• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Red Scarlet

That's how Counter-Strike was, so when I lost my mic I had no intention of getting a new one (CS and L4D are the only fps on pc I've played).

I play with lots of people that use mics, and either typed or used vocalizations to respond or react, and it worked pretty well for campaign. VS? not so much, so I would always take the role of "follower" and let someone else coordinate or plan. As much as I want to try out for a competitive team, I know I'll never get the chance because, as they should, they require a microphone for instant planning/coordinating in vs.

I had some funny/goofy binds, but I did try to use the helpful ones as if they were a microphone command; I only hit the Tank one when I hear a Tank, stuff like that. During a goofy time/end of level, yeah Burger Tank to the Rescue is fun. With the right ones, you can communicate pretty well with mic-users without one, at least that's the impression I get with the people I play with on campaign. Now though, I can't really do much at all (I think out of the 18 radial commands I'd actually use four..laugh/look/yes/no).

When a horde is coming and you hear a Tank or Spitter, it can be a little easier to yell one or the other via vocalize OR a mic; it can easily be too hectic with what's going on in the screen to notice and see if someone typed 'there is a spitter'. That's what the removal of vocalization binds did for those that don't grief with them. Now my ability as a teammate is pretty nerfed. Yes I can still rescue you just as fine, but I tend to be the person in the lead of the group and can warn people about a Tank faster than people with mics. Now, I have to hope they see a typed bind instead of if they are using subtitles, an aural and visual warning at the same time.

wayward archer said:
The reason people would spam voice binds is because it was effortless beyond the setup, and much less likely to be kicked than teamkilling or doing nothing, and in my experience most griefers won't bother if even a small amount of additional effort is added.

Like I said I would prefer defensive options like muting player initiated voice binds or filtering them based on frequency than removing useful tools, but I do believe this will improve the overall experience of playing with randoms. I've encountered many, many more voice spammers than people who use binds constructively.

Playing with randoms has always been more miss than hit. Don't play with them (I have never once played with randoms aside from vs). Like I said above, there *is* quite a gap in campaign and vs for the use of binds.

It is also puzzling that they removed them in 2..they've been around in 1 sine day one and still work, and griefers that did that have been around for over a year. It is not a new thing that people find ways to annoy people with vocalizations.

Botolf: as said before, it won't stop anything. People will still grief if they want. They can still 'laugh' 'laugh' 'laugh' 'taunt 'taunt' 'taunt'. I can play later if you want.

Sibylus

Banned
Wheel modding still works, doesn't it? (Although I hear it's harder to pin down particulars) That might be an acceptable workaround in your situation.

Twig

Banned
I'm just happy to know this thread goes to hell with or without my help.

Am I allowed to start insulting people, yet? Everyone else is. ):

mojiimbo

Anyone know if you can do campaign co-op over system link on the 360? I could only figure out how to set up a Versus lobby. Thanks.

Sibylus

Banned
Hallo Scarlet, could you make 2 gifs from these two demos made from the Dark Carnival round we just did? Danke.

Map 2: I want a gif of you getting pulled by that smoker on the top of the slide-building (where you very nearly fell quite a distance but I worked my Protolf magicks)

Map 5: I want a gif of me getting stuck inside the floor of the helicopter, and then being punched upward by the tank and escaping with the rest of you guys.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4J9596T9 (About 10 MBs)

Sibylus

Banned
One gif request from our Parish runthrough:

It's near the end of the map, in the last alleyway you travel through. A horde comes and I throw a molotov at the upper floor's hallway. A zombie drops down in that moment and his foot pushes the molotov back. It explodes on the ground in front of us and incaps hk, I back up and am saved by a pile of garbage.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OPT7IRTR

usea

Sometimes when I shoot a can of gas, the room below catches fire instead. This has happened to me 3 times in the first room you come to in Dead Center 2. Weird.

Also I finally got my video card back. So no more playing at 800x600 with 20-30 fps.

Red Scarlet

Well I made vids of the parts you wanted Botolf. Not sure if you want actual gifs or just the little clips. I uploaded my POV of the 3 things if you want to see how they looked there. The game updated today so you gotta do the little 'trick' thing to view them.

http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/022310dk_2.dem
http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/022310dk_5.dem
http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/0224103par_4.dem

I'll edit the post with the actual clips..and watching the Parish 4 thing..it looks like the mol hit the wall..not a zombie's foot.

http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/botolf001.avi
http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/botolf002.avi
http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/botolf003.avi

Sibylus

Banned
No, it was definitely some part of the zombie. The mol was angled well above the lip of the floor, it would have flown into the upstairs hallway if it hadn't been impeded/redirected.

Edit: Watching the video, unsure now. It looked high enough when I was playing, but the edge might have *just* caught it. And yet, it does seem to arc down/redirect prematurely just as the zombie runs for the edge, I was aiming high.

Thanks for the vids, btw :)

Red Scarlet

Yeah it could go either way..to me it looks like it hit the lip and was just a little low, then maybe the zombie dragged it or just happened to be at a similar angle. Dunno! Hopefully Toku wants to do SF...

Grab my POV's too! They're still watchable if you know how to do that.

Sibylus

Banned
Downloadin'. What's the console command for watching? Edit: Also, I'm not sure how to watch outdated .dems.

I think it's probably a combo of factors. The molo probably ran into the zombie's hitbox, which pushed it down/slowed it down enough so that it brushed against the lip and fell. Either way it wasn't your average whiff :p

Red Scarlet

just type playdemo in the console and the ones you have will come up. I just copy then paste the name of the one/series I'm going to watch.

For older demos, all you have to do is go to steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2, then open the steam.inf file. Change the Patchversion to what version the demo says it was recorded in.

Like right now the current version is PatchVersion=2.0.1.1
Just change it to 2.0.1.0 in the steam.inf file and save it, then open the game and it'll play the demo fine (can do that with any demos so far, including day 1 dems). Just reopen the steam.inf file and change it back to the current version when you are going to play the game afterward.

I wish I would've known about that and kept the first plays of the middle 3 campaigns.

Dr_HaxJPG.jpg

HAX!

Sibylus

Banned
I try to go to sleep at a decent time and my brain rewards me by going into hyperactive mode. I don't want to think about decimal time and its utility to an interstellar civilization, I want to sleep!

Goddamn.

Sibylus

Banned
Daigoro said:
lookit all these L4D fans up at my time.

let's play. :p
Sorry bro, sleep attempt number 2 is imminent. I think I finally wore my asshole brain down with a little number crunching.

If I'm up in four hours or so having failed again, I'll play to the best of my sleep-deprived ability.

In between 3 games of absolute lop-sidedness, and people quickly joining and leaving on L4D2 on Live so I didn't really get to play tonight despite being online for like 20 minutes, I got to thinking...Left 4 Dead and L4D2 are probably in my Top 10 games of this generation so far. Still feels like a fresh experience almost 1.5 since the original came out.

Now if only the L4D community wasn't so retarded on Live...Going to try to play some more over the weekend before BC2 hits.

Top Bottom