• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT7| She Ezreal To Me, Dammit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
like when i play ranked (basically when im going to decay) i just try to play strong champs that make sense and hope everyone has a good time, im in elo heaven tho every ranked game ive played this season has everyone being really nice and compassionate

Crap, that reminds me. I gotta play a ranked before the 30th or else back to goldsville.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Please stop DDOSing Valve thank you ( ._.)

zkylon

zkylewd
i tried watching noobie stream but twitch works like shit for me for some reason

hopefully someone will upload vods to youtube

Nev

Banned
Wait, so you're complaining about champions you consider strong in a competitive mode because you refuse to play them...and you want to be able to stop anyone ELSE from playing them?

No, I want them not to exist in the game so it can be healthier. They bring pure toxicity and nothing else.

When you think "fuck this shit why I wasted the daily dodge" when someone picks a champion who isn't even a strong counter for your pick, you know something is wrong with the balance of this game.

as always are your opinions are wrong :3

festiv.jpg

- Loss of detail, check.
- Crushed colors, check.
- Christmas decorations looking flat as if they have no lighting, check.
- Instrument looking better / cleaner on PBE, check.

Wrong how? There's an argument to be made that the first in the above list was done to reduce the visual noise or what the hell term Riot's graphical designers like to use, but that's about it. Out of all the reworked textures, literally every other skin in its current PBE state is done better than Silent Night Sona's current iteration by a wide margin.

Except it's too early for this? Until we see whether or not Lucian is still picked in competitive, it's pretty much still an unknown. Besides that, a few days isn't really enough time to gauge it all.
Whether or not he'll be picked in competitive won't necessarily be much of an indication. Pro players have repeatedly displayed their ignorance before about whether x champion or y rework is any good, only to backpaddle on their original stance several months or mere weeks later if no noteworthy changes have occured to the state of the game or balance of a particular role. Then there's also the matter of teams typically sticking to what they know with traditional picks because it's safe and within their comfort zones, seeing how much there is on the line for them.

nev gotta nev

raising the number of bans wouldn't help, it'd just enforce this must-ban op thing and limit the number of possible comps and whatever.

problem isn't bans, it's op champions, which riot always sooner or later, nerfs.

i don't rely on meta picks/bans and never had trouble and i see weird shit all the time, tho i haven't played much ranked since 4.11 tbh
Number of bans is partially the problem, because 3 per side is something Riot stubbornly stuck with for a long time (Season 2?) regardless of how many (read: dozens of) champions they released since. They never even tried whether it'd be a good chance (which it would be), just a resolute "no" every single time they issued an official response. At this rate they'd probably still defend 3 bans per side if they ever reach 150. The notion of "game decided at champ select" is overblown, however.

we don't have the technology
i watched some of the noobie stream today it was pretty nice
Those monkeys over at the newbie stream don't have the slightest notion of volume management. Here, have a YouTube video of any given skill cranked up to the max ever since the start of the tournament whilst we talk, pretending our voices don't get drown out.

pigeon

Banned
Because I don't rely on bullshit to climb.

Like, I guarantee you we're gonna lose this even if we go 8-3 in early game.

Basically your position here is that pick/ban skill is bullshit and so you'd like changes to the game that would reduce its importance (specifically, more bans).

brian!

Those monkeys over at the newbie stream don't have the slightest notion of volume management. Here, have a YouTube video of any given skill cranked up to the max ever since the start of the tournament whilst we talk, pretending our voices don't get drown out.

i like that, it's kind of wacky
i also like that you called them monkeys, they are like a bunch of monkey buddies being excited about a situation and then excitedly telling the monkey children what happened because they think it's so awesome

i usually have the league client login music disabled because the music embarrasses me, but I remember before when they would have a special event and blast you away with loud ass music, I thought it was hilarious
also makes me think of that random comic when spirit udyr came out and he would shout things like I. AM THE TURTLE

zkylon

zkylewd
- Loss of detail, check.
- Crushed colors, check.
- Christmas decorations looking flat as if they have no lighting, check.
- Instrument looking better / cleaner on PBE, check.

Wrong how? There's an argument to be made that the first in the above list was done to reduce the visual noise or what the hell term Riot's graphical designers like to use, but that's about it. Out of all the reworked textures, literally every other skin in its current PBE state is done better than Silent Night Sona's current iteration by a wide margin.
loss of detail is worthless as it's mega sharpened and contrasted cringy "detail". same happened with pentakiru sona, they smooth out the colors killing some of the extra "detail" so it's easier on the eyes.

they gave her a more cohesive palette rather than her having a metal skirt and a mozzarella gown, upgraded her hair model (which are borked in your picture but are already fixed on pbe), made her piano guitar harp thingie stand out more (directing eye focus on important features as instrument, hair, boobs, hands, face, definitely not ugly ass mozzarella dress flaps) and you just see her and it's way more pleasing, as it is with the other sonas

try her ingame, it's tons better than old xmas sona

Number of bans is partially the problem, because 3 per side is something Riot stubbornly stuck with for a long time (Season 2?) regardless of how many (read: dozens of) champions they released since. They never even tried whether it'd be a good chance (which it would be), just a resolute "no" every single time they issued an official response. At this rate they'd probably still defend 3 bans per side if they ever reach 150. The notion of "game decided at champ select" is overblown, however.
probably cos adding more bans is just accepting the problem while keeping 3 is fighting it

the game gets better if more champions are balanced, not if less champions are played

balance is where riot's dropping the ball, which i'd say it's a lot on their systems design and very naive live design too

you can watch them as vods the client wherever

it's probably better cause you can mouse over stuff and read what they do
is this easy?

as with any source game i'm annoyed with it the very second i have to wait like a full minute for it to get to the main menu, so i always try and avoid opening the doto client

brian!

zkylon you couldn't even open the game when i invited you that one time
dota doods, have there been sick evo moments in the international yet

zkylon

zkylewd
well gm takes almost as long as doto to load my project

and to be fair to dotors to league to start a game

basically all of these programs are slow ass pieces of garbage

zkylon

zkylewd
it's an engine+ide like unity, ue3, construct, etc.

it's only 2d afaik and it has its annoyances (like everything) but it does the job for me and gets in the way less than flash.

not like rpgmaker, really, it allows you to like check for collisions and draw sprites on screen and crap but other than that you have to make everything yourself. there's nothing built in for jumping or shooting or character creation or anything like that

also ssds are really expensive in argieland and i'm dirt poor right now as far as big purchases are concerned

Tizoc

Good luck broski

Going jungle voli this time.
First time jungling, gonna build spirit of ancient golem, tank up and just Bork. No need for Warmog on him nowadays right or is he, like Warwick w/Wit's End, one of the very few people who make use of it? Probuilds show it being among his most purchased items, but if I go regular tank items I'd get 2000 health anyways...

i like that, it's kind of wacky
i also like that you called them monkeys, they are like a bunch of monkey buddies being excited about a situation and then excitedly telling the monkey children what happened because they think it's so awesome

i usually have the league client login music disabled because the music embarrasses me, but I remember before when they would have a special event and blast you away with loud ass music, I thought it was hilarious
also makes me think of that random comic when spirit udyr came out and he would shout things like I. AM THE TURTLE
I don't really mind the commentators themselves and a newbie stream existing is a good move on Valve's part, but I cannot fathom how no one on their team didn't walk up to them within 5 minutes to give each and every commentator a profound slap to the face for refusing to fix the volume. One week later and it's still being left as is.

Developers of any kind foregoing audio sliders is also another unacceptable oversight now that you mention it, be it the League client (where they're seemingly playing darts how loud or quiet the next intro should be) or audio-oriented websites like Bandcamp, Amazon's initiative or social media jerk-off sites like Vine.

loss of detail is worthless as it's mega sharpened and contrasted cringy "detail". same happened with pentakiru sona, they smooth out the colors killing some of the extra "detail" so it's easier on the eyes.

they gave her a more cohesive palette rather than her having a metal skirt and a mozzarella gown, upgraded her hair model (which are borked in your picture but are already fixed on pbe), made her piano guitar harp thingie stand out more (directing eye focus on important features as instrument, hair, boobs, hands, face, definitely not ugly ass mozzarella dress flaps) and you just see her and it's way more pleasing, as it is with the other sonas

try her ingame, it's tons better than old xmas sona
With all the other PBE textures, Riot maintained the loss of detail (if any at all) on the other skins a lot better without messing up the colors, sans her hair. Which I previously didn't mention anyways, so I don't know why you bring it up. I have a PBE account and Silent Night Sona simply doesn't look cohesive on either version of Summoner's Rift right now, to the point it appears as if they forgot to go through another pass for that one, compared to Sona's other skins.

