• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT7| She Ezreal To Me, Dammit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just play Caitlyn. It's really hard to fuck up on Caitlyn and really easy to carry.

If only I had time for ranked other than once every couple of weeks or so :/

I really do think they need to make a new Ori skin, as an aside.

Man I feel like Zkylon right now.

Blizzard

Banned
You just need a signature champion that you're super confident on, not even a hard carry champion.
I basically agree with this -- in silver, if you're serious about improving with a champion, you might try making a text file with notes. Play until you've played the same champion at least 20 games, making a note about each game if there was something you learned. Don't put "teammates were dumb" since that won't help you personally improve.

If you can consistently (> 50%) do well in lane with a champion over 10-20 games, that's great. Your next job may be to consistently get your tower before they get your tower. Okay, great. Your next job may be to try to find ways to ward the map and consistently get towers in other lanes.

I'm a bad silver player and I had multiple champions with over 50% win rate, including even the maligned Rengar. Almost anyone can probably work if you become consistently good enough, but ideally someone who is good at taking towers, or someone who is good at teamfighting, or BOTH, is a good idea. Snowballing can work but it also lends itself to games where you have a slow start and blame teammates.

Katarina didn't work well for me (I wasn't good enough at roaming, staying farmed enough, and finding the right spots to steal kills). Can work great if you're better than me.

Fiora worked decently for me (top/mid, can snowball, if you don't snowball, can still farm safely and do well later, is good in team fights with ult, is good at killing towers).

Maokai worked great for me (top/mid/jungle/support, great in teamfights, great for peeling, great because silver teams may be missing a tank otherwise, does decent damage even with only 1-3 AP items).

I also liked Maokai because he was rather fun to play, which is probably rare for me in League and makes the grind of playing someone 20+ games to become consistent less painful.

brian!

it's better to be super confident on several options for several lanes that can do different things for different situations

Ferrio

Banned
I'm confident in pretty much every lane at this level except adc. Hell I think I only straight up lost lane once, but I mostly get thrown into the jungle.

Blizzard

Banned
it's better to be super confident on several options for several lanes that can do different things for different situations
What ranked level are you talking about?

Yes if you're platinum or diamond you want to be able to do a bunch of options, and do them all great. But if you can do them all great...you're not going to be having problems in silver to begin with, are you?

To grow the mighty tree that is being good at many things, one must start by becoming good at one thing, or so I feel.

brian!

i dont mean winning lane, which is pretty important in lower levels, but playing roles correctly

What ranked level are you talking about?

Yes if you're platinum or diamond you want to be able to do a bunch of options, and do them all great. But if you can do them all great...you're not going to be having problems in silver to begin with, are you?

To grow the mighty tree that is being good at many things, one must start by becoming good at one thing, or so I feel.

i think having a versatile pool is prtty important at any elo and I wouldn't characterize the ppl at silver as one trick ponies or something
being able to fill a role in silver helps you avoid ppl salty they aren't getting what they want
being able to fill a role well means you are actually contributing to the win instead of just dodging salt

Blizzard

Banned
i dont mean winning lane, which is pretty important in lower levels, but playing roles correctly
I think it is easier to learn one or two primary roles at a time, rather than many roles. Yes you want to be able to do all roles, if you're at platinum or diamond. If you're in silver you gotta start somewhere.

Similarly, if one often plays one or two champions, one becomes comfortable with those champions and can focus on the role and the game objectives more, rather than being distracted by switching between several champions with different timings.

i think having a versatile pool is prtty important at any elo and I wouldn't characterize the ppl at silver as one trick ponies or something
You're saying that it's good to be good at many role and many champions, which seems sort of self-evident to me. If someone IS truly good at many roles and many champions, I don't think they will stay in silver, so we are talking about the journey, not the destination.

brian!

i mean i guess there is a pool of silver players who are jumping into ranked right when they hit 30 but im not talking about them
1 champ for each role is ridiculous, you have to cater your pool against the meta then

i don't think being good at your champs and roles at silver guarantees you to get out of silver, you have to navigate other things too
the biggest diff between silver and diamond is that one knows how to play the map and the other concentrates on lane

garath

being able to fill a role in silver helps you avoid ppl salty they aren't getting what they want
being able to fill a role well means you are actually contributing to the win instead of just dodging salt

I have to disagree too.

Filling in silver is a recipe for disaster. Grab your role and champion and grab it with gusto. Have a secondary fallback but really push for your strongest position. I didn't get out of the Silver I hell until I completely dedicated myself to jungle with a secondary fallback of Sona support. Filling just means you're playing a role with competence at best and you're going to rely on your team for the carry. That's not how to get out of Silver. Master a role and dominate to carry yourself out.

brian!

that's like saying you automatically lose when you don't get what you want
which u kno
sounds kind of familiar to the type of person ppl complain about in this thread

ur goal is not to get good at playing one thing but to understand the best way the game is played

Newt

i mean i guess there is a pool of silver players who are jumping into ranked right when they hit 30 but im not talking about them
1 champ for each role is ridiculous, you have to cater your pool against the meta then
Closer, you really don't play much solo q, do you lol.

When you're playing champs out of your regular role all you need to do is pick strong, low skill champions. Fiora top, Amumu Jung, Zyra supp etc.

brian!

i dunno i feel like you often substitute your exp. in solo q for the solo q experience as a whole
i don't think picking strong low skill champions works unless you know what you are doing or have an idea of what you should be doing at a given time

Negaduck

I have a good amount of heroes I can play top cause that's what I try to play most.

I feel most confident with Garen, orianna, and blitz.

I can play any role though if I have to.

I only play solo Q. I hardly duo.

brian!

I feel like you're giving people advice that'll make them lose a lot -_-.

i mean my advice is basically know the things you want to do and execute them well

when you are in a position where the main thing you can do is complain about the other ppl on your team I think there is a great failing going on with how you are playing

i think giving ppl advice to focus on champ picks and focus on lanes where you can "hard carry" is disingenuous

I think what both sides are saying is true to an extent.

You should aim to have a stable of champions and roles that you're good at in order to be the best you can be and be as versatile as possible.

However that might not be the best way to grind out elo quickly. Sticking to something you're really good at to carry you out of the depths in order to improve when you've done that is probably the best low elo solo q strategy for The Grind.

brian!

like if there was some secret to getting out of silver im shure ppl would be making that 89.99 off installments already, but the answer is literally get better at the game, and you don't get better at the game as a whole by gimping yourself with special picks
if riot was really good at balancing the game id see that, but they aren't

garath

Closer, you really don't play much solo q, do you lol.

When you're playing champs out of your regular role all you need to do is pick strong, low skill champions. Fiora top, Amumu Jung, Zyra supp etc.

I've got to agree with Newt. You climb by mastering a single role with maybe one fallback. Know enough to allow yourself to be carried from another lane but having a deep pool for other roles is just not going to happen at a normal person's playing experience. It's best to have that single champ you can fall back on if you get thrown into another role.

Jack of all trades, master of none is going to stay in silver.

Maybe if you played 10 games a day it'd be a different story. I'm speaking from someone who played maybe 10 games a WEEK.

Fracas

#fuckonami
A good 80 percent of my ranked games are Swain. Though I feel comfortable in just about any lane. I don't play top like at all though.

drawkcaB

I'm speaking from someone who played maybe 10 games a WEEK.

It must have been good. But it's over now. It's must have been good. But you lost it somehoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

I played 11 matches since Saturday night for the first time ever. And lost 9 of them.

like if there was some secret to getting out of silver im shure ppl would be making that 89.99 off installments already, but the answer is literally get better at the game, and you don't get better at the game as a whole by gimping yourself with special picks
if riot was really good at balancing the game id see that, but they aren't

I think Riot is good at balancing the game. A game will never be perfectly balanced. It's practically impossible for everything to be good and viable at the same time.

Riot does a good job at rotating the types of champion roles, picks and items are the best at any given time which means meta strong champions are constantly shifting. It's about the best you can hope for in a game which is soon to have 121 champions.

Like if you told me 3 months ago some of the most banned and played champs in the game are Maokai, Alistar, Zilean, Zed etc. I would have laughed at you quite probably.

Sure, some things they get wrong (Tristana zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) but in general they are balancing the game to a good standard and are working on not just nerfing champions but making them healthier overall.

brian!

I've got to agree with Newt. You climb by mastering a single role with maybe one fallback. Know enough to allow yourself to be carried from another lane but having a deep pool for other roles is just not going to happen at a normal person's playing experience. It's best to have that single champ you can fall back on if you get thrown into another role.

Jack of all trades, master of none is going to stay in silver.

Maybe if you played 10 games a day it'd be a different story. I'm speaking from someone who played maybe 10 games a WEEK.

yeah i feel dat about the frequency in which u play

@phillip
I only mean that they have a history of putting out big changes rather than easing them, which is why if you focus one champ and chill for like 3 weeks, ur champ mite be in the dumpster already. I don't think that's good balancing but I guess I also don't care about it too much either since I hate doing one thing over and over and over

i think if you know how to play the game, you can navigate and understand why certain fotm are played pretty easily

@phillip
I only mean that they have a history of putting out big changes rather than easing them, which is why if you focus one champ and chill for like 3 weeks, ur champ mite be in the dumpster already. I don't think that's good balancing but I guess I also don't care about it too much either

yeah that I'll agree with. Although, again, they have been sorta moving away from that recently.

brian!

it's only because team games are hard to balance, if this was a fighting game you could def pick one champ and git gud

for ex.
when your team needs a hard engage jungler and all u got is trick2udyr
like you are actively contributing to your team's loss because of ur pool plus probably making them salty already in champ select

Ferrio

Banned
it's only because team games are hard to balance, if this was a fighting game you could def pick one champ and git gud

for ex.
like you are actively contributing to your team's loss because of ur pool plus probably making them salty already in champ select

Except I'm not seeing this. I'm seeing myself pick utility type junglers and people not take advantage of it or being so behind that they can't and since i'm building less damage orientated then my fate is more in their hands.

Newt

for ex.
You're ignoring my examples tho.

brian!

what do you mean by utility type junglers

and i guess remember that the only thing you can really control in solo q is your own play
i dunno what your specific example is but you probably don't want to pick a champ that requires other ppl to take advantage of your kit rather than you being able to take advantage of your own kit
the only thing i can think of is like thresh lantern though

You're ignoring my examples tho.

what were your examples are you talking about fiora top and amumu jungle?

garath

It must have been good. But it's over now. It's must have been good. But you lost it somehoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

I played 11 matches since Saturday night for the first time ever. And lost 9 of them.

I'm getting better. I've played 10 in the last two weeks!

Know winrates and dodge if your team is filled with bad winrate champions (e.g. having Shen/Zac/LeBlanc/Urgot/Soraka while the enemy has Rumble/Amumu/Ziggs/Tristana/Leona means you're at a big disadvantage assuming the average level of your players isn't greatly above theirs). Certainly didn't hurt me any.

brian!

i also don't advocate dodging because
1. that's poosey
2. you are avoiding experience in what you think is a riskier scenario, like in the very short term you might be dodging a bad situation but in the longer term you are reducing your ability to do well even in the favorable conditions you are conjuring up

like this includes playing w/ weird azz fukks, which I admittedly don't really get since i started playing solo q in season 3

i get the whole play champs that are kind of one-dimensional and easy, but that's a crutch that's not even relevant when the majority of silver problems is that they put themselves in positions where they need to outplay someone in the first place vs. being at the right place at the right time

Ferrio

Banned
what do you mean by utility type junglers

Like eve, or lee sin, or mao. Junglers where I'm trying to feed my teammates kills. That's putting my success into their hands.

i also don't advocate dodging because
1. that's poosey
2. you are avoiding experience in what you think is a riskier scenario, like in the very short term you might be dodging a bad situation but in the longer term you are reducing your ability to do well even in the favorable conditions you are conjuring up

like this includes playing w/ weird azz fukks, which I admittedly don't really get since i started playing solo q in season 3

i get the whole play champs that are kind of one-dimensional and easy, but that's a crutch that's not even relevant when the majority of silver problems is that they put themselves in positions where they need to outplay someone in the first place vs. being at the right place at the right time

Fuck that. I'm dodging now. I've lost atleast 2 games that I knew I was going to lose and I should of dodged, but I stuck around due to toughing it out. Never again.

brian!

Like eve, or lee sin, or mao. Junglers where I'm trying to feed my teammates kills. That's putting my success into their hands.

Fuck that. I'm dodging now. I've lost atleast 2 games that I knew I was going to lose and I should of dodged, but I stuck around due to toughing it out. Never again.

ok so the first thing here is that those junglers are not ones that feed their teammates kills and then hope they win the game for them

i don't really want to write an essay about these champs, tho i started to but, there are very very few champs in the game where you put success into other ppls hands, or where your hands are tied and u have to trust your teammates to use the lead you gave them

i think if not dodging a team makes you agitated then u should definitely dodge

I remember being in champ select where our first pick planned to troll as Teemo and our 3rd was going "mid wayne". I seriously considered dodging but thankfully someone actually did.

brian!

i don't really dodge but
there is certainly a difference between the pragmatic dodger and the dodger who has given up in champ select, where the latter is also prtty likely to give up at particular points in the game as well (a theoretical guess, not rlly saying that's how it is in practice)

like a person who dodges because the attitude in champ select is really poor and will probably not automatically change somehow when the game starts vs. someone who dodges when a rarely seen champ is picked

ive dodged racists because i don't want to spend all that time with them but i mean that's a personal thing and not that related to winning or losing the game

Ocho

I should have dodged our 5th 'I don't know how to adc' pick. If you can't play a role, please say so before everyone else already locked in.

Jeff-DSA

I should have dodged our 5th 'I don't know how to adc' pick. If you can't play a role, please say so before everyone else already locked in.

Since I started to fill, I've started winning at a 70% rate. Letting people be comfortable and then just winning your lane that nobody wanted seems to be the key to winning at crap ELOs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom