• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT7| She Ezreal To Me, Dammit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edwardo

International Wildcard Tournament - Finals

EU Teams
Legacy Esports
Dark Passage

Legacy Esports vs Dark Passage
Best of Five
t1408006800z1.png

Please use the LCS thread for further discussion. Let's keep this thread spoiler free.

he's too squishy, no sustain and mega Gnar has poor sustained damage.

I doubt he would be even a competent jungler.
Just going by what I'm seeing from Nightblue. He looks susceptible to getting hunted down early on but beyond that he looks pretty strong.

Mega Gnar doesn't need sustained damage when he can just use all his shit and explode the camps.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
He looks like he could be a decent jungler, but yeah having assassins back with shit like Nidalee already up top might be rough if it turns he's a laner.
If he gets stuck jungling it's only because his laning phase isn't safe enough.

23qwerty

So now all we need for a full Arcade team is a top laner, Shyvana? Dragons are pretty video gamey. Would be a ways away still...

Burt

Playing against mini Gnar is like playing against a Fizz that's taunting you while wearing a Teemo skin. Infuriating chaser, infuriating to chase.

drawkcaB

I liked his comments on positioning in lane, level 2 control (though that should be pretty well known by now), minion control with harass, taking advantage of opportunities, and itemization.

The other thing I really liked is how he was emphasizing the team gold. As keeper of the majority of the teams gold with a 6-0 ahri, he had a responsibility to use it not just to make himself stronger but to control the map through his lane and warding. Instead the guy just bought stupid shit and like 2 wards the first 40min. And roamed poorly to get syndra back in the game.

Lots of good stuff in there. Things I see a lot of diamond 1 and challenger players doing all the time without really explaining it. Us trash gold players just run around trying to kill things. Poorly.

I wish he had gone into more explanation for why you want to mirror certain champions or do something with others. I don't understand why you'd want to position yourself that way vs. Syndra.

zkylon

zkylewd
I wish he had gone into more explanation for why you want to mirror certain champions or do something with others. I don't understand why you'd want to position yourself that way vs. Syndra.
yea i didn't get his reasoning either but i can imagine it's because syndra's spells go through minions ezpz, while ahri's is more nuanced

q has reduced dmg thru minions
w has trouble targetting if minions are nearby
e doesn't go thru minions

then again i wouldn't recommend ever facing your back towards the river unless you know where the jungler is and instead just always being in the lookout for angles to spirit rush diagonally and get a good position for charm

drawkcaB

yea i didn't get his reasoning either but i can imagine it's because syndra's spells go through minions ezpz, while ahri's is more nuanced

q has reduced dmg thru minions
w has trouble targetting if minions are nearby
e doesn't go thru minions

then again i wouldn't recommend ever facing your back towards the river unless you know where the jungler is and instead just always being in the lookout for angles to spirit rush diagonally and get a good position for charm

I suppose I didn't consider he was strictly speaking about Ahri's match-ups. He made it sound like a blanket statement. But when he explained, he told the player to move such that the minions would be in between Ahri and Syndra. That plays right into her though, doesn't it?

And like you said, he had Ahri move such that her back was to the river. I really don't understand the reasoning. I dunno, vs. champions with long rage poke that isn't reduced per target hit I tend to separate position myself to force the opposing player to choose between harass and spells to farm. They'll generally choose farm which opens up my own harass.

Oh, and I don't like the way he laughs at the people he's teaching, which he does quite a bit in his videos. The Ahri player took it in stride, but you can tell others were bothered. If he was just viewing random videos that's one thing, but the players he's coaching are paying him. Awfully unprofessional, but about par for "pro" gamers.

Blizzard

Banned
how many opinionz will i see about gnar when i wake up tmrw tho
dont fail me
He seems adorable, and his dinosaur suit is also pretty adorable. He's sort of the Teemo of yordles, aside from Teemo. Teemo and Gnar are pretty cool.

I haven't yet learned to read his rage meter so I never know when he is going to transform. Big Gnar seems very slow but has a lot of HP.

There are some opinions!

zkylon

zkylewd
tried a bit of ori against bots to get the hang of new ad, it's not too bad but i'm def missing a shit ton of cs. i'm probably imagining things but i think it took me two hits, turret shot and another hit to get a melee minion once.

ugh

i think i'll be switching to mpen reds for her too, i tested it a bit against bots and dpen just doesn't seem worth it, you lose some early damage but i'd rather have my level 6 burst be higher since early aa harass is basically meaningless now when put against other champions

like dpen i was dealing 38+14/20 on ori and 50+1 on syndra. at level 4 it's 41+22/30 vs 54+2 but yeah getting into 525 range of level 4 syndra for the 3 autos for passive is totally worth it -_-

if riot makes ori the victorious or the challenger skin i'm gonna be pissed

I suppose I didn't consider he was strictly speaking about Ahri's match-ups. He made it sound like a blanket statement. But when he explained, he told the player to move such that the minions would be in between Ahri and Syndra. That plays right into her though, doesn't it?

And like you said, he had Ahri move such that her back was to the river. I really don't understand the reasoning. I dunno, vs. champions with long rage poke that isn't reduced per target hit I tend to separate position myself to force the opposing player to choose between harass and spells to farm. They'll generally choose farm which opens up my own harass.

Oh, and I don't like the way he laughs at the people he's teaching, which he does quite a bit in his videos. The Ahri player took it in stride, but you can tell others were bothered. If he was just viewing random videos that's one thing, but the players he's coaching are paying him. Awfully unprofessional, but about par for "pro" gamers.

i think the other thing he means is that since syndra's spells aren't linear skillshots unlike ahri's, syndra does ok with aiming "diagonally" while as ahri you might have some more trouble than just straight horizontally from the river. i think there was something like that with like blue side bot lane having it easier to harass under turret because they just have to aim vertically while purple side has to do an angle thing because of that big tri rock thingie. not sure about this tho

but that aside, in general i wouldn't position aggressively against syndra unless scatter the weak is on cd or she's low in mana.

and yeah dude's pretty douchy in a way that isn't really funny or educational. i mean sometimes it's actually funny but give it a rest dude, guy pays for 2 hours of your time and you spend like the whole thing making fun of him that's just not useful.

brian!

He seems adorable, and his dinosaur suit is also pretty adorable. He's sort of the Teemo of yordles, aside from Teemo. Teemo and Gnar are pretty cool.

I haven't yet learned to read his rage meter so I never know when he is going to transform. Big Gnar seems very slow but has a lot of HP.

There are some opinions!

thx this is a good start

pigeon

Banned
Not a great day to be grinding Master Yi games for the Assassin icon. Everybody wants to play Gnar top for the first time and we end up super squishy. Sad part is, Gnar should theoretically have good initiate! But probably not if you just bought him ten minutes ago.

Tizoc

So for those that tried Gnar, what's your suggested build atm? Trinity or just go full AD with BoRK>Statik>LW>Inf. Edge+Armor?

Tizoc

My first match as Gnar and my internet goes to the stone age, must be because of the road construction/renevation going on in front of the house. 5000 Ping...

Tizoc

From what little I played, I noticed there is a short time period before Gnar transforms into Mega Gnar. So once he starts transforming, if you're Top for example, you can Hop over a champ into the Brush, toss the Boulder to slow them and follow up...
EDIT: I hadn't watched his spotlight vid fully and only got to notice it when playing as the little guy.

Leezard

From what little I played, I noticed there is a short time period before Gnar transforms into Mega Gnar. So once he starts transforming, if you're Top for example, you can Hop over a champ into the Brush, toss the Boulder to slow them and follow up...
EDIT: I hadn't watched his spotlight vid fully and only got to notice it when playing as the little guy.

Well, kinda. Once you have enough rage, you will transform after 4 seconds or when you use an ability.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Not a great day to be grinding Master Yi games for the Assassin icon. Everybody wants to play Gnar top for the first time and we end up super squishy. Sad part is, Gnar should theoretically have good initiate! But probably not if you just bought him ten minutes ago.
Gnar's initiation is terrible. Unless you're like around one of the pits and he has full rage, but with the obvious tell and the uncontrollable element of rage makes windows rarer. You also have to deal with the short range on hop.

haven't tried him yet but i'm guessing he'll be like trinity/bjork into tanky

maybe both trinity and bjork

that's what I think felt the best from the littler I played.

The early Phage from trinity force gives him some much needed combat stats, and TF gives Mega Gnar a lot of burst. He scales really well with attack speed and movement speed too.

Going into BotRK after it is great too. It's expensive, but I feel he needs both.

He probably has a similar build to Irelia.

Gnar's initiation is terrible. Unless you're like around one of the pits and he has full rage, but with the obvious tell and the uncontrollable element of rage makes windows rarer. You also have to deal with the short range on hop.

His ideal initiation is to get full rage and hop off something for the double bounce, and using his ult to fling them into a wall. It's very conditional but it's really effective when you can get it off.

Other than that though, yeah his engage isn't great.

zkylon

zkylewd
that's what I think felt the best from the littler I played.

The early Phage from trinity force gives him some much needed combat stats, and TF gives Mega Gnar a lot of burst. He scales really well with attack speed and movement speed too.

Going into BotRK after it is great too. It's expensive, but I feel he needs both.

He probably has a similar build to Irelia.
yeah i was thinking he would enjoy phage quite a lot, specially since he has one built in his w

also yeah i'm not sure how he'll really work, he doesn't sound like a good splitpusher and like you guys said he's a pretty unreliable initiator.

sounds to me like he could be good at sieges (poke+turret damage and the longer siege lasts the more chance he can go mega and dive) or with a set initiator out of the jungle like j4 or amumu or something.

he also seems like pretty good peel since he's huge and has a lot of aoe and cc

but i dunno, he's so weird

Sofo

Why do showcasters pronounce Kottenx as "Konnex"? So annoying. ._.

Also, is there a 1920/1080 version of that yordle-gasm? :3 so adorable.

garath

Yeah. I feel like he was saying it because he "knows" it without being able to articulate it properly.

My best guess is the way syndra's abilities work is minion block won't help. She's long range and doesn't need to close the gap the way a Ryze would. Also staying near the minions lets her harass for free when she's wave clearing. Not to mention being off to the side is having clear E potential as Ahri and trying to force Syndra into a more defensive position. Just a thought though.

He wants you standing near the top brush because he wants you to ward over the wall to see the jungler coming. That will be the "safe" side while still staying aggressive in lane. He really dislikes playing too passively. Which in this case there were like 100 different opportunities Ahri had to push Syndra out or kill her. Instead she got farm. Be more aggro, especially if you see the jungler on the map or have proper wards down. That's the message I'm taking from this.

I don't know if these are the actual pro players - I don't keep up with boring ol' competitive League and its "athletes" - but it'd be amusing if literally my only decent Gnar game on Dominion so far was against them.

I also went from first to last in rank in the span of a minute, to make matters worse.

Why do showcasters pronounce Kottenx as "Konnex"? So annoying. ._.

Also, is there a 1920/1080 version of that yordle-gasm? :3 so adorable.
Or Rekkles like "reckless." His name will always sound like freckles in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom