• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Red Scarlet

I'm not a coordinator, aside from 'attack at the same time'.

As an aside, I posted a msg to vert's group update; I'm not going to be on a team, just a free agent or whatever. Give me a hollar if your backup can't play or something, if that's allowable. I'm better at following directions than giving them.

vertopci

usea said:
How can I occasionally get into games with some of you guys? I'm seriously tired of joining random games; 90% of them I join half-way through a vs campaign on a team with 100 points against 1500, only 2 people on my team. It's not fun.

(It's also not fun winning in the same situation)

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/notscaredtoplay

Join that group.

Red Scarlet said:
I'm not a coordinator, aside from 'attack at the same time'.

As an aside, I posted a msg to vert's group update; I'm not going to be on a team, just a free agent or whatever. Give me a hollar if your backup can't play or something, if that's allowable. I'm better at following directions than giving them.

Why not...just make a team with Botolf, RD, and whoever else :/

Red Scarlet

There's been no discussion about it between us four, and I assume the games would be played on your server, and only fallengorn connects decently to your server. So I'd rather be a sub if someone needs one.

drkOne

Red Scarlet said:
There's been no discussion about it between us four, and I assume the games would be played on your server, and only fallengorn connects decently to your server. So I'd rather be a sub if someone needs one.
From what vert told me teams could just go for a random server, but he'd borrow his in case we wanted to play there.

Sibylus

Banned
I'm still willing to form a team with Scarlet and RD and a fourth (preferably somebody we've played some coop or vs games with before).

Red Scarlet said:
Yeah, should have at least 1 coordinator on the teams!
I was barking orders the whole time, but with my ping, you're probably only just receiving them now. Seriously though, I think we only spoke tactically once throughout the whole of Dead Carnival... and that was only "Get Jenga!"

By the way, for those who have played with me, is my voice clear? Pubs usually complain of echoing "Are you playing on the toilet?" etc

xero273

Volcynika said:
Don't play with Botolf, you'll be taking a nap before he loads a level.

Team loading!!! That's the plan though. Other team naps since botolf takes forever to load. easy win right there.

Sibylus

Banned
Sanjay said:
Sounds like a team our team could beat. :D
"Nah, we're not that good"
"Best team evar!"

14ux4r9.jpg

marvelharvey said:
I was barking orders the whole time, but with my ping, you're probably only just receiving them now. Seriously though, I think we only spoke tactically once throughout the whole of Dead Carnival... and that was only "Get Jenga!"

By the way, for those who have played with me, is my voice clear? Pubs usually complain of echoing "Are you playing on the toilet?" etc
Did you just mix me up with Scarlet? :O

Volcynika said:
Don't play with Botolf, you'll be taking a nap before he loads a level.
xero273 said:
Team loading!!! That's the plan though. Other team naps since botolf takes forever to load. easy win right there.
My game doesn't usually load that slow, so don't bet on that advantage lasting for long. Giving me files a check n' defrag!

marvelharvey said:

The few times I've played with you, your voice has always been clear.

usea

HK-47 said:
How does one open the console?
The ` or ~ key (above tab, left of 1) on your keyboard. Make sure enable developer console is checked in the options (probably under keyboard -> advanced)

drkOne

vertopci said:
GG tonight guys. :D
Like Nabs, I also found the route we took on the first map quite nice.
And I fail at Charger so much, charging at a closer range as you guys said does help
but then I just found another way to fail, on top of the Burger Tank ._.

vertopci

drkOne said:
Like Nabs, I also found the route we took on the first map quite nice.
And I fail at Charger so much, charging at a closer range as you guys said does help
but then I just found another way to fail, on top of the Burger Tank ._.

Best part of the path we took was that it's almost impossible to set the car alarm off :D

MNC

Yeah, our team totally needs to play more. But unfortunately I won't have time until after the 27th when I finally have no more exams. PLUS YOUR TIMEZONES ALL SUCK.

