• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

kuYuri

Looking for any gaffers who want to do Swamp Fever, preferably on Advanced, but willing to do Expert.

Steam ID is Strider2K99 if you want to add me.

xero273

Daigoro said:
yeah ill pick it up soon. i really wanted to upgrade my GPU before hand, but ill probably just get it soon and upgrade later. cant wait to play it on PC. the 360 version has been great though.

give me a shout it you see it on sale any time soon. ill hopefully get it before the end of the year.

http://www.amazon.com/Outlet/b?ie=UTF8&node=409566&ref_=amb_link_86246711_2

Don't know how much you are actually looking for. $30 for the PC . credit goes to slaughterX.

Strider2K99 said:
Looking for any gaffers who want to do Swamp Fever, preferably on Advanced, but willing to do Expert.

Steam ID is Strider2K99 if you want to add me.

If you still haven't done this by Friday, I can help out. steam id is an0ther.

Oh man, I was super drunk last night and jumped in by myself to a game of Scavenge and was having so much fun. Got a few achievements too like riding two survivors with one Jockey and Charging someone for a long distance.

I don't remember most of it but do remember laughing my ass off. I think Scavenge is my new favorite mode.

After last nights runs of Dark Carnival and Parish, I now see the glory that is the AK. That thing is like a fully automatic Magnum.

Good friggin' times.

My current loadout favorites are:

Fire-Axe or Magnum (and adrenaline) + Shotgun or AK (and peels)

I've not been keeping up with this game that much but has Valve said anything about improving the 360 netcode? I've still yet to play a VS match :(

Volcynika

robut said:
I've not been keeping up with this game that much but has Valve said anything about improving the 360 netcode? I've still yet to play a VS match :(

They put out a patch a week or two ago, and I've heard positive impressions that it's been noticeably improved.

NullPointer said:
After last nights runs of Dark Carnival and Parish, I now see the glory that is the AK. That thing is like a fully automatic Magnum.

I've noticed that most people go straight for AK + laser sight in the gun store on Dead Center.

Shoogoo

robut said:

Where are you from? And most importantly, is your liveID's adress the same as your real adress?

Some guy in my friend list pretends having both the same solved his lags issues, didn't test it myself.

So maybe I'm just using them wrong, but the special ammo doesn't seem like so much of a buff.

Incendiary against a horde of common infected just ends up making the scene more chaotic, and everything is harder to see. Explosive also seems like overkill. So I just end up saving them for specials ONLY, and relying upon my secondary against common infected. Even then though, incendiary doesn't drop seem to drop a special quick enough to make it worth its health pack slot. Laser sights the only one that's beneficial in all circumstances imo.

Am I just using them for the wrong situations? How do the veteran zombie slayers here put them to best use?

NullPointer said:
So maybe I'm just using them wrong, but the special ammo doesn't seem like so much of a buff.

Incendiary against a horde of common infected just ends up making the scene more chaotic, and everything is harder to see. Explosive also seems like overkill. So I just end up saving them for specials ONLY, and relying upon my secondary against common infected. Even then though, incendiary doesn't drop seem to drop a special quick enough to make it worth its health pack slot. Laser sights the only one that's beneficial in all circumstances imo.

Am I just using them for the wrong situations? How do the veteran zombie slayers here put them to best use?
I believe incinderary is for dealing extra damage against SI, and explosive deals with larger crows and stumbles most SI (I'm not sure if it does any extra damage against them, I'd assume so though). TBH I think the ammo packs are unnecessary - and they were implemented just to be another feature on the box to fend of boycotters.

Sibylus

Banned
Both ammo upgrades are great against active and passive hordes. One shot with any weapon with the ammo should always kill a single common, so even if your view is full of fire/gibs you're still killing almost all of the zombies that are running at you. I've your full on kits, deploy the stuff and pick your kit back up. That extra ammo will come in handy if you encounter a horde or SI.

@darkpaladin: How do you figure that? The feature was put into the game and adjusted/changed over the course of development like any other feature (They started out as stationary variants of the ammo piles, but were gradually developed into the ones we have now). It wasn't a feature stuck into the game late to pad out the bullet list of stuff.

Botolf said:
... One shot with any weapon with the ammo should always kill a single common, so even if your view is full of fire/gibs you're still killing almost all of the zombies that are running at you.
With my setup I'm already used to taking out commons with one shot (Melee, Magnum, AK), so it seems like overkill to light them on fire as well. And as far as specials go, I do notice the damage difference with explosive ammo, but not really for incendiary.

Sibylus

Banned
NullPointer said:
With my setup I'm already used to taking out commons with one shot (Melee, Magnum, AK), so it seems like overkill to light them on fire as well. And as far as specials go, I do notice the damage difference with explosive ammo, but not really for incendiary.
The shotguns and melee weapons get plenty of play too, so it's not like you're constantly carrying a weapon that can kill in one shot at range. I might carry an AK one map, a Shotgun the next, a Magnum here, an axe there, the special ammo basically enables me to be lethal to commons no matter what I'm carrying or how far they are away.

Incendiary rounds on a Smoker has saved me a few times when I get pulled. Frag rounds are really useful against Chargers, Jockeys, etc. I'm not entirely sure, but I think they slightly slow down Tanks as well.

Edit: I should also mention that the special ammo makes the T1 weapons a LOT more lethal.

Botolf said:
The shotguns and melee weapons get plenty of play too, so it's not like you're constantly carrying a weapon that can kill in one shot at range. I might carry an AK one map, a Shotgun the next, a Magnum here, an axe there, the special ammo basically enables me to be lethal to commons no matter what I'm carrying or how far they are away.

Incendiary rounds on a Smoker has saved me a few times when I get pulled. Frag rounds are really useful against Chargers, Jockeys, etc. I'm not entirely sure, but I think they slightly slow down Tanks as well.
Frag rounds decimate tanks. Frags are also fantastic for witches. They can be annoying if they stumble your target out of your line of sight, though.

Daigoro

YES!

awesome morning on L4D2 for me today.

i hopped on and joined a random expert Parish room. it was all Japanese no mic-ers. ( figured i would take a chance and see how it went. all was pretty good until the 3rd level when the host quit or was d/c and the game booted us to the lobby.

so i made my own room and some randoms joined. finally a competent party! we cruised through the first two levels and had to restart about one time a piece for 3 and 4. made it to the finale and started trying out different strategies. after some trial and error we came up with a decent plan.

i was so worried that i was going to be one of the lucky ones left behind, i was sweating and nervous. :lol people started to get a little cranky after a good bunch of tries. i tried to keep everyone motivated and upbeat about finishing.

the plan was solid and 3 of us finally made it to the chopper! whoo! Something Left To Prove done (no shortcuts or glitches).

only The Real Deal left to earn. that should keep me busy for the next 4 days or so. (all Avatar Awards already unlocked. i hate avatars, but i love my Bullshifters shirt!)

xero273 said:
http://www.amazon.com/Outlet/b?ie=UTF8&node=409566&ref_=amb_link_86246711_2

Don't know how much you are actually looking for. $30 for the PC . credit goes to slaughterX.

thanks for the heads up. dont get paid till next week though. :(

Shoogoo said:
Where are you from? And most importantly, is your liveID's adress the same as your real adress?

Some guy in my friend list pretends having both the same solved his lags issues, didn't test it myself.

poppycock.

the servers are much better though. Dedicated servers only for me now.

_

SO! Swamp Fever is full of shortcuts huh?

after my Parish run, i helped the same team run through Swamp on expert. apparently there is a shortcut on every single level? :eek: didnt know about most of them until today.

first level is the pipe bomb/air walk trick over the water where you have to call the little barge thing to bring you across. no infected spawn after you do the trick.

second level is jumping up on the airplane and avoid having to open the door.

third level is the walk the plank up to the roof shortcut, making the horde easier to deal with.

and none of us knew this before hand, but the finale has a huge glitch. (not that its not easy enough doing it regular). not exactly sure how to activate it, but we were able to duplicate the trick twice in a row.

what we did as far as i can tell: i was the one to activate the first radio call. then we scavenged around for goods and one guy showed us the hedge trick (jump up on a hedge to the right of the house). i was up there with 2 others and the fourth was the one to activate the final call. immediately a tank spawned and the boat arrived.

we were too shocked and confused to beat it the first time, but the second time we were able to get the glitch to work again, boomer-biled the tank and took a leisurely jog to the boat.

i assume these are the same on PC? have you guys seen all of these yet? has this been patched yet? any other fun shortcuts on other levels? (i haven't seen any besides Swamp that i can think of).

cant wait to get the PC ver now. soon...

xero273

I read about another one for swamp fever finale. It is kind of like the one you did. I think it went something like someone goes fall off the ledge and hangs there. Another person goes call for help, then someone switches to take a break and the whole team gets teleported back to the safe room. All zombies and SI disappear from the map. So when you get back to rescue, just throw bile to distract zombies and run for boat. Zombies and tank reappear when boat comes though.

Daigoro

xero273 said:
I read about another one for swamp fever finale. It is kind of like the one you did. I think it went something like someone goes fall off the ledge and hangs there. Another person goes call for help, then someone switches to take a break and the whole team gets teleported back to the safe room. All zombies and SI disappear from the map. So when you get back to rescue, just throw bile to distract zombies and run for boat. Zombies and tank reappear when boat comes though.

hm. interesting. wonder if they are related or totally different glitches?

Red Scarlet said:
Have not heard of the SF1 and 2 things, have done 3's, have not heard of 4's.

hm. you guys on the PC can do the pipe bomb/air walk glitch though right? or was it patched maybe? if you can do that, you simply air walk to the other side of the river, have someone press the button to call the barge thingy and dont press the button to get the barge going back across. the people either have to cross the river by air walk, or die and respawn, etc. as long as you dont send the boat back over, nothing spawns on the other side at all. clear all the way to the safe room.

the airplane shortcut is very easy. might be easier to see it in person though. just hop the game inside the plane, jumping over onto some seats towards the tail of the plane. once there, look UP, jump and you wind up on top of the plane, continue as normal. easiest jumping shortcut yet.

as for the finale, no one knew about it before hand. it was a complete accident, but seemed pretty reliable. maybe we discovered it?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I haven't played anyone from GAF, nor played through a campaign yet in one sitting :(

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
man I'm itching for a crack at an expert campaign now...

how hard is it? I'm reasonably decent, but tend to find it difficult if I get boomed and i'm on my own, seems like that would be fatal on expert.

Red Scarlet

catfish said:
man I'm itching for a crack at an expert campaign now...

how hard is it? I'm reasonably decent, but tend to find it difficult if I get boomed and i'm on my own, seems like that would be fatal on expert.

It's pretty hard when you first get into it. Common infected do 20 damage a hit (front; 10 from sides/behind), and the SI do more damage (a Hunter can kill you about 5? sec after incap, a Smoker I think does 30 damage in the intervals), witches kill in 1 hit, Tanks incap in 1 hit (99% of the time; sometimes they leave you with <5HP, but that's very rare).

I'd play with you sometime but I don't think you enjoy having a high ping with folks from the US (which would make trying out expert harder..but Pop was pro and he joined from the Philippines).

gl

Red Scarlet said:
It's pretty hard when you first get into it. Common infected do 20 damage a hit (front; 10 from sides/behind), and the SI do more damage (a Hunter can kill you about 5? sec after incap, a Smoker I think does 30 damage in the intervals), witches kill in 1 hit, Tanks incap in 1 hit (99% of the time; sometimes they leave you with <5HP, but that's very rare).

I'd play with you sometime but I don't think you enjoy having a high ping with folks from the US (which would make trying out expert harder..but Pop was pro and he joined from the Philippines).

gl
Does Pop play L4D2 now?

Daigoro

Red Scarlet said:
I've only seen a video of the propane airwalk on survival, never heard of a pipe bomb one.

I'll try the plane.

same deal. any explosion will do apparently.

Red Scarlet said:
He played it for a couple days around Thanksgiving, then went back to SF4.

thats annoying.

K' Dash

VOOK said:
I haven't played anyone from GAF, nor played through a campaign yet in one sitting :(

Same here, I've been playing a lot of Spec Ops and ACII lately though, and it frutrates me not to find decent parties and repeat several times the same shit.

Falt

Shoogoo said:
Good game indeed. I know how you feel, I don't play with randoms no more myself. You have regulars to play with?

Yeah, I have quite a few (real life) friends who play but they're still getting to grips with L4D2, they're not exactly hardcore so versus is hit and miss depending on who we come up against. We've been struggling on advanced :|

That said, I do play with some regulars that I picked up from L4D/L4D2 who are solid, know the game and just good fun in general to play with.

Always up for games though, depending on what I'm up to. Shoot me an invite when ever.

I've yet to play on expert or realism too :/ itching to play with a decent team.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i wanna try expert, but that fucking mall with the fire alarm is crazy hard.

Shoogoo

Falt said:
Always up for games though, depending on what I'm up to. Shoot me an invite when ever.

I've yet to play on expert or realism too :/ itching to play with a decent team.

Cool! I'll send you invites even if you're in a game tho, if you can't/don't want to come just ignore it.

As for expert/realism, my guys and myself aren't much into it.

xero273

catfish said:
i wanna try expert, but that fucking mall with the fire alarm is crazy hard.

that is probably what you'll spend most of your time doing on dead center.. You'll probably have 3 or 4 wipes before you actually get past that with a decent team.

daw840

Just got this game last night and played a little bit. I have only played the Mall level, but fuck this is hard using the damn CPU as your team mates. I will say they are unapologetically stupid. I couldnt even make it up to disable the alarm. Fuck.

Red Scarlet

I'm tempted to try..I got to level 4 of Dark Carnival by myself. Maybe I can compete with Shake for a faster time. .SPEED RUNNING LIVES ON

Red Scarlet

Hey sorry I'm not on, I'm hanging out with some school friends till Sunday, so I can't help people get campaign stuff or get pissed off and fake rage after the game ends on VS (it counts when I leave, so I'm not trying to "preserve" my BS vs stats).

Are people hacking on the 360 version now or something? I joined a random Versus game and immediately had to help someone being Smoker'd. When I attacked it would release them, but wouldn't die =/ They just crouched as they recharged to keep doing it...and trust me, I shot it many, many times.

I didn't stick around.

Also, I'm pretty sure I went against some L4D experts in Versus or something because my team was doing horribly. We thought they may have been cheating because they ALWAYS knew where we were spawning and would kill us almost instantly...but looking at their teamwork and tactics made me (at least) think otherwise. They were good--to the point that none of us wanted to bother doing the final chapter (Dark Carnival)...but we didn't want to be ragequitters and did our best.

Zzoram said:
How is this possible? I know it's impossible on 360, but it feels impossible even on PC so I'm confused.
It was the 360 version I did it on. Playing a lot less PC since the weird framerate bug arrived, although playing it in windowed (at native res, with no border) seems to have fixed that.

First level isn't problematic. Second level is fine provided you have a molotov for the tank and a pipe/bile bomb for the cola. Third level is an unrepentant bitch: you have to get a favourable tank spawn (i.e. before the no-return broken door), and hope to get the upstairs (glass window) event. I tried various approaches over ~10 restarts, from speedrunning like hell to creeping slowly, and in the end it was a combination (speedrunning boring early sections, slowing down for tank, going quite slowly through the event to keep the bots close, and then speeding up until the very end when I was too hurt to take risks). Finale is a breeze (only needed 8 cans?!), and I did it on the first attempt by running around the upper levels with the bots, tossing ~5 cans down before pouring, and grabbing the remainder off the ground floor. The tank is the only real danger, and mine went down quickly.

I suspect Dead Center is one of the easiest Expert campaigns, and I'm not sure I could repeat the trick on, say, Dark Carnival or Swamp Fever (at least three tanks on the finale!), although I know people who've done Hard Rain/The Parish, albeit over the course of an afternoon.

Also: adrenaline is your best friend when soloing.

Volcynika

Red Scarlet said:
Hey sorry I'm not on, I'm hanging out with some school friends till Sunday, so I can't help people get campaign stuff or get pissed off and fake rage after the game ends on VS (it counts when I leave, so I'm not trying to "preserve" my BS vs stats).

Lame!

Top Bottom