• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

taoofjord

Too many idiots used the key bind vocalizations to annoy people, I sure as hell won't miss it. Too bad people like that have to ruin it for everyone but I prefer everyone to use a mic anyway.

Red Scarlet

It was in the update a couple days ago, but wasn't mentioned in the actual update. I've tried about 3 times now to get it to work, starting completely over each time, trying to just make one wheel copying the setup from 1 since I know that works, and nothing I do gets it to work. So I'm fucked I guess.

taoofjord said:
Too many idiots used the key bind vocalizations to annoy people, I sure as hell won't miss it. Too bad people like that have to ruin it for everyone but I prefer everyone to use a mic anyway.

People can still spam the radial menus included in the game or spam annoying shit on their mics too.

Daigoro

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1154219

the guy made a topic on the Steam forums, might help.

yeah, im really not happy about this unannounced change. this is pretty disappointing from Valve.

Red Scarlet said:
People can still spam the radial menus included in the game or spam annoying shit on their mics too.

exactly. its not stopping spamming, at all. its just stopping people from keybinding vocal commands. its bullshit.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
taoofjord said:

Yeah cause everyone has a mic. I cant believe they'd remove the option. Massive failure, Valve.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
They should have made it so you could mute vocalized commands from players.

I also dislike that this was done so under the rug, like they were trying to sneak one past people.

Red Scarlet

Some of them already have delays and stuff set..my 'spitter goo' warning one only works once every couple of minutes, and some only work once per map.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
5 second delay could still be too long. L4D is a very fast game where a lot of info needs to be relayed quickly or people end up down or dead.

Red Scarlet said:
Some of them already have delays and stuff set..my 'spitter goo' warning one only works once every couple of minutes, and some only work once per map.
I noticed this too. I also noticed Rochelle failing to point out Molotov. She usually goes "Hey guys check this shit out"

Daigoro

HK-47 said:
They should have made it so you could mute vocalized commands from players.

I also dislike that this was done so under the rug, like they were trying to sneak one past people.

yep. agreed.

Red Scarlet said:

yeah, that was annoying enough.

im really not happy about this shit.

Mar

In our quest to get all the achievements, my friends and I started a 4v4 game last weekend. It was going to be our first ever online multiplayer game vs randoms...

We sat and waited for about 10 minutes and no one joined. So we quit and went off and did something else.

Is the xbox 360 multiplayer scene dead already?

Is the xbox 360 multiplayer scene dead already?

No, but it all depends when you play I guess? I found afternoons, weekends, and evenings to be the best. It's no PC scene where there's people 24/7, but that works with my schedule?

I can't for the life of me get past campaigns on expert, but we only have a two-player team. Is it impossible?

Mar_ said:
We sat and waited for about 10 minutes and no one joined. So we quit and went off and did something else.

This happens in both L4D's on 360. I think the Quickmatch option might be slightly messed up or delayed. Sometimes your game will fill within seconds, other times you'll sit there and wait for 10 minutes literally. Not to mention the Live community is slightly retarded when it comes to L4D. They'll vote to go back to the lobby because the teams are lopsided, no one will change teams, no one will leave, and the game starts back up after like 30 seconds...Then vote to return to the lobby again, but do nothing again. The 360 version of L4D and L4D2 seriously would benefit greatly from some form of matchmaking.

vazel

Banned
They took out voice binds?! Oh thank the heavens!!!! I will never understand why some people find it amusing to constantly spam voice binds.

Did they also get rid of auto spawning in finales? I played a versus match last night and I noticed I could choose where to spawn. Don't play versus mode much so don't know if that was just a server mod.

vertopci

HK-47 said:
5 second delay could still be too long. L4D is a very fast game where a lot of info needs to be relayed quickly or people end up down or dead.

Jesus you guys are exaggerating the usefulness of those voice binds :lol

If you really want to relay info so badly, just get a mic :/

HK-47 said:
Not the point.

What is your point?
vertopci said:
Jesus you guys are exaggerating the usefulness of those voice binds :lol

If you really want to relay info so badly, just get a mic :/
yeah, I've never heard of someone using vocalization binds to actually communicate with their team.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SundaySounds said:
What is your point?

That the removal of the feature instead of some compromise is a bad move. That the vocalizations were an extremely smart addition because it allowed the player an alternate method of communicating to getting a mic, an extra piece of equipment to play the game, or typing, which is slow.

Not to mention they were fun.

SundaySounds said:
yeah, I've never heard of someone using vocalization binds to actually communicate with their team.

Well I play with them all the time.

HK-47 said:
That the removal of the feature instead of some compromise is a bad move. That the vocalizations were an extremely smart addition because it allowed the player an alternate method of communicating to getting a mic, an extra piece of equipment to play the game, or typing, which is slow.
Having to program the binds and actually use them seems like so much more work than just getting a mic. The game is so much more fun when everyone can actually talk with eachother.
HK-47 said:
Not to mention they were fun.
No.

Remfin

SundaySounds said:
Having to program the binds and actually use them seems like so much more work than just getting a mic. The game is so much more fun when everyone can actually talk with eachother.
Unless one has hearing issues. Or speech impediments. Or plays in a circumstance where they can't just be talking into a microphone all the time. Or just plain doesn't want to.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Remfin said:
Unless one has hearing issues. Or speech impediments. Or plays in a circumstance where they can't just be talking into a microphone all the time. Or just plain doesn't want to.

Or can type English but dont speak it well.

HK-47 said:
Or can type English but doesnt speak it well.
You don't need to be able to carry a conversation, just point things out, let us know when you're pounced, or if you see pills or something. It just seems like you're making a big deal about this vocalization thing, while using them just seems like an inconvenience in itself.
Remfin said:
That sounds like <1% of L4D players. If someone had hearing problems, I would imagine they would have a difficult time playing L4D in the first place.

Remfin

SundaySounds said:
You don't need to be able to carry a conversation, just point things out, let us know when you're pounced, or if you see pills or something. It just seems like you're making a big deal about this vocalization thing, while using them just seems like an inconvenience in itself.
And what do you know, my vocalizes did that. Until they were disabled.
That sounds like <1% of L4D players. If someone had hearing problems, I would imagine they would have a difficult time playing L4D in the first place.
I don't have a difficult time playing L4D (or at least, nothing due to sound...I just suck at FPS :lol ), but I can't understand a word people say through microphones.

Remfin said:
And what do you know, my vocalizes did that. Until they were disabled.
Nobody bothers listening to those because people just spam them all the time! Plus the game noises drown out vocalizations, while you can hear other people's mics just fine.

Volcynika

SundaySounds said:
Nobody bothers listening to those because people just spam them all the time! Plus the game noises drown out vocalizations, while you can hear other people's mics just fine.

I listen to them when I play with people that don't spam them. Scarlet is quick to vocalize when something like a tank is ahead and I can barely hear the sound of one. So yes, some people 'bother' to listen to them.

Volcynika said:
I listen to them when I play with people that don't spam them. Scarlet is quick to vocalize when something like a tank is ahead and I can barely hear the sound of one. So yes, some people 'bother' to listen to them.
I'm sorry, but I think you're just objectively wrong.
Vocalizations are quieter, sometimes vague, impersonal, and are more of a hassle than just using a mic.

Also, when you use vocalizations in stead of just talking, what's even the point of playing with other people then? There's no human interaction. I actually get to know the people I play with through talking with them. It makes the game so much better.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SundaySounds said:
Vocalizations are quieter, sometimes vague, impersonal, and are more of a hassle than just using a mic.

Also, when you use vocalizations in stead of just talking, what's even the point of playing with other people then? There's no human interaction. I actually get to know the people I play with through talking with them. It makes the game so much better.

Cause its fun to play with people you know and its better than bots? Because L4D is just plain entertaining? Because they can still type but binds are quicker?

Volcynika

SundaySounds said:

Yeah, "Tank!" is pretty vague! But seriously I can hear that clearly compared to a very small growl of one in the distance.

A lot of the time I'm one of the only people with a mic and I talk with people that just type back. Sire it's odd to talk with no one talking back, but we still converse in downtimes. They use vocalizations and I can hear them fine (I have my sound routed to my headphones I use).

Just because you have a preference to not care for vocalizations does not mean that people that are effective teammates and use them don't exist. Because they do.

Really, it's all preference, so it's more subjective than objective.

Remfin

SundaySounds said:

I see lots of words but none of them justify removing vocalizations. They worked for me, and for the people I played with, so why should I lose that option? What is the benefit? This is basically an argument of "I don't play this way, therefore I don't want you to play this way."

I also interact just fine with people...I do it through typing. Social communities existed on the Internet long before there was voice chat.

PS - all your arguments also justify figuring out ways to block and interfere with Ventrillo. Would you be OK with Valve doing that?

vazel

Banned
Remfin said:
I see lots of words but none of them justify removing vocalizations. They worked for me, and for the people I played with, so why should I lose that option? What is the benefit? This is basically an argument of "I don't play this way, therefore I don't want you to play this way."

I also interact just fine with people...I do it through typing. Social communities existed on the Internet long before there was voice chat.

PS - all your arguments also justify figuring out ways to block and interfere with Ventrillo. Would you be OK with Valve doing that?
Did people really take your voice binds seriously? Do you play with friends only? I usually ignore voice binds now after people using their warning/help voice binds when there was nothing around. Boy cries wolf and all that.

Remfin said:
Now hang on, I'm not defending valve's action to remove vocalizations all together. I think the delay between vocals sounds like a good idea. But I just think you guys are throwing a fit over nothing.
Remfin said:
that's like saying texting is just as personal as a phone call. You can get your message across, but there's no sense of humanity in a text.
Remfin said:
2cnwqyr.gif

lol, I honestly can't fathom how you came to that conclusion.

Remfin

SundaySounds said:
Now hang on, I'm not defending valve's action to remove vocalizations all together. I think the delay between vocals sounds like a good idea. But I just think you guys are throwing a fit over nothing.
And we're pointing out to some players it is NOT nothing. And yet you keep telling us it is. You basically are defending them whether you mean to or not. Why not just live and let live?
lol, I honestly can't fathom how you came to that conclusion.
SundaySounds said:
It's the logical inverses of those statements. You hate bind spam, which only matters if they come from your team, which basically means pub nonsense. Ventrillo usage is exclusionary in pubs so it should fall under the same reason for being interfered with. Your second point just highlights an issue where Ventrillo ignores intended game mechanics (smoker clouds and Realism mode), much like the claims of voice binds allowing survivors to say silly shit at the wrong time.

I was just pointing out you (likely) have your own issues where the L4D public would happily defend Valve screwing you over while you insist it's very, very important. Why do you have to oppose us wanting to keep a useful game feature? We wouldn't oppose you.

Volcynika

"I don't like vocalizations for certain reasons, so clearly no one bothers to listen to them, much like myself!"

Assumptions are fun. (That was basically the firs tpost I responded to)

I understand the arguments of the pro-voice bind people, but you have to admit, you are part of a very small minority. Couple that with the fact that it is much more convenient to just use a mic, you have to understand why Valve isn't going to side with you on this issue.

Sullen

Panda Bear said:
I understand the arguments of the pro-voice bind people, but you have to admit, you are part of a very small minority. Couple that with the fact that it is much more convenient to just use a mic, you have to understand why Valve isn't going to side with you on this issue.

Yup. A lot of people seem to have some weird phobia about using a mic. The vast majority of online gamers do not, sorry.

Remfin

Panda Bear said:
That's an argument for a development team not doing the extra work to help out a small minority; it isn't an argument for doing extra work to take out an already-existing feature.

Volcynika

Panda Bear said:

I use a mic and do not use voicebinds. I'm just arguing against people saying no one even listens to voice binds. Advantages and disadvantages to both sides.

Voicebind - spamming can be annoying. What is more annoying is people playing their shitty music or spamming some youtube video / someone screaming through their mic. I haven't checked recently but it is not a quick process to mute someone on L4D2. While this is not an issue when playing with friends (for the most part), it still exists. I'd rather deal with voicebind spamming than mics spamming stuff ruining my personal experience.

It just seems removing people's ability to voicebind really doesn't help anyone.

Nabs

It's too bad they took 'em away from people who use 'em. Maybe you should just blame Jenga.

and i have joined the dark side guyz. i am now pro-mic. when people w/o mics join up, i immediately call the all voice team. i don't know what i'd do w/o morningbus' beat box, or pandas 'hit me up' and 'ether' tank music.

Nabs said:
and i have joined the dark side guyz. i am now pro-mic. when people w/o mics join up, i immediately call the all voice team. i don't know what i'd do w/o morningbus' beat box, or pandas 'hit me up' and 'ether' tank music.

Seriously, Last night was such a pain in the ass because Panda and I were the only ones with Mics. Luckily we were against a bunch of nubs and it didn't matter. :3

I like the voice binds, especially Red's use of them. It seems pointless to take them out. I've had a lot more instances of people annoying the crap out of me over the mic, because they wont shut the fuck up, then I have had people spamming voice binds.

fake edit: The fuck? Where did all my friends in my friends list go on steam?

What about the issue of people using voice binds to purposely confuse other players? I mean Valve spent a lot of time and effort in creating a fluid voice system where characters automatically point out key items and special infected. These are conditional alerts that are meant to supplement regular typing/mic use. If I were a brand new player and I joined a game where the other players were all shouting "Pills here!" when there were no pills around I would think Valve had done a poor job on the situational alerts.

I mean what if TF2 allowed voice binds? I would never know when a spy was actually sapping an engineer's sentry or when he was just dicking around. The voices are supposed to replace the need for HUD/Announcer alerts, not actual forms of player communication.

BuddhaRockstar said:
What about the issue of people using voice binds to purposely confuse other players? I mean Valve spent a lot of time and effort in creating a fluid voice system where characters automatically point out key items and special infected. These are conditional alerts that are meant to supplement regular typing/mic use. If I were a brand new player and I joined a game where the other players were all shouting "Pills here!" when there were no pills around I would think Valve had done a poor job on the situational alerts.

I mean what if TF2 allowed voice binds? I would never know when a spy was actually sapping an engineer's sentry or when he was just dicking around. The voices are supposed to replace the need for HUD/Announcer alerts, not actual forms of player communication.
Yeah, because you can't confuse people with the mic. Oh wait...no...

RocketDarkness said:
Yeah, because you can't confuse people with the mic. Oh wait...no...

You definitely can, but at least you know when a player is doing it and when the game is doing it. When vert says "pills here" I can be like "well it's vert so he's probably lying cause he's a douche" but when Ellis says "Pills here!" I know there's a bottle of pills nearby that the game (not player) is trying to alert me to.

Top Bottom