• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Shoogoo

Sega1991 said:
Yes, for about as long as it takes to beat The Passing once.

Left4Dead and Left4Dead 2 are great games but they're still not the "infinitely replayable" games Valve promised. At least, not to me. I've still never really gotten in to Versus, Survival or Scavenge, so for me it's basically "play a campaign with my friends once every two or three months".

I doubt The Passing will change that.

Try Versus, for the love of Valve. Get into it. That's the game. Campaign is just to get used to the mechanics.

Red Scarlet

Someone hit you with an awesome car on map 2 though. Stallion wasn't the one that startled the witch on map 1 or 2, either! I think that was Nabs?

andycapps

Sega1991 said:
Yes, for about as long as it takes to beat The Passing once.

Left4Dead and Left4Dead 2 are great games but they're still not the "infinitely replayable" games Valve promised. At least, not to me. I've still never really gotten in to Versus, Survival or Scavenge, so for me it's basically "play a campaign with my friends once every two or three months".

I doubt The Passing will change that.

Start playing with people from here and I think your mind might change.

Whoever suggested to me to try out scavenge, I kind of hate you because now that's all I do. :lol I'm trying to get used to this prior to doing versus because it seems like a warmup for that. Had good games two days ago, but man, last night was horrible. One game after another with horrible players or people with no mics. I did have one where we had competitive teams on both sides and everyone had mics. Nobody's ever online though on my friend list so most of the time it's just pub games, which suck.

Red Scarlet

vertopci said:
I still blame Stallion

Blame his dad, lol.

Supposedly Himu wants to try The Parish for the first time later today. There aren't too many tricky jump spots so I think I'll be okay this time!

andycapps

Red Scarlet said:
Blame his dad, lol.

Supposedly Himu wants to try The Parish for the first time later today. There aren't too many tricky jump spots so I think I'll be okay this time!

Man, I still want to catch a game with you guys. Maybe it'll work out tonight, but tonight is Lost and I have grocery shopping to do before that.

Nabs

6jegza.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lol so we were about to start a VS game and Nabs told people that the Passing was out and I confirmed it and all 6 people went to restart the game to get the update. They all post in this thread. They should be ashamed of themselves.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Red Scarlet said:
I'm guessing team morningbus did not do so well..

Why would you assume that?!

Team Morning is PRO. I have my own line of gaming mouse pads coming out.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
GG tonight, it was nice winning for once. No demo because the Fraps "save the last 30 second" feature was screwing up when I alt-tabbed and forcing me to exit the game. The feature is kinda fail because the files (~30 seconds) were coming out 2.5-4 gigs in size when recording 1080p at half-size/60 fps. Normal recording takes up nowhere near that space. I guess I'll just stick with demos.

Nabs

i didn't get a chance to record much of the game. i'll try to throw the clips together and see if its worth posting.

we spent the whole game trying to quad-cap. we did alright... it all came down to the first map.

Red Scarlet

:lol oh Witches, why must you be so zany?

Well, we survived Hard Rain now, so done with all those. But I was a real biotch to the guy playing w/ me. Of course we won HR2 when I was scolding him like 7x during the map, too. :|

Red Scarlet

I've always preferred campaign. If L4D2 was an MMO, I'd go with PVE over PVP. I get too pissed off at vs if someone screws up, so it's isn't much fun for my teammates. And now without the vocalization things, I think I'd be too detrimental to whatever team I am on.

vertopci

Twig said:
Why don't you guys just play co-op instead...

BREAKING: differences in opinions and preferences

Because I'm not the one trying to make my mode artificially harder? I was just suggesting that if they wanted a challenge they should play versus. :/

CEVO is made for balancing, so don't try to use that

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Teknoman said:
Forget making the game harder. Campaign realisim Advanced and beyond is insane enough.

Not pro enough. No defibs, reduced items, red tanks and super hordes.

Red Scarlet

Oh jeez, not this again. I prefer campaign to vs. I always have. I thought it would be fun to try playing with 1 other person and no bots. It's me and him against the world. It is an enjoyable way for he and I to test our skills by knowing it is just us two there. It was fun to see if it was doable in both games, if we were 'up to snuff' to complete them. You enjoy playing vs more. I don't.

If I wanted to be a jerk I'd just say vs is for people that give up on campaign because they want to just go to the next level instead of try again if they screw up. Let's not play the jerk game, vert.

Twig

Banned
vertopci said:
Because I'm not the one trying to make my mode artificially harder? I was just suggesting that if they wanted a challenge they should play versus. :/

CEVO is made for balancing, so don't try to use that
ha ha ha

Sibylus

Banned
Day 3 of the moving marathon ends. PC is set up at the new place, I'm now on a wireless connection, and I am pleased that I haven't missed the release of The Passing.

feel

Red Scarlet said:
I've always preferred campaign. If L4D2 was an MMO, I'd go with PVE over PVP. I get too pissed off at vs if someone screws up, so it's isn't much fun for my teammates. And now without the vocalization things, I think I'd be too detrimental to whatever team I am on.
my friends and I prefer campaign way more too. We know it won't ever happen because there's a huge player base for it, but we wish they would just get rid of versus in the next left 4 dead, it holds the campaign possibilities back a lot.

Red Scarlet

They've mentioned new modes coming out when the passing does, and some people have said some 'competitive campaign' but from how I keep picturing it, that doesn't sound like much fun.

With vs I tend to go in phases..I'll play it a lot then get blahed out and just stick to campaign again for awhile until I get that itch again. I'd like to play with vert and his friends again but I don't like my ping at the server and now they tend to use that mumble thing, so I think I'd be an even bigger detriment to whoever's team I'd be on.

For that reason I kind of prefer just watching, and when they get Source TV going, I'll probably just watch random people play while I am playing something else on my capture card/monitor, like I do with demos now.

Sibylus

Banned
Anywhere I can read about this mode?

I'm a fan of competitive multiplayer modes, but I do prefer Coop to Versus. Maybe I'd like a slower-paced competitive mode, maybe something on a non-linear map that involves objectives and unique map attributes. If you've played Zombie Panic Source or Zombie Master, think of something like that.

Red Scarlet said:
:lol oh Witches, why must you be so zany?

Well, we survived Hard Rain now, so done with all those. But I was a real biotch to the guy playing w/ me. Of course we won HR2 when I was scolding him like 7x during the map, too. :|
Those witch escapades were amazing

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Letters said:
my friends and I prefer campaign way more too. We know it won't ever happen because there's a huge player base for it, but we wish they would just get rid of versus in the next left 4 dead, it holds the campaign possibilities back a lot.

I think you mean co-op holds VS back. Valve clearly favors co-op in all of the Left 4 Dead 2 campaigns and it really shows.

Here is tonights game for anyone interested: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4AIOU32C

andycapps

I think versus and co-op both serve their purposes.. Advanced realism or expert is nothing to laugh at and are very challenging, but being good at versus is a huge challenge as well. Getting all 4 people on a side to work together is pretty huge, and both can't be done easily with pubs.

I'd like to throw scavenge into the ring and say I really enjoy that a lot. :D

Red Scarlet

It was kind of funny earlier, as a warmup for trying to complete L4D1 on expert with us both surviving (I did not escape NM, DA, or BH), we played 3 player DC on AR with Botolf and got all the maps on the first try, then it was 2-player expert No Mercy, and we got through it completely with 1 restart..it should have been 0 but I kind of jumped at a bad time: http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/woopsjump.avi

Aside from that, it felt like a 'casual relaxation break' game in comparison. I think it largely has to do with stuff like the spitter and how it seems there are multiple SI more often as well as along with regular non-finale Tanks. 1 is still a bunch of fun either way, though.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Saying all the game modes are good is just bad form andy. You have to bicker like a whiny idiot over which one is more hardcore. Stop playing the game wrong!

Top Bottom