• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

MMaRsu

Volcynika said:
Let people know your platform, then you can find people easier! :p

Oh right :p, 360 version! I really liked L4D1, so I'm curious to see how L4D2 compares! I only played the demo and that's pretty much all I know :p.

Red Scarlet

TheOneGuy said:
lol wtf

The anti-prelighting thing is the only good thing in that entire list of changes. Well, and making the witch more powerful. She's always too weak in normal play, no matter who I'm playing with.

The ammo types aren't that great (especially the frag rounds just lead to disaster a lot of times), but since when is that a reason to remove something from a game? Just don't use it if you don't want it. So what if they have one or two spots where they're useful. It's called strategy, you fuckwits.

GG ruining a good game by overcompensating for your lack of skills.

So sad, so sad.

Well that was just the most extreme examples I can think of for keeping the frag rounds..they own witches from a distance (very useful on that upgraded witch mod..on that it is VERY VERY hard to get her before she is chasing someone..she is up and running within 1 second of her spotting you) and when they can repel a charger from running everyone into a wall to get 59 damage done via a spit, that is quite the counter/strategy to hold on to those frag rounds instead of a kit. In general on vs they are also great for pissing off the infected side since they get juggled around and that annoying beeeeeeeeeep death sound. I just own myself with them on expert too much so I tend to stay away from them on the closed area maps.

Twig

Banned
Right, that's what I'm saying. By removing those options from the game, you are removing perfectly valid strategies from the game. For the sake of... what, exactly? Balance? Balls.

And they only last one full clip; it's not like you can use them forever.

Didn't know they could repel a charger mid-charge, though. That's pretty dumb. Charger in general has far too many limiters already what with stupid five-inches-too-tall blades of grass, etc.

I'm looking to get some matches on Left 4 Dead 2 (either version)

It's been a little tough organising versus matches on Eurogamer, so I have come to the promised land of Neogaf.

I've neglected this game recently, too much university work. :(

Ganhyun

recently got this game (360 version). I enjoyed the first one. I honestly feel let down in this one.

Pros:

+ More weapons
+ Melee weapons are nice
+ New special infected and uncommon infected as well as old special infected

Cons:

- Human AI seems dumbed down in my playthroughs. Used to AI would grab extra healhpacks on their own. In my playthroughs so far, unless they are in the red they ignore the healthpacks.
- Human AI wont grab defib units
- Human AI still wont grab Molotovs or Pipebombs or the new Boomer Bile
- Human AI wont grab pills or adrenaline half the time
- Human AI seems designed to camp and be slow in responding compared to first one
: example: The Roller Coaster track. I understand that I'm the human, I need to lead the way, but there was waay too much, stop and camp a part of the track for 5 minutes no matter how much I try to force them to move up by running ahead. Cant sit there forever in those types of situations, they are designed to be rushed through from what I can tell. (Several cues from the AI to go silence the racket, yet they wont move :lol )

Versus is still cool. Havent tried realism yet, but I hear its a bitch.

Ganhyun said:
recently got this game (360 version). I enjoyed the first one. I honestly feel let down in this one.

Pros:

+ More weapons
+ Melee weapons are nice

Cons:

- Human AI seems dumbed down in my playthroughs. Used to AI would grab extra healhpacks on their own. In my playthroughs so far, unless they are in the red they ignore the healthpacks.
- Human AI seems designed to camp and be slow in responding compared to first one
: example: The Roller Coaster track. I understand that I'm the human, I need to lead the way, but there was waay too much, stop and camp a part of the track for 5 minutes no matter how much I try to force them to move up by running ahead. Cant sit there forever in those types of situations, they are designed to be rushed through from what I can tell. (Several cues from the AI to go silence the racket, yet they wont move :lol )

Make new friends?

srenity

Neo Member
Ganhyun said:

Pros:

+ More weapons
+ Melee weapons are nice

Cons:

The first time I got the game, I played through DC on single player. I struggled through that campaign,... on EASY. I can't believe you had the patience to play through other campaigns in single player! Compared to L4D, L4D2 definitely requires more co-op, stay-togetherness, and communication.

Go play some online multiplayer! Even if you end up in a game with some terrible players :lol

vertopci

Special ammo is removed because it gives the team going second as survivors an advantage :/

notsol337 said:
Give him a minute. Vert's douchiness has gone unchallenged long enough! >:0

Not my fault no one is capable of arguing with me.

And not my fault you guys fall for such stupid and obvious troll comments so easily :/

Remfin said:
I think vert was running that tonight but with some other mods (infected selector and complete medkit removal). I personally thought the medkit removal from the safe room was just silly (the levels are just way too long).

Kits are removed on my server because you don't need them on most maps. It would just turn into who gets more infected damage with kits. With no kits, it's both who gets the farthest and deals more infected damage if teams do manage to make it.

Twig

Banned
vertopci said:
Special ammo is removed because it gives the team going second as survivors an advantage :/
How so?
More like no one feels like stooping to your low level of intelligence.
And not my fault you guys fall for such stupid and obvious troll comments so easily :/
They're also far more douchy than any of my trolls have ever been. And you only troll when people challenge your SRS BSNS versus philosophy. It's kind of sad.

At least I try to keep things fun!!

Red Scarlet

vertopci said:

Kits are removed on my server because you don't need them on most maps. It would just turn into who gets more infected damage with kits. With no kits, it's both who gets the farthest and deals more infected damage if teams do manage to make it.

Well, for maps like Hard Rain 2, it's not really an advantage of who goes first if they use it as an elevator counter.

Funny thing I saw yesterday..a match on Dead Center 1..both teams did a death charge to a player in the exact same spot. The other 3 people made it to the safe room. Both dead players got the same score, and so did each team. The 'tie breaker' did not occur.

Hello Gaf. How do I get in on some of L4D2 action here? Is there a steamgroup for gaf? I bring with me about 1,053 hours of L4D and around 150 hours of L4D2 so I hope I'm not really bad compared to you guys :)

vertopci

TheOneGuy said:

The team going first has to decide whether they want to keep the special ammo or not without knowing what is going to occur. The second team knows exactly when a tank or witch will spawn so they know whether to pick up the ammo or leave it. They don't have to guess at whether picking it up is a good move or not.

vertopci said:
The team going first has to decide whether they want to keep the special ammo or not without knowing what is going to occur. The second team knows exactly when a tank or witch will spawn so they know whether to pick up the ammo or leave it. They don't have to guess at whether picking it up is a good move or not.
I thought there weren't medkits, so the medkit slot would be available anyways...?

Twig

Banned
RocketDarkness said:
I thought there weren't medkits, so the medkit slot would be available anyways...?
He means save the ammo for later, as opposed to using it the moment it shows up.

Which is a stupid thing to complain about. But not really surprising.

TheOneGuy said:
He means save the ammo for later, as opposed to using it the moment it shows up.

But as Red said, special ammo is terrible most of the time. You'd only really want it for specific danger zones anyways...

Twig

Banned
RocketDarkness said:
But as Red said, special ammo is terrible most of the time. You'd only really want it for specific danger zones anyways...
Hence why I think it's stupid to complain about it.

There are lots of things I can understand changing, even if I don't agree with it, such as medkits. They do tend to slow down the game, and a speedier game might appeal to many. People like different experiences. Some people are all SRS BSNS, and others are not.

But this?

I guess some people think balancing things means removing them entirely. It's not a new phenomenon in SRS BSNS gaming, but it is one that has always baffled me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheOneGuy said:
I guess some people think balancing things means removing them entirely. It's not a new phenomenon in SRS BSNS gaming, but it is one that has always baffled me.

These items don't make the game fun for us. That is why we remove them.

Red Scarlet

vertopci

RocketDarkness said:

Default settings have kits only in the saferoom. So the slot wouldn't be available on default CEVO settings.

TheOneGuy said:

How is it stupid? I just explained to you how the second team gets an advantage.

RocketDarkness said:

Tanks and witches.

Twig

Banned
Stallion Free said:
These items don't make the game fun for us. That is why we remove them.
Correction: You don't find the game fun, so you butcher it.
vert said:
How is it stupid? I just explained to you how the second team gets an advantage.
And your explanation is found lacking.

Thank you, come again.

Twig

Banned
vertopci said:
So basically, you don't have a counter-argument?

If you're gonna say I'm wrong on something, at least give a reason why :/
TheOneGuy said:
I'm not playing that game today, bro.
Give it up, bro. You won't win, bro.

Also grow up, bro. You've got to be at least 12 years old, so you should theoretically be above this petty nonsense.

1-D_FTW

vertopci said:
So basically, you don't have a counter-argument?

He gave an answer. You didn't like. So you've gone back into self-admitted troll mode.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheOneGuy said:
Correction: You don't find the game fun, so you butcher it.

Well I paid for the game, so I can butcher it as I please. That's why I play on PC. And seeing as that we have a group that plays that same butchered game almost nightly, I'm certainly not the only one.

Twig

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Well I paid for the game, so I can butcher it as I please.
Don't believe I've ever said you weren't allowed. The fuck do I look like, lord of all gaming? Fuck no. If people want to have fun by playing entirely different games than what they were given, that's their prerogative.

Just don't be a fucking elitist dick about it.

I always thought the game was designed to give the second team to play survivors a slight advantage since they are the team behind in points.

The second team also knows exactly where witches and tanks spawn, so why aren't tanks and witches removed?

It sucks that people who want to play in tournaments now have to deal with a bunch of unofficial tweaks that greatly change the gameplay. Maybe I would be more understanding if so many of these changes weren't terrible.

On a related note, I'd love it if there was a way to select "unofficial dedicated servers not crippled by horrible mods" when playing a versus game.

I agree with most of those cevo changes, but I'd have preferred a single melee weapon in the saferoom for one player and there being a small chance of a health kit/defib unit off of the beaten path, to encourage a little exploring. Either way, I'm looking forward to the tank on Dead Center 1.

Sanjay

The changes, some good some bad.

For.
Common zombies will despawn if they fall behind survivors (and respawn in front)
Tank temporary immunity after spawn
AI tank will be frozen, will not throw rocks, and will have godmode
Player tank will have fire immunity and godmode for 2 seconds
No more prelights or getting rushed by melee cause tank was rock throwing!
Medkit/pill adjustments
Director pills are completely removed
All medkits (except the saferoom ones) are converted to pills

Against.
Tanks will spawn on every map (even maps that don't allow it)
No Defibs
No Grenade launcher
No Chainsaw
No Explosive/Incendiary Ammo
No Laser upgrade

I think all these items should be in, if the teams willing to look for them, more risky but the rewards suffice for finding them but keep in mind no duplicates, one item of each is the limit.

Also having a tank each round is just not the way it should be played, sure at the start its good then it becomes mundane with "Tank time" and if you mess up its like "oh don't worry we still got 4 more goes" of being the tank, the Tank just loses its edge and makes the game less risky with more times to pull a victory back, well thats my take on the tank encounters.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
notsol337 said:
Sir, I greatly enjoy KF with you, but I don't get this statement. I'm kind of slow.

Are you saying Twig is a scrub?

>:0

I'm trying to decide what both of them are. Look up the terms on TVTropes. They both seem to blend them.

vertopci

vultureparade said:
I always thought the game was designed to give the second team to play survivors a slight advantage since they are the team behind in points.

The second team also knows exactly where witches and tanks spawn, so why aren't tanks and witches removed?

It sucks that people who want to play in tournaments now have to deal with a bunch of unofficial tweaks that greatly change the gameplay. Maybe I would be more understanding if so many of these changes weren't terrible.

First off, why should one team get an advantage? Giving one team an advantage is stupid in every way.

On the flip side of the tank and witch spawns, the second team playing infected also know about the tank and witch spawns allowing them to set up for it. So it evens out more or less.

Also how does it suck that people who want to play in tourneys have to deal with the mods? They are the exact people who want these changes. In fact these changes are tested by them and approved by them.

And if you're going to call these changes terrible back them up with an argument or don't say anything because otherwise you look like someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

notsol337

marked forever
vertopci said:
First off, why should one team get an advantage? Giving one team an advantage is stupid in every way.

On the flip side of the tank and witch spawns, the second team playing infected also know about the tank and witch spawns allowing them to set up for it. So it evens out more or less.

Also how does it suck that people who want to play in tourneys have to deal with the mods? They are the exact people who want these changes. In fact these changes are tested by them and approved by them.

And if you're going to call these changes terrible back them up with an argument or don't say anything because otherwise you look like someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

I would have played in the tourneys if it wasn't for the mods.

Also, your posts are really fun to read. It's pretty much the embodiment of a stuck up jerk telling people to fuck off if they don't like something, and insulting their intelligence regardless. Likely because that is how they read, regardless of whether or not you mean it that way. If you do mean it that way, then congrats! You're awesome at speaking.

vg260

I only recently upgraded my PC to be able to play modern games, so I haven't gotten into L4D2 yet (playing Batman first). I have a possibly silly question, though.

On the PC version, can you set up the controls so that you could use the 360 pad for movement and a mouse for aiming?

I don't have a pc headset either. Is it possible to somehow use the 360 one through a 360 controller?

Thanks.

Sibylus

Banned
I'd like to play this guy's Survival maps sometime. He's a member of the Black Mesa mod team, and these maps look pretty good:

Forage

3262_1.jpg

Tower

map_tower2.jpg

We should be able to play them in L4D2 if we have addon support installed.

vg260

Stallion Free said:
If you can wait about ~12 hours I will be able to test this out for you.

Cool thanks. However I was curious and just tested this briefly and it recognizes the 360 controller and headset just fine. Looks like I'm good to go!

Sanjay

Just won a game, highlight of the day not just because we won but it was so close and fun, and at the end our whole team were like, was that the finale? did we just win...and smiles all around.

Red Scarlet

I was mashing the 'score' button and updating how many points they needed. Paul really liked you guys he said, and would love to play with us again (Conceptor is a member of the GAF vs group, but he isn't a poster; he met me through zombie mod CS, then vert and co through L4D).

Here's the .dem files, Sanjay: http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/011910vsSF.zip

That log really hurt. :(

But I did kill you right before, so...

Ramirez

So, I don't know if it's considered legit, but I faced a team today on the Motel Scavenge map that would lob a bomb into the billboard while still in the safe zone and it would blow all of the gas cans right down to the pool area. Basically spotting them 3 free easy points every round, they didn't turn yellow either, so yea. I hope it doesn't catch on, we still beat them pretty easily, but it's annoying.

Top Bottom