• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT8| Goodbye, Promos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newt

Looks like Riot is unfortunately continuing on the path of creating gimmicky champions with kits that will either be way too powerful or underpowered, and inevitably create a bunch of bugs.

They should be looking at the game itself and saying "what have we never done before, that will also spice up the meta and force people to look at and play the game in a new way?"

Very few of the new champions really do this.
Yeah, I see that. Velkoz, Liss, Jinx and Aatrox all seem fine by design though.

Einbroch

Banned
Pick her top. Don't soulbind until later, determining your best player or engager. Enjoy unlimited poke and disengage.

She's freaking Quinn!

jerd

I actually prefer gimmicks to a bunch of champs that all do similar things in different combinations with different numbers, but I can see how it makes balance nearly impossible.

Leezard

Looks like Riot is unfortunately continuing on the path of creating gimmicky champions with kits that will either be way too powerful or underpowered, and inevitably create a bunch of bugs.

They should be looking at the game itself and saying "what have we never done before, that will also spice up the meta and force people to look at and play the game in a new way?"

Very few of the new champions really do this.

The bolded will force a gimmick, so yay?

jerd

The ulti not doing damage is weird. Kalista is weird.

And yeah after 120 champions it is probs kind of hard to find stuff that none of the others do that wouldn't be labeled as gimmicky

Edit: yeah what they said

Bacon

Hasn't riot stated in the past that they don't want to encourage players to move away from the 1-1-1-2 meta, at least in solo q? I could be misremembering though.

Bacon

Riot has been on fire these past few months. From the champ updates to champ releases to new map to new splash arts they've just been firing on all cylinders.

Can't hate the hustle.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I wish I could play Lulu support confidently again. Riot said they didn't want to gut her as a support and that's exactly what they did. Leezard was spot on when he said she has lots of different tools but all had to be tuned such that she's not ace in any of them. Be nice if they took something out of her kit entirely and refocused her.
I dunno. If you want to play Lulu there are lots of situations you can pick into it right now.

Blizzard

Banned
It's nice to see another lady champion, though it's too bad they had to kill her first.

I wonder how long the skulls last. It just says "a few times".

I wonder if there's a range limit on the soulbound thing. I'm assuming you can only grab a nearby champion, and not Shen-ult anyone to yourself.

And now every champ has a knockup for Yasuo to use! Synergy!
Every game can have an AOE knockup ult for Yasuo, and an AOE knockup ult to stop Katarina! Though I guess if you happen to get Katarina on the same team as Kalista, that would be positive for Katarina.

really want sentinel to not do anything besides scream at ppl

Since you like spooky skeletons and screaming, you might enjoy this comic. Click the image to embiggen after it loads.
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/The_d51fec_347074.png

Einbroch

Banned
Kalista was designed by CertainlyT.

It all makes sense. His champions are so outside the "meta" of champions that they're incredibly difficult to balance. See: Zed, Thresh, Yasuo.

Leezard

And non-problem abilities are nerfed on Lucian, once again.

You know, for a 'short-range' champion, Lucian's got access to a lot of long-range damage once he gets past the early game. Our big focus here is to push Lucian into closer combat range more often by reducing the power on some of his safer spells. At this point you might ask why Q has a 1100 range (well, 500 cast but 1100 total), and that would be a good question. Also, when you consider it, The Culling's 50 second cooldown at rank 3 is pretty crazy

Leezard

It all makes sense. His champions are so outside the "meta" of champions that they're incredibly difficult to balance. See: Zed, Thresh, Yasuo.

Prepare for some OP fun at release then!

I read it, and I don't agree with it at all. Lucian's problems lie within his early game.

Do you not think his range on his Q is the reason for his strong early game? If the range was shortened, he would have a much harder time getting ahead.

They're not that difficult to balance, but Riot dances around the issues. Compare the way Zed was nerfed to the way Yasuo was nerfed

Blizzard

Banned
And non-problem abilities are nerfed on Lucian, once again.

I read it, and I don't agree with it at all. Lucian's problems lie within his early game.

Do you not think his range on his Q is the reason for his strong early game? If the range was shortened, he would have a much harder time getting ahead.
So W and R are not problem abilities. Are Q or E problem abilities, then?

Leezard and the patch notes talked about Q, which you then objected to. That only leaves R, or the passive, or that you consider none of Lucian's abilities, to be problematic, Newt.

If you meant the passive, why not say "Riot failed to nerf Lucian's primary problem, the passive"?

If you meant no abilities were problematic, why not say "Riot failed to nerf Lucian's primary problem, the [whatever]"?

Newt

Do you not think his range on his Q is the reason for his strong early game?.
No, I think his Q damage is the issue. Like compare his Q to Miss Fortune's since they function kind of similarly. She does 20 base and 85% AD ratio. He does 80 base with 60% ratio. The rest of his kit is fine, heck I'm okay with the 50 second culling. Just lower his damage on that Q. He doesn't sacrifice anything for that kinda of damage (don't bring up range).

The end is near

t1415692800z1.png

woah wtf that's a lot more time than I thought I had.

If anyone wants to help a homie get to gold in 3's, pls halp.

Yeah, the damage on W is hardly noticeable

As long as Riot refuses to touch his passive and Q, Lucian ain't going anywhere

Also did I read Kalista's ult right? She becomes untargetable as well? If so HOLY SHIT

jerd

R: Fate's Call
Kalista repositions her bound ally next to her, making them untargetable and disabling their spells. During Fate’s Call, Kalista’s Soul-Bound gains a new ability, which allows the Soul-Bound to dash in a target direction, knocking up enemies they strike.

Yep

5 man gank? Excuse us while we saunter away

Blizzard

Banned
Also did I read Kalista's ult right? She becomes untargetable as well? If so HOLY SHIT
I can't tell from the video. "They" and "their" can be genderless forms of "he/his" / "she/hers". It would make sense that the soulbound is untargetable, since they turn into a glowing light.

Since you can still see Kalista, one would expect her to be targetable.

Leezard

No, I think his Q damage is the issue. Like compare his Q to Miss Fortune's since they function kind of similarly. She does 20 base and 85% AD ratio. He does 80 base with 60% ratio. The rest of his kit is fine, heck I'm okay with the 50 second culling. Just lower his damage on that Q. He doesn't sacrifice anything for that kinda of damage (don't bring up range).

I don't think a comparison with MF's Q is reasonable, since they are on different kits. You might as well compare MF's ult with Lucian's ult, where MF wins by far.

Q damage can be relevant, but let's not act as if the range is not a tradeoff. Whether the damage is still too good despite is another matter, but I think it is fair for him to have a single strong damage spell considering he is early-mid game focused. The W nerf does make him weaker in the mid game.

You want him to be a mid game champ rather than an early game champ, is that correct? In that case, I think it's just a design choice by riot and I don't have any strong opinion on the matter. I'm convinced the guy will keep getting nerfed if he keeps being dominant, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom