• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Twig

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
? Isn't that why so many folks use that ventrillo thing instead of in-game voice?
No, they use Ventrilo because in-game voice chat "sucks" or some shit.

Ventrilo, AFAIK, does not facilitate voice-only-headset-audio.

xero273

TheOneGuy said:
No, they use Ventrilo because in-game voice chat "sucks" or some shit.

Ventrilo, AFAIK, does not facilitate voice-only-headset-audio.

Didn't know that. I always thought programs like vent did voice only headset audio.

There is a way to do voice only headset audio in L4D2, but it requires you to have two soundcards.

Nabs

Teknoman said:
Eh I dont see why you wouldnt use in game voice chat unless... you just want to talk to others while playing something else.

in game doesn't work well for everyone. having a dedicated voice server also helps w/ voice lag. quality is also improved w/ vent or mumble.

Twig

Banned
Nabs said:
in game doesn't work well for everyone. having a dedicated voice server also helps w/ voice lag. quality is also improved w/ vent or mumble.
Yeah, this is most certainly true.

But IMO the hassle's just not worth it most of the time. Source games have always had adequate voice quality for me. Better than just about every other game I've played with in-game voice chat.

vertopci

You can output voices to a headset and the game sounds thru the speakers with ventrilo. Don't know why the fuck you would want to have a headset on while also having your speakers on. Seems stupid as shit to me.

TheOneGuy said:
Yeah, this is most certainly true.

But IMO the hassle's just not worth it most of the time. Source games have always had adequate voice quality for me. Better than just about every other game I've played with in-game voice chat.

What hassle? You start up ventrilo, click the connect button and you're good to go :/

Teknoman

vazel said:
I do notice the voice lag but I've had no issues with audio quality aside from some people using shitty mikes.

Same here. Most of the PC games i've played with mic users come through clear as a bell...unless they have their mic too close/turned down.

xero273

noob question here. In the Parish, the stage with the impound lot, near the beginning there is a car behind the bus. How do you hit the car over the bus as a tank? I did it during a vs match just now, but I didn't know what I was doing.

Twig

Banned
vertopci said:
Says the dude who thinks double clicking an icon, then clicking a button is too much of a hassle :lol
god you're so stupid sometimes

ps in case you forgot http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1C1GGLS_enUS359US359&q=define:lazy&btnG=Search i think that's more in line with my position

pps god you're so stupid sometimes, and i mean as if you've got this brick for a brain, as in you're completely and totally shit-for-brains, as in good god it's incredible, i am impressed, really, i am

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You are too lazy to start up Ventrilo, which takes seconds, yet you put all this effort into calling people stupid over and over again on a forum because they don't understand how lazy you are. Do I have that right?

Twig

Banned
Stallion Free said:
You are too lazy to start up Ventrilo, which takes seconds, yet you put all this effort into calling people stupid over and over again on a forum because they don't understand how lazy you are. Do I have that right?
That about sums it up.

Are you trying to tell me I'm doing it wrong? Because that wouldn't make any sense.

banana riders, CHARGE

vertopci

Poor little twig.

GGs tonight. Except for the part where everyone on my team failed on infected :lol For that I blame the director being biased against us or something!

Red Scarlet

I don't know how I survived DA2..I was b&w from the start of the crane event all through the end. Hope I did ok for my first time playing frusmod. I didn't dead stop anything though. Con is still OoC too.

Red Scarlet said:
I don't know how I survived DA2..I was b&w from the start of the crane event all through the end. Hope I did ok for my first time playing frusmod. I didn't dead stop anything though. Con is still OoC too.
You did fine, better than some people I might say!(Jenga)

I just had the craziest night playing l4d2 apparently the l4d2 community at 4am is both dead and lively. It included an emo kid, a girl who wanted penis, and at one point a chinese kid breathing heavily into the mic while stomping on the survivors as tank.

I just played through Hard Rain for the first time and to me it's the perfect example of Valve being absolutely top of the class in terms of level design. Usually backtracking is absolutely horrible in games, but the impact of the storm changing the surroundings didn't make me question that choice for a second. I loved the emphasis on Witches, too - usually they're easily avoided without much thought, but sneaking past them in that level is very tense. Especially in the field with the long grass where you're vulnerable for 360 degrees.

I'm sure it's all been said before, but yeah.

Although, due to the nature of my piss poor rig, my settings are so low I could only HEAR the rain - not once did I see a single drop. :(

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Question - Can you make it so that you dont have to hold the crouch button to stay crouched? On the 360 you could toggle and I liked it a lot better. Playing Jockey and Hunter is maddening.

syllogism

HK-47 said:
Question - Can you make it so that you dont have to hold the crouch button to stay crouched? On the 360 you could toggle and I liked it a lot better. Playing Jockey and Hunter is maddening.
bind <key> “toggle_duck”

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
HK-47 said:
Playing Jockey and Hunter is maddening.

I don't think I will ever get decent at Jockey as the leap trajectory just confuses the shit out of me. They definitely made some changes to the hunter pounce as well as I have come up short on pounces that I would have made in L4D1.

Raydeen

So a couple of months after release.

How are we calling multiplayer?

I've gone back to L4D. L4D2 just doesn't do it for me. The new SI are just an annoying contrivence apart from the Spitter who does her job perfectly. Levels regarding MP are also a bit boring, none of the fun of the first one. I just prefer ones with a vertical slant - more scope for intresting takedowns that you just don't get with no.2.

123rl

I love playing as the Charger but the Spitter is my close second choice. The game is all about the Spitter and Charger now. Everyone just wants to play as one of those two :D But the great thing about the game is that it's so heavily focused on teams. A good Spitter is useless if it's working with a crappy Hunter or Smoker. Yet a decent spit on a Survivor who has just been pounced can do a lot of damage and delay a rescue unless someone else wants to get hurt. Hunters and Smokers are usually the first wave attackers, and the Jockey/Charger come in afterwards to attack the people rescuing the first Survivor(s) who were attacked. The Boomer/Spitter are the big "oh fuck" attackers who just ruin any chance of escaping by attacking vulnerable/helpless Survivors when they're about to be overwhelmed

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
They really oughta buff up the jockey. a jockey by himself wailing on somebody for like, 30 seconds doesn't even kill them, that's crazy.

vazel

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
They really oughta buff up the jockey. a jockey by himself wailing on somebody for like, 30 seconds doesn't even kill them, that's crazy.
Yea not only is it a bitch to jump on someone but it takes way too long to do any meaningful damage.

daw840

vazel said:
Yea not only is it a bitch to jump on someone but it takes way too long to do any meaningful damage.

Yeah, but leading the survivor into a pool of acid is GLORIOUS!

Or off the edge of the map, lol.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
daw840 said:
Yeah, but leading the survivor into a pool of acid is GLORIOUS!

Or off the edge of the map, lol.
Jockey should be like a charger and be able to run someone completely off the edge.

And why is that not a medal?! Charging someone off the edge should be a goal in everyone's life.

Sorry 'bout ditching last night, Vert & co. Playing against a well-oiled team with people whose capabilities and styles you're unaware of is just overkill, though. On the plus side, I got 8 hours of sleep for work today. :lol

L4D2 versus/scavenge has been wearing on me, though. Just so frustrating, might need a hiatus from the game.

Cynar

SpeedingUptoStop said:

I don't think you understand the point of the jockey then.

Flek

Banned
just ordered it for 360 (got it cheap) but yeha please tell me about the 360 version.

Are there many peoble playing it?
How are the controls / graphics?

ive heard l4d 1 had some problems @ 360 ?

Aselith

Flek said:
just ordered it for 360 (got it cheap) but yeha please tell me about the 360 version.

Are there many peoble playing it?
How are the controls / graphics?

ive heard l4d 1 had some problems @ 360 ?

What were the problems you heard it had?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
SpeedingUptoStop said:

The jockey isn't really there to incap, just to delay and annoy the survivors(by taking them backwards). And I actually think he does more damage than the smoker, who also needs a ton of time to actually incap.

Top Bottom