• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

vertopci

Shake Appeal said:
The game starts out at my usual framerate of ~45-55 (native res, everything on high, v-sync, multicore, antialiasing OFF). Everything plays fine for one, sometimes two, sometimes three maps.

Then at some point during the game it's like a switch has been flipped and my framerate drops to 15 fps and locks there, even if I alt-tab out and in again, change the settings/resolution, whatever. It's always 15 fps, and sometimes 10 during busy scenes. I then have to restart my computer to fix this (if I just quit the game and go back in, it will still be 15 fps).

I think it's the same bug (or a related bug) that this thread discusses:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004211

I had a similar problem. For me, it was due to the graphics card overheating which is strange since graphically superior games don't overheat my card but L4D does :lol

Raydeen said:
Well that's the problem I have with L4D2 - the choice of maps is retarted giving the qualities of the special infected. Apart from the initial Dead Centre map and the bridge at the end of the Parish, there's almost no points in which to make characteres walk off the edge or charge them to oblivion (which are the two plays that really intrested me in those characters when they were announced). Try playing the remakes of No Mercy with the Charger or Jocky - they really come into their own, they were made for the vertical orientated maps, not the bland horizontal axis that the most of L4D2 takes place on.

An insta-death during the classic roof ambush on no mercy 5 seems nearly unavoidable if you have a halfway decent charger player up at the time.

AzureNightmareXE said:
I just bought Left 4 Dead 2 and I need people to play with so please add me. My steam user name is azurenightmarex1 .
Yeah, I just got it as well and would like to get a few people on my Steam friends list to have for some campaign runs before I jump into Versus.

I'll add you and some others from the online thread later on tonight.

I played Dark Carnival for the first time tonight and WOW. The finale was probably one of the most awesome things I have ever played... ever.

I was a bit cautious about getting L4D2 since I only just bought the original a month ago but this campaign just wowed me like I have never been wowed. I don't know if I'll be able to go back.

Also, is it just me or is normal in L4D2 harder than the original? I had three groups of people with me during the finale and we couldn't finish it. Once they all left I switched it to easy (which was quite easy as advertised) so I could finally see the end.

One more thing, the body count in this is ridiculous 1.4k on my own(granted I died about 5 times). That was like the total count in L4D campaigns.

I'm going to take a cold shower now :lol

Daigoro

Shake Appeal said:
Finally solo'd The Real Deal.

I never want to play that Mall level again.

hah. im assuming you didnt do this one in under 2 hrs? :lol

why torture yourself doing all of this solo, or is that the point?

Shake Appeal said:
Also, does anyone else feel the jockey deadstop is completely broken? I've sort of worked out the timing now, but it still feels completely counter-intuitive compared to the hunter stop.

yes! cant stand it. i havent figured it out at all yet...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Daigoro said:
hah. im assuming you didnt do this one in under 2 hrs? :lol

why torture yourself doing all of this solo, or is that the point?

yes! cant stand it. i havent figured it out at all yet...

Solo does have the advantage of only needing 8 gas cans.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
toasty_T said:
I played Dark Carnival for the first time tonight and WOW. The finale was probably one of the most awesome things I have ever played... ever.

I was a bit cautious about getting L4D2 since I only just bought the original a month ago but this campaign just wowed me like I have never been wowed. I don't know if I'll be able to go back.

Also, is it just me or is normal in L4D2 harder than the original? I had three groups of people with me during the finale and we couldn't finish it. Once they all left I switched it to easy (which was quite easy as advertised) so I could finally see the end.

One more thing, the body count in this is ridiculous 1.4k on my own(granted I died about 5 times). That was like the total count in L4D campaigns.

I'm going to take a cold shower now :lol

The new SI, the melee limit, more zombies in general, the fact that the tank only incaps instead of stand over someone while the team wails on him...yeah its harder.

After playing the Bridge several times on VS it seems to me that the survivors will never win unless they are immensely skilled and have the great luck of having retarded infected. I mean, on the regular campaign

With that said, I love being a Charger and ramming all four survivors as they run down the walkway on the side of the bridge. :D

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I really like the rock concert finale, if only because I can fuck bitches up on the regular with the grenade launcher. Teammates be damned, I'm raining hellfire with this mo fuggin grenade launcher.

Sanjay

vertopci said:
I had a similar problem. For me, it was due to the graphics card overheating which is strange since graphically superior games don't overheat my card but L4D does :lol

L4D used to lock/crash my PC up too, had to play in window mode with medium settings which fixed it, no problems with L4D 2.

Shoogoo

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I really like the rock concert finale, if only because I can fuck bitches up on the regular with the grenade launcher. Teammates be damned, I'm raining hellfire with this mo fuggin grenade launcher.

coachphoto.png

"Goddamn, grenade launcher!"

SpeedingUptoStop

The Charger gets caught on the most ridiculous shit. I was just on Dark Carnival, on the roller coaster ride, and i was charging at the last guy as he was heading to turn off the rollercoaster. It was gonna be so awesome. I was gonna charge him and then just keep going and going, because it was the longest straight line of the whole ride.

So I charge at him, then the ride takes a dip before it goes back up. The Charger, instead of running up and down the bump, he runs into the bump and stops right in front of the guy I was supposed to hit. It was unreal. Dude just killed my on the spot. CHARGER. FAIL.

To deadstop a jockey you have to melee (push, not swing a melee weapon) RIGHT before they jump.

Once they are in the air they pretty much have you, because of the way valve coded them they actually grab you before they come in contact with you.

Don't try with a melee weapon, the effect doesn't linger in the air like a melee push. Even knowing to throw a push early the timing window is so small that I can only do it about 1/3 of the time.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
The Charger gets caught on the most ridiculous shit. I was just on Dark Carnival, on the roller coaster ride, and i was charging at the last guy as he was heading to turn off the rollercoaster. It was gonna be so awesome. I was gonna charge him and then just keep going and going, because it was the longest straight line of the whole ride.

So I charge at him, then the ride takes a dip before it goes back up. The Charger, instead of running up and down the bump, he runs into the bump and stops right in front of the guy I was supposed to hit. It was unreal. Dude just killed my on the spot. CHARGER. FAIL.

As frustrating as that is, my biggest problem with the charger is when I rush a tightly packed group and NOBODY but one person gets knocked back or down. Dunno if it's related but it kinda feels like when your boomer barfs or explodes on a person picking another person up and only one of them gets bile on them.

Red Scarlet

SpeedingUptoStop said:

Was it by the ammo on the ground? That's a point of no return (deathpull) slope with a bump. Either way, chargers will not charge someone until they hit a wall; they charge until they hit a wall or after going a certain distance (maybe 80 feet) then begin pounding.

profit

AzureNightmareXE said:
I just bought Left 4 Dead 2 and I need people to play with so please add me. My steam user name is azurenightmarex1 .
Fun easy run we had there Azure, big fail at the finale though :lol
Dunno if you guys were using voice chat, was watching a bit of tv during the game and couldnt use voice chat myself cause my throat is swollen like hell (happy newyear for me -_- ).

I played a Versus game earlier today at the Parish. It was pretty fun even though it was tragically one-sided. The other team consisted of two newbs and I think one of their friends. We had no mercy for them, but I would tell them to stick together and whatnot. Well, when we did the finale, my entire team actually made it to the helicopter. It was something I have never seen before and I was stunned.

Alivor

I love this game. It's so much better than it's actually difficult now, and forces cooperation. I like how in Hard Rain, it's not just a point A to B thing, you actually have a goal in mind and the weather changes throughout.

Volcynika

fallout said:
:lol

Was a good game.

I got taken out a window! D:

Great game though. I was a spitter the entire finale almost, taking those cheap shots to piss off people!

I'm available for another tonight if enough people are interested.

EDIT: Prolly not that high compared to others, but max Spitter damage in one life for me is 613 now. :eek:

Firestorm

Did I take down one or two people as Charger from the top of the mall? I couldn't tell =o

Winning by 20 points. That's how you do it!

wayward archer said:
As frustrating as that is, my biggest problem with the charger is when I rush a tightly packed group and NOBODY but one person gets knocked back or down. Dunno if it's related but it kinda feels like when your boomer barfs or explodes on a person picking another person up and only one of them gets bile on them.
These are probably all lag/latency related, whereas the timing on the jockey stop is bizarre even in singleplayer. They should patch it. I mean, if anything it should be easier to push away a little gremlin thing at close range than a man-sized hunter flying at you from a rooftop.

Rahnter

Still trying to get adjusted to the setting.. kinda miss the dark. But the level design is great as are the charger and spitter. I do however wish they kept the original characters, at least as an option.

NIN90

catfish said:
sorry man, I couldn't play for so long this time... I'll catch you next time. Also, get a mic! L4D with no mic is like L4D - 1 awesome point.

I do have a mic but my X-Fi soundcard doesn't like my mic.

Also GG HK, Volcynika and XeRo.

SpeedingUptoStop

I can get by on XBL fine without a mic (surprising amount of people don't have one) but it's always more fun with a mic. Especially when you're joking about how fucking dumb the other team is.:lol :lol

profit

GG again Azure!
Any newcomers interested in tackling the campaigns, learn to properly communicate with each other and in the future do expert?

Hey just figured i'd mention, I've played a bunch of l4d2 scavenge matches, recorded the .dem files and posted youtube videos of them for the past few months though i've been on a hiatus of l4d2 for a little while now. Anyway they are great fun to watch, lots of good teamwork. Lemme know what you think! It's like 200 3-5 minute videos (O . O)

http://www.youtube.com/EggsNBaconBreakfast

My God, expert realism is torture. It took us 2 and a half hours to reach level 3 of The Parish and then my group disbanded. Is there some secret strategy that I'm supposed to be using? I think the only reason we passed level 2 was because the hoard at the bus station was delayed.

If anyone wants to lend a helping hand my id is sheikh212

Woah, Plank Country Scavenge is fucking hardcore :lol

I think that's my new favorite map. You can wreck teams as infected by the generator. Plenty of trees and shit to hide behind.

Firestorm

fallout said:
I need a Playing as a Tank for Dummies book or something.
You're useless alone so you should really only be attacking with at least two other teammates. Call out who you've hit down, and have them call out who they've pinned so you can coordinate your attacks. Tank is good for splitting up the other team so the Special Infected can take them down with little interference.

Concept17

Just played a really close game on Parish. (vs) Were trailing the entire game by about 100-200 points all thanks to some confusion at the first crescendo. We made our way to the next two safehouses in record time, yet we were still got out damaged both times, as they too survived them both. Then on the bridge finale, behind by a good 300 points, I charged their best player off the side, and we then had a second charge on their next best player at roughly 25% through the map. The last two just sprinted for as many points as possible, and we ended with us being behind about 600 points, so the four of us had to make some good distance. We blew through most of it, survived a near fatal charge + jockey, and 2 of us managed to make it past the tank, as our points just barely went above theirs. Killed the tank, after he hit one of us off, then died right after.

Score was 3169 to 3016. One of the best L4D games I've had yet.

Firestorm said:
You're useless alone so you should really only be attacking with at least two other teammates. Call out who you've hit down, and have them call out who they've pinned so you can coordinate your attacks. Tank is good for splitting up the other team so the Special Infected can take them down with little interference.
Also, if you're not the Tank, please watch his back and let him know if there's anyone running up from behind with melee weapons.

Red Scarlet

Ice Monkey said:
Hey just figured i'd mention, I've played a bunch of l4d2 scavenge matches, recorded the .dem files and posted youtube videos of them for the past few months though i've been on a hiatus of l4d2 for a little while now. Anyway they are great fun to watch, lots of good teamwork. Lemme know what you think! It's like 200 3-5 minute videos (O . O)

http://www.youtube.com/EggsNBaconBreakfast

I'll have them all watched in a little while.

toasty_T said:
My God, expert realism is torture. It took us 2 and a half hours to reach level 3 of The Parish and then my group disbanded. Is there some secret strategy that I'm supposed to be using? I think the only reason we passed level 2 was because the hoard at the bus station was delayed.

Realism is a lot easier if you use melee weapons or the magnum as your main weapon (for commons at least). Plus if everyone is pretty low on health when you reach the safe room, you can if you want kill the players bleeding out so they start with 50HP at the start of the next level.

snack

Not sure if this was posted before but it's a chart that showcases the effectiveness of all the game's various weapons against the Tank on expert difficulty.

view_320200_1_1262219136.jpg

toasty_T said:

Grab a magnum as soon as you can. Use that most of the time. Go faster than you think you should through the levels. Then go faster again. Use bile bombs to go even faster.

snack said:
Not sure if this was posted before but it's a chart that showcases the effectiveness of all the game's various weapons against the Tank on expert difficulty.

I knew the nightstick was good at something. I always look for one because of it's tendency to not hit other players (crowbar seems to randomly miss other players as well), but now I'll have to try and beat a tank to death with it.

Red Scarlet

Played a team vs..what a weird server. On map 2, one of the players died at the gazebo (played Parish), and the others died at the event (we had a Tank). On map 4, I killed one of the players about 3/4 through, another died by the safe room door, and a third died at the safe room door while the last one (who was talking shit from level 3 on) was inside and got incapped by a proxy charge at the door. Up to that point in the game, no one on the team I was on ever died, yet the score went from 1800-1100 to about a 90 point difference:
c5m4_quarter0001.jpg

What happened there? How'd they get over 500 more points than us when 3 of them died (2 at the end so wouldn't have mattered)?

??

.dem file is here

Top Bottom