• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I noticed something odd with L4D2 today while playing.

I've been getting weird performance in this game forever, mostly it runs really fluid, no matter the zombie count or anything.

Today I decided I wanted to play with Vsync on, I selected it, with Triple Buffering as well, lo and behold, the game was a solid 60FPS, no matter what, no dipping or anything, I changed back to vsync off, and it was slightly jerky again.

Anyone know why it behaves this way? I'd really play with Vsync with Triple Buffering but for some reason I get massive input lag with it on :\.

I've got a HD5870 so Vsync shouldn't make it sweat :lol. The game to begin with should run perfect on my rig, I think my computer is just anti-source, 90% of other games run great, so.

Façade

Neo Member
Easy_D said:
I noticed something odd with L4D2 today while playing.

I've been getting weird performance in this game forever, mostly it runs really fluid, no matter the zombie count or anything.

Today I decided I wanted to play with Vsync on, I selected it, with Triple Buffering as well, lo and behold, the game was a solid 60FPS, no matter what, no dipping or anything, I changed back to vsync off, and it was slightly jerky again.

Anyone know why it behaves this way? I'd really play with Vsync with Triple Buffering but for some reason I get massive input lag with it on :\.

I've got a HD5870 so Vsync shouldn't make it sweat :lol. The game to begin with should run perfect on my rig, I think my computer is just anti-source, 90% of other games run great, so.

I thought I was the only one. Most source games stutter for me, and turning off vsync in Half Life:Source removes the input lag like you say.

With LFD2 vsync doesn't seem to affect the stuttering I got, but this stuttering only tends to occur on Dead Centre which is strange - maybe these problems aren't linked in that case as this doesn't appear to be input lag.

I have a 5850, so this leaves me to believe that it could be an ATI driver problem.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Façade said:
I thought I was the only one. Most source games stutter for me, and turning off vsync in Half Life:Source removes the input lag like you say.

With LFD2 vsync doesn't seem to affect the stuttering I got, but this stuttering only tends to occur on Dead Centre which is strange - maybe these problems aren't linked in that case as this doesn't appear to be input lag.

I have a 5850, so this leaves me to believe that it could be an ATI driver problem.
By chance, do you have an E8500?

Edit: The reason I'm asking is because even TF2 ran weird on my 8800GT, which should be capable of running it, I mean, I ran TF2 on my old P4 with a Radeon 9600 with no real issues, granted I ran it in a low reso, but still.

Where the fuck is my The Passing?
RAGEEEEEEEEE

This, so much.

And I know this is going to sound noob-ish, but I was wondering how to compete in the carnival games to get Moustachio and Gnome Chompski - we might try to get them this weekend. Any tips/help?

Red Scarlet

All you do for the 'stronger than mustachio' one is
use an adrenaline, then hit the gong thing with your melee weapon attack or possibly being a Tank and hitting it may give you the achieve
and all you do for the whack a mole game is
just kill 42 'moles'. Make sure you continue so the # you killed stays around

Façade

Neo Member
Easy_D said:
By chance, do you have an E8500?

Edit: The reason I'm asking is because even TF2 ran weird on my 8800GT, which should be capable of running it, I mean, I ran TF2 on my old P4 with a Radeon 9600 with no real issues, granted I ran it in a low reso, but still.

No I've got an i5. I think it's more a gpu driver problem tbh.

Red Scarlet

Ok I used fraps during the finale of a new map we played and went to my control config a few times. Just for you Nabs, Pop, and whoever else is all 'wtf' and makes me cry.

Nessus

Red Scarlet said:
http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/ilikemycontrols.avi

Was a fun finale (it's a custom map called 'diescraper'), esp after the 2nd Tank. I fell into a pool twice, but I was blinded the first time and lost/trying to get away from the tank the 2nd. Anyway, it's just for you Nabs and Pop!

Mut and Story were curious about what happened the try before, so here you go Botolf too:
http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/diescraperoops.avi

It's so weird that none of you use mics.

I always play with the same group of friends and all of us have mics, can't imagine playing L4D without em.

andycapps

Mudkips said:
It is a good thing. I hate games that do this.
Hearing people loud and clear during a major battle is ridonkulous.

(I've never seen a PC game do this, because you would need a separate, dedicated sound channel for it).

That's how it is on consoles, I don't see why my PC can't do it if the coding was done by Valve. I don't think it's ridiculous to hear people loud and clear through my headset. That doesn't aid in immersion to have it coming through the speakers at all. What is the point in a headset where one side is covering up one of my ears, yet I can't hear anything through that earpiece? Why not just have a mic hanging from the ceiling in front of my face? It'd be able to pick me up and I'd be able to hear the game dialogue better. :lol

Nabs

Red Scarlet said:
Ok I used fraps during the finale of a new map we played and went to my control config a few times. Just for you Nabs, Pop, and whoever else is all 'wtf' and makes me cry.

oh yeah that video you sent the other day was nice, but your tank music would scare the shit out of me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The VS crew uses mics to make fun of each other mostly. And Vert uses his mic so we can hear him eating chicken nuggets. It's what keeps me playing the game still.

andycapps

Botolf said:
Lacking microphones isn't a problem for the Gaf coop crew, we're pretty quick to respond to situations as they develop :p

It was a problem for me when I played with you guys as I'm not used to having to look at the bottom left corner of my screen that often. I don't understand the whole no mic thing, especially if you play the game a lot and want to communicate.

Sibylus

Banned
Uh, we don't exactly rely too much on text chat either, mainly just for the odd strategy or alert, or when someone got grabbed and somehow wasn't rescued immediately. Coop-Gaf was beating L4D1 Expert with 2 people and still somehow managed well.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
andycapps said:
It was a problem for me when I played with you guys as I'm not used to having to look at the bottom left corner of my screen that often. I don't understand the whole no mic thing, especially if you play the game a lot and want to communicate.

Not everyone is comfortable speaking on the internet. I used to be that way until I realized I will never seen any of these people so it doesn't matter... until late one night we are chilling in Mumble bored and start facebook friending each other :lol

derFeef

I want to add to that no-mic talk. The game is giving away enough clues when something happens and it often is me, the one not talking, that is the first to rescue someone out of a bad situation. I have not played with a dedicated mic using group though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
derFeef said:
I want to add to that no-mic talk. The game is giving away enough clues when something happens and it often is me, the one not talking, that is the first to rescue someone out of a bad situation. I have not played with a dedicated mic using group though.

Then I guess you wouldn't know what you are missing out. Mics are pretty essential in VS if you ask me, for both sides too.

derFeef

Stallion Free said:
Then I guess you wouldn't know what you are missing out. Mics are pretty essential in VS if you ask me, for both sides too.
Hm, I do not play VS, coop is the way I play *runs away*. Makes me think of that I did not play L4D2 for months until yesterday. What an overwhelming experience it was. I was completely overwhelmed.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Façade said:
No I've got an i5. I think it's more a gpu driver problem tbh.
Most likely yes, given ATI's track record when it comes to drivers it really shouldn't be a surprise :lol.

Red Scarlet

Nessus said:
It's so weird that none of you use mics.

I always play with the same group of friends and all of us have mics, can't imagine playing L4D without em.

If anything, it may help with increasing awareness. Since we can't yell out "help I've been pounced", we listen for the in-game sounds and react to those instead. When I play vs, in a way it kind of makes it harder for me to locate the person if they are going "help me help me" over the in-game sounds. But talking is definitely better for planning things out in vs.

Nabs said:
oh yeah that video you sent the other day was nice, but your tank music would scare the shit out of me.

Can't remember what that vid was.

Twig

Banned
i want someone to go back and count the number of times the mic argument has come up in the l4d threads

number of stars in sky etc.

Sanjay

Twig said:
i want someone to go back and count the number of times the mic argument has come up in the l4d threads.

I normally do try my best to bring it up any time some some one chats about mics, its a cycle and will never end.

Top Bottom