• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends World Championships 2015 |OCT 1-OCT 31|

Neol

Man sjokz outfit today.

H7kVder.gif

Not just the result, but the performance, was exceptional today. Fnatic were just too good. Showing great strategic variety and superior shotcalls, they ended up running EDG into the ground in the second and third games. The last Chinese hope, and the reigning MSI champion, goes out, and it wasn't close. Both SFs are going to be KR vs. EU, but the KOO Tigers or KT won't be clear favourites against Fnatic.

Just to show how exceptional this result is, I put together an all-time list of occasions when a western (NA or EU) team has beaten an eastern (CN, SEA, or KR) team in a World Championships playoff series:

Moscow Five 2-0 Invictus Gaming (Season 2)
CLG.eu 2-1 World Elite (Season 2)
Origen 3-1 yoE Flash Wolves (Season 5)
Fnatic 3-0 Edward Gaming (Season 5)

And a list of other occasions in League history when a western (NA or EU) team has beaten an eastern (CN, SEA, or KR) team in a best of series in a major tournament (might be missing one or two):

CLG.eu 2-0 World Elite (Season 2, OGN Summer)
CLG.eu 3-1 Najin Sword (Season 2, OGN Summer)
Fnatic 2-0 Taipei Assassins (Season 2, IPL5)
Moscow Five 2-1 Azubu Blaze (Season 2, IPL5)
Fnatic 2-0 Taipei Assassins (Season 2, IPL5)
Gambit Gaming 2-0 Azubu Blaze (Season 3, IEM Katowice)
Gambit Gaming 2-0 Azubu Frost (Season 3, IEM Katowice)
Team Solomid 3-0 World Elite (Season 5, IEM Worlds)
Team Solomid 2-1 yoE Flash Wolves (Season 5, IEM Worlds)

Leezard

Not just the result, but the performance, was exceptional today. Fnatic were just too good. Showing great strategic variety and superior shotcalls, they ended up running EDG into the ground in the second and third games. The last Chinese hope, and the reigning MSI champion, goes out, and it wasn't close. Both SFs are going to be KR vs. EU, but the KOO Tigers or KT won't be clear favourites against Fnatic.

Just to show how exceptional this result is, I put together an all-time list of occasions when a western (NA or EU) team has beaten an eastern (CN, SEA, or KR) team in a World Championships playoff series:
(snip)
It really puts it into perspective. The 3-0 sweep against one of the favorites to make it to the finals is huge.

The semis will be very exciting. It was a very long time since an EU team beat a Korean team in a BO5, but Fnatic could do it.

EU as a region sure has performed above expectations this World's.

killatopak

Gold Member
Hometown crowd would go bonkers if two eu teams make the finals. I have hopes for fnc but origen has a tall task to accomplish.

faridmon

As much as Chinese teams sucked in the worlds, their league is the most entertaining league out there just because of the aggressive nature. I suppose that doesn't translate well into the current meta, but find the passive, boring way of NA and Korean League very tedius and EU is all Fnatic.

Too bad EDG were really bad, thank god I am not fan of them. Hope OMG comes to Worlds next year.

Had a feeling the series was going to go sideways as soon as EDG came out with their ADC Teleport composition. China's all about early aggression and constant, high-level teamfighting. A Chinese team with a split-push/map rotation composition that has no teamfight potential is like a dog with a graphing calculator.

The only reason they even would have tried that is if they thought their core playstyle couldn't win, which the rest of the series proved was pretty valid reasoning. They still pulled a fight or two off Fnatic with superior teamfighting, but it never even looked like it was going to be enough to carry the entire game.

They should have run three gimmick compositions, that way China could at least supplant NA as the Land of Dumb Gimmicks, instead of exiting this tournament only remembered for being a region based around early smash-mouth group play that got constantly out-aggressed early and beaten in teamfights. RIP Chinese LoL Identity.

faridmon

They should have run three gimmick compositions, that way China could at least supplant NA as the Land of Dumb Gimmicks, instead of exiting this tournament only remembered for being a region based around early smash-mouth group play that got constantly out-aggressed early and beaten in teamfights. RIP Chinese LoL Identity.

You sound salty for some reason

Chinese identity was still intact throughout their matches. The early aggression was still there, they constantly ganked, dived under turret, picked out out of position champs and always turret dived with 3 or more. The adc tp, while under baked, just went further with that team style. Not to mention the heavy reliance on map vision and map control was played until the end, which favoured them all the way to the tournament.

The problem is that, the current meta was too much for them, and they were never ready for it. and once they tried to actually accommodated to that style of play, such as TP overload and emphasis on bruiser team composition, they were either too late, or throw out half assed ideas on how to counter it which was never going to give them any favour.

The Chinese teams played under huge pressure coming in which you cannot say that for NA teams with Cloud 9, for instance, pulling last min coup to actually be at the worlds (I still think they don't deserve being near it seeing how awful they played through the summer split) and had an identity which was just one style and one style only. Their methodical plays were decimated by even strategic Asian teams or high aggressive, counter based EU teams and never got out of gear one.

Comparing NA teams to Chinese teams is just unfair. Chinese teams were messy in their play just because the counter style of the new meta, NA team were just flat out bad,

zkylon

zkylewd
hey costy, can you call up the guy in charge of making the worlds page and call him a fucking idiot for putting up a giant spoiler saying REKKLES ON VICTORY OVER EDG in the main worlds page

i waited all day to watch this unspoiled and i can't even watch the vods on the official riot page because they have stupid unavoidable spoilers right there

fucking pissed me off

i can't believe riot would fuck up something as simple as not spoiling the winners in the fucking main page of worlds

You sound salty for some reason

Of course I'm salty. The knock-out stage thus far has been a pathetic farce due to China not showing up. After waiting so long to see the "new, improved" Chinese teams ascend to domination, they're sputtering out like wet farts.

The most disappointing international performance since NA's showing at Season 2 Worlds. I really cannot overstate just how thoroughly China has shit the bed in this tournament.

Chinese identity was still intact throughout their matches. The early aggression was still there, they constantly ganked, dived under turret, picked out out of position champs and always turret dived with 3 or more. The adc tp, while under baked, just went further with that team style. Not to mention the heavy reliance on map vision and map control was played until the end, which favoured them all the way to the tournament.

Running three teleports and Jayce as your ADC is basically a commitment to never being able to win a late-game teamfight. It's as close as you can get to a frank admission that the entire Chinese playstyle was not working during group stages and they had to workshop some desperate garbage on-the-fly for quarter-finals.

The problem is that, the current meta was too much for them, and they were never ready for it. and once they tried to actually accommodated to that style of play, such as TP overload and emphasis on bruiser team composition, they were either too late, or throw out half assed ideas on how to counter it which was never going to give them any favour.

Well, yeah. That's what I'm saying: they clearly realized that they were no match for other teams playing their game, so instead they sort of fumbled out a piss-poor attempt at a new style of play, got scorched, then immediately retreated back into their shells and got swept clean as a result.

They tried a Triple TP strategy because they knew they couldn't win with their standard playstyle. At that point, they may as well have trotted out some more gimmicks, because going back to orthodox play obviously wasn't going to save them much aside from maybe the humiliation of getting walked on in sub-30 minute games SKT style.

Comparing NA teams to Chinese teams is just unfair. Chinese teams were messy in their play just because the counter style of the new meta, NA team were just flat out bad,

The thing is, no one should have been expecting much out of North America, because North America has never done well at Worlds and there was no indication the crop of teams sent this season was any better prepared for what they would be facing than has ever been the case in the past. CLG aside, they generally played to par or outperformed expectations.

Meanwhile, a lot of time, money, and human resources went into China's run at Worlds this year, and everyone knows it. The Chinese teams of this season were the Miami Heat of LoL: piles of money burned up in hopes of "buying" a championship, with suitable degrees of elevated expectations behind them. These weren't teams built to get knocked out by EU squads in the quarter-finals; China's been managing that just fine without having to farm Korean talent or practically reinvent their team structures. Their performance has been beyond merely disappointing. We're not talking "Miami Heat failed to win the tournament", we're talking "Miami Heat failed to make the playoffs".

The NA teams go home, probably maintain the status quo but for a few bouts of finger-pointing and attrition of older players, then they go right back to preparing for a losing outing next year. Where do the Chinese teams go from here? Are they going to hemorrhage the high-cost talent they pulled in specifically to make a run at Worlds? Are these team organizations even going to continue to exist, in any meaningful form?

Nekofrog

Banned
the chinese teams just looked legitimately lost in the current meta. as if they knew what champions were considered overpowered or broken by the rest of the world, but they just didn't understand why or how. maybe that had a cursory understanding of how it worked, but they didn't see the bigger picture behind it.

once they were exposed as being behind the meta, they played a desperate game of catchup and leapfrogged from point A to point C without ever touching on point B and gaining the knowledge needed to execute their new way of approaching the game. it was like a monkey see, monkey do without understanding how.

the chinese teams just looked legitimately lost in the current meta. as if they knew what champions were considered overpowered or broken by the rest of the world, but they just didn't understand why or how. maybe that had a cursory understanding of how it worked, but they didn't see the bigger picture behind it.

once they were exposed as being behind the meta, they played a desperate game of catchup and leapfrogged from point A to point C without ever touching on point B and gaining the knowledge needed to execute their new way of approaching the game. it was like a monkey see, monkey do without understanding how.

More or less. It didn't even look like the kind of "desperately clever" cheese strategies you used to see CLG or Dignitas try on Korean teams in the old days when they knew they had no chance winning a straight-up match. (Though, it worked about as well, all things considered.)

Definitely didn't have the feel a strategy they had been "saving" and rehearsing in scrims with other teams from their region. I wouldn't be surprised if they literally came up with the idea over the course of last week.

Supast4r

I agree with MonteCristo in that each of the Chinese teams had distinct flaws:

EDG: Very inconsistent, can either be dominant or get steamrolled which works in groups but doesn't work out of groups, their top laner was injured which hurts in a top focused meta.

LGD: So many management issues that they couldn't prepare correctly. Management issues also created horrible internal issues with the teammates which make them question their individual skill etc.

Invictus gaming: Was never a strong team to begin with.

Leezard

hey costy, can you call up the guy in charge of making the worlds page and call him a fucking idiot for putting up a giant spoiler saying REKKLES ON VICTORY OVER EDG in the main worlds page

i waited all day to watch this unspoiled and i can't even watch the vods on the official riot page because they have stupid unavoidable spoilers right there

fucking pissed me off

i can't believe riot would fuck up something as simple as not spoiling the winners in the fucking main page of worlds
That really sucks. In the future, you can try the "loleventvods" subreddit on reddit. It's always spoiler free and they are fast with the vods.

fucking pissed me off

Sorry to hear that. You should bookmark the vods page of the worlds site. Vods. That's what I did.

Makareu

That really sucks. In the future, you can try the "loleventvods" subreddit on reddit. It's always spoiler free and they are fast with the vods.

Yeah this subreddit is flawless when you want to catch up a competitve event without being spoiled. Even the lenght of the youtube videos is set to 1h30 so you can not guess if it is a stomp or not.

Usobuko

Banned
I don't care about EU finals, I want to see a EU team breaking the Korean stranglehold.

I am not from EU and I have nothing against the koreans but this makes the competitive scene a lot more interesting.

Neol

Besides those 2 kills in the beginning, Koo is playing pretty solidly.

Good reactions to KT plays and punishing them hard as well.

Turn on the games to see Smeb dumpstering on Fiora

oh, what champion is she against top...?

Huh.

Suppose someone's going to try tell me Darius counters Fiora again.

Top Bottom