• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

I thought they offered those because the voice actors were available and they had extra time. They've done that in the past for custom campaigns. I don't think there's much to read out of that, other than they want to show they support the original L4D, as well.

The lag of tagline might be the same reason the poster had weird looking heads. It's not finished. It's up in the air, honestly. Zoey still looks like a man in The Last Stand poster.

derFeef

No Tagline - what can this mean.

- not finished yet
- story twist like different endings (original cast survives, dies)
- some sort of community incorporation
- ?

xero273

lol that was a short clip... :lol tag line is Nobody Survives Forever and a hint at someone dying in L4D1. No release date was mentioned.

Yeah they mention you'll run into 3 of the original L4D characters in The Passing and that in the new DLC for L4D1 somebody will have to sacrifice themself to save the others.

I'm guessing Bill. They already mentioned interactions between Francis and Zoey. Bill seems like the kinda guy who would be ready to sacrifice his life to save the others, being the oldest and all.

If this is the case I wonder what they'll do with future DLC for L4D1...guessing it wont get anymore.

GoldandBlue said:
Yeah they mention you'll run into 3 of the original L4D characters in The Passing and that in the new DLC for L4D1 somebody will have to sacrifice themself to save the others.

I'm guessing Bill. They already mentioned interactions between Francis and Zoey. Bill seems like the kinda guy who would be ready to sacrifice his life to save the others, being the oldest and all.

If this is the case I wonder what they'll do with future DLC for L4D1...guessing it wont get anymore.

Plus they didn't have his voice actor in Crash Course, so if they can't get his voice anymore they probably just thought it was better to kill him off than use old clips.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
And while I feel happiness for the first time in as many months as there are gray hairs striping my head of hazelnut, I wonder: am I not a penguin on display at the Montreal Biodome?
100_0297.jpg
Who is this? Who is this man? He looks different. He looks differently at me. His eyes are welling with tears. Has he come to take me home? Perhaps to feed me a fish for lunch and dinner and buy me a refrigerator to live in?

I'm not like the other penguins here and he knows it. He knows it. His mouth is open wide. He is going to tell the other people that I need to get out of this small world. Sure it is cold, but can't I desire more? Can't I too don a backpack and explore the world, or even just the local fish market? I'm so good, please.

The man is snapping his head back and now abruptly forward. He is sneezing. He is looking at me again. He is smiling. He is turning. He is walking away.

Will you come back for me?

So, yeah. Good game tonight.

Sibylus

Banned
So that's why the original four are in silhouettes in the original poster, they didn't want to give away the twist.

I'm calling that it's Francis that doesn't make it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
BuddhaRockstar said:
Plus they didn't have his voice actor in Crash Course, so if they can't get his voice anymore they probably just thought it was better to kill him off than use old clips.

Oh snap, I didn't even notice that.

But since they're talking about having L4D1 content that allows you to play through the character's death, would Bill just be mute for all of that?

Shake Appeal said:
But since they're talking about having L4D1 content that allows you to play through the character's death, would Bill just be mute for all of that?

Actually, scratch what I said- Bill's voice actor, Jim French, is listed for Left 4 Dead 2 on IMDB. As are all three of the other original cast.

Botolf said:
So that's why the original four are in silhouettes in the original poster, they didn't want to give away the twist.

I'm calling that it's Francis that doesn't make it.
But they already confirmed Francis along with Zoey for The Passing. Since Francis is gonna have some conversations going on with Nick.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
BuddhaRockstar said:
Actually, scratch what I said- Bill's voice actor, Jim French, is listed for Left 4 Dead 2 on IMDB. As are all three of the other original cast.

But did he record anything for Crash Course? Or were you wrong about that? I can't think of anything noticeable he said during like I can for Francis/Zoey/Louis.

My guess is that the passing will show one character getting killed (maybe random? maybe fixed), to save the others... while in the l4d1 version will allow any character to make the sacrifice (actually it sounded like the l4d1 version will be the 'idealized' version where the person making the sacrifice can survive for gameplay purposes).

The whole thing reminds me of the HL2 mod Zombie Master map called Red Queen where one player has to sacrifice themselves in this room that seals off and kill them with gas in order for the other players to escape.

wayward archer said:
My guess is that the passing will show one character getting killed (maybe random? maybe fixed), to save the others... while in the l4d1 version will allow any character to make the sacrifice (actually it sounded like the l4d1 version will be the 'idealized' version where the person making the sacrifice can survive for gameplay purposes).
The Passing wont show anyone die as you'll run into only 3 of the original survivors. From what I understand rewatching that GTTV video, you're right about L4D1. You'll get to choose how it plays out in the game but the comic they're going to release will play out their ideal version of how it goes.

I guess if all this is true about Bill's voice actor, the comic could be so they can write some dialogue for his sacrifice since they can't do it in game.

Sibylus

Banned
So... anyone can theoretically sacrifice themselves in the L4D1 DLC (as it'll be player controlled), but the idealized/canon version will carry over in The Passing and this comic.

Sounds like L4D1 might be "bid farewell" with its new campaign. A full 5 map dealio perhaps.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Why would they let you choose who dies and then provide a "canon" version. I hate when games do that. Just make it so that the "canon" person who dies always dies.

Stallion Free said:
Why would they let you choose who dies and then provide a "canon" version. I hate when games do that. Just make it so that the "canon" person who dies always dies.

Cause it might not be fun for the players?

Which should go over any kind of story, especially when L4D never really had one.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Doesn't it seem a bit obvious if it would be Bill to die? The typical "old man who has already lived a good life" type character? It has to be Francis cause he's the asshole who will do something nice for once.

Sibylus

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Disclaimer: I don't know if this is actually the case, I'm speculating.

If the canon death always happens in play, maybe that doomed character gets a bonus or something during the campaign so he/she doesn't become perpetually picked last.

Such as being able to store gas/propane/oxygen on their backs with a right-click while holding it, something everybody else can't do.

Sibylus

Banned
GoldandBlue said:
But they already confirmed Francis along with Zoey for The Passing. Since Francis is gonna have some conversations going on with Nick.
They confirmed that? Sauce, I wanna read! :0

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
For all we know, they have the person die in the end cutscene, as the escape vehicle is leaving. Which would completely discount your "fun" argument and the "no one wants to play the character" argument.

Botolf said:
They confirmed that? Sauce, I wanna read! :0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llJuCifaDQM#t=0m20s

In the beginning the writer mention Nick and Francis will have some interaction and Ellis might develop a crush on Zoey.
Stallion Free said:
For all we know, they have the person die in the end cutscene, as the escape vehicle is leaving. Which would completely discount your "fun" argument and the "no one wants to play the character" argument.
Watch the GameTrailer TV interview. They said it wont play out in some cutscene and you'll get to choose.

Sibylus

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Chet more or less discredited a cutscene in the interview he gave yesterday, so it's probably going to happen in-game. Odds are whoever dies won't make it onto the escape vehicle.

GoldandBlue said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llJuCifaDQM#t=0m20s

In the beginning the writer mention Nick and Francis will have some interaction and Ellis might develop a crush on Zoey.
Thank ye, sir.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Botolf said:
Chet more or less discredited a cutscene in the interview he gave yesterday, so it's probably going to happen in-game. Odds are whoever dies won't make it onto the escape vehicle.

Well it's going to happen during the finale at some point and its going to be as close to the escape as possible because that's stupid to have one person forced to die and have to spectate. So my points still stand.

Sibylus

Banned
Well duh, I just mean it makes sense if they don't step onto the vehicle with the rest. Holding open a gate and pulling a Father Grigori, etc.

Probably would make sense if the sacrificed player didn't count toward the escape trigger, so the vehicle could leave before the player was actually dead (but the final outcome would be known regardless). Maybe transfer the player over to bot control as the vehicle was pulling out so you could see him/her go down fighting.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Botolf said:
Well duh, I just mean it makes sense if they don't step onto the vehicle with the rest. Holding open a gate and pulling a Father Grigori, etc.

Probably would make sense if the sacrificed player didn't count toward the escape trigger, so the vehicle could leave before the player was actually dead (but the final outcome would be known regardless). Maybe transfer the player over to bot control as the vehicle was pulling out so you could see him/her go down fighting.

Or there will be two escape triggers, the three entering the escape vehicle and another trigger where the person does their sacrifice.

L4D survivor dying doesn't make much sense in L4D sequence of events. In the end, all four get rescued by the goddamn military in Blood Harvest...

Sibylus

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Or there will be two escape triggers, the three entering the escape vehicle and another trigger where the person does their sacrifice.
They'd definitely have to be tight time-wise to work well in Versus as well as Coop. Or if the sacrificial player has to run a ways to get to his trigger, the others could protect him through a fence or something similarly bullet-permeable.

Hold the gate -> Run to the access switch as other survivors run parallel across fence protecting him -> Open access -> Survivors run into escape vehicle and end sequence runs, zombies swarm the area in great numbers

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Botolf said:
They'd definitely have to be tight time-wise to work well in Versus as well as Coop. Or if the sacrificial player has to run a ways to get to his trigger, the others could protect him through a fence or something similarly bullet-permeable.

Hold the gate -> Run to the access switch as other survivors run parallel across fence protecting him -> Open access -> Survivors run into escape vehicle and end sequence runs, zombies swarm the area in great numbers

Perfect. Tense, works well in both play modes, and makes sense in the survivors can die during any given level from normal play context.

Twig

Banned
zombieshavebrains said:
Doesn't it seem a bit obvious if it would be Bill to die? The typical "old man who has already lived a good life" type character? It has to be Francis cause he's the asshole who will do something nice for once.
But that's just as cliché!

The black dude always dies, the old dude always looks out for his younger companions, and the asshole always redeems himself in the end. The least cliché sacrifice would be Zoey. Just because she's a chick.

Top Bottom