• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

xero273

Flek said:
controls or something like this

I think that is typical for any PC fps to console fps port (IMO). There is no problem with the 360 version. If you played a lot of fps on the 360 then you should be use to it.

Papercuts said:
The jockey isn't really there to incap, just to delay and annoy the survivors(by taking them backwards). And I actually think he does more damage than the smoker, who also needs a ton of time to actually incap.

This. He's also a good initiator too... makes a lot of teams scramble. He's just not great alone.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I would put jockey down as a follow-up SI. The most effective uses I have seen for him are hiding near the smoker so that he can ambush the person coming to resuce the smoked survivor, similar to the hunter in L4D1. It works awesome of the team splits up into pairs... which teams seem to do somewhat often in our nightly matches.

I like to start attacks as a Jockey. If they're close together you can pounce on a survivor, stagger them all (which is like a good 2 or 3 seconds), have the boomer spawn and barf on them while staggered, and so on and so forth.

Firestorm

Stallion Free said:
I would put jockey down as a follow-up SI. The most effective uses I have seen for him are hiding near the smoker so that he can ambush the person coming to resuce the smoked survivor, similar to the hunter in L4D1. It works awesome of the team splits up into pairs... which teams seem to do somewhat often in our nightly matches.
I suck as Jockey but I try to aim at the person who didn't get boomed after a boomer attack.

Red Scarlet

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Jockey should be like a charger and be able to run someone completely off the edge.

And why is that not a medal?! Charging someone off the edge should be a goal in everyone's life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSApO_TuZuE

What I do is leap on them when I am right up to them, like in claw range. That's if I am at the same height as them.

Papercuts said:
The jockey isn't really there to incap, just to delay and annoy the survivors(by taking them backwards). And I actually think he does more damage than the smoker, who also needs a ton of time to actually incap.

During their main attack, Jockeys do 3 dmg a hit while the Smoker does 5. For raw damage, the Jockey doesn't do a lot, but on the flip side of that, since it does less damage per hit, it has the capability of sending a survivor that much farther back since it takes longer to incap them.

I have to agree that the Spitter is by far the best of the new Infected and I had a blast playing around with tactics tonight. My favourite moment on Hard Rain was waiting until all four survivors got into the lift, then unleashing the spit and seeing my combo reach the 50s before they reached the top. :D

EdgecrusherLSU

Neo Member
I love this game, but I get horrendous lag in every online match, am I alone? Also, is the dedicated server thing a load of BS? I was made the leader in between matches and suddenly I have 3 green bars and everyone else had 1 red, leading me to believe it was using my backwater connection as the host.

xero273

EdgecrusherLSU said:
I love this game, but I get horrendous lag in every online match, am I alone? Also, is the dedicated server thing a load of BS? I was made the leader in between matches and suddenly I have 3 green bars and everyone else had 1 red, leading me to believe it was using my backwater connection as the host.

That last bit sounds like it was set to local. If the game can't find dedicated server, it will automatically do local server. Which version are you playing? Both 360 and PC, I get yellow bars. For PC, I usually get 100 ping or less.

EdgecrusherLSU

Neo Member
xero273 said:
That last bit sounds like it was set to local. If the game can't find dedicated server, it will automatically do local server. Which version are you playing? Both 360 and PC, I get yellow bars. For PC, I usually get 100 ping or less.

360 version. Played a dozen or so games and have yet to get over 1 red bar, dunno if it is my connection or what, every other online game I play seems to work fine.

Daigoro

i think all of the new SI are really fun to play as.

i really like the Jockey. its so fun to drag a lone survivor away... far far away.

that reminds me, why didnt they make a Realism VS. mode? that wouldve been all kinds of awesome.

When L4D1 was released, I was stuck playing Co-op for the first 3-4 months, so missed out on all the initial VS aggravation/exploitation. How much were the VS maps tweaked during this time? Were there any changes at all? I ask since Dark Carnival 5 is in dire need of some TLC and I don't have much faith in it ever being fixed.

Daigoro said:
i think all of the new SI are really fun to play as.

i really like the Jockey. its so fun to drag a lone survivor away... far far away.

that reminds me, why didnt they make a Realism VS. mode? that wouldve been all kinds of awesome.
And a Survival VS mode. I'd never stop playing that.

sgnhh

Neo Member
Nothing is worse than people that rage quit co-op at the finale. Seriously. Swamp Fever isn't even that hard. :/

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Jockey should be like a charger and be able to run someone completely off the edge.

And why is that not a medal?! Charging someone off the edge should be a goal in everyone's life.

Having two infect be able to instakill would be unfair IMO. Also you can run them off with a jockey, if you run them over someone already hanging on the edge.

see5harp

Just unlocked the Depeche Mode t-shirt. Really glad a third party company decided to support the feature. If anyone is down to try some of the campaigns on expert, or play in general, please add me. GT: see5harp.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I can't stop playing scavenge on dead center? is that bad?

I just love how the level works.

Spitting the cans as they land on the ground
Pouncing from the roof to a guy filling for 25 insta damage (can land it everytime now)
muggings at the top of the stairs, running up the stairs and throwing a molotov up there before going up, shooting the spitter from the ground because you KNOW he's gonna be on the roof somewhere.

and so on.

I like the mill level a fair bit as well, but just love dead center.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
catfish said:
I can't stop playing scavenge on dead center? is that bad?

I just love how the level works.

Spitting the cans as they land on the ground
Pouncing from the roof to a guy filling for 25 insta damage (can land it everytime now)
muggings at the top of the stairs, running up the stairs and throwing a molotov up there before going up, shooting the spitter from the ground because you KNOW he's gonna be on the roof somewhere.

and so on.

I like the mill level a fair bit as well, but just love dead center.

When our VS group does Scavenge we tend to play that map fairly often as well and I definitely like it the best for all the reasons you listed and how vertical the spaces is (leads to a lot of people knocked off or hanging from ledges).

Nabs

i recommend you all find a server that gives you the ability to switch infected. we now play gaf games on one (verts server) and it is such a blast. you can't hog any one character, but you get a chance to replace a crappy one with a not so crappy one!

Nabs said:
i recommend you all find a server that gives you the ability to switch infected. we now play gaf games on one (verts server) and it is such a blast. you can't hog any one character, but you get a chance to replace a crappy one with a not so crappy one!

Is there some kind of safety in place so the infected can't pick charger/smoker/hunter/jockey? Because there are plenty of really good teams who would do that and win on their first spawn 90% of the time.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
wayward archer said:
Is there some kind of safety in place so the infected can't pick charger/smoker/hunter/jockey? Because there are plenty of really good teams who would do that and win on their first spawn 90% of the time.

yeah that can really be unfair. If you get that combo, you really can kill the people.

2 up 2 down can go hilariously wrong for a non prepared side in the Dead center map as well.

A charger/jockey combo at the top.... I love the jockey on dead center by the stairs, there's that little gap where you can insta-incap someone, run back up the stairs and wait for his rescuer to run up, then do the same thing with him.

vertopci

wayward archer said:

That combo really isn't as great as it seems. It seems really good due to being a quad cap, but you are far better off having a boomer or spitter.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
vertopci said:
That combo really isn't as great as it seems. It seems really good due to being a quad cap, but you are far better off having a boomer or spitter.

a boomer sux soo bad if anyone has a pipe though. soo many times I've got a boom on 3 people and no damage due to a well timed pipe.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
catfish said:
a boomer sux soo bad if anyone has a pipe though. soo many times I've got a boom on 3 people and no damage due to a well timed pipe.

Maybe, but you also made them use their pipe, and the blindness seems to cause more problems then the horde does in my experience.

Nabs

catfish said:

if you're the first or second to attack, a good boom could lead to a good charge / spit.

Threi

notag
got it today for 360 ($39.99 @ FutureShop)

goddamn this game is fun, versus is awesome.

Personally I think jockeys are most effective during ambushes, especially if they pounce on the best gunman of the team. Really fucks them up. Smokers seem to work before an ambush, where you just get the person in the back, when the teammates turn around to see wtf is going on you send out the other special infected.

But i dunno thats from 1 day of playing versus :lol

MNC

Daigoro said:
heinsmit
Banned
(Today, 06:23 PM)
Reply | Quote

that answer your question?
What'd he get banned for?

Also, for Parish 5:

As they move along, the military will bomb parts of the bridge behind them, so that there is no going back.

Does this happen?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
how do I view DEM files that other people record?

MNC

catfish said:
Put them in your l4d2 folder (the first or the second folder, I dunno) , get ingame, hit 'playdemo <demoname>' in console.

Red Scarlet

catfish said:

Paste them here: steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2

Then start the game up, and at the main menu, open the console and type "playdemo blahblah", whatever it's called.

If the demo is from an older build of the game, you can usually play it again if you see what version (right now I think it's 2.0.0.7, so say you had a demo that is from build 2.0.0.5) the game tells you it is, then exiting the game. In that steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2 folder there is a file called "steam.inf". Open it, and change PatchVersion=2.0.0.7 to what the demo error said (2.0.0.5 in the above example), then try running the demo again. I've been able to watch day 1 demos a week ago with that method.

Once the demo is playing, you can type "demoui" to pause, fast forward, and seek to a specific starting point on the demo.

I've stopped playing on PC because I still have that framerate problem. It's pretty sad: I logged ~50 hours on PC in the first week or so it came out (when I didn't have the issue for some reason, and I figured I'd rarely play the 360 version, if at all), and about 5 since then. I think one of the patches must have introduced it.

And I pretty much did do it akimbo assassin, if you count the magnum as "pistols only". :lol

Also, does anyone else feel the jockey deadstop is completely broken? I've sort of worked out the timing now, but it still feels completely counter-intuitive compared to the hunter stop.
HK-47 said:
Question - Can you make it so that you dont have to hold the crouch button to stay crouched? On the 360 you could toggle and I liked it a lot better. Playing Jockey and Hunter is maddening.
One of the custom configs has a handy thing where you double-tap a button to toggle crouching or walking, or otherwise hold.

Red Scarlet

Shake Appeal said:
I've stopped playing on PC because I still have that framerate problem. It's pretty sad: I logged ~50 hours on PC in the first week or so it came out (when I didn't have the issue for some reason, and I figured I'd rarely play the 360 version, if at all), and about 5 since then. I think one of the patches must have introduced it.

And I pretty much did do it akimbo assassin, if you count the magnum as "pistols only". :lol

Wonder if it is the opposite issue I had..when the game first came out, my game would stutter really bad during a Tank, but then a fix came out during about the 2nd patch. What is the framerate problem you have? Don't say "I am getting 55FPS it sux".

No, magnum does not count!

The game starts out at my usual framerate of ~45-55 (native res, everything on high, v-sync, multicore, antialiasing OFF). Everything plays fine for one, sometimes two, sometimes three maps.

Then at some point during the game it's like a switch has been flipped and my framerate drops to 15 fps and locks there, even if I alt-tab out and in again, change the settings/resolution, whatever. It's always 15 fps, and sometimes 10 during busy scenes. I then have to restart my computer to fix this (if I just quit the game and go back in, it will still be 15 fps).

I think it's the same bug (or a related bug) that this thread discusses:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004211

Raydeen

daw840 said:
Yeah, but leading the survivor into a pool of acid is GLORIOUS!

Or off the edge of the map, lol.

Well that's the problem I have with L4D2 - the choice of maps is retarted giving the qualities of the special infected. Apart from the initial Dead Centre map and the bridge at the end of the Parish, there's almost no points in which to make characteres walk off the edge or charge them to oblivion (which are the two plays that really intrested me in those characters when they were announced). Try playing the remakes of No Mercy with the Charger or Jocky - they really come into their own, they were made for the vertical orientated maps, not the bland horizontal axis that the most of L4D2 takes place on.

Top Bottom