We're probably going to keep disagreeing anyways.

probably cos adding more bans is just accepting the problem while keeping 3 is fighting it

the game gets better if more champions are balanced, not if less champions are played

balance is where riot's dropping the ball, which i'd say it's a lot on their systems design and very naive live design too
Three bans have been the norm since Season 2, with no sight of this being improved upon for Season 5... despite the dozens of additions and even then we practically had to beg for 3 instead of 2!

Even if literally all the champions were balanced (which is an insurmountable task), you'd still run into a numbers issue with the current amount of available bans. I never said they couldn't work on the balance either alongside increasing how many bans are permitted to each team, because it shouldn't even be a matter of "choose between one or the other." Both are problematic.

Nev

Banned
Basically your position here is that pick/ban skill is bullshit and so you'd like changes to the game that would reduce its importance (specifically, more bans).

Yes, basically. It's one of the worst things of Dota and Riot made a pretty good job by making gameplay more deciding than clicking on a champion portrait. I understand that it makes sense in Dota since it's more a strategy game than anything and the player input in these games is nowhere near that of a highly mechanical champion in Lol like Xerath, Zed, Draven or Riven and 80% is point and click, but in Lol, actual player skill in the most pure sense of it is very important (if you're not playing Irelia, Ryze and such Dotaish bullshit champions), not only strategy and mind games, so it makes no sense to have games decided in champ select.

Yes, basically. It's one of the worst things of Dota and Riot made a pretty good job by making gameplay more deciding than clicking on a champion portrait. I understand that it makes sense in Dota since it's more a strategy game than anything and the player input in these games is nowhere near that of a highly mechanical champion in Lol like Xerath, Zed, Draven or Riven and 80% is point and click, but in Lol, actual player skill in the most pure sense of it is very important (if you're not playing Irelia, Ryze and such Dotaish bullshit champions), not only strategy and mind games, so it makes no sense to have games decided in champ select.
meepo.

riven is like

not skillful

compared to like anyone dota

more active items alone can make it get crazy very quickly

and shes basically a storm spirit anyway

its not hard to mix in right clicks

scy

riven is like

not skillful

compared to like anyone dota

more active items alone can make it get crazy very quickly

and shes basically a storm spirit anyway

its not hard to mix in right clicks

I know I shouldn't take that seriously but it's worth noting it's a movement cancel into an attack command so it's two clicks to optimize it. Failing it either doesn't decrease the time spent (due to no proper animation cancel) or increases time (due to not cancelling the movement fast enough).

in the end tho, puddin' pop

I have no idea how anyone can win or carry with Voli...

I just did.

Flash roar into erryone, pop ult attack randomly. Die and laugh while everyone else stomps the enemy. Also get Blade of the ruined king as your 1 dmg item. That thing is awesome on Voli. Alternatively if enemy team has Lulu/Thresh or anyone that kites you, peel very hard.

I'm in gld 3

Nev

Banned

One out of one hundred. And he's not as hard as Dota fanboys say when trying to deny the fact that 80% of the roster is a comma-inducing autotarget toon. His difficulty lies exclusively in unit management, since he has only one "real" spell, he's not comparable with things like Vel'Koz. Invoker would've been a better example since he's one of the few fun and hard heroes in Dota 2.

Caitlyn is one of the easiest champions in Lol yet she's miles harder and more engaging than that aberration called Sniper.

League of Legends is a better game than Dota 2.

Haly

While Cait is, gameplay wise, more complex than Sniper, she's actually a lot easier, because she has so many tools at her disposal, as well as the ubiquitous Flash.

One of the things most League purists never realize is that the point-and-click autoattackers in DOTA2 are actually very difficult to play well, because their narrow toolkit requires supreme positioning.

When you don't have built in movement (Lucian, Ezreal, Cait, Trist, Vayne, Flash), playing a right clicker becomes much harder.

See: Ashe, Miss Fortune

brian!

there is no use in comparing champs from different games u dinguses
puddin pop

i think if you actually want to think about champs vs. heroes
dota has more singular hero skills and that's reflected in how their games play out
and league has more rigid roles and variations on a theme and thats reflected on how their games play out
both r pretty complex in practice because of human beans

also, while something like ashe or mf is harder to play than lucian or corki, you also get some more options playing easier champs, not that that necesarily balances out their ease tho, it's just not as straightforward as "champ takes more skill to play->better game design"

in dota, invoker takes a bunch of practice to get good at and he's a pretty good hero, but he might be easier to have success with than like sniper, who has to position in a land of blink daggerz and lothars and stuff, both heroes are kool tho and can find areas where they succeed

jerd

I have no idea how anyone can win or carry with Voli...

Very aggressively. He has so much early game power with that W.

At low elo starting your red then going straight to theirs and seeing the enemy jungler (working from the blue side) is pretty much a free kill.

I think Trick2g's Udyr is bullshit but he's an insanely knowledgeable Voli player and his Volibear My Way vids are worth watching if you're interested in learning the champ. He punishes the enemy team early, especially the jungler.

Edit: Just saw your earlier post and there is no need for bork unless you're really super snowballing.

Worth noting tho that I'm trash at this game and my opinions mean nothing.

scy

One of the things most League purists never realize is that the point-and-click autoattackers in DOTA2 are actually very difficult to play well, because their narrow toolkit requires supreme positioning.

I think this goes both ways in regards to DotA purists.

Also, most right-click carries in DotA2 are harder to play well compared to League simply by virtue of more of them being melee :x

Haly

Tanky deeps.

I like to Jungle this champ.

Build Triforce for massive damage.

brian!

like in dota you are more likely to pick a hero for a single wombo skill than in league where you try to pick based on how well they can do their particular role
so the former has more (? i dunno if its true but i think it might be) fluid team compositions, whereas the latter kind of has a lot of "tier, best-in-slot" situations
tho obviously both consider team comp, both consider strong overall role fitting, etc.

jerd

Can't we all just be friends.

Eve nerfs on PBE :*(

Braum

Glacial Fissure ( R ) knock up time reduced to 1/1.3/1.5 from 1.5 at all ranks
Glacial Fissure ( R ) slow field amount reduced to 40/50/60% from 60% at all ranks

Evelynn
Hate Spike ( Q ) damage lowered to 30/45/60/75/90 from 40/60/80/100/120
Hate Spike ( Q ) mana cost lowered to 12/18/24/30/36 from 16/22/28/34/40

Graves
! ( Q ) enemies hit with multiple bullets now take 40% damage from each additional bullet, up from 35%
! ( R ) initial damage increased to 250/400/550 from 250/350/450
! ( R ) explosiotn damage increased to 200/320/440 from 200/280/360

Hecarim
Rampage ( Q ) mana cost reduced to 24/26/28/30/32 from 24/28/32/36/40

Kog'Maw
Base HP lowered to 400 from 440
HP Per level increased to 88 from 84
Caustic Spittle ( Q ) MR/Armor shred changed to 12/16/20/24/28 from 20/22/24/26/28

Le'Blanc

Distortion ( W ) mana cost lowred to 80/85/90/95/100 from 80/90/100/110/120

Lee Sin
Safeguard ( W 1 ) shield duration lowered to 2 seconds from 4 seconds
Cripple ( E 2 ) no longer lists that it reduces attack speed

Lucian

Relentless Pursuit ( E ) no longer lists it reduces slow effects

Lulu
Whimsy ( W ) movement speed duration lowered to 3/3.5/4/4.5/5 seconds from 5 seconds at all ranks

Nami

Base movement speed lowered to 335 from 340
Ebb and Flow ( W ) cooldown increased to 10 seconds from 9 seconds

Sivir

( R ) movement speed bonus reduction time increased to 2/4/6 secons from 2/3/4 seconds

Tristana
Rocket Jump ( W ) slow duration now 1/1.5/2/2.5/3.0 from 2.5 at all ranks
Explosive Shot ( E ) dot damage lowered to 80/125/170/215/260 from 110/150/190/230/270

Vayne
Attack speed per level increased to 4 from 3.1
Final Hour ( R ) bonus AD increased to 30/50/70 from 25/40/55

But yay for graves buffs!

Nev

Banned

Let's assume Sven positioning is much harder than, I don't know, Trundle, Udyr or Renekton. That doesn't deny my point: Dota 2 is almost entirely based on strategy. And that's why I think Riot made the perfect choice by sacrificing some of that strategy factor in favor of a more gameplay focused game. Of course, they can always build upon the tight, satisfying gameplay they already have by adding more active items and such. As long as they never add illogical, un fun, bug-become-features like denying I don't care if they add 100 more active items.

Haly

like in dota you are more likely to pick a hero for a single wombo skill than in league where you try to pick based on how well they can do their particular role
Well, that's thanks to the League Champion Design Template

1) Gap closer
2) Auto Attack Passive with Steroid Active
3) Skillshot/conditional CC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom