• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Nessus

I really like the new campaign. Feels more like a full campaign than Crash Course, largely because of all the little details hidden in the map.

I love the wedding, and the bikers, how the common infected in relatively small areas were all dressed appropriately.

Was at work earlier tonight and was thinking how cool it is that when I get home the game I bought months suddenly has even more stuff in it, and completely free. I <3 Valve.

mats effect

Neo Member
I have to say I though the length of the campaign was much better for playing Versus or Expert. Some of the others where a bit too long to restart over and over when trying for expert.

Am I the only one who was kind of let down at The Passing? I expected more. They set this up as "omg the L4D1 survivors meet the L4D2 survivors!" Like it was a big deal.

I expected them to be a integral part of the campaign. They're more like a footnote. They're not a big deal at all - they just kind of stand there, almost completely stationary (save for the generic videogame idle animation where they sort of wobble in a loop forever).

I do, however, like all the intricate details in the maps. Stuff like... the open briefcase full of money and guns. It at least feels like it fits in with the rest of the L4D2 maps. But... I dunno. I expected something a bit more cooperative with the L4D1 guys. Like they'd help us and we'd help them at multiple points throughout the campaign and at the end both teams would part ways.

Instead, it's basically just another L4D2 campaign with some minor cameos. Would've been better if they had just left the appearance of the L4D1 survivors a secret. Then it would have been a pleasant surprise. But they built up my expectations and then failed to meet them. :\

vazel

Banned
Yea the survivor interaction was lame. I do like the level design. Maybe except that part where you drop from the restaurant onto the construction pit lots of noobs don't realize you have to drop and get lost there.

Reckoner

I'm kinda disappointed with Valve. It took so much time to make this new campaign, but it's too short. I played it today on the Advanced difficulty setting and it took 29 minutes to finish it and was the easiest L4D2 campaign I've ever played.

Sega1991 said:
Am I the only one who was kind of let down at The Passing? I expected more. They set this up as "omg the L4D1 survivors meet the L4D2 survivors!" Like it was a big deal.
I was thinking they would have more of a presence throughout the whole campaign, so i was kinda disappointed on that front. The interactions that are in there are really good though.

I was underwhelmed with the campaign on first playthrough, but i think that was more to do with the randoms i was playing with pretty much rushing through it. My second playthrough with HK-47, Ezekiel45 and wenis was infinitely more enjoyable, as i got to take in all the details better. I still would've liked it to be a bit longer.

Rubezh said:
Realism versus is fantastic, I wish they would make it a permanent game mode.
Agreed. I've gotten pretty bored of normal versus. Realism makes it much more interesting and exciting to play.

Alex

Eh, the amount and quality of content distributed throughout the patch on the whole makes up than any measly bit of fan service could've added. It's just a nice, solid kit with some great content and that's what everyone I played with took it as.

The L4D1 cast isn't exactly that interesting anyway. I would've been more annoyed if they had wasted content development time on making a bunch of new hooks and scripts for them.

I would agree that they probably didn't need to make it the poster child of the DLC pack though, but maybe it follows through to other additions in the future like some people speculate.

And yes, I too wish for the next pack to be delivered faster. I'm not going to beat on my desk and camp at the PC complaining about how my freebies aren't released at the stroke of midnight, but even if it's not full blown campaigns I would still like to see trickles of content done in more regularly.

Sega1991 said:
Tell that to the people paying $7 for it on the Xbox 360.

I don't think people on the 360 are new to the realm of paying for services that are free on other platforms. :p Not a lot of sympathy for folks who buy Valve games on consoles and expect equal treatment with PC users, I think the precedent there has pretty much been set.

Rubezh

Volcynika said:
Did they put the new additions into the other maps? (M60, storage lockers, etc) Or is it exclusive to The Passing for now?

Exclusive for now. I tried give rifle_m60 on other maps and the gun isn't fully functional.

Alex said:
The L4D1 cast isn't exactly that interesting anyway.

Speak for yourself.
emosternwx8-1.png

I, personally, prefer the L4D1 crew to the L4D2 crew. That's not to say the L4D2 guys are bad and I hate them - quite the opposite. But if given the option, I prefer the L4D1 characters.

Which undoubtedly ties in to my disappointment.

vazel

Banned
Francis > all other 7 survivors. What would've been awesome is as you're making your way through the level the survivors are on the rooftops and popping out of windows helping you out which is what I sorta thought it was going to be like.

jet1911

ChackanKun said:
Anyone else getting the :"Cannot contact the steam network bla bla try later?"

Try this. Worked for me.

Greetings from the TF2 boards! As most of you are well aware we have "popular patches" released every few months in the form of class updates. And each time (even more so with the WAR update the other month) Steam gets borked royally causing no end of fun for those of us that just want to play with the new content.

But fear not my zombie killing brothers for I have a solution! Simply open Steam, click your Steam dropdown, select "Settings", click the "Downloads" tab, and use the region to somewhere where the server load isn't so severe (protip: France is lovely this time of year.).

When you are finished downloading the patch simply switch back to your original settings and go massacre the undead.

Gentlemen.

denomes

Ran through the campaign last night by myself just to get a feel for it and I thought it was awesome! I can't believe some of the negativity in this thread. You get:

- Interaction between the two casts (albeit limited)
- A major revelation in the passing of one of the survivors
- A new Midnight Riders song
- A Midnight Riders easter egg
- A new melee weapon
- A new special survivor
- A new weapon + the crates
- Mutations (weekly!)

It was free for me on PC, but even at $7 it's well worth it and I would have happily paid for it.

The wedding scene with the new Midnight Riders song is zombie-killing bliss. So badass.

I'm starting to think that the Midnight Riders will be the focus of Left 4 Dead 3 and their appearances in Left 4 Dead 2 are nothing but the most clever marketing campaign for a game ever, in a way only Valve can pull off.

Rubezh

The jockey is so hilarious on realism versus :lol. I love sneaking up on people, pulling them away into hidden backalleys and having their teammates not realise where they've gone.

Anyone else unable to open Steam this morning? It acts like it's doing a client update but says "Cannot contact the Steam network, please try later."

andycapps

Had an awesome time with Blue, Volcynika, and Twig last night in this. Was a nice map, I liked the tunnel part and running through the water. Man that part is going to suck in versus. The finale is pretty awesome, though I don't feel like the scavenge design itself is super awesome. It seems more like the map was setup for versus and scavenge than for the campaign itself, which is okay I guess as that's where most people will spend their time. And
Poor Bill! I saw him in there and was like, holy crap... So that's how he went out.
Obviously the new Midnight Riders songs were awesome as was the witch
bride
. The golf club sounds awesome and does a lot of damage, but as soon as I saw the katana I ditched it for that. Katana is still the best melee weapon to me. The speed is great and has so much damage. Didn't get a chance to rock the M60 as someone *ahem* got to it ahead of me.

The fallen survivors are cool too. I liked the campaign a lot, I can't wait to play this on realism and try out scavenge on it.

I don't really like the last level. The gas cans are too spread out, and if there are bots then they're still too stupid to pick them up.

Meanwhile the Special Infected AI continues to get more and more brutal and intelligent. :p

EmCeeGramr said:
I don't really like the last level. The gas cans are too spread out, and if there are bots then they're still too stupid to pick them up.

Meanwhile the Special Infected AI continues to get more and more brutal and intelligent. :p
Once me and my friend figured out where to toss far off gas cans to get them closer to the generator, it became a whole lot easier. Also the special infected weren't too much to handle. Tanks become a piece of cake as long as you run back to the building with the L4D1 survivors to help you take em down.

andycapps

GoldandBlue said:
Once me and my friend figured out where to toss far off gas cans to get them closer to the generator, it became a whole lot easier. Also the special infected weren't too much to handle. Tanks become a piece of cake as long as you run back to the building with the L4D1 survivors to help you take em down.

True, it's going to be an interesting map to try in scavenge. I imagine the best way will be for 2 to retrieve and 2 to follow them and stay below and ready to bring the cans back.. But it's definitely going to be interesting because the cans are so spread out.

Dead Center is still probably going to be the best scavenge map, the cans are closer but they're on different levels. This is just going to be tricky because of how far apart they are and having to carry them all the way back.. In Dead Center you can just toss them all downstairs.. Granted, it gets hard when you're playing with good people.

delirium

Apparently you can skip The Passing's gauntlet even in the 2nd map on the singleplayer/coop maps? I just did it in single player but I don't know if its true for multiplayer.

syllogism

"Headshot! - The only shot that counts is the one in the head."
"Bleed Out - Your health is a ticking away." ( Coming next week.
"Hard Eight - Double the specials, quadruple the fun!"
"Four Swordsmen - Four Swords against plenty of apocalypse!"
"Ultra Realism - The ultimate realistic challenge."
"Chainsaw Massacre - 4 chainsaws, millions of zombies."
"Iron Man - No respawns, no restarts, all tension."
"Last Gnome On Earth - Protect the gnome at all cost."
"Room For One - Only room for one survivor in this rescue vehicle."
"Healthpackalypse! - No health in this versus game."
"Realism Versus - You can't see each other but they can see you."
"Follow the Liter - Scavenge one can at a time."
"Gib Fest - Blast the infected to shreds with M60s."
"Versus Survival - Can you survive against your friends?"
"Mutation - a Mutation of Campaign mode."
"Mutation - a Mutation of Campaign mode."
"Mutation - a Mutation of Versus mode."
"Mutation - a Mutation of Scavenge mode."

Single player only mutation modes:

"Last Man on Earth - You will become legend to the infected as the last human left."

"The Last Samurai – Alone, armed with only a sword you venture forth."

mutations

Oh my... All over my face..... Please.

Playing it through the fourth or fifth time, just as much as other campaigns. Love it. Trying to get people to understand to bring the tanks at the finale to
The other survivors
is frustrating though. :lol

I love this game so much.

"Hard Eight - Double the specials, quadruple the fun!"
"Ultra Realism - The ultimate realistic challenge."
"Iron Man - No respawns, no restarts, all tension."
"Last Gnome On Earth - Protect the gnome at all cost."
"Room For One - Only room for one survivor in this rescue vehicle."
"Realism Versus - You can't see each other but they can see you."
"Versus Survival - Can you survive against your friends?"
"Last Man on Earth - You will become legend to the infected as the last human left."

These ones seem like they'll be amazing.

pix

Just bought this on lunch. Downloading now while im at work. Any recommendations on what I should do first? Campaign or jump straight into Multiplayer?

Volcynika

pix said:
Just bought this on lunch. Downloading now while im at work. Any recommendations on what I should do first? Campaign or jump straight into Multiplayer?

Try to campaign with friends, or helpful gaffers!

Id say play all the campaigns first. Then you know where to find weapons, health and where the tricky parts are etc.

edit: Campaign is with other players of course, I wouldn't play single player.

Minamu

I've just finished the two first campaigns with bots. Skipped Passing for the time being. Playing with bots ain't that bad. And it's hard to concentrate on what little story there is when you have to play perfectly with PUGs who scream at you for being a newb.

The end of Dark Carnival was rough! First time I made it half way to the helicopter but turned back to help the bots which got me killed as well. Managed to reach the second helicopter (he switched sides & almost chopped my head off! :lol) but the bots didn't even try o_O

Twig said:
Never play single player.

You only ruin the game for yourself if you do. ):

I on the other hand, say, either before or after going through everything with friends, go through by yourself once. There's less pressure to keep up with the group and you can basically explore at your own pace.

Some of the mutations are too gimmicky... a week devoted to a swords only campaign? I mean, i'll probably play it once or twice, but it just seems a waste if you can already do it voluntarily.

Ultra Realism and Iron Man definitely have my attention, the later mainly because I love the concept of permadeath in games. Soon as one person goes down... that feeling knowing they aren't coming back at all will be very cool.

I wish they would make Versus Realism into a permanent mode. ACTUALLY I wish they would make a full on realism where the infected can't see the survivors outline at all when the flashlight is off (even when running and shooting... following regular zombies and watching for muzzle flash should be enough). Or maybe the Hunter could sense the survivors all the time and would just try to have to communicate their position to the other infected.

The new maps are awesome, and make me wish they would just go balls out and make a half-life 2 style epic game with scripted events and in-game cutscenes (like reaching a survivor's holdout finally and talking to other immune people), and just let 1-4 players go at it.

Twig

Banned
Sega1991 said:
I on the other hand, say, either before or after going through everything with friends, go through by yourself once. There's less pressure to keep up with the group and you can basically explore at your own pace.
Never ever listen to this man. Worst. WORST.

I don't understand why mutations are just a weekly thing, why not just make them permanent mini-modes? Especially stuff like Survival Versus and Realism Versus, those should have been options from the front. I mean these sound great, but why make them weekly options when they could be permanent ones? I feel like they're just trying to milk them by trickling them out so slowly.

Nabs

Twig said:
Never ever listen to this man. Worst. WORST.
Yeah, don't be afraid to mess up, that's half the fun.

BuddhaRockstar said:
I don't understand why mutations are just a weekly thing, why not just make them permanent mini-modes? Especially stuff like Survival Versus and Realism Versus, those should have been options from the front. I mean these sound great, but why make them weekly options when they could be permanent ones? I feel like they're just trying to milk them by trickling them out so slowly.

Yeah, how tough would it be to roll 'em out, but keep em there for us to play with? It's going to be a sad day when Realism VS disappears. I'm glad they started w/ a good one, hopefully the community will come through and convince them to keep it for good.

Twig

Banned
Yeah, I agree.

And for that matter, I don't know why the game modes aren't more customizable in the first place. Think Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Just add a ton of options, and let people decide how they want to play while they're still in the lobby.

Of course that might fuck with server mods, but if it's done right it should negate the need for server mods in the first place.

But hey that's just my opinion. X:

Top Bottom