Twig

Banned
MNC said:
Yeah, our team totally needs to play more. But unfortunately I won't have time until after the 27th when I finally have no more exams. PLUS YOUR TIMEZONES ALL SUCK.
I blame you.

Malvolio

I would love to see Valve add a "random teams only" option. I think it would go a long way towards fixing public games. The vast majority seem to be 4 people that play together often going up against a revolving door of randoms who have no chance at all of enjoying a competitive game.

Malvolio said:
I would love to see Valve add a "random teams only" option. I think it would go a long way towards fixing public games. The vast majority seem to be 4 people that play together often going up against a revolving door of randoms who have no chance at all of enjoying a competitive game.
I think it already is in the game. The mode you're looking for is Team Battle - unless you're talking about something different.

Malvolio

darkpaladinmfc said:
I think it already is in the game. The mode you're looking for is Team Battle - unless you're talking about something different.

I could be mistaken, but I think Team Battle is for teams that are actually looking to play against other teams. What I'm looking to avoid are the pre-made teams that are interested in only curb-stomping a bunch of random players.

Mar

Red Scarlet said:
I can't use the standard WASD either.

WASD has never worked for me. Granted, I came up with my own control scheme before WASD came about and got used to that. But still, I've tried to convert to WASD and it just doesn't happen. Feels like my fingers are going the wrong way.

So what did I come up with? All those years ago for DOOM 1? FXCV. Try it. It's a more natural line for your middle finger to slide up and down because it's angled to the right, like your finger is angled when resting your hand on the keyboard. As opposed to WASD that has your middle finger sliding left when moving from S to W.

The only valid complaint I've heard about FXCV is that it's hard to reach the number keys quickly. But I've always felt more comfortable mapping things to the larger keys around them. Like Shift, Control, and Alt.

I still have my shortcut keys implanted in my memory for Quake 2. I played that for years.

Shift = Rocket Launcher
CTRL = Grenade Launcher
ALT = Rail Gun
B = Use
Z = Plasma Gun
Mouse Scroll Up = Chain Gun
Mouse Scroll Down = Shotgun

Makes me all nostalgic for FPS games on PC. One of these days I need to try L4D2 on PC and see if the old hit scan magic returns like it never left.

Twig

Banned
vertopci said:
I'm pretty sure you aren't in the L4D2 competitive scene. Which makes it kind of hard to be the comic relief for it, don't you think?
lol are you fucking serious here

this is just great

But you do have a point. Few people could replace you as comic relief.

vazel

Banned
Looks like the achievements resetting bug isn't fixed after all as I just got it. I only had two achievements left to go but they were all reset today.

The reset isn't even consistent. Here's how it looks in-game where I only got one achievement today. Here's how my achievement completion looks through Steam where I have 28 achievements.

Finally bought it after borrowing it on random occasions and I'm OD'ing on the sheer amount of things to do. This game is fucking packed and I'm so pleasantly surprised at the XBL activity, nothing like the first one's support.

10/10 in my book for most fun on the 360.

Red Scarlet

Looks like there's a crazy mod out now for cevo, so matches and stuff may have a tank every map pretty soon. Don't agree with all the changes, though.

Tanks will spawn on every map (even maps that don't allow it)
Common zombies will despawn if they fall behind survivors (and respawn in front)
Tank temporary immunity after spawn
AI tank will be frozen, will not throw rocks, and will have godmode
Player tank will have fire immunity and godmode for 2 seconds
No more prelights or getting rushed by melee cause tank was rock throwing!
Medkit/pill adjustments
Director pills are completely removed
All medkits (except the saferoom ones) are converted to pills

The following items removed
Defibs
Grenade launcher
Chainsaw
Explosive/Incendiary Ammo
Laser upgrade

Built-in ConVar

Reduce medkit/pill density
Increase witch rage barrier (more aggro)
Change jockey to recharge in 15 seconds after an incap
Tank chance to spawn 100% on every map in the same spot
Witch chance to spawn 100% on 2,3,4 if possible

Remfin

I think vert was running that tonight but with some other mods (infected selector and complete medkit removal). I personally thought the medkit removal from the safe room was just silly (the levels are just way too long).

I would think the laser sights would be a thing the competitive community would like since it rewards making do with one gun instead of tossing it out for a new one every time you run into another gun cache...

Red Scarlet

Yeah I don't agree with taking out all that stuff..seen a few times where frag rounds were an excellent counter to some 'death zone spots' and stuff. I do think the anti-prelight is excellent (and was in 1), and the witch buff is pretty crazy if it is the same one vert's server has.

Nabs simply ran past a witch on Dark Carnival 1 and she went after him. Makes witches much more potent, but I think it should be a little toned down. Vert says you have 1 second after she notices you to crown her. It's doable but it can completely depend on the placement of her.

Remfin said:
I think vert was running that tonight but with some other mods (infected selector and complete medkit removal). I personally thought the medkit removal from the safe room was just silly (the levels are just way too long).

I would think the laser sights would be a thing the competitive community would like since it rewards making do with one gun instead of tossing it out for a new one every time you run into another gun cache...

Yeah he said he might be using it today. But he's already been using a mod with no medkits at all. Current newegg tournament uses one that eliminates kits except for the finale, like frustian's mod did in 1.

Agree with the removal of laser sights being dumb; they make some guns a LOT better (AK w/ laser is becoming my preferred gun). I was on the boat with removing the frag/fire ammo but after seeing the frag ammo counter the HR2 elevator, it made it have some tactical value to me (I still don't like using it regularly..I just own myself with it still too much). Plus it can counter the buffed witch, too.

Daigoro

Mar_ said:

ewwww-uh.

notsol337 said:
Give him a minute. Vert's douchiness has gone unchallenged long enough! >:0

:lol

afternoon delight said:
This game is fucking packed and I'm so pleasantly surprised at the XBL activity, nothing like the first one's support.

what does this mean? i agree that the game is great on 360, but ya lost me with this.

Red Scarlet said:
I was on the boat with removing the frag/fire ammo but after seeing the frag ammo counter the HR2 elevator, it made it have some tactical value to me (I still don't like using it regularly..I just own myself with it still too much). Plus it can counter the buffed witch, too.

yeah, a lot of those changes are wacky.

i completely agree with the ammo thing though. i feel like the add almost nothing to the game, and i too own myself with frag ammo every time i got it. i dont get it anymore.

not that ive played in weeks now...

Red Scarlet

On campaign I don't get it most of the time yeah. But after seeing it completely counter a couple of 'death spots' on vs (HR2/3 elevator, DC3 file cabinets, etc) I kind of like it there.

Twig

Banned
lol wtf

The anti-prelighting thing is the only good thing in that entire list of changes. Well, and making the witch more powerful. She's always too weak in normal play, no matter who I'm playing with.

The ammo types aren't that great (especially the frag rounds just lead to disaster a lot of times), but since when is that a reason to remove something from a game? Just don't use it if you don't want it. So what if they have one or two spots where they're useful. It's called strategy, you fuckwits.

GG ruining a good game by overcompensating for your lack of skills.

So sad, so sad.

Volcynika

TheOneGuy said:
lol wtf

The anti-prelighting thing is the only good thing in that entire list of changes. Well, and making the witch more powerful. She's always too weak in normal play, no matter who I'm playing with.

The ammo types aren't that great (especially the frag rounds just lead to disaster a lot of times), but since when is that a reason to remove something from a game? Just don't use it if you don't want it. So what if they have one or two spots where they're useful. It's called strategy, you fuckwits.

GG ruining a good game by overcompensating for your lack of skills.

So sad, so sad.

I heard a later update replaces all the survivors with the original ones and replaces every level with Blood Harvest.

Top Bottom