• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT7| She Ezreal To Me, Dammit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_Arnold

Since there are heroes without mana, mana steal is bound to be not as useful if it is a hero ability, and if it is an item, it would inherently make the slippery slope of wins/losses more slippery (dominating teams further reducing their opponent's options).

zkylon

zkylewd
like i said already, unless you make it % based it's gonna just be ignored by tear users and then you can just ignore it thru athenes

just because it could exist doesn't mean it should. it's a shitty status effect meant for a game that isn't league of legends

it doesn't make anys sense in this game

just think about this: anivia, the quintessential mana issues champion, has 1.2k mana at level 18 with no items. her q costs 120 mana and her ult has an upkeep cost of 75 mana.

she'll buy tear, roa or athenes and have blue buff, unless you cost her 800 mana or something with your mana drain spell she won't give a fuck

edit: like just think about it. most champions' ults cost 100 mana. in which universe is mana drain useful :/

This thread is a counter to my brain.
yea i chose to let that go just to keep conversation rolling lol

Since there are heroes without mana, mana steal is bound to be not as useful if it is a hero ability, and if it is an item, it would inherently make the slippery slope of wins/losses more slippery (dominating teams further reducing their opponent's options).
this is not necessarily bad as it could be a situational item much like morellos effectiveness is much boosted when there's a swain or mundo on the enemy team

drawkcaB

Sure it would, and you know what, Riot is changing to be like that. They're adding more and more items with strange effects. Blade of the Ruined King is a direct counter to non-mobile, tanky champions. You steal movement speed and do more damage to the enemy the more health they have.

Temporary effects. Mana burn overwhelms mana regeneration for the remainder of the fight given enough time.

Your example is also kind of ridiculous, because that's like saying that mana steal is the same as silence, when it's not at all. Blind = all attacks miss. Mana steal =/= all magic attacks miss (aren't able to cast). Not that I think a mana stealing item is good. And I specifically was talking about an ability, not an item anyway.

Again, given enough time in a battle, mana does act as a permanent silence.

And again, mana burn as an ability is pointless in a game where 25%+ of champions don't use mana. That champion would just end up being a different kind of Veigar. It's not that it's bad idea in-and-of-itself, but I don't see the benefit in creating a champion who will be relegated to a very niche pick.

Ferrio said:
1. The mana burn/steal will be so insignificant it won't do shit.
2. It'll be over powered and the champ will be banned/picked all the time.

I mean what's the compelling reason to have it in the game? Because Dota has it?

Also this, it'd be impossible to balance correctly.

Einbroch

Banned
I mean what's the compelling reason to have it in the game? Because Dota has it?

No. Not at all. Does Dota even have a mana burn item? I honestly don't know. There is no compelling reason for specifically mana burn to be in the game at all, it's only an example of something different from the rest of the game. I just wish there was more variety and depth. Riot added the "wind wall" mechanic, and that's awesome. But look, Yasuo is top tier (80+% P/B, as is Braum (near 90% P/B), both the champions with these mechanics. These new and interesting mechanics should be given to more and more champions, or spread to items, or even summoner spells. I'm sure the next champion will be awesome. They're taking their time, and I have faith.

Mana burn may not fit into the game, but it's only an example. Maybe I should have stated that better. I just threw it out. I just worry that they're limiting themselves too much and moving too slowly. The next champion might have some really cool mechanic, but it's just leaving more and more champions in the dust. Like I said, I think they're changing, but I just worry it's not fast enough. My friends who absolutely love League (just as I do) are saying the same thing. The meta is stale. The game is stale. Every game has the same basic lineup. There are very few items to build mid-game to counter the enemy team besides deciding between armor and magic resist.

Hey, if that's what Riot wants, more power to them. But if next season doesn't add something significant, I may be done with the game.

as for ori denying with her ball, i thought that was a fun little hidden mechanic, same with zed shadow and whatnot. i'm a fan of those things that might not be intended but give a player expression nonetheless. and it has tradeoffs, it forces you to waste mana on sending your ball to a useless position and away from you, which can be taken advantage of, so it's not like it's just a totally broken mechanic or anything
It's useless power with no counterplay that makes an otherwise perfect champion annoying. You should be losing CS because Ori might hit you with the ball and autos, not because she dropped 50 mana of her mana pool.

zkylon

zkylewd
yea i agree league needs new interesting mechanics and also a shit ton of new items

i really hope they go all out with s5 overhaul and like make the game unplayable for a month or two but really turn it upside down

i want to be building something different every single game

It's useless power with no counterplay that makes an otherwise perfect champion annoying. You should be losing CS because Ori might hit you with the ball and autos, not because she dropped 50 mana of her mana pool.
there are a lot of no-counterplay and annoying things in the game

it's like being able to shield minions with lee sin or whatever, i never understood why they took that out, it's an interesting mechanic you're removing, it may be annoying for the one on the receiving end but like with ori denies it has a cost and a risk associated with it. it might be minor but it's a minor advantage anyways

pigeon

Banned
What is the design idea behind mana drain?

The two points called out were:

* Counter champs that build lots of mana, the way that bork counters champs that build lots of health
* Create an Essence Reaver-style item that is still useful in the endgame

I'm not sure about the first one. Mana's not really a combat stat -- do we really need to give you the power to build against it? Why isn't it appropriate to counter these champs by building defenses, since they chose to build mana instead of AD/AP?

For the second one, I'm still not clear why this item isn't just Tear into Manamune. The problem with mana items early is that you generally just don't have many mana issues lategame, so they scale poorly. Tear explicitly handles that by being pretty cheap early and scaling eventually into either a strong AP or strong AD item. Jayce is the classic mana AD champ, and he builds Manamune. So who builds Essence Reaver that doesn't build Manamune? Why don't we just make Manamune better earlier? (In fact they basically did exactly this by making it build out of Pickaxe, so that you can grab an early Pickaxe if you need AD.)

I can get crazy mana regen when sona is out of mana, so the mana steal is not a problem, there is not a silence status item yet? Silence items would impact more than mana steal

drawkcaB

Some DotA2 heroes definitely have mana burn in their kits.

Riot added the "wind wall" mechanic, and that's awesome.

Awesome as in it's complete bullshit that one normal ability completely invalidates a huge amount of abilities in this game, not to mention the esoteric nonsense of what does and does not constitute a "projectile". Xerath's Q? That's a laser not a projectile! Zyra's E? That's a projectile, it's just that it crawls on the ground.

But look, Yasuo is top tier (80+% P/B, as is Braum (near 90% P/B), both the champions with these mechanics. These new and interesting mechanics should be given to more and more champions,

So what, you want more champions with flatly OP non-ult abilities so that from here on out every champions is pick/ban? I'm going to go ahead and assume that you think Thresh's lantern travel is perfectly fine too and isn't a core reason why he'll never be brought into line.

Maybe you should actually give DotA 2 a whirl. Seems much more in line with what you're looking for in a MOBA.

pigeon

Banned
I can get crazy mana regen when sona is out of mana, so the mana steal is not a problem, there is not a silence status item yet? Silence items would impact more than mana steal

There are no items with hard CC as everybody would have to build them on every champ regardless of their other stats.

Einbroch

Banned
Awesome as in it's complete bullshit that one normal ability completely invalidates a huge amount of abilities in this game, not to mention the esoteric nonsense of what does and does not constitute a "projectile". Xerath's Q? That's a laser not a projectile! Zyra's E? That's a projectile, it's just that it crawls on the ground.

So what, you want more champions with flatly OP non-ult abilities so that from here on out every champions is pick/ban? I'm going to go ahead and assume that you think Thresh's lantern travel is perfectly fine too and isn't a core reason why he'll never be brought into line.

Maybe you should actually give DotA 2 a whirl. Seems much more in line with what you're looking for in a MOBA.

I have and occasionally do play Dota 2, but don't like the way it feels. League is much more fun to play because the basic gameplay is quicker and more enjoyable to me. Turn speeds and non-scaling UI break the game for me.

And, yes, if you want to reduce my post, then I guess that is what I'm saying. Who are exciting champions to watch/play? Lee Sin, Yasuo, Zed, hell even Ori, all champions with unique abilities that make you go "wow" or feel amazing when you pull off insane combos. I want all champions to be like those. Well, ALL might be a little much, but still. More.

brian!

maybe you guys should write a letter to riot
I'll write you guys a sample you can just copy and paste it:

Dear Riot Tryndamere,
On Thursday, when you responded to news about massive ongoing surveillance of phone records of people in the United States, you slipped past the meaning of the Fourth Amendment. As the chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee, you seem to be in the habit of treating the Bill of Rights as merely advisory.

The Constitution doesn’t get any better than this: “The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.”

The greatness of the Fourth Amendment explains why so many Americans took it to heart in civics class and why so many of us treasure it today. But, along with other high-ranking members of Congress and the president of the United States, you have continued to chip away at this sacred bedrock of civil liberties.

As The Guardian reported the night before your sudden news conference, the leaked secret court order “shows for the first time that under the Obama administration the communication records of millions of U.S. citizens are being collected indiscriminately and in bulk — regardless of whether they are suspected of any wrongdoing.”

One of the most chilling parts of that just-revealed Surveillance Court order can be found at the bottom of the first page, where it says “Declassify on: 12 April 2038.”

Apparently you thought — or at least hoped — that we, the people of the United States, wouldn’t find out for 25 years. And the fact that we learned about this extreme violation of our rights in 2013 instead of 2038 seems to bother you a lot.

Rather than call for protection of the Fourth Amendment, you want authorities to catch and punish whoever leaked this secret order. You seem to fear that people can actually discover what their own government is doing to them with vast surveillance.

Meanwhile, the executive branch is being run by kindred spirits, as hostile to the First Amendment as to the Fourth. On Thursday night, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper issued a statement saying the “unauthorized disclosure of a top secret U.S. court document threatens potentially long-lasting and irreversible harm to our ability to identify and respond to the many threats facing our nation.”

That statement from Clapper is utter and complete hogwash. Whoever leaked the four-page Surveillance Court document to Glenn Greenwald at The Guardian deserves a medal and an honorary parade down Pennsylvania Avenue in the Nation’s capital. The only “threats” assisted by disclosure of that document are the possibilities of meaningful public discourse and informed consent of the governed.

Let’s be candid about the most clear and present danger to our country’s democratic values. The poisonous danger is spewing from arrogance of power in the highest places. The antidotes depend on transparency of sunlight that only whistleblowers, a free press, and an engaged citizenry can bring.

As Greenwald tweeted after your news conference: “The reason there are leakers is precisely because the government is filled with people like Riot Tryndamere and Philip Costigan who do horrendous things in secret.” And, he pointed out, “The real story isn’t just the spying itself: it’s that we have this massive, ubiquitous Surveillance State, operating in total secrecy.”

Obviously, you like it that way, and so do most other members of the Senate and House. And so does the president. You’re all playing abhorrent roles, maintaining a destructive siege of precious civil liberties. While building a surveillance state, you are patting citizens on the head and telling them not to worry.

Perhaps you should have a conversation with Al Gore and ask about his statement: “Is it just me, or is secret blanket surveillance obscenely outrageous?” Actually, many millions of Americans understand that the blanket surveillance is obscenely outrageous.

As a constituent, I would like to offer an invitation. A short drive from your mansion overlooking San Francisco Bay, hundreds of us will be meeting June 11 at a public forum on “Disappearing Civil Liberties in the United States.” (You’d be welcome to my time on the panel.) One of the speakers, Pentagon Papers whistleblower Daniel Ellsberg, could explain to you how the assaults on civil liberties and the wars you keep supporting go hand in hand, undermining the Constitution and causing untold misery.

Riot Tryndamere, your energetic contempt for the Bill of Rights is serving a bipartisan power structure that threatens to crush our democratic possibilities.

A huge number of people in California and around the country will oppose your efforts for the surveillance state at every turn.

Sincerely,

brian!

I don't feel comfortable with this patch
what exactly am i downloading
where is the transparency
why did it turn my webcam on

zkylon

zkylewd
i wonder if ancient golem as a last item on like mundo or shyvanna might be a good idea

like it must give like 700-800 hp plus 10% cdr and the ward, which lategame isn't so bad as you'll be prolly running red trinket

Leezard

I dunno, I think Lucian seems kinda good.
ej3SyD7.png
My pal Zpooks thinks he's a lot more fun than before. This is the third game that we crushed bot lane with new Lucian.

brian!

i trust zpooks
iunno if i trust snowballed scorez tho
like this thread is full of ppl making conclusions based off of things like that

i wanna try it out but na is getting hacked

what does this mean
33kSwBE.png

Leezard

i trust zpooks
iunno if i trust snowballed scorez tho
like this thread is full of ppl making conclusions based off of things like that

Yeah, snowballed stuff won't mean too much, his performance in an even or behind game is more important. This game Tristana got first blood thanks to their jungler, but we managed to turn it. He does have the potential to snowball quite well, at least.

Opiate

Kassadin is absolute trash for Dominion now. My pool of AP carries is getting low for Crystal Scar: I'm basically down to Sona and Janna.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Whelp, 0-4, that's me done for today. I love Thresh but I fucking suck with him, better read and watch up more before I try again.

SeigO

Banned
Thanks for the Irelia tips Newt.

Seig do you have any Jayce tips or have you written a guide or anything? He's probably my favorite champ but I tend to have a hard time with him.
Jayce Guide:

Build: 90% of the time you start Dorans+pot. If you're against Pantheon, Gragas, Lulu, or Ryze (basically any champion that you can't safely harass without taking some damage in return) starting with a flask+3 pots is a strong start.

My standard build order is Dorans+pot->Tear->brutalizer->boots->Ionia's->Manamune-> and from there it's dependent on the game. GA/BT/BC/Ghostblade/LW/BV are all good choices depending on the game and how well you're doing.
Depending on your play style you may prefer to rush a brutalizer and get a tear on your second back.
Crit is worthless on Jayce because the majority of your damage will be from Q->E'ing people from a far. Armor pen is a much more useful stat for him.

This is the build that I aim to have by the midgame in most games.
beFg7Gg.jpg

Skills: You max Q->W->E->R in that order. Turn quick casting on for every ability for the fastest combos. Since Jayce has 6 abilities with very little casting animation it's pretty much required. Don't level your Ulti until level 16.

Summoners: This is up to your preference, but I run ignite in roughly 80% of my games. Against champions like Irelia, Yasuo, Jax, Renekton and any other melee who you can dominate you will always want ignite because if it's up you have nothing to fear from them past level 7 as long as you have tied or won your lane before that point.
You should run teleport if the enemy picks a champion who you know will also pick teleport or if you're not confident in your ability to win the lane. Jax is the only exception if he runs teleport and you run ignite, you should be able to wreck him with ease.

Strategy: In almost every single match up I only last hit creeps that are sub 15% hp and I aim to avoid damaging the creeps what so ever when possible. The rest of the time is spent poking the enemy when they come in to last hit or trying to hit them with non gated ranged form Q's. Your plain Q is your most efficient harassment tool in terms of mana cost and not exhausting your mana pool. You should only use Q->E in ranged form starting at level 5 or if you think you can kill them before that point.

Jayce is vulnerable to jungle ganks in the very early game so you want your lane to get pushed closer to your tower. If the enemy is pushing really hard Q the melee creeps and kill them before they reach the tower, then tank the ranged creeps out of range of your turret and wait for your wave to arrive. Now the lanes frozen under your tower for the next couple of minutes and as long as you kill the melee minions fast enough it's very difficult for the enemy to force your lane to push back out. In doing so you usually get a big advantage over the enemy because they have to give up on some CS, as you comfortably farm near your tower with high AD and a fast attack animation.

Late game your goal is to stay in ranged form for as long as possible in team fights. You really only go into melee form if it's to execute someone or if you catch somebody alone away from their team.

Combo: Once you have your tear your killing combo should start in ranged form. It's Q->E->W->Melee->Q->W (if they're low enough to execute or not dead already and your ranged form is almost off cooldown) then you can hit the melee E, swap to ranged and get an AA+Q to finish them.

CRS

A level 1 wind wall on a 28 sec CD isn't that bad and the least you have to worry about when it comes to Yasuo. And since no CD is never built on Yasuo and it's leveled last, at end game it's only what, a 18 sec CD?

Braum's wall is more of a hassle than Yasuo's.

Ferrio

Banned
A level 1 wind wall on a 28 sec CD isn't that bad and the least you have to worry about when it comes to Yasuo. And since no CD is never built on Yasuo and it's leveled last, at end game it's only what, a 18 sec CD?

Braum's wall is more of a hassle than Yasuo's.

Except that one wall can block a whole team's ults.

I think the wall is fine... but I'm not denying that late game it's incredibly incredibly strong if played right.

CRS

Except that one wall can block a whole team's ults.

I think the wall is fine... but I'm not denying that late game it's incredibly incredibly strong if played right.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not underestimating it but treat it like a Zhonya's or someone else's Ult, bait it and try to look for something in that 20 sec window. It's not a game breaking ability with no counter.

Thanks for the Irelia tips Newt.

Jayce Guide:

Build: 90% of the time you start Dorans+pot. If you're against Pantheon, Gragas, Lulu, or Ryze (basically any champion that you can't safely harass without taking some damage in return) starting with a flask+3 pots is a strong start.

My standard build order is Dorans+pot->Tear->brutalizer->boots->Ionia's->Manamune-> and from there it's dependent on the game. GA/BT/BC/Ghostblade/LW/BV are all good choices depending on the game and how well you're doing.
Depending on your play style you may prefer to rush a brutalizer and get a tear on your second back.
Crit is worthless on Jayce because the majority of your damage will be from Q->E'ing people from a far. Armor pen is a much more useful stat for him.

This is the build that I aim to have by the midgame in most games.
beFg7Gg.jpg

Skills: You max Q->W->E->R in that order. Turn quick casting on for every ability for the fastest combos. Since Jayce has 6 abilities with very little casting animation it's pretty much required. Don't level your Ulti until level 16.

Summoners: This is up to your preference, but I run ignite in roughly 80% of my games. Against champions like Irelia, Yasuo, Jax, Renekton and any other melee who you can dominate you will always want ignite because if it's up you have nothing to fear from them past level 7 as long as you have tied or won your lane before that point.
You should run teleport if the enemy picks a champion who you know will also pick teleport or if you're not confident in your ability to win the lane. Jax is the only exception if he runs teleport and you run ignite, you should be able to wreck him with ease.

Strategy: In almost every single match up I only last hit creeps that are sub 15% hp and I aim to avoid damaging the creeps what so ever when possible. The rest of the time is spent poking the enemy when they come in to last hit or trying to hit them with non gated ranged form Q's. Your plain Q is your most efficient harassment tool in terms of mana cost and not exhausting your mana pool. You should only use Q->E in ranged form starting at level 5 or if you think you can kill them before that point.

Jayce is vulnerable to jungle ganks in the very early game so you want your lane to get pushed closer to your tower. If the enemy is pushing really hard Q the melee creeps and kill them before they reach the tower, then tank the ranged creeps out of range of your turret and wait for your wave to arrive. Now the lanes frozen under your tower for the next couple of minutes and as long as you kill the melee minions fast enough it's very difficult for the enemy to force your lane to push back out. In doing so you usually get a big advantage over the enemy because they have to give up on some CS, as you comfortably farm near your tower with high AD and a fast attack animation.

Late game your goal is to stay in ranged form for as long as possible in team fights. You really only go into melee form if it's to execute someone or if you catch somebody alone away from their team.

Combo: Once you have your tear your killing combo should start in ranged form. It's Q->E->W->Melee->Q->W (if they're low enough to execute or not dead already and your ranged form is almost off cooldown) then you can hit the melee E, swap to ranged and get an AA+Q to finish them.

This seems like a great guide in general for newer players. I've spectate some of my friends games (who are bronze/silver), and I notice a lot of them have no clue how to

A) last hit under tower (differentiate between melee, and range minions)
B) know when to freeze, when to shove
C) How to harass without taking a crap ton of minion damage.
D) When to go all in. A lot of times I see two players both at 100%. Player A wins trade so player A is now at 70% player B is at 50%. Player A decide to go all in with all skills on cool down.... Player B's jungler come... GG lane is over.

Tizoc

Just won a match as Alistar. Our trista was a 1st timer, but did really good using her. I managed my mana as best as possible during the earlier game and by the end game we wrecked the opposition's shit. My build by then was Face of the Mountain, Pink Sightstone, Boots of Mobility & Z. Hourglass (I already got eff tons HP from those 2 items, besides it gives a decent amount of armor, andthe AP helps my abilities a little)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom