• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT6| My AP Mid Can't Be This Cute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Thanks for the info guys, odd that some players would opt to build BoRK for Olaf, but I guess that's for Jungle Olaf? Eh I'm ass at jungling so I'll focus on tanking.

zkylon

zkylewd
i had this friend that played shen with like trinity force and bjork and would go ham like crazy. i never seen a shen win so many lanes as him, he was amazing

he'd buy deathcap on renekton too, he's insane

but like this dude was super laser focused on these champions and he'd either stomp lane or get stomped, though the former a lot more often than the latter.

Thanks for the info guys, odd that some players would opt to build BoRK for Olaf, but I guess that's for Jungle Olaf? Eh I'm ass at jungling so I'll focus on tanking.
well olaf actually is like perfect for bjork

like his kit already gives him lifesteal, enhanced healing and attack speed, so bjork just enhances all of that, plus the super awesome active

he mostly builds tank aside from that tho, he deals a shit ton of true damage for free so not that much need for damage items.

Quas used to first build Trinity Force on Shen just to completely catch people off-guard who don't expect Shen to be a legitimate diving threat in lane.

But, he'd still go into full tank items immediately afterwards. It was more of a, "No one expects the Shenquisition!" sort of thing to play off the fact that most top laners just sort of assume Shen is going to be harmless away from his turret until late game.

Nekofrog

Banned
the entire point of olaf is to throw down his ultimate and charge at the ad carry, unable to be CC'ed off. this is where a bork is really useful. drop it on the adc when you're diving and it's hard for them to get away.

zkylon

zkylewd
Quas used to first build Trinity Force on Shen just to completely catch people off-guard who don't expect Shen to be a legitimate diving threat in lane.

But, he'd still go into full tank items immediately afterwards. It was more of a, "No one expects the Shenquisition!" sort of thing to play off the fact that most top laners just sort of assume Shen is going to be harmless away from his turret until late game.
yea back when my friend played the game he was a weird kind of insane. he literally only played rumble and renekton, and at one point added shen and riven

he'd like always cheese people and dive them at like level 3, and then split push all game long. used to leave me a lot of room to do better in lane (this was assassin meta s3 in which i was getting beaten mid pretty much every game) since i'd get jungle help or at least keep me safe from ganks since he was always going ham top, often pulling jungler and mid to stop him heh

too bad he stopped playing, he really set up our ranked 5s team :/

What does Olaf do?

He runs at people and auto attacks them.

Therefore botrk is a good item on him.

But as people said, only if you're far ahead. Just looking at his kit you should be able to tell building damage is dumb as he has no way of avoiding death like a Tryndamere type carry can. If he builds damage the other team just blows him up. 1 item is fine if you're ahead because your xp advantage will make you somewhat tanky and your being ahead will allow you to get your tank items sooner, but more than that is almost always a bad idea.

zkylon

zkylewd
apparently meddler's looking into changing lissandra's passive

seems like he's making it to be a shield not unlike yasuo's that gets charged when you apply cc (so like every spell but e)

i guess that's ok, her live passive is pretty boring and like i can relate cc and ice but mana-free spell every 18s is kind of random, even tho it's reduced by cc.

a shield is still pretty random but seems a lot more useful, specially for her laning since it'd basically give her free trades if she gets in range

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Criticals are the biggest numbers.

They should make a mage that can benefit from crit

I miss wow mages
ACTIVE: Anivia fires a shard of ice to deal magic damage to a target enemy. Frostbite deals double damage to enemies that are Chilled.

why arent you playing bird waifu boken?

apparently meddler's looking into changing lissandra's passive
:( i like her passive.

Leezard

Itemising would be hell for a crit mage of they had to build items for it. It would likely be terrible to balance as well, rng sucks. Just look at ogre mage from dota.

Boken

Banned
ACTIVE: Anivia fires a shard of ice to deal magic damage to a target enemy. Frostbite deals double damage to enemies that are Chilled.

why arent you playing bird waifu boken?

O Yea, anivia has an Ap crit
Itemising would be hell for a crit mage of they had to build items for it. It would likely be terrible to balance as well, rng sucks. Just look at ogre mage from dota.
Well ogre mage doesn't have to sacrifice slots or gold for that rng. Yeah, itemising would be hell, hence the crit should be worth their while.
I see the centre of ziggs and pantheon ult as an ap crit
Hey Nah, the centre is What U shud be hitting anyway

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
just have the passive be 5% crit chance per 100 current mana.
then have all the spells be large cooldown skillshots and the ult is a self buff that guarantees a 100% crit chance but doubles the mana cost of your spells.
then report jungler for not giving you blue.

DeadNames

Banned
Playing Riven is like playing an entire different game.

No mana, low cooldowns, mobility out the ass and spammable skills.

Sounds like a fighting game :^)

zkylon

zkylewd

well it's not 100% sure it'll replace her current passive, maybe she'll just have two like yasuo:

Lissandra wise I've been pondering some passive tweaks. Have tested out a couple of alternatives that tie in with her need to dive into fights (conditional ice shields). Haven't yet hit on anything that hits the mark, nor determined whether that would be instead of or in addition to her current passive. Going to keep testing, no guarantees that'll go anywhere though.

One of the passives I've been looking at's pretty similar to that actually, though based on a stack building system, with a shield at max stacks, and stacks gained when you CC an enemy (more stacks for champs/less for minions). Current version, due to the CD in particular, runs into some issues where it just happens in team fights, and so there's a lot less gameplay created than I'd like. Going to try tuning it when time permits, see if there's a version that minimizes that issue.

The problem with Lissandra's passive is that it's just... there.

You have super low mana costs and you're building either Morello's or Athene's anyways, so by the time you hit like level 5 you already have no passive.

Ferga

lissandra's passive doesn't fit in with her kit

It's a passive that a high mana cost, long range poke champ should have. Like old xerath.

I like the sound of the shield though. Hit E or W and get a shield.

zkylon

zkylewd
The problem with Lissandra's passive is that it's just... there.

You have super low mana costs and you're building either Morello's or Athene's anyways, so by the time you hit like level 5 you already have no passive.
her mana costs are kinda high actually. at least early game

at early levels her passive is really important for her sustain in lane since her spam spell (q) costs 85 mana at all ranks. thing is, her mana costs don't increase so much with ranks (say unlike lux), so between her passive and blue buff she doesn't really need athene's and can afford going dfg-zhonyas.

but like there's so little actual gameplay in her passive, at least with xerath's new passive there's the whole risk reward thing about landing basic attacks on champions. lizzy just randomly gets free spells, and you don't ever are like at 60 mana and like throw a w to reduce cd on passive and get a free ult that you wouldn't be able to cast if it weren't for the passive. it'd be pretty cool but i've never done it on key moments. every now and then i'll trade a w to speed up passive and get a free q but like it's a weird micromanagement thing that i don't think it's very fun :/

ed: also i personally don't rush athene's on her (i usually get it as like 3rd or 4th item after i have dfg/zhonya-void staff) so i do think it's useful, at least early on. but like they could just remove it and retune her mana costs and just be done with it. she feels unnecessarily mana gated since it's not like she's a very poke oriented champion or anything and like you say the passive just doesn't scale into lategame

lissandra's passive doesn't fit in with her kit

It's a passive that a high mana cost, long range poke champ should have. Like old xerath.

I like the sound of the shield though. Hit E or W and get a shield.
i think what i don't like about the shield is that you're not really supposed to get hit as lizzy. she's not a tanky mid, she either bush bursts people in one combo with dfg or like double zhonyas to bait engages.

so like i dunno if i care for a shield that won't really get me out of the gigantic mess i've gotten myself into by dashing into the entire enemy team as a squishy ap mid lol

Her mana costs are balanced around the fact that she has that passive - and even then she's no Lux. The problem with her passive is that yeah, it helps for early laning so you don't run oom easily, but after that it'll hardly matter.

A passive with a shield that actually helps her role as an initiation mage while getting lower mana costs on her Q would be much better, and if she has to lose one for the other then so be it IMO.
i think what i don't like about the shield is that you're not really supposed to get hit as lizzy. she's not a tanky mid, she either bush bursts people in one combo with dfg or like double zhonyas to bait engages.

so like i dunno if i care for a shield that won't really get me out of the gigantic mess i've gotten myself into by dashing into the entire enemy team as a squishy ap mid lol
I think you're playing Lissandra differently from what she normally is played like lol DFG is a luxury item, not your main purchase

People don't actually go burst mage right off the bat on her, they go tanky initiation mage, sort of like Diana was built before the nerfs.

zer0das

Banned

In teamfights you generally are eating a significant amount of slows when you're Ragnaroking and running down the enemy team's important members. Sometimes Randuins Omen is enough of a slow to stick to your target while you are ghosting, but if the other team drafted with you in mind (ie, one or two really strong slows), then BotRK is really useful.

