• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends World Championships 2015 |OCT 1-OCT 31|

Can someone explain this game stage to me? Are they playing for points to actually make it into the tournament, kinda? I don't get what happens if someone wins/loses these games.

idlewild_

Can someone explain this game stage to me? Are they playing for points to actually make it into the tournament, kinda? I don't get what happens if someone wins/loses these games.

There are 4 groups of 4 teams. Each group plays a double round robin, the top 2 teams in each group advance to the bracket stages.

Azzurri

You're put in groups and play 6 games and which ever 2 teams have the best record advance. It's like World Cup.

Stiler

Man, I sucked at this group stage of pick ems, got 0 right in group D, dang TSM :(.

I really relaly hope C9 makes it tomorrow, I want to see them cream fnatic.

Kirye

End of an era. Dyrus was one of the biggest reasons I got into playing League of Legends, sad seeing the last member of the Baylife life leave. Say what you will about his recent performance, the guy's a legend.

I admire for sticking around for so long after the departure of the other members of the great season 2 team, which dominated NA (I think it's often forgotten/not known just how dominant that team was), and even if he was never competitive against the best international top laners, he was still schooling most of his domestic competition long after Regi and TOO had said enough. My favourite moment of his has to be him yelling "Get the fuck out of my lane!" at Ackerman as he solo kills him during game 5 of LMQ/TSM. Well, apart from that time he completely lost it at his (bad) jungler on stream, demanded to play jungle next game, and hard carried.

That said, I remember him saying Nidalee top was a joke champion and mocking RF Legendary for playing it weeks before season 2 Worlds. Then Stanley happened.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Sad to see Dyrus go. Didn't have a great last split but the dude's a legend. Seems like a nice guy too.

I'd imagine TSM's gonna be in full rebuilding mode.

C9 is NA's only hope, even though they're 3rd seed and almost faced relegations a few months ago against Team 8. Then C9 proceeded to reverse sweep Gravity Gaming and Team Impulse, then defeat Team Liquid to get into Worlds.

Now C9 are 3-0 at Worlds 2015, defeating Fnatic, iG, and AHQ!

How are they doing it?

Edit: It took C9 9 Games to win 3 of them in NA LCS Summer 2015.

patchday

C9 is NA's only hope, even though they're 3rd seed and almost faced relegations a few months ago against Team 8. Then C9 proceeded to reverse sweep Gravity Gaming and Team Impulse, then defeat Team Liquid to get into Worlds.

How are they doing it?

Edit: It took C9 9 Games to win 3 of them in NA LCS Summer 2015.

Maybe at some point they realized they got a solid shot at this thing

Well you know- at placing well. I would love to see them beat SKT. I know its plain crazy talk but I want to see it :)

How are they doing it?

Incarnation needed time to adjust. Hai needed time to get used to Pro Level Jungle. The team needed to stop making stupid picks. Sneaky and Lemon were always pretty good botlane. Balls is still a worrying trend.

Shotcalling from Jungle is actually the easiest role to shotcall from, so Hai is in a better position to lead his team.

Also, I think they did the opposite of CLG coming into Worlds. CLG relied on misleading Scrim information where C9 played far more soloQ to practice meta champs. C9 was able to get creative comps from this experience.

It's like Koo had a lot of trouble in Summer, but they played so much SoloQ that their entire team went into top 10 challenger. They had a ton of wins and crazy picks from that point.

zkylon

zkylewd
i kind of feel like the juggernaut patch was just too soon

yeah, competitive league is a game much about adapting to new metas and strategies and that should be rewarded, but it also creates a weird disconnect between how teams were the last time you saw them and now

i was of the thought that the month there was between the juggernaut patch and worlds was enough, but i think i've changed my mind, i want to see the lgd that played chinese playoffs, not one that's struggling to understand a new meta

i dunno, it's weird, can't help but feel that this worlds has been a bit too crazy because of that and while it's fun to see c9 and origen do unpredictably well, i also want to see the teams i watched win chinese playoffs. i feel those would've given skt a run for their money and now we're probably stuck with a really one-sided worlds

eh...

yeah, competitive league is a game much about adapting to new metas and strategies and that should be rewarded, but it also creates a weird disconnect between how teams were the last time you saw them and now

i was of the thought that the month there was between the juggernaut patch and worlds was enough, but i think i've changed my mind, i want to see the lgd that played chinese playoffs, not one that's struggling to understand a new meta

i dunno, it's weird, can't help but feel that this worlds has been a bit too crazy because of that and while it's fun to see c9 and origen do unpredictably well, i also want to see the teams i watched win chinese playoffs. i feel those would've given skt a run for their money and now we're probably stuck with a really one-sided worlds

eh...

Yeah, I think the Worlds patch, or at least the last major champ rework patch should be done before summer split ends. Teams need to play at the Pro Level with reworked champs, not trying to figure it out in SoloQ.

zkylon

zkylewd
poor dyrus, really was hoping he'd get a win at the end at least, he had pretty rough play in all the games and ending ur career on a 0-3 day is not awesome

at least the good guy riot gave him a nice emotional goodbye, that was nice, tho for a moment all the ppl choked up made it sound like he died or something lol

Yeah, I think the Worlds patch, or at least the last major champ rework patch should be done before summer split ends. Teams need to play at the Pro Level with reworked champs, not trying to figure it out in SoloQ.
yeah, i think so, while it's no excuse for chinese teams really underperforming, i think it just throws a lot of the build up and excitement around worlds out the window when you don't let teams play out the way that brought them to worlds because a sudden meta shift screw their style of play over, or they just don't get to adapt quickly enough

like, while league of legends is a lot about adapting to new metas, i don't think worlds should necessarily be about that, and it's a shame you don't get to see teams at their highest because of something that happens "off camera"

eh...
Well think of it this way, competitive is fun and all but how fun would it be to have both juggernaut and marksman changes at the start of the preseason?

These teams had several months to get used to it. Failing to adapt ain't Riot's fault specially when they're used to having to adapt to new patches in two weeks.

idlewild_

The LPL playoffs were on the juggernaut patch. I do think the changes were too close to worlds, they didn't get to scout how other regions used the juggernauts while they had to show some of their hands in the playoffs. Obviously there were a couple tuning patches afterwards that brought some of the juggernauts down, but the play styles and some of the pick/ban strategies were already there.

Top Bottom