• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT7| She Ezreal To Me, Dammit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sofo

Thanks all for your replies!

for csing as a mage you might try just hitting all minions once or twice then using your waveclear spell to instantly kill em all. with lux specially you kind of want to do the opposite and leave them to be killed with your passive procs but you can like hit every caster minion once, e the wave so that all casters die immediatelly and then proc passive on every melee.

i also like running the mastery that adds damage to your attacks against minions and buy double dorans on most games which really boosts your waveclear early on

if you try to always back from base with a little more ap than before (also having ap/lvl runes helps) you shouldn't have much trouble clearing mostly with spells

you might like ahri mid lane. she's kind of a hard skillcap but not really and she's lots of fun and also has tons of pretty skins

I got to try Ahri once, with some friends on 3v3 (we were 6 of us), and it felt quite some fun! My problem with last hitting as mage is that I want to be conservative on abilities and just use autos. I was trying to practice using this guide that I found on reddit (which helped enough on CSing as ADC and Thresh). Just sometimes I get worked over missing CS @_@.

You could always learn Akali.

I have never tried it but seems fairly easy? Idk, I just find her really ugly. .__.

Top lane is a lot of FOTM champs but the old tried and true ones you can rely on are:

Renekton
Irelia
Jax
Riven

Mid Lane all arounders:

Ahri
Zed
Yasuo
Kassadin (banned often though)
Katarina (I only put her here because she's cheap and a lot of fun to play. Currently strong in solo queue)

I guess I'll start saving for Riven/Ahri! I got to try Katarina when it was free on the last rotation, and I really sucked at her on a couple of ARAMs (a friend told me I was interrupting the ult, as well!). I'm actually eager to try other lanes, but I'm kinda scared that I will feed or something. ._. I guess having leveled 1 to 29 almost only as support wasn't that great of an idea!

garath

Thanks all for your replies!

I got to try Ahri once, with some friends on 3v3 (we were 6 of us), and it felt quite some fun! My problem with last hitting as mage is that I want to be conservative on abilities and just use autos. I was trying to practice using this guide that I found on reddit (which helped enough on CSing as ADC and Thresh). Just sometimes I get worked over missing CS @_@.

I have never tried it but seems fairly easy? Idk, I just find her really ugly. .__.

I guess I'll start saving for Riven/Ahri! I got to try Katarina when it was free on the last rotation, and I really sucked at her on a couple of ARAMs (a friend told me I was interrupting the ult, as well!). I'm actually eager to try other lanes, but I'm kinda scared that I will feed or something. ._. I guess having leveled 1 to 29 almost only as support wasn't that great of an idea!

Don't be afraid to try new things in normal games. That's what they are there for. Mute is your friend. :)

Akali with the bloodmoon skin is the best Akali.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rRZH8-_zOE

Ferrio

Banned

If you get riven, expect to put a lot of time in on her. One of the most difficult champs to play well, and severally punishing if you don't.

Leezard

So I just got an interesting email from "email.riotgames.com", which appears legit enough. Apparently they are introducing a new ranked tier alongside some changes to Challenger. Essentially, Challenger stays to be the best tier, and Masters will be a bit below Challenger but above Diamond 1.

fb4105c391b5fc215ae88424b79fb0f1.png

673cb64fb5c5695ff64a6160ec691c8b.png

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"Queue times at high levels are too long, please play more games or we 'demote' you."

zkylon

zkylewd
yea i know what you mean, i get kind of frustrated on those games you seem to miss every fucking cs

about abilities, idk, to me if i have a full mana bar and ready cooldowns i feel like i'm wasting it, so i'll try to get some harass on or just push the lane so that i'm doing something to annoy the other player.

it's all practice, maybe don't jump from someone like ahri to fizz or you'll get your timings messed up but it's just timing you autos with minions and getting used to how much damage you deal (very little, around 10-15% minion hp) and just learning to prepare waves with spells/for spells.

but like if you're sitting on a full mana bar you're wasting stats, trade your mana for the other champion's and then last hit better so that you get mana back that they don't cos they're missing cs under turret like fools. a killing combo doesn't take 75% of your mana anyways

also i dunno why you would want to practice csing as thresh :I

i used to really like akali and then not anymore

like if you enjoy having a miserable laning experience until lvl 6 go ahead but there are many other champions i'd rather play than akali

zkylon

zkylewd
"Queue times at high levels are too long, please play more games or we 'demote' you."
it just means challenger tier will be mostly pros since no one else actually plays competitively every day

i like the idea, specially since it'll take diamonds down a peg hehe

Haly

This has nothing to do with queue times at all since only mmr, not position, affects it.

I'm just reading between the lines.

This is a lot of entirely cosmetic e-peen stuff that will simply have the net effect of encouraging people at that rank to grind games, which conveniently solves the problem of ridiculous queue times at Diamond/Challenger.
Hearthstone Legend ladder except a special name to the top X.

Nice.

Pretty much this.

zkylon

zkylewd
very much doubt this'll (noticeably) reduce queue times as adding an extra league won't suddenly create thousands of high mmr players

it might discourage players to play on smurfs but i don't fully know how challenger worked before so i dunno. maybe that'll actually help

scy

On paper it's trying to create a league that encourages people playing constantly at the top end. That they're constantly making progress. In addition, it removes the failsafes so you want to be constantly playing to keep the spot instead of grabbing it when needed at the end.

It will either promote a ton of play constantly to stay competitive (since the ladder can never be fully out of reach) or it'll stagnate as people wait it out and grind when it matters (which is unlikely, honestly, with how many people are involved and that it's a team game). We'll have to see how it pans out with the players though.

Haly

very much doubt this'll (noticeably) reduce queue times as adding an extra league won't suddenly create thousands of high mmr players

With this new system, if my understanding is correct, if you want to stay in Challenger, you need to keep grinding because everyone's MMR will be increasing at the same time. Since "Top 200" is relative it doesn't really matter how many people are "high mmr", or how good they are. If HotshotGG or your streamer-of-choice stopped playing after achieving Challenger, they're going to fall out eventually as weaker pub players push them out from the top by grinding more LP.

This is mostly conjecture based on how DOTA2's leaderboards panned out.

What actually happened there was:

1) Some pros aimed for the leaderboards, especially the ones with streams, because it's good PR
2) Most pros continued to scrim against other pros because ranked is meaningless for a lot of them
3) People at higher levels played more games in general, and played it in the most brutally efficient way possible in a bid to get to the top

I'm confident this same situation will reoccur in League, and will be significantly magnified because of the gigantic player base and only 200 spots to fight for. So, net result is just more games and lower queue times for the bracket that needed it the most.

Sofo

yea i know what you mean, i get kind of frustrated on those games you seem to miss every fucking cs

about abilities, idk, to me if i have a full mana bar and ready cooldowns i feel like i'm wasting it, so i'll try to get some harass on or just push the lane so that i'm doing something to annoy the other player.

it's all practice, maybe don't jump from someone like ahri to fizz or you'll get your timings messed up but it's just timing you autos with minions and getting used to how much damage you deal (very little, around 10-15% minion hp) and just learning to prepare waves with spells/for spells.

but like if you're sitting on a full mana bar you're wasting stats, trade your mana for the other champion's and then last hit better so that you get mana back that they don't cos they're missing cs under turret like fools. a killing combo doesn't take 75% of your mana anyways

also i dunno why you would want to practice csing as thresh :I

i used to really like akali and then not anymore

like if you enjoy having a miserable laning experience until lvl 6 go ahead but there are many other champions i'd rather play than akali

Right, I get what you mean! Generally when I've had to deal with mid lane (and I tend to use Annie or Morgana in those cases), it's been versus ranked (silver or gold) due to my friends being at those elos as well, and it's been a terrible experience.

Practicing CS on Thresh was because with the Relic Shield I don't get the execute, and because of that, there's a chance to miss CS, and then ADC might get violent, particularly if I miss the cannon! @_@

If you get riven, expect to put a lot of time in on her. One of the most difficult champs to play well, and severally punishing if you don't.

I can see how could that happen! I've been watching some vids from BoxBox. It's pretty cool to see someone do crazy things with Riven!

Don't be afraid to try new things in normal games. That's what they are there for. Mute is your friend. :)

Akali with the bloodmoon skin is the best Akali.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rRZH8-_zOE

True of course! But I have lost already so many Normals, don't wanna sink down more haha. That skin looks cool actually. :)

zkylon

zkylewd
ok not bitter about bonus rp thing anymore since apparently they recently did a pretty decent rework of rp prices and basically you get 6150 rp for 32usd which is pretty decent

they also had a bonus rp promo a while ago but i didn't go for it cos you know, there was nothing to buy with it at the time.

really wish we just had the sales and ip boosts things at the same time as the rest of the world, it's kinda annoying

With this new system, if my understanding is correct, if you want to stay in Challenger, you need to keep grinding because everyone's MMR will be increasing at the same time. Since "Top 200" is relative it doesn't really matter how many people are actually "high mmr", or how good they are. If HotshotGG or your streamer-of-choice stopped playing after achieving Challenger, they're going to fall out eventually as weaker pub players push them out from the top by grinding more LP.

This is mostly conjecture based on how DOTA2's leaderboards panned out.

What actually happened there was:

1) Some pros aimed for the leaderboards, especially the ones with streams, because it's good PR
2) Most others continued to scrim against other pros because ranked is meaningless for a lot of them
3) People at higher levels played more games in general, and played it in the most brutally efficient way possible in a bid to get to the top

I'm confident this same situation will reoccur in League, and will be significantly magnified because of the gigantic player base and only 200 spots to fight for. So, net result is just more games and lower queue times for the bracket that needed it the most.
this is how challenger works right now, tho it's not everyday so that might be it and you may be onto something

Right, I get what you mean! Generally when I've had to deal with mid lane (and I tend to use Annie or Morgana in those cases), it's been versus ranked (silver or gold) due to my friends being at those elos as well, and it's been a terrible experience.

Practicing CS on Thresh was because with the Relic Shield I don't get the execute, and because of that, there's a chance to miss CS, and then ADC might get violent, particularly if I miss the cannon! @_@
just make sure that cs > harass so like don't go for poking with autos or spells if it'll cost you cs (unless you're in a position of sending other mid back or whatever). just be cool and farm and watch your own minions so you can harass when they last hit or you can get a good lux e that kills a couple caster minions and also hits other mid

don't let yourself get pushed to turret, if you see enemy mid autoing minions start doing it as well so that wave's all nice even and reset in the middle.

Haly

Oh, in that case then this move seems like a fix to the current system, which seems like a bit of a mess.
Challenger Tier
The Challenger tier is the highest tier in the League ranked system and consists of the most skilled and competitive League of Legends players. Due to the competitive nature of this tier there is no LP inactivity decay but each time you gain the LP to move up one spot in the Challenger tier ladder someone gets pushed one spot down. After an inactivity period of 10 days, Challenger players are considered to be inactive and will be removed if another player qualifies to enter.
So they want to keep it mobile, basically.

Leezard

Oh, in that case then this move seems like a fix to the current system, which seems like a bit of a mess.

So they want to keep it mobile, basically.

Pretty much. Last year people "saved" their promos for challenger to get in and let the season end during their immunity from demotion.

Sofo

just make sure that cs > harass so like don't go for poking with autos or spells if it'll cost you cs (unless you're in a position of sending other mid back or whatever). just be cool and farm and watch your own minions so you can harass when they last hit or you can get a good lux e that kills a couple caster minions and also hits other mid

don't let yourself get pushed to turret, if you see enemy mid autoing minions start doing it as well so that wave's all nice even and reset in the middle.

Oh, these are very good tips :) I'll try to put them into use! Thanks again!

Nekofrog

Banned
Man Leo is pretty scary again. I don't like this.

strange you mention that, i've seen a recent resurgence of leona. she was in at least 3 of the 6 games panda and i played last night iirc when it's usually been nothing but morgana/nami

actually i almost never see thresh now that i think about it.

not seeing leona for such a long time makes you forget just how safe you have to play in lane against her in some matchups

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh, these are very good tips :) I'll try to put them into use! Thanks again!

np

strange you mention that, i've seen a recent resurgence of leona. she was in at least 3 of the 6 games panda and i played last night iirc when it's usually been nothing but morgana/nami

actually i almost never see thresh now that i think about it.

not seeing leona for such a long time makes you forget just how safe you have to play in lane against her in some matchups

poor threshie

he deserves better

Blizzard

Banned
I've been banning Leona and Thresh virtually every time I get first pick in ranked, for months.

They may be terrible bans, but it is a little funny when it makes people scramble for alternate supports, and basically I ban them because I don't want to play against either of them, and I'm a rebel darnit. The other team often bans Braum to complete the mix.

Jeff-DSA

I ban Leona sometimes, but will always ban Braum if they don't. Right now my most common bans are:

- Tristana (always)
- Jax (I'm not afraid of him anymore, but people cry out to ban him)
- Kassadin (same)
- Braum
- Leona
- Yasuo

Blizzard

Banned
I don't ban Jax because the other team almost always bans him, and even if they don't, I almost always play top so I'll be playing against him if he's in game. Not to mention, since he's always banned, if the other team picks him, they probably haven't had much experience practicing Jax.

I'm sure there will be 1 out of every 50 games or so where I run into a Jax AND they're a good player, but so far that's been the least of my problems.

zkylon

zkylewd
I've been banning Leona and Thresh virtually every time I get first pick in ranked, for months.

They may be terrible bans, but it is a little funny when it makes people scramble for alternate supports, and basically I ban them because I don't want to play against either of them, and I'm a rebel darnit. The other team often bans Braum to complete the mix.

i dunno sounds to me like you're setting them up for a free win

mrmztPPshIFUgWJB

Still seeing him in plenty of high elo streams. Still an amazing kit.
yeah i know :p

i think the last batch of nerfs was a bit brutal and unneeded tbh. like i agree that utility should be the number one thing specially for threshie but they took out a lot of damage and a lot of shields in one go

like always i prefer measured rito when it comes to champion nerfs and buffs and crazy rito on items and general game balance

Ferrio

Banned
Speaking of the fish, I snagged her last night.. no idea why. I rarely play support. Man.. I won't have enough for the furball either....damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom