• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT7| She Ezreal To Me, Dammit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newt

I'm going to assume you've never played top lane when Yorick was strong.

They're incomparable. I have fun playing against a Rumble. I don't against Yorick.
Were you playing back when Rumble had a 60% winrate? That wasn't fun at all. At least Yorick had to use multiple abilities.

Also, what's fun with playing against Rumble, lol?

bidguy

Banned
can anyone help me with these pc specs ? im playing on another rig right now and cant even get a stable 60fps 1280x768

4gb ram
amd 6 core 3.5 ghz
geforce 9800gt

nothing else is running besides lol. all drivers are updated i dont know what to do

its ranging from 20-50 fps

all settings on very low btw and no shadows

Were you playing back when Rumble had a 60% winrate? That wasn't fun at all. At least Yorick had to use multiple abilities.

Also, what's fun with playing against Rumble, lol?

Rumble was broken (before he was nerfed) because they bug fixed his Q, which sent his damage way out of control

Rumble's fun to play against for me. He has clear strengths and weaknesses, something Yorick doesn't have. His ult is pretty hard to use well but when you do it's amazing. His unique resource system makes playing as and against him different to most champions in that there are very obvious times to trade with him and obvious times when to not trade with him. You can punish him for making poor decisions with his skills and overheating.

Rumble's a really well designed champion.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm going to assume you've never played top lane when Yorick was strong.
I feel like the champions that are strong now are even worse to deal with. Yorick has weaknesses related to mana issues and doesn't have much of a level six spike even when he was strong. On top of that, someone like Yorick was never able to have much of a global presence, and his ability to gank might as well be non-existant. Now you have top lane champions who are hard to show out of farm and scale phenomenally well into mid/late game, that can teleport across the map even early and truly have an impact on team fights.

I feel like the champions that are strong now are even worse to deal with. Yorick has weaknesses related to mana issues and doesn't have much of a level six spike even when he was strong. On top of that, someone like Yorick was never able to have much of a global presence, and his ability to gank might as well be non-existant. Now you have top lane champions who are hard to show out of farm and scale phenomenally well into mid/late game, that can teleport across the map even early and truly have an impact on team fights.

if you want to tell me Ryze is shit to play against, I'm not going to disagree with you.

But if Yorick was strong balance wise in this meta he'd be pick or ban. All he needs is Chalice (something he can build easily with the rise of AP top laners) or tear and his mana issues are non-existent. Teleport means he can afk push with ghouls, then TP in and ult someone. Frozen Heart being good means he would also be really strong against AD top laners.

Newt

Rumble was broken (before he was nerfed) because they bug fixed his Q, which sent his damage way out of control

Rumble's fun to play against for me. He has clear strengths and weaknesses, something Yorick doesn't have. His ult is pretty hard to use well but when you do it's amazing. His unique resource system makes playing as and against him different to most champions in that there are very obvious times to trade with him and obvious times when to not trade with him. You can punish him for making poor decisions with his skills and overheating.

Yorick has way more weaknesses that Rumble. First of all, he can be kited much more easily. Secondly, even when he was strong he still had big mana problems. He also needed damage items to be relevant (Manamune). Rumble can basically just build offtank AP items because his base damage is so high.

Also, I don't understand why you keep stating Rumble's passive like it's a weakness. He gets so many free stats, and even when he does overheat, your trade still isn't super beneficial with his enhanced autos. His ult may be hard to use perfectly, but landing a mediocre ult that does enough damage to be effective isn't hard.

Honestly, he should just be a mana champ.
if you want to tell me Ryze is shit to play against, I'm not going to disagree with you.
Ryze is shit to play against, but Rumble isn't? They do the same thing in lane, lol.

Yorick has way more weaknesses that Rumble. First of all, he can be kited much more easily. Secondly, even when he was strong he still had big mana problems. He also needed damage items to be relevant (Manamune). Rumble can basically just build offtank AP items because his base damage is so high.

Also, I don't understand why you keep stating Rumble's passive like it's a weakness. He gets so many free stats, and even when he does overheat, your trade still isn't super beneficial with his enhanced autos. His ult may be hard to use perfectly, but landing a mediocre ult that does enough damage to be effective isn't hard.

I'm not saying his passive is a weakness. I'm saying it has real tradeoffs. Managing your heat consistently to ensure you're always in the danger zone and never overheating isn't easy. If you overheat on Rumble it's a big DPS loss, and you can kite him super easily. CSing and wave management with Rumble is also difficult. Rumble is rewarding for people who play him well and punishing for those who don't. There are meaningful weaknesses and tradeoffs to every part of his kit.

You can't just cite "mana issues" as a weakness for Yorick. It's so easily overcome it's only an issue for his early game. There are a lot of strong items for him that also reduce his mana issues to the point where when Yorick is strong it's not worth considering. There are no meaningful tradeoffs to Yorick's abilities. He just throws his ghouls on you and makes you hate your life.

Yorick's also not easier to kite.

Ryze is shit to play against, but Rumble isn't? They do the same thing in lane, lol.

this is potentially one of the silliest things I've read on this forum.

One of them spams targeted abilities on you and brings hard cc. The other one is all skillshots. ok. totally the same.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

But if Yorick was strong balance wise in this meta he'd be pick or ban. All he needs is Chalice (something he can build easily with the rise of AP top laners) or tear and his mana issues are non-existent. Teleport means he can afk push with ghouls, then TP in and ult someone. Frozen Heart being good means he would also be really strong against AD top laners.
Having to itemize for mana regen is one of the major sticking points for someone like Yorick to me. What does a Yorick with Chalice or Tear really do? Be kind of annoying I guess, but his damage output, utility, and tankiness are all going to be really underwhelming.

Yorick doesn't have scaling on par with most other top laners, and coming in with a teleport to ult your allies lacks the offensive presence of other big top laners who can sandwich teams with CC and mobility.

I see two main types of top laners in most of my games: early game aggression stuff like Pantheon and Riven, who will outpush Yorick, outroam him, and generally just crush him if he tries to build mana items. Then there's scaling champs who hit power points in the mid or late game that Yorick just doesn't keep up with well, and most of them can TP around the map to much greater success. Do you really want to be Yorick vs. Irelia with a Manamune while she has Sheen/Phage? Do you want to be stuck in lane with no kill potential against Gnar/Ryze as they continue to scale into late?

Ocho

can anyone help me with these pc specs ? im playing on another rig right now and cant even get a stable 60fps 1280x768

4gb ram
amd 6 core 3.5 ghz
geforce 9800gt

nothing else is running besides lol. all drivers are updated i dont know what to do

That seems about right?

Newt

this is potentially one of the silliest things I've read on this forum.

One of them spams targeted abilities on you and brings hard cc. The other one is all skillshots. ok. totally the same.
I'm not talking about ability use. I'm talking about their purpose in lane. They're basically both just farm champions with no early game kill pressure, and it's very difficult to deny their mid/late game power spikes.

4gb ram
amd 6 core 3.5 ghz
geforce 9800gt

There's some weird shit going on. My old 9800gt rig could run this game 60fps on decent settings no problem.

jerd

So Eve has a weird shadow above her head too now, but it is of her ass

bg-evelynn.jpg

Riot having some fun with us

Howling Abyss runs pretty crappy if that's what you're playing on.

Also, game lags pretty bad if you have any moderate HDD activity going on (such as Steam updates).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Maybe Rito is the one who needs anatomy lessons.

zkylon

zkylewd
i'd say don't buy dfg on xerath (where the hell is your athenes) but if you managed to make lebonk miserable with it i guess you might be onto something lol

No Lux or Ori skins for you.
i'm gonna be so happy when you get proved wrong

They're way more oppressive champs than Yorick. Good example is Rumble. At least Yorick has to stack that tear.
Coincidentally Yorick always had the upper hand in the match-up against Rumble. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Tear sucks on him though. Chalice / Glacial Shroud + Sheen is all he needs with the sporadic mana potion(s) thrown into the mix without being reduced to a total pushover.

I get what you're saying about Rumble and I don't necessarily disagree with your assertion about immediatedly clear strengths and weaknesses, but even during his peak Yorick's were visible to anyone who would spend just a little bit of time looking into his kit and playing him once or twice instead of fussing over the so-called insufferable ghoul spam.

• If he goes Tear into Manamune, his early and midgame is bad, full stop. Only somewhere along the way in Season 3 did the item actually become anything worth a damn, but to this day it's still a noob trap on him that's easily punished.
  • Shaking off ghouls by walking into the brush was always fairly easy (laughably so nowadays) and if a Yorick likes to spam, build some resilience and stand near your minions whilst he ignorantly casts his W to dig his own grave... Provided you tell your jungler just how vulnerable he is.
  • He has no fast wave clear, so push him into his tower (after warding) if he doesn't buy anything proper with the first back and go be a threat elsewhere. Force him to choose: spend more mana for minions or lose experience + gold to help his team out.
  • If he's running Teleport, not only is his global pressure subpar (to put it lightly) but you have nothing to fear from him since the typical solo queue Yorick player lacks any killing power.
  • Putting a point into his ultimate at level 6 has always been a blatant mistake; rarely will it actually turn around a gank if activated on himself once he got into trouble and it'll only widen the gap in terms of raw combat stats against early fighters. In a lane that's decided by early advantages. Now imagine that during his prime where Irelia, Riven and Renekton among others were frequent picks.
  • Hell, his ghouls can even be exploited by sustain-heavy top laners - unless you're Vladimir, he gets spanked by Yorick - because it's essentially free health for them; Warwick, Susan, Nunu, E-maxing Cho'gath etc. always casually shrugged them off and current-day Trundle also gives no shits with appropriate runes et al thanks to his revised W. Gragas also wasn't particularly concerned due to his passive + long-range barrel.
Not to say Yorick doesn't have any strengths, but the complaints surrounding him (and Nunu top for that matter) always struck me as knee-jerk whining by those who couldn't be bothered putting some research into how to abuse his multiple shortcomings. In all his iterations. Even going so far as to say that mana isn't an issue for him kinda says it all, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom