safe zone; it takes a bit from the Renekton to win the match up but it's not really a near auto-win on the Kayle's side. Though, Kayle has the advantage at low levels (1-2) and should really, really, really press that there to make the rest of the laning phase smooth.

dimb

All Renekton has to do is control the wave. He can auto on minions all day vs. Kayle without pushing the lane and keep high rage. You can't kite him. He is not a champion weak to that which makes him very strong against squishy ranged champs. He will dash in, stun, and combo whatever he wants. He can dash further in or out. He is not a champion that has burst reliant on an ultimate, so he can tank Kayle out after she uses hers or just back out after making her blow it. It is a very favorable match up for Renekton.

brian!

if you can clear the wave fast enough so the lane is reset by the time you come back and also if you are not about to get murdered iz k

if a jungler wants to push your lane after a gank you might as well acquiesce, a lot of the time people can't afford an item they want but at least you can heal and get wards which is prtty good. a lot of the times it isn't necessary, in da best situations you can take the tower but prolly not in da lvl 2-3 gank timez

like in general, laning iz this: you get the moneyz and exp and not the other dude, poosh and freeze accordingly, don let a jungler mess ur lane up, poosh if you need to peace out (roam, back, w/e) but listen to scy when he says everything is prtty situational

also @renek, I usually consider kennen top to be a pretty safe dude but I'm scared against renekton

Mothman91

Damn...just destroyed a Rengar top. He couldn't handle me after 3. Kept on harassing and I got first blood. Went straight tank and snowballed to legendary...lol. Renektons kit is too nice, I don't know why I never played him before.

scy

It is a very favorable match up for Renekton.

At 3, probably. I'd give it to Kayle at 1-2 since she can force her level easier than Renekton. However, Renekton facilitates the early gank a bit better as well so that gives him a better shot at turning the lane when/if the jungler shows.

Also, I'd say that it's a bit harder to play the Renekton in the Renekton vs Kayle match-up since you have to know you can go in as opposed to Kayle just playing it as any other match-up. Generally speaking, I'd say that applies to basically every melee with skill gap closers vs a Ranged: They can win it but the burden of it is on them to execute it. Not that this is really _that_ relevant. You shouldn't really assume that they won't be able to do it as that's really unsafe :x

like in general, laning iz this: you get the moneyz and exp and not the other dude, poosh and freeze accordingly, don let a jungler mess ur lane up, poosh if you need to peace out (roam, back, w/e) but listen to scy when he says everything is prtty situational

My focus for a lot of "learning how to lane" is this kind of stuff. "Laning" is basically knowing how to find your advantages: When you're stronger in lane due to your kit, how to leave lane without giving up said advantages, and then how to actually make plays.

Like, for instance, we played a game last night and I got to play Kat mid after what felt like forever (no, seriously, I think it's been like 9 months ;__;) vs a Xerath. My times going to roam were all over the place so I never actually made a play, just farmed and reacted poorly (e.g., that tower should have taken two pushes not three, top lane was a free gank multiple times). I overstayed in lane massively so my second back for items was practically my full Abyssal which compounded the earlier issue of doing nothing in lane since I was just storing gold.

I was basically saved by the fact my opponent did nothing that game with his item lead (Kage's early off his first back->Teleport vs anything else); he just gave a ton of respect to the idea that I could all-in him even though I never really took the shot. He could have been making plays, especially with Teleport, but we both just played a "I cleared the wave, your turn" game.

Einbroch

Banned
If creating a skin take a day for two people to get as far as they got (obviously they did nothing with particles/custom animations/etc), why are we only getting 2-3 skins a month?

Also, tits.

Q8D3vil

How to play Kayle

Burst Hyper Carry mage support (only if ahead or even): Dcap > liandry > Lich or nashor
Max Q > W > E

Sustained damage mage: Nashor > Liandry or lich > Dcap
Max Q > W > E

Ad Kayle: Just ignore this, it not efficient and waste of time.

Start with Doran and two pots, when you return buy 2 more dorans ( will help with mana issues + health).

Its not worth leveling up E before W, W sustain is just too good and E got good base %ap but the base doesn't scale well.

Newt

Realistically speaking, Kayle's E is never up when Renekton is in range. I mean, I agree that this is what Kayle wants to do but a good Renekton can get into range anyway once the E is down. E-AA-W is going to hurt and the window for doing it is rather wide. Especially given that Kayle will naturally be pushed up (or be up close if farming with regular auto attacks).

Essentially, Renekton has the tools to get himself where he wants to be. Kayle has the ability to keep him at bay but she can't actively prevent his gap close, merely dissuade the use of it and then disengage it. At the end of the day, it's Renekton vs a pseudo-ranged and his kit is all about getting into their safe zone; it takes a bit from the Renekton to win the match up but it's not really a near auto-win on the Kayle's side. Though, Kayle has the advantage at low levels (1-2) and should really, really, really press that there to make the rest of the laning phase smooth.
Yeah, I agree with you here than in the mid levels 3-5 Renekton is pretty equal to Kayle. At level 6 though Kayle is safe from his all-ins and she can keep E up constantly with Nasher's tooth.

JesseZao

3.11 Patch notes
http://beta.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/patch/patch-311-notes

lots of small changes + the blob nerfs to zac
this seems like a world championships patch contender

plus,

undo purchase+
Fixed the minimap bug showing champions at incorrect locations when emerging from the fog of war+
Cancelled Auto Attacks will no longer fire a damage-less missile at the target

horray.

That's a big plus. Finally!

Edit: Also, sometimes I see a phantom ward appear (very opaque) for a brief moment where you saw one placed previously. Maybe the code bug is related to the minimap bug. I haven't tested it explicitly, but it seems like it shows up around when the ward should be expiring.

Newt

That's a big plus. Finally!

Edit: Also, sometimes I see a phantom ward appear (very opaque) for a brief moment where you saw one placed previously. Maybe the code bug is related to the minimap bug. I haven't tested it explicitly, but it seems like it shows up around when the ward should be expiring.
When wards expire you can see them expire, not sure if we're talking about a different thing though.

Blizzard

Banned
undo purchase+
Fixed the minimap bug showing champions at incorrect locations when emerging from the fog of war+
Cancelled Auto Attacks will no longer fire a damage-less missile at the target
Yay, these are all great. I bought myself two of the mask thing that builds into Liandry's the other day. Though knowing me, I'd probably leave the shop before I noticed I had two. :(

I want Draven to remain viable but not complained/nerfed/picked/whatever all the time. I'm hoping people won't complain too much about the new passive. One awesome thing about it -- some games I hardly get any kills with Draven, so it will be nice to have a chance to see whatever special visuals or sounds they have for the League of Draven.

Actually, on that note, make sure to keep an eye on their respawn timer. Not just so you know when they're coming and how much time you have left in lane but so you can see if they bought their item while sitting there dead. Free information!

Thanks, that is helpful. I think I have seen new items that players bought before, and didn't know why I could see it when they were dead, but I suppose it sort of makes sense if the corpse remains in lane vision.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So what do you guys think of the Draven buffs? I'm ready to say that his new passive is going to be really good, one of the best out of all the marksmen.

Stahp.

DeadNames

Banned
its what he means, when wards die due to expiry, you get vision of them for the death animation

Follow the progress of qualifiers around the world:

Haha, hyped. It's weird. I wonder what kind of numbers Worlds will pull on Twitch. If Dota can get 1m... Holy shenanigans, LoL will get millions.

Definitely having a viewing party with my friends.

The pressure of placement matches.

I just want to finish them, but the pressure. 3 done, 7 to go.

I have 100% win rate in rank right now.
Too scared to play my 2nd rank match, I don't want to ruin perfection.

I know that feeling. So far second and third match were almost as easy as the first one.
It sucks because I haven't died in any of those three matches, it will bring my morale down when I die, even if I'm expecting to die in my next match.

mrw picking Soraka even if just for funzies
I got a 80% winrate on Soraka strangely enough. I max E for harass, then either W or Q next. I've won nearly all lane by just bullying with E->auto-attacks. Engaging with E means they can't strike back with an ability. The long silence lets you back off after an auto-attack to get out of their skill range.

garath

Guys. 78 lp in silver I. I'm losing my nerve. So close. I hate only getting to play a couple games here and there. Went 2-1 tonight. Both Zac wins. He still strong. My hecarim early game was stellar then the team fell apart. Crappy comp. So close!!

dimb

I got a 80% winrate on Soraka strangely enough. I max E for harass, then either W or Q next. I've won nearly all lane by just bullying with E->auto-attacks. Engaging with E means they can't strike back with an ability. The long silence lets you back off after an auto-attack to get out of their skill range.
With how many games though? Problem with Soraka is that her cooldowns are all really high outside of Starcall, and the silence is honestly not that long. Really Soraka's harass is pretty terrible. If you tried to pull that on like a Nami or something she will just auto back, W when the silence ends, and come out way ahead. Other problem is ranges. Soraka has very short range on top of no mobility or escape options. Good luck harassing when you are outranged by Nami bubble, or Zyra roots/plants, who both also put out more reliable damage and have hard CC. Soraka and Taric are in the same boat. Too much of a problem so they were nerfed into oblivion.

Soraka excels in no areas. Even if you just want to harass with Infuse you might as well play Fiddle and spam Dark Wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom