• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Finally got Parish achievement on the 360. I don't know why it took so long.

Although I'm not sure how we got it, the chopper took off with a Tank inside . . . I'm not sure if we'll really survive that trip. :lol

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
vertopci said:
Now I feel like an assole :(

Don't worry. I'd imagine if that were the case he'd have bought a 360 controller by now, especially considering how Left 4 Dead natively supports it.

Just remember, everyone comes from different circumstances and respecting those differences is what leads to lasting friendships.

TheMoreYouKnow.gif

WickedLaharl said:
fucking steam sales are going to be the end of me.

i dunno why i even bought this for PC since i can't play FPSes with a keyboard and mouse :(
Well, lots of games now allow you to use the 360 controller. Bioshock 1 does but I don't know why they dropped it from Bioshock 2. Ghostbusters and Batman work well.

speculawyer said:
Finally got Parish achievement on the 360. I don't know why it took so long.

Although I'm not sure how we got it, the chopper took off with a Tank inside . . . I'm not sure if we'll really survive that trip. :lol
Everyone gets a pet tank in their chopper in first try :p

"can't" was the wrong word to use. i could do it, just not very well at all.

never tried to play games with a k/m until this year and so far i haven't had much luck getting used to the controls when playing FPSes.

morningbus

WickedLaharl said:
"can't" was the wrong word to use. i could do it, just not very well at all.

never tried to play games with a k/m until this year and so far i haven't had much luck getting used to the controls when playing FPSes.

I'd say stick with it. I only started playing FPS games on the PC less than 2 years ago, and it was terrible at first. Eventually you'll find some hand positions that work.

Or you could try and mod your setup like Red Scarlett does. I'm pretty sure she has incorporated a rotary phone into her configuration, so it is pretty flexible.

morningbus

All I remember is that one time you told me what your setup was and my brain just couldn't even register it. It is an absolute talent, like being able to write excellent poetry in a foreign language.

just WASD.

the biggest problem for me is when i have to hold down 2 keys for diagonal movement and it only gets worse when i'm trying to move, aim, and say reload at the same time.

my brain is just wired for using dual analog. it will take a lot of time to rewire!

Red Scarlet

I just cannot use ws or something like that for forward and backward, I just hit them both too much. In 2002 someone told me what she used for Counter-Strike, so I tried it and still use it today. I'm not pro at any fps or anything, but the config I use lets me actually play and move. Here's my setup that divides movement to each hand (left/right on the keyboard, forward/backward with the mouse):

http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/l4dcontrols.png

My left hand normally rests on, from pinky to thumb: left control, left shift/capslock, a, s, left alt/spacebar. I just shoot with my pinky instead of click. I use that setup in CS/HL/HL2/Portal/L4D/L4D2/Bioshock and any other fps I'd play.

There's no telling what will work for you, but if movement is your issue like it was mine, there's who knows how many combinations you could try to find one that works out for you.

Nabs

i still think you're pulling a massive prank on all of us. it's crazy how you can play w/ those controls, and play well.

edit: and yeah, stick w/ kb&mouse, it'll click soon. if not, just use a 360 controller *shrug*

theMrCravens said:
if Bill goes kaput, I'll just mod him back and remove Rochelle

*Bill dies*
Nick: "There goes repopulating the Earth."

It's just like an EmCeeGramr fanfic.

Mar said:
I hate Ellis. I have to use him because all the other characters were claimed by the time I loaded the game up the first time. We call them yellow screens of death. When my dumbass character pops up an entire screen full of yellow text when you're trying to kill zombies.

Maybe, you could try playing without the closed captioning? I have to say I'm not really fond on how L4D players crutch on the CC, it feels a little like a cheat when there are already big audio cues for each of the infected types. I know the conversation's been had before, but complaining about the CC doing its job...

Mar

Red Scarlet said:
I just cannot use ws or something like that for forward and backward, I just hit them both too much. In 2002 someone told me what she used for Counter-Strike, so I tried it and still use it today. I'm not pro at any fps or anything, but the config I use lets me actually play and move. Here's my setup that divides movement to each hand (left/right on the keyboard, forward/backward with the mouse):

My left hand normally rests on, from pinky to thumb: left control, left shift/capslock, a, s, left alt/spacebar. I just shoot with my pinky instead of click. I use that setup in CS/HL/HL2/Portal/L4D/L4D2/Bioshock and any other fps I'd play.

There's no telling what will work for you, but if movement is your issue like it was mine, there's who knows how many combinations you could try to find one that works out for you.

Bwahhh? How... Why? What? That's just an absolute crazy set up. In all the time I've been gaming I haven't seen something as weird as that since DOOM 1. Where people would shuffle their character along by repeatedly pushing the mouse forward.

Kulock said:
Maybe, you could try playing without the closed captioning? I have to say I'm not really fond on how L4D players crutch on the CC, it feels a little like a cheat when there are already big audio cues for each of the infected types. I know the conversation's been had before, but complaining about the CC doing its job...

Not an option for me. My surround headphones don't work that great with xbox live voice chat, so I have to have the game sounds on almost zero to hear speech from other players.

Besides, playing on expert pretty much means you have to use every advantage you can take.

Red Scarlet

I don't like the caption things, but most folks do I think.

AFAIK I have access to all the same keys with my setup, they're just in a different place. It's not too bad, we did Swamp Fever in 2:30 just now!

I'd fraps going to my setup and playing but it'd be a big video probably.

Hope you find a control scheme that works for you WL.

andycapps

Not a big fan of Rochelle at all. So far it's Ellis > Coach > Nick > Rochelle. First game it was Francis > Bill > Louis > Zoey. They just don't do much in their games to develop the female characters, IMO of course. I do like that they're not caricatures of females in their figures, but they're also just not interesting, so far. Alyx in HL2 is their best job at doing a female character justice.

Tokubetsu

Red Scarlet is officially the weirdest FPS player confirmed? I know WASD works for some simply because they forced themselves to get used to it but it works for me because of advanced typing in grade school back in Jamaica. :lol

I don't hate Rochelle and Zoey but they sure aren't as interesting to me. I just find their personalities pretty boring but in the end I don't mind having to play as them (although I've stuck to using Francis/Coach.) As for my female friends I play L4D with, they all hate playing as Zoey or Rochelle. :lol

GoldandBlue said:
I don't hate Rochelle and Zoey but they sure aren't as interesting to me. I just find their personalities pretty boring but in the end I don't mind having to play as them (although I've stuck to using Francis/Coach.) As for my female friends I play L4D with, they all hate playing as Zoey or Rochelle. :lol
Really? All the girls I play with automatically pick them.

Red Scarlet said:

That just blew my mind. I watched you play and you're a pro like any other. Its amazing how different setups can work too because ever since HL, WSAD has been the staple for me. My hands are too big for the A/S/CTRL/SHIFT/SPACE configuration, and my pinky sucks too. I just don't have much coordination with it :p

andycapps

Twig said:
The Left 4 Dead community is sexist confirmed at lunch.

:lol I just don't think they had enough dialog during L4D 1 and 2 to get me attached to their female characters. But yeah, I'm glad that Valve didn't design them with boobs as big as a boomer's gut, I just thought the best lines have been by Francis and Bill in the first, and Ellis and Coach in the second. After that it's pretty much a tossup over which one I'm least attached to.

Or it could just possibly be off-balanced in the number of survivors representing each gender. You have two women to choose from compared to six men. It might also be somewhat important to see Zoey and Rochelle have a dialog exchange.
2aj0upi.jpg

ThaiGrocer said:
Or it could just possibly be off-balanced in the number of survivors representing each gender. You have two women to choose from compared to six men. It might also be somewhat important to see Zoey and Rochelle have a dialog exchange.
http://i39.tinypic.com/2aj0upi.jpg[/IMG.][/QUOTE]
What map is that?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
WickedLaharl said:
fucking steam sales are going to be the end of me.

i dunno why i even bought this for PC since i can't play FPSes with a keyboard and mouse :(
I bought it due to the sale and I have never been able to play any game with a keyboard.

Since Quake 3 I've had a USB controller in my left hand (fingers on d-pad and triggers) and my right hand on the mouse. :lol
It used to work perfectly with Jedi Academy and that had way more keys to map!

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Anyone else have this problem with the AI?

That was my first time playing that campaign (finally beat the game yay!) so i didn't know exactly where to go/what to do. But the AI in both this mission and the bridge frustrated the crap out of me. They literally left me after i healed myself in the video. I still love the game don't get me wrong but i think i might need to start finding human friends to play with.

MMaRsu

Red Scarlet said:

Wtf :p. Weirdest control scheme ever!

But hey, whatever works ^^.

Mudkips

Banned
If Bill dies I will rage so hard.
I will uninstall the game if The Passing comes out for L4D2 and Zoey, Louis, and Francis just show up, revealing LOL BILL DIED SOMEHOW. If someone's gonna die at least let us play through it first to find out.

Consider:
Play The Passing
See 3 survivors from L4D1
Know X died
Play L4D1 final campaign already knowing who dies

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

Playing through it for the reveal of who and how must happen first!

andycapps

ThaiGrocer said:

That's kind of what I'm saying. They're unfairly represented in number, and the dialog that they have is just "Help! Smoker! Boomer! We better get going, guys!" They don't have the crazy stories that Ellis has, they don't hate everything like Francis, etc. They just don't have anything that sets them apart..

I feel like I'm thinking about this way too much. :lol

Mudkips said:
If Bill dies I will rage so hard.
I will uninstall the game if The Passing comes out for L4D2 and Zoey, Louis, and Francis just show up, revealing LOL BILL DIED SOMEHOW. If someone's gonna die at least let us play through it first to find out.

They're going to have to do it as a movie or as something the characters say in the beginning in their dialog. I don't see how they can have 4 people start the campaign and then one of them die and it just be like, "LOL, Bills's dead. You could respawn him until now. But he's REALLY dead now."

Mar

So, let's say I have a Mac (I have a Mac), and I'm waiting for Steam to launch on there. If I went out and bought retail copies of L4D, can they somehow be transferred into the Steam system so that I can download the games on Steam instead of installing them from the physical media?

Just wondering because I'd like to own physical copies of the games but don't want to open the boxes (yes, I'm a strange strange man).

Twig

Banned
Botolf said:
Rochelle - News reporter jokes.
Zoey - Give her a job, have her make jokes about it.

Hire me Valve.
The first could be done but the second is stupid.

Never hire him Valve.

Mar said:
So, let's say I have a Mac (I have a Mac), and I'm waiting for Steam to launch on there. If I went out and bought retail copies of L4D, can they somehow be transferred into the Steam system so that I can download the games on Steam instead of installing them from the physical media?

Just wondering because I'd like to own physical copies of the games but don't want to open the boxes (yes, I'm a strange strange man).

For all Valve games yes, you can enter your game key into Steam and install it just like any other DD game. I'm not sure what you mean about opening the boxes.. cause you'll have to open it to get the CD key of course.

Nabs

Mar said:

you just need your cd key

Raydeen

Princess Skittles said:
Oh wow, I use mouse1/mouse2 for forward and backwards too. My keys are different (naturally) but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one this config works for! I could never change it.

I use Mouse 2 (or 3) for forward and Q-straft left / E straft right and W-backwards. Each to their own.

Red Scarlet

Botolf said:
Judging by her enthusiasm for copy paper, I intuit that Zoey worked in an office.

Hire these two on the same day that I am hired, then fire them.

She could be a professional farter, too. Or maybe that's Francis's job.

I like all the characters except Bill, never had any binds for him. I don't dislike him, just don't like playing as him. I didn't like Rochelle for awhile but she's alright now. Zoey/Louis/Coach are my favorites though.

It's just a different placement of the same stuff y'all press though!

Top Bottom