It's also probably one of his better items in a straight up 1v1, provided you have enough tankiness.

Though you could also build Triforce, Frozen Mallet, or the improved boot upgrades to help with the stickiness issue.

Edwardo

So i'm duoing ranked last night at my buddy's house. We were losing the first half of the game and just started making the comeback. Then it happened... "Attempting to reconnect." So he runs upstairs and resets the router, which usually fixes it, but we still cant reconnect. Then I relog and hit connect, but I just got a black screen for 2 minutes until I got a popup asking to retry connecting because of a firewall issue or something. We keep trying to reconnect to the match for 5-10 more minutes until the option went away, so I assumed we lost. We check our match history, but nothing shows up. I checked it again this morning and the same thing. It's like the match never happened :O

garath

this thing you guys are doing actually sounds really cool for me to find maybe a doto hero i'd like. now i'm tempted to try out this dark seer person

also i like this thing rito is doing: http://community.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/balance/BdiOr6zf-46-patch-forecast

basically doing a high level summary of what they're looking to do in 4.6. i love all this design talk, ty rito

Interesting.

Rengar buffs? I'm ok with that. I think I really like him in the jungle. He already seems pretty good to me honestly.

Kassadin buffs? Booo.

top lane buffs? Ok. Diversity is good.

Jungle changes? No thank you. I like the jungle the way it is. It's so much more fun than playing a tank/cc bot. If they can somehow balance it where both tank and carry junglers are viable then I'll be fine with that but I'm not sure it's possible. Either they nerf spirit stone so carry junglers have serious sustain issues and tank is the safe way to go or buff tank junglers to actually do damage in the jungle to be able to keep up with the carry in clear speed. But how? If you change the jungle items to make them stronger it will just make the carry junglers stronger.

Oh well. I've been enjoying ADC so I'll just switch there if they ruin the jungle.

Tizoc

Dear god, Taric needs a model and Visual Update ASAP.
Other than that...I liked him, didn't think I would but I did. I built him tank along with giving him Face the Mountain, and then went on to tanking him. We won the game but no thanks to me...I died maybe 10+ times >_>

cHinzo

So i'm duoing ranked last night at my buddy's house. We were losing the first half of the game and just started making the comeback. Then it happened... "Attempting to reconnect." So he runs upstairs and resets the router, which usually fixes it, but we still cant reconnect. Then I relog and hit connect, but I just got a black screen for 2 minutes until I got a popup asking to retry connecting because of a firewall issue or something. We keep trying to reconnect to the match for 5-10 more minutes until the option went away, so I assumed we lost. We check our match history, but nothing shows up. I checked it again this morning and the same thing. It's like the match never happened :O

Sounds like you got drophacked to me.

Leezard

just have the passive be 5% crit chance per 100 current mana.
then have all the spells be large cooldown skillshots and the ult is a self buff that guarantees a 100% crit chance but doubles the mana cost of your spells.
then report jungler for not giving you blue.

O Yea, anivia has an Ap crit

Well ogre mage doesn't have to sacrifice slots or gold for that rng. Yeah, itemising would be hell, hence the crit should be worth their while.

Hey Nah, the centre is What U shud be hitting anyway
It would still be really bad, adding more rng sucks. It would be more likely to work like corki ult and you know it.

Ogre magi is still so terrible, his only redeeming factor is his voice over that makes fun of his terrible skill design. He is absolutely hilarious.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
crit isnt true RNG tho, it's cheaty-RNG. Each auto that does or does not crit will change the odds of the next autos chance to crit. The system is designed so that you wont get 10 crits in a row from RNG luck.

Leezard

crit isnt true RNG tho, it's cheaty-RNG. Each auto that does or does not crit will change the odds of the next autos chance to crit. The system is designed so that you wont get 10 crits in a row from RNG luck.

Of course, but I still think it's bad. The less rng the better.

EDIT - Wait we're talking about a potential crit mage. Well I still think it would probably be shitty, it's hard to balance a champion based on random chances, hell, just look at Quinn. But specific combos like Anivia are a cool thing - hehe get it.

This idea gets 2 manatank Kassadins out of 10

garath

That sounds like the game dropped from Riot's side. Else it would show up in your match history.

Runes.

I bought flat CDR blues. I think I'll get scaling health seals next. Then if I can afford it, flat health seals.

I already have armor quints and health regen seals. I have attack speed everything. I think I'm covered pretty well. I've been looking at probuilds and not seeing much crazy. People seem to be fond of jungling now with a page like:

AD quints
AD or attack speed marks
scaling health seals
flat CDR glyphs

It's a little wonky to me but I'll give it a go. No armor just seems so strange but I guess the added health is nice.

Oh and wriggles gold generation sucks. It is nothing compared to conservation and that's the only thing holding that item back for me right now.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
EDIT - Wait we're talking about a potential crit mage. Well I still think it would probably be shitty, it's hard to balance a champion based on random chances, hell, just look at Quinn.

the idea isnt to have spells crit, the idea is to have a champion whose spells can crit.

edit: you edited too fast

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
somewhat offtopic, but remember way back when riot wanted to put goth annie for sale as a regular skin and the community freaked out?

well, i noticed this today:
eESRKVs.jpg

It's not technically random but you can't exactly fully control it

It's pretty easy to control actually, especially with the QoL change the last patch. Before it comes off cooldown, auto the enemy you want the passive on. It will always prioritise the last thing you hit, followed by low health champions and then low health minions

somewhat offtopic, but remember way back when riot wanted to put goth annie for sale as a regular skin and the community freaked out?

eESRKVs.jpg
It's funny that back then flexible bundles were already a thing but people still wanted to bitch about MUH SPESHUL SKIN

Boken

Banned
EDIT - Wait we're talking about a potential crit mage. Well I still think it would probably be shitty, it's hard to balance a champion based on random chances, hell, just look at Quinn. But specific combos like Anivia are a cool thing - hehe get it.

i bet u hate adc too

all im trying to do is create a hypercarry mage that doesnt have to rely on being super tanky (RIZE) or disgustinly mobile (kassdin)

the crit isnt BAKED into the champ, so its not random lane killing rng
the passive is that the abilities may roll 2xcrit% to crit for 150% or something. the number will have to change to make it worthwhile for a mage to buy crit itemz

It prioritizes stuff but sometimes Valor doesn't feel like it.
its not sometimes valor doesnt feel like it
the priority system is strict

Boken

Banned
o yea karthus is a good one thnx phillipcostigan

i still think a mage with crit itemisation has design space potentials

Newt

You pretty much already know the minion/champion that valor is going to target if you're good with Quinn. Harrier is pretty reliable.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

It prioritizes stuff but sometimes Valor doesn't feel like it. I just wish the "recently attacked target" window was larger, I guess.
well it has a visible cooldown now, so just auto something 2-1 seconds before it comes up.

try it on golems, it works every time.

boken said:
all im trying to do is create a hypercarry mage that doesnt have to rely on being super tanky (RIZE) or disgustinly mobile (kassdin)
bird and snake waifu.

or brand husbando if thats your thing.

It's pretty easy to control actually, especially with the QoL change the last patch. Before it comes off cooldown, auto the enemy you want the passive on. It will always prioritise the last thing you hit, followed by low health champions and then low health minions
So they changed her last patch? That explains my ignorance then. Might as well give her another go

Vlad, sort of?

garath

eESRKVs.jpg

Ooh. I want to be special with Goth annie. Except I'd also end up with Trynd, Teemo and Zilean.

Boken

Banned
well it has a visible cooldown now, so just auto something 2-1 seconds before it comes up.

try it on golems, it works every time.

bird and snake waifu.

or brand husbando if thats your thing.
bird is a control mage and with increasing time just gets more mana to lay her ult longer. not hypar carry

snaku girl does have impressive dmg potentials n adc like gameplay. could be hyper carry but short range means she dies
Vlad, sort of?
vlad is another one of those dirty late tanky mages.

i just thought itd be interesting for a mage to have quad scaling (ap, pen, cdr, crit) like adc. imagine a mid-long skillshot mage with crit scaling
at least it has counterplay unlike ryz

ps i have nothing against dirty late game tanky mage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom