• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

ashism said:
Who is playing? I am bored.
I'll join too! My steamID is ThaiGrocer. haha. go figure.

Red Scarlet said:
Oh? Yeah, whenever I change my tank music it would always restart after however long the original song was (so :52 for normal tank and 1:18 for finale tank).
That command should update the master audio cache in the maps/audiocache folder. The master cache contains the first .125 seconds of each file in the /sound folder and other information about them to precache. I think you've done this already: If you're replacing something that loops, the new wav file needs to be looped with a free program like Wavosaur (cute name!) or sound forge. If you open official audio files like tank.wav with one of those programs, you'll see the loop points or some kind of other marking in it.

snd_updateaudiocache should be reliable enough in L4D2 to detect/update new lengths and loop points. The client might freeze up a bit, but the console will give you a list of what files have been updated when it's finished. Also requires a client restart. If that doesn't work (and it really should), then you'll have to use the dreaded and time-consuming snd_rebuildaudiocache console command. I wouldn't recommend that. :lol

ThaiGrocer said:
L4D2 and L4D2 four pack is 50% off 'til Thursday 4PM PDT. Good times. Many suspect DLC will be out Friday.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3635/

And the title of the latest official blog post is "Passing" the savings onto you, so i'm guessing it's pretty close.

Also they mention there will be multiple new game modes in the passing, not just one new mode:

left 4 dead blog said:
But hold on, 'cause we ain't done! Coming out this Spring for Left 4 Dead 2 is the brand new DLC "The Passing", which contains:

A Wicked Witch Bride!
A Gargantuan M60!
A Slashing Golf Club!
And Introducing The Fallen Survivor!
Meet 3 Left 4 Dead 1 Survivors!
New Game Modes!

Was that a typo? Game Modes? Didn't we mean Game MODE? Did we mean to include that "S"?!?!?

YES WE DID!

This sale ends Thursday! so RUN, don't walk, to where you are already sitting reading this, and buy your copy of Left 4 Dead 2 TODAY!

Also there's a rumor that the "fallen survivor" is supposed to be bill. He kinda wears the same jacket in the few pictures i've seen of him (assuming they even modified the fallen survivor model they already had but didn't use in l4d2), but I highly doubt this is true.

LovingSteam said:
Just updated the OP and will continue to work on it as we inch closer to the release of The Passing.

Thanks for that bit of info. It's supposed to come out this month right? Surprised there hasn't been more hype for it by Valve and EA. The L4D AND the L4D2 characters, a new mode, a new weapon. Haven't even announced a date or price point yet. Surprising. This is Valve though...

Plaguefox said:
:(

edit: "Almost guaranteed to be Bill (old man.) Unfortunatly, the voice actor for Bill is in prison, so it makes the most sense to kill him off."

Holy shit is this true? I was about to ask how on earth the same guy who voiced Bill, Father Grigori and the Lost Coast fella wasn't able to make new lines for Crash Course. Which I also only just now heard as an explanation for why it must be bill.

Nooooooo...

Bill is my favorite character out of the 2 games and the only character I play as in L4D1. I'm gonna be sad to see him go. Looks like I'll have to have a proper send off for the war vet if it turns out to be true. Bill's not gonna die quietly, I'll send him out with a bang.

I think the new modes are going to be competitive campaign and survival. Basically your team of 4 vs another team of 4 to see who can get to the end the fast, or in survival's case, who can hold out the longest. You'll either see transparent "ghosts" of the other team or there will be some kind of onscreen bar with each team having a marker on it so you know how far ahead/behind you are.

Rubezh said:
Bill's voice actor is in jail??? The fuck???

Pretty sure that was a hoax started by destructoid... but who knows.

http://www.destructoid.com/left-4-dead-star-suspected-of-robbery-shot-by-cops-117304.phtml

wayward archer said:
Also there's a rumor that the "fallen survivor" is supposed to be bill. He kinda wears the same jacket in the few pictures i've seen of him (assuming they even modified the fallen survivor model they already had but didn't use in l4d2), but I highly doubt this is true.
The Fallen Survivor model has been in the game since release. He's in the opening movie too. He's definitely not Bill.

Jay Shadow said:
The Fallen Survivor model has been in the game since release. He's in the opening movie too. He's definitely not Bill.

Yeah I know, the fallen survivor was supposed to be whitaker originally (gun store owner), and the original model he had a different hat plus is wearing a few bandoleers of bullets over his shoulders, but rumor has it they've modified the model to look a little more like bill by changing it's hat and some of his fatigue colors slightly.

Like I said earlier I doubt it's true myself.

xero273

It's wierd that achievement list for 360 version hasn't been leaked yet. Unless The Passing is free for 360 which explains why achievement list has not been leaked.

Red Scarlet

Burger Tank to the Rescue!

ThaiGrocer said:
I'll join too! My steamID is ThaiGrocer. haha. go figure.

That command should update the master audio cache in the maps/audiocache folder. The master cache contains the first .125 seconds of each file in the /sound folder and other information about them to precache. I think you've done this already: If you're replacing something that loops, the new wav file needs to be looped with a free program like Wavosaur (cute name!) or sound forge. If you open official audio files like tank.wav with one of those programs, you'll see the loop points or some kind of other marking in it.

snd_updateaudiocache should be reliable enough in L4D2 to detect/update new lengths and loop points. The client might freeze up a bit, but the console will give you a list of what files have been updated when it's finished. Also requires a client restart. If that doesn't work (and it really should), then you'll have to use the dreaded and time-consuming snd_rebuildaudiocache console command. I wouldn't recommend that. :lol

Thanks, that worked just fine. I was wondering why I'd get the full song on part 1, then after you posted I figured it's probably when I had to do the snd_updateaudiocache in 1 when Crash Course came out.

I'm looking for some folks to go in on a four-pack with. Any takers?

(Alternatively, anyone know a good forum to find people looking to team up for the purchase?)

TruthJunky said:
I'm looking for some folks to go in on a four-pack with. Any takers?

(Alternatively, anyone know a good forum to find people looking to team up for the purchase?)

There are folks in the Steam thread who may want to team up for a 4-pack. That or the official Steam forums.

Daigoro

thats right, the Rochelle avatar is back. F the haters!

i wanna play Advanced Realism too. sounds like fun, someone include me! i haven't played this game in too long. still have a lot of stuff to complete on the PC version. i still havent beat expert realism on the PC version...

im on vacation starting tomorrow for about 6 days so ill be around. lets play.

looking forward to the update coming up. hope it comes out soon.

Daigoro

Red Scarlet said:
Yeah let's play sometime! Himu wants to try Hard Rain again tomorrow.

i might be around if i get a nap in. after a 10hr shift i have to replace a bunch of pipes under my bathtub so i might be a little tired late night. might have some artificial vacation energy left. we'll see.

but Thurs, Sat, and Sun i should be around for sure.

Bill is the most experienced guy in L4D...he even encountered witches way before Louis and others did. If he bites the bullet, not much hope left for any other survivor except maybe Nick because he's a slick motherfucker. I'm kinda disappointed at this news because I grew attached to L4D cast. Ho ho ho.
Twig said:
view_320200_1_1249026451.jpg

Mar

So I guess I'm the only one saying Francis is the coolest character.

I hate Ellis. I have to use him because all the other characters were claimed by the time I loaded the game up the first time. We call them yellow screens of death. When my dumbass character pops up an entire screen full of yellow text when you're trying to kill zombies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
vertopci said:

He actually could have some kind of muscular dystrophy that limits the movements in his arms and hands, leaving a gamepad a better choice.

Red Scarlet

WickedLaharl said:
fucking steam sales are going to be the end of me.

i dunno why i even bought this for PC since i can't play FPSes with a keyboard and mouse :(

Have you tried different configurations? I can't use WASD at all.

Top Bottom