• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

deadlydeadite

Neo Member
I was never that big on L4D and what I've seen of L4D2 didn't really impress me, but at $20 I couldn't resist.

Though a big factor is now I'll have a game to play with my RL friends that never got into TF2.

FerranMG

Hey, I played through the Passing campaing and then a couple of scavenge rounds, and did not see any damn golf club!

Is it hidden or what?

I liked the campaign, but found the finale way too easy. Playing on medium, after the bridge was down, not a single zombie came to fuck our way out. :/
Maybe bugged, I'll have to try again, but again I found it to be the easiest finale amongst all of them.

Sober

Did they permanently add the baseball bat to everyone for L4D2 now, or is it just in The Passing that I can pick one up, since I don't have that preorder bonus?

FerranMG said:
Hey, I played through the Passing campaing and then a couple of scavenge rounds, and did not see any damn golf club!

Is it hidden or what?

I liked the campaign, but found the finale way too easy. Playing on medium, after the bridge was down, not a single zombie came to fuck our way out. :/
Maybe bugged, I'll have to try again, but again I found it to be the easiest finale amongst all of them.

It's not hidden, just bad luck i guess. It can actually be the starting melee weapon pickup.

Red Scarlet

Hooray, can read topic again. Was fun, the 2nd map's event seems like it could be real hard on adv/expert. I've got 3 recordings of folks playing the first time not including my game, maybe I can compile them after a bit.

You can jump through the first window in the game and go inside the walls, can't do anything though.

I had no idea The Passing takes place in Savannah, GA. I was playing the campaign and thought, wow this looks just like River St. and then holy shit these are those walkways i've been here before.

Talamius

One thing I noticed was the survivor AI has been slightly improved. Where before if you were snared they would draw pistols and run backwards to your location regardless of the situation, they now keep their primary out
and do the moonwalk to you

StayUp

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Lol, Crazy Dave from Plants vs. Zombies?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
StayUp said:
Untitled-1-1.jpg

Lol, Crazy Dave from Plants vs. Zombies?

Other references to Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead Remake, Shaun of the Dead, and Dead Rising.

Also did anyone glimpse the Midnight Riders making a quick getaway in the beginning of The Underground? =P

The Passing is brilliant, I haven't played versus yet but it looks like it'd be a lot of fun for the SI. The second map finale would be insane with water slowdown, is it hard to spawn there?

Also, is it just me or has the SI spawn rate increased? Mostly chargers and smokers, one seems to show up very shortly after the previous one dies.

MNC

Bill :( I was like, okay, he's not on the bridge during finale.. Maybe valve is up to some old tricks! Then I saw the body and I got startled and I let out a small eep sound or something. Bill :( His face doesn't really look the same... Perhaps it's a different war veteran.

Oh bill :(

Sibylus

Banned
I still want to be the first sacrificial lamb in the L4D1 campaign (looking forward to it loads now). It would be an honour!

Sibylus

Banned
derFeef said:
I must say it´s pretty
ruthless how they show Bill´s body. It is so sad to see him lying there.
Agreed.
No blanket to cover him up or anything, just the poor guy slumped over :<

Botolf said:
Agreed.
No blanket to cover him up or anything, just the poor guy slumped over :<
I was wondering if
a Tank killed him. When the original Survivors killed one they said "That was for Bill!" or something like that. Not sure if it was for killing the Tank or just anything, though...but it was around its death, so, yeah.

MNC

Enjoyed this campaign so much more than crash course. Crash course felt like a bit of a usecreated map... It had nothing special, no extra dialogue, nothing out of the ordinary you would expect from developer created content.

This fixes all that. Neat dialogue, interesting story development (Hell, an original survivor dies, that's pretty daring) interesting gameplay options (3 of the originals appear) and not to mention the level design was top notch. I really liked the neonlit streets, buildings, bars, (PISTOLSSSS AND MONEY IN A SUITCAAAASE) and so much more.

This was a triumph.

Sibylus

Banned
dragonlife29 said:
I was wondering if
a Tank killed him. When the original Survivors killed one they said "That was for Bill!" or something like that. Not sure if it was for killing the Tank or just anything, though...but it was around its death, so, yeah.
Hmm.
No traces of Tanks when you get there, hmm. If it was a Tank, maybe it just threw him really hard through the door and into the generator and ran off. Ow.

Sibylus

Banned
I agree with you, MNC. Much better than Crash Course. The next L4D1 campaign is bound to better too, judging from the improvements made here.

CC did have new dialogue, though ;)

MNC

Botolf said:
I agree with you, MNC. Much better than Crash Course. The next L4D1 campaign is bound to better too, judging from the improvements made here.

CC did have new dialogue, though ;)
Really? I must be one of the few that was hit by an audio bug. What was there all to say? Or was it just the intro with the flycam...? :p

Sibylus

Banned
MNC said:
Really? I must be one of the few that was hit by an audio bug. What was there all to say? Or was it just the intro with the flycam...? :p
There was a fair bit of contextual dialogue. Zoey talked about free copy paper, Francis talked about how the latest issue of a magazine sucked, etc. Bill didn't have any new lines as far as I know.

MNC said:

Louis says something along the lines of "This must be the alley that Francis was born in" among other things which was pretty damn funny the first time I heard it. CC was short so you should have heard everything over a few playthroughs.

Nabs

MNC said:

the audio bug was due to some custom campaign.

Still waiting for a drop in L4D2 price! Not that it isn't worth even more than the current price tag, I just had too much gaming income earlier lol

derFeef

ChackanKun said:
Still waiting for a drop in L4D2 price! Not that it isn't worth even more than the current price tag, I just had too much gaming income earlier lol
Hm, the current sale is up until monday so I would not expect a lower price than that anytime soon.

Eccocid

hey i am a L4D virgin and right now i am in Argentina so if i buy L4D2 will i get low ping when i try to play with ppl from states or europe? Do servers work like in TF2? Is it all P2P?!

Red Scarlet

I have 3 demos from folks that recorded, thanks guys.

My zip has 2 plays, since it is 6/8 first plays. First one is my, Pop on Arrivals, and RD's first time playing it, the second one is Botolf and my second, and ElectricBlue and The Storyteller's first go around.

http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/L4D/passing1stplays.zip

Eccocid said:
hey i am a L4D virgin and right now i am in Argentina so if i buy L4D2 will i get low ping when i try to play with ppl from states or europe? Do servers work like in TF2? Is it all P2P?!

It's not P2P (unless you choose local host). Whoever is the lobby leader gets a server close to him or her. You'd probably have 200-250 ping, which is playable, but depends on the player if it is worth it. I'm in the US and play/played with folks from Australia and Asia on expert.

Speaking of CC, was the line, "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" a reference to The IT Crowd? Or is that just me wanting to see a connection?

the passing is sooo much better than crash course.

i'm really impressed with how high up you can get as the infected.

it has always bothered me that there's not very many excellent pounce spots in L4D2 like there is in the first one.

derFeef

Red Scarlet said:

My zip has 2 plays, since it is 6/8 first plays. First one is my, Pop on Arrivals, and RD's first time playing it, the second one is Botolf and my second, and ElectricBlue and The Storyteller's first go around.

Cool, will watch. If OmegaDragon does not re-upload his demo anytime soon I can do it if I get home in 2 hours. Never saw me playing in L4D2 so I am very anxious to see my noobieness from other perspectives.

Eccocid

Red Scarlet said:

It's not P2P (unless you choose local host). Whoever is the lobby leader gets a server close to him or her. You'd probably have 200-250 ping, which is playable, but depends on the player if it is worth it. I'm in the US and play/played with folks from Australia and Asia on expert.

Well then, i am buying it! I would also need a headset i guess :(

Red Scarlet

Yeah it's neat seeing you from someone else's eyes.

Hm, tried playing Vol and Twig's demo, looks like they already updated the game again today.

If you try playing a demo and in the console it says this:

ERROR: demo network protocol 2012 outdated, engine version is 2013

What you do to be able to watch the demo is exit the game, then go to the l4d2 folder (for me it is steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2). Look for a file called steam.inf

Right now at the top of that file it should say PatchVersion=2.0.1.3
All you do is change the numbers to what the error said in the game (so the above would be 2.0.1.2). Just change it, save the file, then go into the game and the demo will run. Just change the version number back to the current one to play the game again w/ people.

It also works the same way with l4d1 demos.

HK-47 said:
Other references to Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead Remake, Shaun of the Dead, and Dead Rising.

Also did anyone glimpse the Midnight Riders making a quick getaway in the beginning of The Underground? =P
I knew I missed something pass by really fast in what I think was a car and one of the characters say something along the lines of, "Was that... did I just.... nah. No way."

Nabs

Eccocid said:
Well then, i am buying it! I would also need a headset i guess :(
just get a desktop mic, or one of those clip on mics. should be much cheaper than a headset.

ChackanKun said:

it's 20 bucks... 15 with the four pack. i dont see it getting any cheaper until christmas.

Top Bottom