• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT4| No Country for Old Karma

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

I haven't spent a dime on this game. RP are from gift cards on my bday lol. Gotta admit though, getting some skins with them is testing me to actually buy more skins outta my pocket. D:

I don't regret it. I've spent way more on MMOs back in the 90s and 2000s. And it gave me a jump start on getting champs that I wouldn't have with just IP.

I am so weak when it comes to skins. A new one is announced and I'm like "oooooooooh shiny!"

I think I have a skin for everyone I play except for Diana, for obvious reasons. And I play soooooooo many champs.

I never pictured myself as a 'cosmetic item' purchaser, but damn. Some of those skins are pretty awesome. I can't help myself.

My biggest problem was buying skins just because they were on sale and I didn't have one for that champ. No good reason. A lot of them I've never actually used (Redeemed Riven, Crimson Akali) since I bought a different one I liked better later or I never play the champ. Silly. But so what. Go Riot!

scy

I'm curious as to where you are warding 25 minutes in? What lanes? Lane phase should be over, so the optimal areas to ward are obviously baron and dragon, as well as the two wraith camp areas, the curled brush to the right and left side of mid lane leading into blue buff area, and potentially their blue buff. You can generally cover more than one area too if you're smart with ward placement.

The middle of mid lane is nice too. Move this up or down depending on how far towers have been taken. The trilane bushes are still good to have vision on, especially since I split push a lot (to my team's detriment). Likewise, any aggressive jungle wards are welcomed (bush behind red buff, bushes near blue, etc.) to keep me from dying.

Basically, any of the fastest routes to get from one lane to the next is nice to have vision on.

Edit: Speaking of skins and all that, there's some changes coming to the prices of skins in the near (April 25th) future.

Not quoting all the price reductions so here's the ones increasing in price:
Sad Robot Amumu
iBlitzcrank
Soul Reaver Draven
Surprise Party Fiddlesticks
Steel Legion Garen
Frostblade Irelia
Warring Kingdoms Jarvan IV
Full Metal Jayce
Glacial Malphite
Blackthorn Morgana
Astronaut Nautilus
Arcade Sona
Tyrant Swain
Battlecast Urgot
Scorched Earth Xerath
Warring Kingdoms Xin Zhao
Pool Party Ziggs
Wildfire Zyra

(inb4 riot pls)

Wow. I'm sorry, but half of those skins that are moving up to 1350 aren't even very good.

I really don't like this. Guess I'm not buying more skins. They're expensive enough as is.

boo-this-man.gif

Welp, good thing I bought Soul Reaver Draven very early on. Oh, and they're reverting the Draven nerf, yay.

mercviper

The middle of mid lane is nice too. Move this up or down depending on how far towers have been taken. The trilane bushes are still good to have vision on, especially since I split push a lot (to my team's detriment). Likewise, any aggressive jungle wards are welcomed (bush behind red buff, bushes near blue, etc.) to keep me from dying.

Basically, any of the fastest routes to get from one lane to the next is nice to have vision on.

Edit: Speaking of skins and all that, there's some changes coming to the prices of skins in the near (April 25th) future.

(inb4 riot pls)

Fuck, guess I better spend that RP I bought right before I quit.

scy

To be fair, most of those skins are a lot better than most other 975s. I kind of wish they didn't move anything up in price, just do all the reductions and go, "Well, the past is the past" for these ones. Make the rules now and go from that. Oh well.

I didn't quote all the reductions though so do note that 79 skins are cheaper now. Granted, most of them probably suck so whatever, I guess.

Fuck, guess I better spend that RP I bought right before I quit.

pls come back ;__;

Einbroch

Banned
Whatever, I wanted Steel Legion Garen so I'm just going to buy him tonight and be done with it. Skins aren't necessary.

The "new champions are 7900 IP" thing peeved me far more than this change. They should do a "all skins 20% off" sale, though, like they did with Legacy skins.

Yeah, I have to say that even the difference between Sad Robot Amumu and Special Forces Gangplank (which I think is a pretty good candidate for proper vocal changes) was pretty noticeable in terms of quality. Special Forces GP is still my favourite skin, but I can definitely see where they want to improve consistency.

Regardless, maaaan everything costs sooo much.

garath

Crap. Good thing I own most of the skins that I want already that they're bumping. I got both blackthorn Morg and Glacial Malphite on sale. Pretty decent.

Except now I'll want Arcade sona and Warring kingdoms Xin.

The rest are useless to me.

edit: At least the 1350 tier is eligible for sales. I still want mecha Kha'zix and I'm sad I missed the bundle.

scy

Yeah, I have to say that even the difference between Sad Robot Amumu and Special Forces Gangplank (which I think is a pretty good candidate for proper vocal changes) was pretty noticeable in terms of quality. Special Forces GP is still my favourite skin, but I can definitely see where they want to improve consistency.

Regardless, maaaan everything costs sooo much.

I don't get a few of them (Frostblade Irelia? Tyrant Swain? Who the fuck plays Urgot?) but, yeah, many of them are definitely just that much better than most other skins.

That said, swag Jayce > marine Jayce. ty Riot for making the worse skin more expensive.

And why is Steel Legion Garen going up in price but not Lux?

Whatever, I wanted Steel Legion Garen so I'm just going to buy him tonight and be done with it. Skins aren't necessary.

The "new champions are 7900 IP" thing peeved me far more than this change. They should do a "all skins 20% off" sale, though, like they did with Legacy skins.

To be fair, 40 skins are going down by 20% and 36 down by almost 50% (~46.6%). Not quite "all skins 20% off!" but, hey.

mercviper

pls come back ;__;

I probably should. All my indecision in what to play and having ranked game anxiety in SC2 has lead me to not playing much of anything and instead watching SC2 videos.

Edit: Not to mention I'm probably due to hit another drop in LoL rank due to inactivity. Gold 4 here i come!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Is this a joke? I don't understand the logic behind raising the prices on what are now old skins.

scy

I probably should. All my indecision in what to play and having ranked game anxiety in SC2 has lead me to not playing much of anything and instead watching SC2 videos.

lol

Should've joined us for our DotA2 adventures.

Which was a terrible idea.

So I guess you win.

Is this a joke? I don't understand the logic behind raising the prices on what are now old skins.

My honest expectation is that they'll go back and forth a bit with the community and then announce that those 18 skins won't go up in price after all (and/or do a sales promotion, torn on which here) and revel in the free goodwill.

dimb

How about Riot makes Lissandra's skin 520 RP at launch because it's lazy garbage?

Ken

Above and beyond the quality of 975 RP skins? High quality should always be expected of new skins regardless of some point value tier list.

Glacial Malphite is nine months old. That's different from creating a new tier.

Above and beyond the quality of 975 RP skins? High quality should always be expected of new skins regardless of some point value tier list.
It doesn't mean 975 skins will be poor quality. It just means they will have spent more time on 1350 skins, and even more time on Legendary. That's not what's silly here.

scy

They really should have just created a new tier and not moved anything. Just cited examples of what that tier would be (or just call it "Mecha goddamn Kha'zix" Tier) and be done with it. Retroactively moving some up there is a little ... eh. I get the sentiment (those skins are above-and-beyond other 975 skins) but just accept that they were underpriced originally.

Whatever.

I'll end up buying like two of those I'm missing and want. Because I hate myself.

inky

edit: At least the 1350 tier is eligible for sales. I still want mecha Kha'zix and I'm sad I missed the bundle.

Probably the only skin I genuinely wanted and missed. Ended up getting regular Kha'Zix only, although I haven't played more than once or twice in weeks.

Increasing prices... Oh Riot. Everything is already too expensive for my tastes, but what do I know.

dimb

Nothing about the changes even make sense. Why not up stuff like Celestine Soraka or Rocket Girl Tristana?
Blackthorn Morgana is even older. I bought it for like four hundred something on sale. Frostblade Irelia will be almost a year old when this change goes through. Surprise Party Fiddlesticks will be a year and a half old and was released as a birthday present for League.

falastini

Some of those older skins are just shameful recolors, so I'm glad they're trying to develop more impressive skins, but I wish they weren't raising the price.

And I don't understand some of their pricing tiers... like Commando and Spelltheif Lux. I'd figure they would be similarly priced. I guess they're basing it on popularity as well.

Oh, and Syndra sale... I might jump on that. I never tried her on free week though. Her mechanics are weird enough that I'm either gonna love her or hate her.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Holy hell I just realized 1350 RP is basically $10. Wat. I'm willing to pay $10 for something like the Dishonored DLC coming out next week, but for a skin? Man, Riot is making bank.

Sadly it doesn't matter whether or not these changes make much sense. Skins sell, and as long as people buy skins that are arguably overpriced, Riot will keep making skins at those price points. And I can't really blame them for that.

Holy hell I just realized 1350 RP is basically $10. Wat. I'm willing to pay $10 for something like the Dishonored DLC coming out next week, but for a skin? Man, Riot is making bank.

Yup, and I believe Pulsefire Ezreal is about $25 dollars if I'm not mistaken.

Nothing about the changes even make sense. Why not up stuff like Celestine Soraka or Rocket Girl Tristana?

Blackthorn Morgana is even older. I bought it for like four hundred something on sale. Frostblade Irelia will be almost a year old when this change goes through. Surprise Party Fiddlesticks will be a year and a half old and was released as a birthday present for League.
Oh true. I do feel like if Glacial Malphite came out now, it would belong in that tier. Those three aren't even that special and they're a year+ old. Very strange.

garath

yeah. That's the reason for the obscure space bucks. Harder to translate that into real money. Lol.

I've bought AAA games for less money than one skin. The sale prices aren't too bad at ~$3.50. I've only bought 1 skin full price so far. It'll be 2 or 3 if I'm going to get the Xin and Sona skins.

garath

Should throw purple zac in too.

Maybe it's my blinders because I bought the stupid thing but I'm starting to appreciate the purple Zac the more I see of the green ones. The attack animations, voices and passive blobs are so much nicer on purple Zac.

scy

Sadly it doesn't matter whether or not these changes make much sense. Skins sell, and as long as people buy skins that are arguably overpriced, Riot will keep making skins at those price points. And I can't really blame them for that.

I'm part of the problem.

I'm sorry.

Yup, and I believe Pulsefire Ezreal is about $25 dollars if I'm not mistaken.

At least it has the decency of changing every aspect of him. By the sound of the post, we're definitely getting at least one more "Ultimate" skin this year. Oh boy?

Xetherion

Edit: thank God they're reverting the Draven axe change, or at least the one that was fucking things up. Good guy Volty with the humbling post.

Alright, glad they caught on and decided to revert that so quickly. Really cool of Volty to share his thought process with us like that too. Apparently he designed Vayne as well, Vayne and Draven are my favorite ADC's to play as. I'd like to meet Volty and shake his hand some day.

garath

I'm part of the problem.

I'm sorry.

At least it has the decency of changing every aspect of him. By the sound of the post, we're definitely getting at least one more "Ultimate" skin this year. Oh boy?

It'll have to be a popular champ... Hmmm.. Ultimate Lux?

zkylon

zkylewd

(inb4 riot pls)
what's sad is that people will treat price raises with joy and cheers

don't toy with my heart, little boy

scy

Considering all the changes, I'm going with Ultimate Udyr. Maybe Ultimate Ashe, to go with the Freljord patch. Though I doubt they'll do another ADC.

It'll end up being something I play and I'll hate them for making me buy it.

what's sad is that people will treat price raises with joy and cheers

Meh, I don't mind it. I find moving old ones into that tier a bit silly, sure, but eh. Ever since Mecha Kha'zix, I was kind of expecting 1350 skins eventually anyway. I just hope that the new 1350s actually are Mecha Kha'zix level stuff; some of the 975s moving there aren't stuff I'd really want to pay 1350 for (seriously, what's dat ass Irelia add that I'm forgetting?)

We'll see, I guess.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Can you still install those custom skin mods? People you play against won't be able to see your cool skins, but at least you will, and they're free.

Edwardo

Stuck between wanting to buy more champs and wanting to buy runes lately. I'm about to hit 25 so I think i'll end up spending all my ip on runes so that when I hit 30 I can have all 3 of my rune pages filled up.

Been considering just using RP to buy champs i'm interested in when they go on sale.

garath

Stuck between wanting to buy more champs and wanting to buy runes lately. I'm about to hit 25 so I think i'll end up spending all my ip on runes so that when I hit 30 I can have all 3 of my rune pages filled up.

Been considering just using RP to buy champs i'm interested in when they go on sale.

That's the way I started. All IP for runes until I was happy with my 10 pages. I bought champs on sale or if they were less than 3150 IP.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

(inb4 riot pls)

Increasing in price? What the fuck? Uh. I'm quitting. Fuck this game.

zkylon

zkylewd
Meh, I don't mind it. I find moving old ones into that tier a bit silly, sure, but eh. Ever since Mecha Kha'zix, I was kind of expecting 1350 skins eventually anyway. I just hope that the new 1350s actually are Mecha Kha'zix level stuff; some of the 975s moving there aren't stuff I'd really want to pay 1350 for (seriously, what's dat ass Irelia add that I'm forgetting?)
yeah what mostly annoys me is them raising existing 987 skins to 1350.

We'll see, I guess.
this makes me all the more glad to have bought arcade sona off ebay

next time chogath will start costing 3150ip since he's so good and he's got his own spinoff mini game, am I doing it right?

Can you still install those custom skin mods? People you play against won't be able to see your cool skins, but at least you will, and they're free.
thing is that all champions have the skin, in your team and theirs. make it less fun imo.

I own the majority of the increasing list. The ones I don't have I don't like (jarvan/Xin/Urgot) or because I don't own(and hate) the champ(amumu/garen). Everything else I own. Thank god. I hate gouging. Not sure if I'll be supporting future skin purchases if they are hiking everything up.
... oh who am i kidding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom