• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends World Championships 2015 |OCT 1-OCT 31|

zkylon

zkylewd
bo2 are almost guaranteed next year, tho i wonder if they'll have to cut the number of teams or something. level of lcs didn't really improve much from having 10 teams anyways

Exactly. With the rate LoL is growing, it should have been more, but it has been less even with a timezone that fits best with the biggest LoL audience that is Korea and China.

Who knows though. LCS has really picked up slack this season compared to last year, so maybe NA will wake up early and EU will wash the salt off and stick around.

i dunno, at one point you reach the cap of diminishing returns and that's it, you can't expect a game to skyrocket forever and that's perfectly fine. problem is people take not skyrocketing as doomsday stuff which is insane because of how ridiculously popular this silly game is

also we don't know the figures of this worlds yet but i imagine it's gonna be pretty big as always

Only Korea beats Korea.

Up Korea to 5 guaranteed world spots.
Down Eu to 2
NA 1 legacy spot
Rest same-ish (dunno how many china and other asian teams have)

eliminate current wild card

make a real wild card tournament with eu seed 3,4. Na seed 2,3. Korea seed 6,7 and the best teams from small region like brazil and australia/japan whatever.

bamm fixed and fair now.

zkylon

zkylewd
Only Korea beats Korea.

Down Eu to 2
NA 1 legacy spot

make a real wild card tournament with eu seed 3,4. Na seed 2,3. Korea seed 6,7 and the best teams from small region like brazil and australia/japan whatever.

bamm fixed and fair now.
uhh... there's nothing to fix?

patchday

This is going to sound really stupid-- but I don't understand how these NA teams got shut out completely. And then Fnatic got blown away by Koo.

What are these Korean teams doing in their spare time? Could it be they're on some kinda mental enhancing drugs??! LOL!!!

I need to go back and try to analyze the vids. Where can I get access to actual replays w/o the LCS announcers muking things up?! They are absolutely top notch but I could follow these matches much better if I could watch the replays myself

Only Korea beats Korea.

Down Eu to 2
NA 1 legacy spot

bamm fixed and fair now.

Why would they give even more spots to Korea?
It's Worlds, not a Korean tournament.

It's like FIFA Worlds, you have teams from everywhere, even if they don't stand a chance of winning the cup, or even getting out of groups.

Yes, you wan't to have the best teams, but the best teams of all the competitive regions.

This is going to sound really stupid-- but I don't understand how these NA teams got shut out completely. And then Fnatic got blown away by Koo.

What are these Korean teams doing in their spare time? Could it be they're on some kinda mental enhancing drugs??! LOL!!!

I need to go back and try to analyze the vids. Where can I get access to actual replays w/o the LCS announcers muking things up?! They are absolutely top notch but I could follow these matches much better if I could watch the replays myself

Korea has a much better format for their regular split which transitions nicely to Worlds. NA/EU play BO1's.

Both Origen and Fnatic pretty much went on tilt central after their first game loss. NA/EU just doesn't have the experience with BO5's.

Edit: I should just say EU here only. Cause NA is just shit. The suck.

Annubis

Korea is the central hub or e-sports. As such, you have a much bigger pool of possible players than any other region. There's also a lot more sponsorship there so it's much easier to attempt being a pro player.

NSESN

Only Korea beats Korea.

Down Eu to 2
NA 1 legacy spot

bamm fixed and fair now.

There's LCK if i want to see only Korean teams

Korean teams have a much better structure and take the game - both solo Q and competitive - far more seriously. That's pretty much all there is to it.

zkylon

zkylewd
tbh you can't just talk about format when china did so poorly with their bo2s.

the key thing in korea is infrastructure. lots of veteran esports coaches and learned practices from other games, more competitive solo q, more competitive challenger series, less streaming and goofing around a shit ton of strict practice, coaches that have a lot more power over teams, better scouting and developing of new talent, etc.

just a more experienced region in many aspects. the game structure is part of that, but it's not the single determining factor

Firestorm

I just want some of these wildcard teams gone from Worlds. They make so many of the group stage games such a snooze.
BKT games were a snooze sure, but paiN was fun this year and won two of their games. They were really close to a third win as well. Brazil is quickly improving and their scene is pretty active. If we only care about who can win Worlds, then why does the NA (and arguably EU) LCS have spots at all?

cblol-2015-allianz-parque-publico-riot-games.jpg

dioud-final-2-Photo-Riot.jpg

Why would they give even more spots to Korea?
It's Worlds, not a Korean tournament.

It's like FIFA Worlds, you have teams from everywhere, even if they don't stand a chance of winning the cup, or even getting out of groups.

Yes, you wan't to have the best teams, but the best teams of all the competitive regions.

you still have the best two EU teams and the best NA team in no matter what and the wild card tournament would be competitive and worth watching in itself. Give small regions a legit shot at qualifying against second tier teams from strong region instead of "best of the worst"

FIFA gives 13 spots of 32 to EU because they are the strongest region. i don't know why NA gets 3 and Korea gets 3. i want the best of the best at worlds and if that means only korean teams at playoffs then so be it. at least those matches will be interesting instead of korea stomping everyone.

wildcards are just a waste of everyone's time.
who really want to see a horrible team lose vs. seeing two great teams going at each other?

Firestorm

FIFA gives 13 spots of 32 to EU because they are the strongest region. i don't know why NA gets 3 and Korea gets 3. i want the best of the best at worlds and if that means only korean teams at playoffs then so be it. at least those matches will be interesting instead of korea stomping everyone.

wildcards are just a waste of everyone's time.
wo really want to see a horrible team lose vs. seeing two great teams going at each other?
Then watch OGN.

Each country in the FIFA World Cup gets one team regardless of how deep their pool of good players is. The point of the World Cup is the international competition. You need a wider range of countries or otherwise you could just watch the local league and get the same effect. The other regions need to get better and Worlds needs to be that goal or they'll just die.

The point is giving these teams a venue to actually try and win, not make it easier for KR teams to get a shot at a million bucks

Just watch OGN if you want to see korean vs korean teams.

Then watch OGN.

Each country in the FIFA World Cup gets one team regardless of how deep their pool of good players is. The point of the World Cup is the international competition. You need a wider range of countries or otherwise you could just watch the local league and get the same effect. The other regions need to get better and Worlds needs to be that goal or they'll just die.

i already told you that EU, Na, China still have guaranteed spots...

we already give more to better regions. Korea is so much better they deserve more.

EU and Na can earn more spots too.

Korea doesn't deserve more specifically because they're better. These spots are supposed to be earned, not given out like candy. Increase how many teams KR gets and suddenly OGN gets sloppier because getting 3rd seed isn't as important.

All big competitive regions should get the exact same number of spots. If you want more competitive matches then these regions need to step it up, making worlds "Korea and guests" isn't the solution.

Korea doesn't deserve more specifically because they're better. These spots are supposed to be earned, not given out like candy. Increase how many teams KR gets and suddenly OGN gets sloppier because getting 3rd seed isn't as important.

All big competitive regions should get the exact same number of spots. If you want more competitive matches then these regions need to step it up, making worlds "Korea and guests" isn't the solution.

World Cup is EU and guests and nobody complains. They also don't get lazy. I dont know why they should. It's only 5 spots and Eu could get 3-4 if they dominate the wild card tournament.

zkylon

zkylewd
you'd also lower the stakes of lck a lot if like 5 teams can make it

worlds as it is right now is pretty much perfect, you're fixing what isn't broken

The truth is, if there are even more koreans at worlds. Wouldn't it get even more predictable and boring? Like "Yeah Worlds!... nah Korea will win for sure w/e".

The other regions need the world's stage for promotion and get others to try and be pro and keep thier potential players cycle fed. That is more important than more Koreans

Teka

Neo Member
What they could do, like Montecristo suggested, is insteado of giving NA and EU the status of heads group to more teams in dominat regions, AKA Korea

Leezard

What they could do, like Montecristo suggested, is insteado of giving NA and EU the status of heads group to more teams in dominat regions, AKA Korea

After this World's it would be more reasonable to revoke first seed privileges from NA and CN. EU looks like the second strongest region right now, even if Korea still is far ahead.

zkylon

zkylewd
After this World's it would be more reasonable to revoke first seed privileges from NA and CN. EU looks like the second strongest region right now, even if Korea still is far ahead.

na maybe, but china got to worlds finals two times in a row and has done well in both 2013 and 2014

they had an off year, i'm sure they'll be back full force in 2016

Is the number of games really that big of a factor? Look at China this year, or Korea prior to this year (i.e. Samsung White/Blue only played 52/55 games the whole year in OGN, granted that was a lot more Bo5s).

Is the number of games really that big of a factor? Look at China this year, or Korea prior to this year (i.e. Samsung White/Blue only played 52/55 games the whole year in OGN, granted that was a lot more Bo5s).
It makes LCS into a clownfiesta. BO1s are the reason you see shit teams like Dignitas taking first for several weeks in early splits. Less matches means less practice, less experience for teams to gain synergy with roster swaps, less reason to experiment with comps since teams only play two matches a week so they gotta make it count and so on.

actually what makes the western regions clownfiestas are the fact that they can't cultivate and maintain their talent to the extent that the eastern teams can, at least for League.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Western teams have a terrible habit of trying to look for a silver bullet rather than developing the players and building team synergy. It really comes down to management and structure if you think about it and from this standpoint Korea completely spanks NA/EU. Especially NA. We have shitty teams that don't give much chance to new bloods and when they are given a chance they dismiss them just as quickly if things go bad rather than work with them. If there is a new member from a roster it's usually from an already existing member from a different team and such so therefore we're circulating the same shitty players rather than new ones.

It's just a vicious cycle of stupid people doing stupid things. NA teams and management are super risk-averse and only care about staying in the LCS rather than actually play towards cultivating a team that will be competitive in Worlds. It's the mindset. Think of it as an employee who will take a risk and go above and beyond for that promotion versus the employee that works enough to not get fired and stay in the department forever.

According to LGD, they slacked on practice after winning LPL.

More practice is better, and practicing in a competitive scene is the best.
Koreans will literally wake up and start playing SoloQ and do nothing but eat, sleep, and League. Practice pays off, especially when Western teams are known to be less practiced than Koreans.

AcridMeat

Banned
Western teams have a terrible habit of trying to look for a silver bullet rather than developing the players and building team synergy. It really comes down to management and structure if you think about it and from this standpoint Korea completely spanks NA/EU. Especially NA. We have shitty teams that don't give much chance to new bloods and when they are given a chance they dismiss them just as quickly if things go bad rather than work with them. If there is a new member from a roster it's usually from an already existing member from a different team and such so therefore we're circulating the same shitty players rather than new ones.

It's just a vicious cycle of stupid people doing stupid things. NA teams and management are super risk-averse and only care about staying in the LCS rather than actually play towards cultivating a team that will be competitive in Worlds. It's the mindset. Think of it as an employee who will take a risk and go above and beyond for that promotion versus the employee that works enough to not get fired and stay in the department forever.
Yep. I hope YellowStar continues playing for Fnatic, because the rest is so young and they have such a good foundation with the organization. Real shame that they seemed to be completely thrown off after game 1 and just couldn't string together solid decision making after, made me sad. However, they were still hugely entertaining this year.

Also I call BS that there's ONE person who has the pick em right and they have SKT to win. That's some crazy ass shit haha

Top Bottom